• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN to limit gamesharing from five to two -Not retroactive- (Andriasang)

AwRy108

Neuromancer said:
It was only a matter of time I suppose.

Oh well, Sony's loss. Probably more than half the time I bought PSN games was with the knowledge I'd be able to share it with my friend. I would not be surprised if this resulted in less games being bought over all (probably no real good way to track that though.)

You can still with your friend, just not 4 of them.

Also, to clarify (I verified this with SCEA's Customer Support): your account can be active on 2 PS3's AND 2 PSP's; in other words, cross platform games (eg. PSOne titles) can be played on up to 4 systems (2 consoles, 2 handhelds).

lupinko said:
Yep, this is no different than Apple's iTunes account 5 limit Activations as well.

Gamers just got greedy. lol
I am completely against sharing accounts for profit. That said, I have not shared my ID with anyone especially when I have over a $1000 invested in it. I own 3 PS3s (one of them I bought last month) that is used by me and my brothers. I buy games (and shit loads of them) cause Sony allows multiple activation.

I support companies that try to reward users for making a purchase, not punish them.

lupinko

Personally I would rather have this remote deactivation with the compromise of going from 5 to 2 activations.

I'd rather have peace of mind if my machine croaks than worry about trying to harvest/being mindful of activation limits that if you have no access to, you are FUBAR.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
From the timing, seems like they reduced it to prevent Vita sharing, which would make sense. Makes you wonder why they didn't do this earlier

see5harp

shagg_187 said:
3 is a sweeter number than 2.

Dude why do you own 3 ps3's and 3 psps? That absolutely ridiculous. Do you live with your two brothers and all like to play the same PSN games at the same time?

see5harp said:
Dude why do you own 3 ps3's and 3 psps? That absolutely ridiculous. Do you live with your two brothers and all like to play the same PSN games at the same time?
... Yes. Even if we don't play the same game together (which currently you can't with timed DRM), the whole activating/deactivating process can be annoying.

Our taste in games are different, but the ease of playing any game at any time in any console is a godly feature and is the reason why my 360 and Wii is collecting dust. You can play splitscreen/coop or you can play your own thing. Run out of controller battery? Connect the other one. Gaming with brothers is a more blessful experience than playing online with nobodies.

Oh well, I'll stick to PC gaming and let them be console gamers, I suppose.

B-Ri

see5harp said:

For me, I have a PS3 at my moms house in OC, one at my partners in Newport, and one at my apartment in Hollywood, with PS+ Cloud Game Saving, that meant where ever I went i had full access to my games to play anywhere, it was amazing.

Also I have a PSP and my sister has my old PSP fat, we were using our content we got, it was a great system.

I love the new online deactivation thats being added, so If i had to give up some PS3 activations to have it, Ill take it.

AwRy108 said:
You can still with your friend, just not 4 of them.

Also, to clarify (I verified this with SCEA's Customer Support): your account can be active on 2 PS3's AND 2 PSP's; in other words, cross platform games (eg. PSOne titles) can be played on up to 4 systems (2 consoles, 2 handhelds).
Ok that's not so bad then.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Gain remote activate/deactivate services that I've bitched ENDLESSLY FOR YEARS to get, remove five activation limit.

GG Sony. Two steps forward, ONE GIANT STEP BACK. >:|

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
It really had to be done to be honest.
Alot of people was over sharing, it's cool as a temp thing for a person to try it out but if each game has a demo then it shouldn't be an issue.

I understand the problem about the people who own 2+ PS3's in a house, since I own 3 in my house but realistically, how often are you playing PSN games on each system?

ie. I'll play a disc based game in other rooms if I want to not be bothered by anyone, so an active console shouldn't be an isue.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I have no problem with that. I only share between two PS3s anyway, and they're both in my apartment.

Besides, as long as managing rights is made easy, it shouldn't be a problem at all. The big problems start when you're not able to de-auth broken units and dumb shit like that.

AndyD

aka andydumi
jstevenson said:
Nothing you are saying contradicts my comments

I think there is confusion over "YOUR" in your statement.

I think you are trying to say that the DRM system was meant (internally at Sony) as a personal allowance for your own systems but marketed and talked about as a game sharing system to friends and so forth. Which is a disconnect between design and implementation and marketing.

I think my suggestion of guest temporary licenses would still allow for the sharing to friends mentality while the current DRM system can be used as a personal limitation as it was always intended. 2 is low though, I wish it was three. I feel there are a lot of people with three because of its Bluray and movie streaming capabilities to various rooms. And it will be more and more common as the price comes down further and further.

see5harp

B-Ri said:
For me, I have a PS3 at my moms house in OC, one at my partners in Newport, and one at my apartment in Hollywood, with PS+ Cloud Game Saving, that meant where ever I went i had full access to my games to play anywhere, it was amazing.

Also I have a PSP and my sister has my old PSP fat, we were using our content we got, it was a great system.

I love the new online deactivation thats being added, so If i had to give up some PS3 activations to have it, Ill take it.

I suppose that's convenient. I guess I just don't leave consoles everywhere I go. You are like some nerdy Johnny applesseed.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
So to theorize here...

I could buy a game and the second person to DL claims that share? And is it like anyone I choose? Like I want 1 person to have this game and the other to have the other game? Or once anyone else DL's a piece of content, their the 2nd share forever?

It sucks but at least all the content bought beforehand will be left alone.

Deadstar

I'm really happy that I will be able to manage MY purchases. It finally makes sense. I should be able to choose what systems are active with my content so it's not confusing if I have to buy a new ps3 and deactivate old ones.

Cruzader

Banned
This is good all around. Specially the website management site.

This is great in that those who gameshare and exploit the system are the only ones losing out. Works for all of us. Sadly it will negatively affect a few of users who may have more than 2 systems.

Zoe

Degen said:
The PS3's ToS did a pretty good job of validating that too, in my opinion

Yep. You're not supposed to share your login information according to the TOS.

Petrie

Banned
Cruzader said:
This is good all around. Specially the website management site.

This is great in that those who gameshare and exploit the system are the only ones losing out. Works for all of us. Sadly it will negatively affect a few of users who may have more than 2 systems.

If you can't use your games on more than 2 systems, it kinda defeats the whole point of the cloud saving PS+ added, at least for non-disk releases.

Didn't they say long ago that gamesharing was a feature?

If they wanted to limit it to individual use, knock the system activation nonsense all together, tie content to a specific account use and be done with it. Then you don't bother the people who actually do have multiple systems to play on.

Oh my god they're taking away features let's use it as an excuse to hack shit to pieces, give everyone free trophies, and knock PSN out for a month and a half thereby ruining things for millions of people who've never even heard of gamesharing!

Zoe

Petrie said:
If you can't use your games on more than 2 systems, it kinda defeats the whole point of the cloud saving PS+ added, at least for non-disk releases.

Locked saves?

winjet81

I'm not really sure I understand the whole activate/de-activate system with regard to game licenses.

I've got two PSPs activated on the same PSN account (sharing about 20 downloaded games) and plan on getting two Vitas in the spring.

Will I be able to de-activate the two PSPs, activate the two Vitas and then play my existing download library on the Vitas? Or do I have to re-purchase those game licenses?

Zoe

winjet81 said:
I'm not really sure I understand the whole activate/de-activate system with regard to game licenses.

I've got two PSPs activated on the same PSN account (sharing about 20 downloaded games) and plan on getting two Vitas in the spring.

Will I be able to de-activate the two PSPs, activate the two Vitas and then play my existing download library on the Vitas? Or do I have to re-purchase those game licenses?

You can deactivate and reactivate as many times as you want.

jsnepo

I love the management website though. I hope it will enable me to deactivate my PSN account from my YLOD unit.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
I've never used gamesharing... but my household has 3 PS3s. :|

Oh well, it's not a huge inconvenience and it's nice that you can manually activate/deactivate now. Still, here's another thing pushing me towards being predominantly a PC gamer these days.

AranhaHunter said:
Is this true? What's the DRM on idevices? I can buy it once and share it with however many idevices I want?
I have 4 iPhones and an iPad2, they all use just one account, one purchase all content available on all devices, music, movies, books and apps.

Same with Kindle, Zinio, who knows what else.

Zoe

Nick Laslett said:
I have 4 iPhones and an iPad2, they all use just one account, one purchase all content available on all devices, music, movies, books and apps.

Same with Kindle, Zinio, who knows what else.

I think people are more adamant about using only their personal accounts when it comes to games though...

alstein

There's always going to be people unhappy. The people with 3 PS3 should be upset, they are getting screwed.

I understand the need for gamesharing to go away. How many households have 3 PS3's, it's probably a very small number.

I don't think 98% of PS3 owners who aren't gamesharing like mad will have a problem. 2% will.

boingball

I think I can live with the limit to 2 PS3 (even though I have 3 PS3, one of them still in storage). As long as I am able to play with all accounts on my PS3 (Hello Polyphony! Fix the GT5 DLC rip-off!).

Jomjom

Banned
Hmmm so if you have 3 systems activated, all your old stuff prior to Nov. 18 will still work on all 3 systems. But what happens to the new stuff you download? Will it just work on the first two systems that you boot the game on and then the third will tell you that you are out of activations?

whitehawk

Banned
blitzcloud said:
well, considering a call can deactivate your system, the chance that you deactivate it aswell before it goes totally dead, and the fact that you would still have the chance to download it on another system... i think this isn't an issue.

But, to peoplewith 3 ps3s on a household, it may be a problem.
lol whut?

sangreal

3 PS3s in a household isn't that bizarre when you consider any shared living environment. roommates, frat house, siblings etc.

The need to have your games on all 3 is dubious, however

sangreal

jstevenson said:
Fairly confident that the PSN Store DRM (5 copies to YOUR activated PS3s) was never supposed to be marketed as "Game sharing" - something this news would only seem to validate

I agree, and I wouldn't say it was marketed or advertised but it was explicitly condoned by the SCEA President:

If a player logs into his PlayStation 3 account on a friend's system, he can download any game he has already purchased. "You can send that content to four other friends for that initial investment," said Tretton. "We want to get the game in as many hands as possible."
http://www.wired.com/gaming/gamingreviews/news/2006/10/71982#ixzz0zTRNoJyc

Why Sony never walked back that quote is anybody's guess

Dynedom

Not entirely bummed about this but I do wish it was up to 3.

The remote activation/deactivation is huge and something that should have happened ages ago.

Top Bottom