• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN to limit gamesharing from five to two -Not retroactive- (Andriasang)

LuchaShaq

Banned
GraveRobberX said:
All those non-advertised games will suffer, which there are a fuck-ton

I mean Sony & PSN doesn't really shine in that department

I mean most games don't have demos, so if group bought (game sharing wise) it wasn't that much of money wasted and you didn't take a huge hit

I know a lot of people game shared Payday The Heist, @$20, most people on my friends list split it 2-4 people.
So there you go

Lack of demos is why I usually never even find out about psn games until they are 2$ on steam like shatter or they are in a giantbomb quick look and seem awesome like joe danger.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Going along with this change, Sony will be making the process of deactivating games simpler. Previously, you could only activate and deactivate games on the PS3 or PSP. Sony will be opening a PlayStation Network account management website, and you'll now be able to handle your rights there.

YES. I'll take limited sharing for this. I have a couple old active accounts that I need to kill, and this would be the only way.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
DangerousDave said:
Steam only allow 1 active account. You can have offline mode, I suppose that with PS3 will happen the same, if you deactivate a console, but that console is not online, no problem.
Steam doesn't inherently have any activations limits as far as I know, but there are some specific games with SecureROM and whatnot that do have limits. In general, all you have to do is just log in on a different PC and your games are available to you.

OMG, you'll finally be able to deactivate your console on their website? :O That's great news! I really didn't like having to call them up to deactivate my console when it broke. Always wanted that to be a feature I could do easily online. Well, that's one less thing to worry about. The gamesharing thing, though, I never used it.

MrPliskin

Banned
DoomXploder7 said:
Only 2 "portable" slots is terribad, I really hope this doesn't mean there will only be 2 console slots for when ps4 comes out.

Why exactly would you need to keep your PSP active if you get a Vita? All of your DLC content is playable on the Vita, so there is literally zero reason to keep your PSP active at that point...

I see no problem.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Yoboman said:
What happens if I buy a new PS3 and then PS4 comes out? I won't be able to redownload these games?
If you are already using two activations, you deactivate a PS3 and log in/activate your PS4. If you are only using one PS3 activation then you could keep both active and you don't have to do anything.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Only thing I am not ok with is the Vita being in the same slot as the PSP. Should really be its own spot, but maybe Sony Realizes that it is going to be a small minority of people who Own a PSP, PSP Go, and a Vita.

chaosblade said:
Steam doesn't inherently have any activations limits as far as I know, but there are some specific games with SecureROM and whatnot that do have limits. In general, all you have to do is just log in on a different PC and your games are available to you.

I went to my parent's house, downloaded and installed steam with my account. Played some games. Forgot to take out autologin.

Then I went back to my home. Opened steam (well, with autolog) and after a while steam disconnected me with the message that I connected in another location. It was because someone restarted the computer at my parent's house. I had to change the password to prevent this (easier than saying to my parents to uninstall steam).

So you can't play the games online with 2 different computers at the same time. With PS2 you will still be able to play with a friend, online, with a game bought once at the same time. Yes, in Steam don't activate or deactivate anything, but the effect is the same. There is one system active and when you login, you deactivate the other systems.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
DangerousDave said:
I went to my parent's house, downloaded and installed steam with my account. Played some games. Forgot to take out autologin.

Then I went back to my home. Opened steam (well, with autolog) and after a while steam disconnected me with the message that I connected in another location. It was because someone restarted the computer at my parent's house. I had to change the password to prevent this (easier than saying to my parents to uninstall steam).
It is, but I think Steam Also glitched a bit. I think if a computer auto logs into an account that is in use, it is supposed to ask you to reenter your password. I think. At the very least, some sort of box should pop up, they most likely hit it. You really should make steam stop starting up at launch on your parents pc.

klee123

I'm actually really happy with this tbh.

I've got a broken PS3 which I can deactivate so that frees one slot for one of my old games.

With regards to Vita taking up a PSP slot and PS4 eventually taking up the same slots as the PS3. The way I see it is if I'm migrating my activations to the newer consoles in the future, I won't even need to use the older consoles for downloadable games anyways and even if I did, I could easily activate and deactivate systems to my will.

I can see people being pissed due to gamesharing, but yeah. A really welcome feature IMO.

MrPliskin

Banned
Drkirby said:
Only thing I am not ok with is the Vita being in the same slot as the PSP. Should really be its own spot, but maybe Sony Realizes that it is going to be a small minority of people who Own a PSP, PSP Go, and a Vita.

People own PSP Gos?

No really, explain to me why your not okay with it. I mean, a very distinct scenario where this is actually a problem for you, as a gamer. I don't want any fantasy shit like "oh well I own 2 PSP's, gave one to my sister, one to my brother, and bought a vita because I'm charitable". I mean real world scenarios where keeping both a PSP and Vita active is necessary (considering, as far as I know, the vita is, or will be, backwards compatible with PSP content).

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
MrPliskin said:
People own PSP Gos?

No really, explain to me why your not okay with it. I mean, a very distinct scenario where this is actually a problem for you, as a gamer. I don't want any fantasy shit like "oh well I own 2 PSP's, gave one to my sister, one to my brother, and bought a vita because I'm charitable". I mean real world scenarios where keeping both a PSP and Vita active is necessary (considering, as far as I know, the vita is, or will be, backwards compatible with PSP content).

You want to play PSOne cames on a portable device?

Play them on PSP. Vita for Vita stuff.

Bam 2 slots.

Just to make sure I understand what's going on, if I have 4 idiot friends who have access to my account and don't want to deactivate (this would allow me access to my stuff on my new ps3) I could just deactivate them myself?

If so, I love you Sony. If not, and if this is retroactive too, then this is bs.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
MrPliskin said:
People own PSP Gos?

I just like the idea of a 1 system leeway. A person could have and use both a PSP and a Vita, and with the way people upgrade portables, and old second PSP.

And like 20k people did buy the Go!

RamboTurismo said:
Just to make sure I understand what's going on, if I have 4 idiot friends who have access to my account and don't want to deactivate (this would allow me access to my stuff on my new ps3) I could just deactivate them myself?

If so, I love you Sony. If not, and if this is retroactive too, then this is bs.
Yeah, you can remote deactivate. Which is great for me, since there is an old PS3 I have out that I didn't think to deactivate before selling.

MrPliskin

Banned
Wario64 said:
You want to play PSOne cames on a portable device?

Play them on PSP. Vita for Vita stuff.

Bam 2 slots.

So where is the problem? You have two slots, and two devices.

Even then, Vita will (eventually?) get PSOne support, so when that happens, your PSP becomes a UMD machine only, and no activation is necessary. So...problem?

Drkirby said:
I just like the idea of a 1 system leeway. A person could have and use both a PSP and a Vita, and with the way people upgrade portables, and old second PSP.

And like 20k people did buy the Go!

Yeah, you can remote deactivate. Which is great for me, since there is an old PS3 I have out that I didn't think to deactivate before selling.

This is good to know because I also forgot to deactivate my old dead PS phat when I bought a new slim.

scurker

I'm surprised at how much backlash there is on gamesharing. Personally, I've spent more money via gamesharing than I would have just buying things on my own. Some of the more well known "bigger" PSN releases I'll readily admit I would've bought regardless, but the money I've actually spent is more evenly distributed among smaller developers who I may not have been interested in without gamesharing.

I'm certainly not going to lament the lack in gamesharing, as I think remote activations are definitely a plus; It just means overall I'm going to be more likely to be more reserved about the things I buy now.

Kogepan

scurker said:
I'm surprised at how much backlash there is on gamesharing. Personally, I've spent more money via gamesharing than I would have just buying things on my own. Some of the more well known "bigger" PSN releases I'll readily admit I would've bought regardless, but the money I've actually spent is more evenly distributed among smaller developers who I may not have been interested in without gamesharing.

I'm certainly not going to lament the lack in gamesharing, as I think remote activations are definitely a plus; It just means overall I'm going to be more likely to be more reserved about the things I buy now.

i always thought FIVE was too much, especially for what the function was for. How many people actually have five ps3s?

How many 'shares' can you do on xbox live?

Kogepan said:
How many 'shares' can you do on xbox live?
One? I think. One console can have the licenses which allow that console to play the content offline/across all accounts. Otherwise that account can play the content on as many other Xboxes as long as it's online.

Returners

I don't like this one bit...

I have 3 PSPs... and now I can't play all of them at the same time? Vita?

Plus, I had 3 PS3s break down on me, definitely need to check if they are still active. How do we know which PS3 is which? I don't remember the serial number on the consoles anymore...

androvsky

Returners said:
I don't like this one bit...

I have 3 PSPs... and now I can't play all of them at the same time? Vita?

Plus, I had 3 PS3s break down on me, definitely need to check if they are still active. How do we know which PS3 is which? I don't remember the serial number on the consoles anymore...

You could play 3 PSPs at the same time before this? o_O The Qriocity site at least showed the date systems were activated on, I was able to figure out which was which from that.

Still, I'm surprised Sony's pulling a move like this so late in the generation just to chase a very difficult last 20%, it's gotta have something to do with the Vita. I'm wondering if the PS3/Vita combo games like Ruin were just too much to stomach for some publishers if one purchase could be on 8 devices.

Or Sony's just that desperate for PSN support from publishers since the hack.

JWong

Banned
androvsky said:
You could play 3 PSPs at the same time before this? o_O The Qriocity site at least showed the date systems were activated on, I was able to figure out which was which from that.

Still, I'm surprised Sony's pulling a move like this so late in the generation just to chase a very difficult last 20%, it's gotta have something to do with the Vita. I'm wondering if the PS3/Vita combo games like Ruin were just too much to stomach for some publishers if one purchase could be on 8 devices.

Ah if last month was any indication of "lack of support" they're fine with that.

The 5 game sharing was just for PS3 replacements, not to give it to someone as a trade.
Now that they have a system in place to manage your game sharing, they don't need to put out 5.

Kaizer

Banned
Don't really care about the gamesharing, but finally being able to deactivate my old 20 Gig PS3 w/o the hassle of calling up Sony, so I can watch videos from the store will be great.

Cruzader

Banned
Not sure what the big deal about the PSP activation is. I mean alot of gamers have the older PSPs, not the Go. If I had 2 PSPgo's, I'd have an issue since the content can only come from PSN. If I have an old PSP is bc I use UMDs. Lets remember PSP has no proper PSN support so its pointless to whine about 2 PSP activations.

If you are getting a Vita, then you will activate and use PSN on there more so than you would on a normal PSP. In that case, your old PSP would become a UMD only machine as I'd just move my PSN content to Vita as it would become the choice for a portable at that point.

I think i activated my PSP1000 and my Go but when I can Ill deactivate my old PSP as its just gathering dust and only use my Go. Then when I get a Vita, ill disable the Go and got Vita only. I guess people need something to fuss about.

Lothars

I have a big issue with this because I think 2 systems is to low, If it was 3 than that would be alot better and I could stomach this.

I was planning to buy another PS3 as well which would than take up 3 activations but now it doesn't matter, I also really don't like the two portable limit especially with the Vita counting.

It should be seperate from the PSP especially since I use a GO and I will still want to use it.

I wish Sony would change it to 3 but as it stand this is not acceptable.

Cruzader

Banned
Lothars said:
I have a big issue with this because I think 2 systems is to low, If it was 3 than that would be alot better and I could stomach this.

I was planning to buy another PS3 as well which would than take up 3 activations but now it doesn't matter, I also really don't like the two portable limit especially with the Vita counting.

It should be seperate from the PSP especially since I use a GO and I will still want to use it.

I wish Sony would change it to 3 but as it stand this is not acceptable.
You can have 2 PS3s active AND 2 PSP systems active.

So why dont you have your Go and Vita active when the time comes?

Lothars

Cruzader said:
You can have 2 PS3s active AND 2 PSP systems active.

So why dont you have your Go and Vita active when the time comes?
I will but I still find it unacceptable to have the PSP and the Vita using same activations.

androvsky

Cruzader said:
Not sure what the big deal about the PSP activation is. I mean alot of gamers have the older PSPs, not the Go. If I had 2 PSPgo's, I'd have an issue since the content can only come from PSN. If I have an old PSP is bc I use UMDs. Lets remember PSP has no proper PSN support so its pointless to whine about 2 PSP activations.

If you are getting a Vita, then you will activate and use PSN on there more so than you would on a normal PSP. In that case, your old PSP would become a UMD only machine as I'd just move my PSN content to Vita as it would become the choice for a portable at that point.

I think i activated my PSP1000 and my Go but when I can Ill deactivate my old PSP as its just gathering dust and only use my Go. Then when I get a Vita, ill disable the Go and got Vita only. I guess people need something to fuss about.

There's a slight problem with some UMD games having a bunch of paid DLC. Maybe not so much in the west, but it does happen.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
JWong said:
Hey, can you game share Free PSN+ games?

I would think not. How about discounted ones?
Yes to both. This is why either my brother or my cousin will be disappointed that they can't share my PS+ account in the future.

Jimrpg

i think it should be one account login and it checks you in each time like steam... and you can't log in in two places at once...

i suppose people do want to play their games offline but still... i haven't heard any piracy issues with steam...

Zoe

arbok26 said:
i think it should be one account login and it checks you in each time like steam... and you can't log in in two places at once...

i suppose people do want to play their games offline but still... i haven't heard any piracy issues with steam...

But one of the biggest benefits is the games can be used by any account on the activated system. What you're proposing would completely get rid of that.

GorillaJu

*getting hopes up*

I wonder if this is to prepare for some kind of sharing system between PS3 and Vita, for games that are playable on both? For example, Dragon's Crown - 1 purchase = playable on both systems? Pretty please?

DangerousDave said:
How is this compared with XBL or Steam?

Both XBL and Steam allow you to play your content on unlimited systems if you're online, but limit it to one (XBL) or zero (Steam) if you're not logged in. One way's better for an individual person who moves around between devices a lot, the other's better for a family with multiple systems, but this change really erodes the good part of Sony's system while leaving the bad parts in place.

(Steam's is definitely the worst though, and this is probably the one singular 360/PS3/Steam point of comparison where I'd say that.)

JWong

Banned
Fuzzy said:
Yes to both. This is why either my brother or my cousin will be disappointed that they can't share my PS+ account in the future.
Do you have to be logged in to the PS+ account to play the games?

Yagharek

charlequin said:
Both XBL and Steam allow you to play your content on unlimited systems if you're online, but limit it to one (XBL) or zero (Steam) if you're not logged in. One way's better for an individual person who moves around between devices a lot, the other's better for a family with multiple systems, but this change really erodes the good part of Sony's system while leaving the bad parts in place.

(Steam's is definitely the worst though, and this is probably the one singular 360/PS3/Steam point of comparison where I'd say that.)

The other thing to remember with XBL is you can only do a license transfer once in a 12 month window. So if you buy a new slim one, this is the procedure:
* Recover GT on new system
* Use license migration tool on xbox.com
* Enter serial number of new console

There are a few prompts along the way, its a little less complicated than the current PS3 content migration function (Ive done both - PS3 is more comprehensive, 360 is more user friendly).

Although on xbox you dont deactivate the system as per ps3. It only gets deactivated once it connects to xbl. So currently my brother has a few of my old arcade games on the 360 I gave him when I moved interstate. Whereas with PS3, after doing the content migration, now the old unit only has demo games on it.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
RandomVince said:
The other thing to remember with XBL is you can only do a license transfer once in a 12 month window. So if you buy a new slim one, this is the procedure:
* Recover GT on new system
* Use license migration tool on xbox.com
* Enter serial number of new console

There are a few prompts along the way, its a little less complicated than the current PS3 content migration function (Ive done both - PS3 is more comprehensive, 360 is more user friendly).

Although on xbox you dont deactivate the system as per ps3. It only gets deactivated once it connects to xbl. So currently my brother has a few of my old arcade games on the 360 I gave him when I moved interstate. Whereas with PS3, after doing the content migration, now the old unit only has demo games on it.

The mandatory HDD format is what really is the pain in the ass on PS3, forcing you to either do data transfer (which takes ages) or re-download the whole content.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
JWong said:
Do you have to be logged in to the PS+ account to play the games?

No.

I have PSN+ till 4/2013, I have it active on both my PS3's

60GB Fatty, 120GB Slim

Mostly the 60GB Fatty is a back-up + baby bro uses it for his COD fix, so he sometime requests PSN+ stuff from me

I just switch to my account, start DL process, log out, he logs into his account, he gets the goodies and we both can use the games at the same time

Yagharek

TTP said:
The mandatory HDD format is what really is the pain in the ass on PS3, forcing you to either do data transfer (which takes ages) or re-download the whole content.

I dont think you had to format the HDD. My brand new one now has all the content and saves ported over. My old one still has all the themes, music, pictures etc - only now all the games have reverted to demo mode. It didnt do a HDD format. It did make me format the new one first, but that was a trivial step in practice.

I'm guessing if I activated the old one again it would return to full-version PSN games.

JWong

Banned
GraveRobberX said:
No.

I have PSN+ till 4/2013, I have it active on both my PS3's

60GB Fatty, 120GB Slim

Mostly the 60GB Fatty is a back-up + baby bro uses it for his COD fix, so he sometime requests PSN+ stuff from me

I just switch to my account, start DL process, log out, he logs into his account, he gets the goodies and we both can use the games at the same time
Sweet

Ostinatto

slowpoke here

what happens to my old PSN games already shared 5 times after nov 18th?

this thing will only affect games purchased after nov 18th?

:panic:

Replicant

Hanmik said:
Does this mean that sony is making the management website work again..? I have not been able to log in since after the hack..
Forget the old site. I was trying for naught for a few months after the hack to no avail. Then I realized you can do the same thing and more via qriocity.com so now I just use qriocity site.

Returners

androvsky said:

Right.... My bad. I meant loan my friends for some GT racing and MH.

It's good that we can finally see how many systems we have our account activate on. Again, hope it's not identified by the damn serial number.

I have a OG 60 GB that I might just finally retire that because of this.

darkwing

Ostinatto said:
slowpoke here

what happens to my old PSN games already shared 5 times after nov 18th?

this thing will only affect games purchased after nov 18th?

:panic:
yes, only games after the 18th

Benedict

Replicant said:
Forget the old site. I was trying for naught for a few months after the hack to no avail. Then I realized you can do the same thing and more via qriocity.com so now I just use qriocity site.

Too bad it's not available for us in Europe...

Replicant

Benedict said:
Too bad it's not available for us in Europe...
Which country is your PSN? That site works for almost all PSN including some European countries. I have 3 PSN accounts: US, Australia, and Japan. All 3 are accessible through there. Recently I made a new UK account through there as well. The only PSN not represented there seems to be Hong Kong and Singapore since I can't find the option to make an account for those countries there. I remember seeing Germany and French listed there as well.

Top Bottom