• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSO2.. (Phantasy Star Online 2) is real!

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG.

PSO is one of my favorite games of all time. But why am I excited about this. I got just as excited for PSU and that kind of sucked. I got excited about PS Zero and was also kind of meh. I hope to got the recapture the magic of that game but lets see.

Tim-E

As of a few months ago, there were like 600+ people playing PSOBB at any given time on private servers. There definitely is a market for this game on PC.

Foxix Von

Oh god please be good, please be good >_<

There's so much potential here Sega, my darling. We'll just pretend that Universe never happened... We can be together again, like we used to be!

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Teknoman said:
I dunno...the colors are really bland...at least in PSP and PSP2, and the PSO series music (all versions) seemed to be alot higher quality than PSP/PSU.

I mean just listen to this stuff:

That stuff is great but most of it isn't from vanilla PSO... just sayin'!

PSO had some really threatening boss music, and creative looking bosses that werent just pallete swaps (even in Ver.2) so thats why it gets my vote.

Agreed on that. The Universe series was wayyyyy to dragon obsessed and then with AotI nostaglia-obsessed. I haven't fought any new PS:p2 bosses yet so I dunno. But ya PSO series grew to have like 8 unique & awesome bosses.

btw if this is a sequel storyline wise that means it takes place after that shitty card game... let's hope that game has NO influence on this one :lol

Finaika said:
Question is, is Sonic Team doing this?

Hopefully Dragon Sakai & Alfa Systems are behind it as they were for the portable series. I place my faith in them more then ST.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
DECK'ARD said:
Much of PSU was horribly broken, things they have recognised with every new release of the PSU games. I'm sure PSO2 will get the balance right.

The artstyle, music and more focussed gameplay/level design of PSO needs to return.

THIS!

Game mechanics doesn't need to be straight PSO. They can bring us some innovation. PSP2 is light years beyond what PSU was at launch gameplay wise.

They just need to go back to the PSO artstyle, music, and level lay out. I'd gladly take some of the innovations from PSP2 control wise and stuff though.

I remember meeting Sonic Team in '01 and being genuinely excited.

Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

Edit:

Foxix said:
Is it so wrong to want both?

Not at all. I was actually reminiscing with a buddy today about PSO, as we both were on the hunt for PSP2.

There isn't the plethora of, "ONLINE!?
FUCK
YOU, SEGA!" comments as I expected.

soultron

Banned
I'm excited, but I burned out on PSU after two weeks of the retail game. I blame the beta, mostly.

Here's hoping it's good.

Vanillalite

Blueblur1 said:
You would likes this.

I have a copy of that.

The other thing you can do is the PSO:BB version of the game has all the music for free in .ogg format. So you get the full soundtrack for free!

Alex

MiamiWesker said:
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG.

PSO is one of my favorite games of all time. But why am I excited about this. I got just as excited for PSU and that kind of sucked. I got excited about PS Zero and was also kind of meh. I hope to got the recapture the magic of that game but lets see.

Stop playing the shitty ones and get Portable 2, which is hands down the best iteration and perfect proof that future internal development of PSO is a scary thought. I hope PSO2 is outsourced to Alfa System again, though I'm sure it'll be some Sonic Team ten car pile up.

I thought everyone wanted a new numbered Phantasy Star?

For what reason? The original series is absolutely archaic now. Sega would have to rebuild a lot of things, also they've shown their narrative focus for the franchise to be utterly retarded. To top that off, you probably have no chance whatsoever delivering a more interesting gameplay experience better than what you'd get out of PSP2 now.

Some things are better left to memory.

Varion

soultron said:
I'm excited, but I burned out on PSU after two weeks of the retail game. I blame the beta, mostly.

Here's hoping it's good.
Honestly most of my issues with PSU were the fault of Sega's management and the complete lack of updates. By the time they took the English PS2/PC servers down they were what, 2 years behind the Japanese ones? There just wasn't enough content and it just didn't come out regularly enough, so of course people lost interest.

They did the same thing when they tried PSO Blue Burst too though :( "Hey guys level cap of 30 and you can play on normal! We might implement very hard before next year, but don't bet on it!"

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
2chvyc8.jpg

I've been waiting years for this!

Vanillalite

Does anyone have a time for when Sega is having their press event? I want to know when the press event is STAT!!!!!!!

funkmastergeneral said:
Would've been excited, but the DS game was trash.

DS game was hampered by the fact that they tried to do frick'n PSO on the DS. That being said as many have said PSP2 is a fantastic game, and it's done from a ton of people who did PSP 1 on the PSP as well as some PS 0 folks. It proves a game can be done as long as it's the right people.

The chance is there. It's just a chance, but don't give up hope yet!!!!!

Kibbles

I'd be excited, but I'm already paying $50 (soon $60)/year for XBL... I'd rather not pay another monthly fee. Baaahhh!

Brettison said:
The other thing you can do is the PSO:BB version of the game has all the music for free in .ogg format. So you get the full soundtrack for free!

Only way I know of to get the Episode 4 soundtrack.

It was like redbook audio all over again!

zurra

Blueblur1 said:
You would likes this.

i have that and i'm ripping it right now. this is craaaaazy awesome news!!!

i don't know if my body can handle all the heart attacks that this year's TGS is causing. it's barely even started, gahhhhh

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Brettison said:
Does anyone have a time for when Sega is having their press event? I want to know when the press event is STAT!!!!!!!
I don't know when they'll announce it, but they have a PSP2 Infinity conference scheduled for tomorrow:

GsTAMl.jpg

Snaku

Banned
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

The countless hours I poured into PSO on DC. The school days skipped. The work nights called out. The homework neglected.

This had better not fucking suck, and not some lame attempt at cashing in on nostalgia like Sonic 4.

CamHostage said:
Heh, I don't mean to cast doubt on you V_Ben, but that is the shittiest Photoshop job ever ... is Sega doing a "Triology" to fans on its own official site?
Go watch the trailer it's grabbed from :D

Seems odd that's announced for PC but no consoles. I assume it'll go to consoles as well...?

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Killthee said:
I don't know when they'll announce it, but they have a PSP2 Infinity conference scheduled for tomorrow:

One of the 'Coming soon' new game announcements is scheduled for Sunday after the PSP2 event.

That was my betting for the PSO2 blowout, if it's next year there will be a trailer.

Top Bottom