• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP a GO!?

Eteric Rice said:
If that's the case, I wish they had at least found a way to put the screen "inside" of the machine or something, that way I wouldn't have to worry about scratching my screen up.

Thats one thing I love about the DS, really.

Guys keep in mind this design was probably trying to fight with the ZUNE and the IPOD.
Not the DS.

Throw in full PSN store integration for music, movies, games and you can see what they were attempting to do. Its pretty clear what they were shooting for if you stop a moment and look at the clues.

Ramenman

UntoldDreams said:
Guys I believe the purpose of this design is not to increase your gaming ergonomic enjoyment.

This PSP GO (Note the GO part of name) is more focused on portability than gaming.
I think the actual PSP is supposed to be the big daddy gaming device for Sony.

PSP GO is probably for more casual gameplay, music, and movies.

So there's a PSP model for the people who want to play and a PSP model fo the ones who want to carry it around ?

The multiple SKUs strategy has reached new heights ! Mind blown !

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
:lol

Sony: "NEW PSP WILL HAVE A SLIDING SCREEN!"
Everyone: "Yaaah hooray, yahoo!"
Sony: "THE BUTTONS WILL BE PLACED AT THE BOTTOM VERY CLOSE TO ONE ANOTHER!"
Everyone "...."

nyong

Banned
I would bet a temporary ban that this is a fake. Everything looks semi-legit until you get to the analog stick. There is no plausible way to play this thing comfortably.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Ninja Scooter said:
because no UMD doesn't fuck over existing owners?

No not really. Since UMD-PSP owning people can still buy and play no-UMD release games. They won't miss out on anything, unless you can't connect to the net.

Qore download - 85%. Don't shut me down now!!

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
What I do like is the fact that it's not so damn big anymore. Putting the PSP in my pocket was never a good idea.

But I dunno, I need some hands on time to see how comfortable it is. The PSP-2000 always looked comfortable, but it really hurt my hands after an hour or so.

ymmv

Banned
chubigans said:
You're a moron. The value in games has already surpassed the price I paid for the subscription. There's literally nothing stupid about it. (Had I subscribed later, I probably wouldn't be able to say that).

ANYWAYS...someone post the contents!

- InFAMOUS
- Fight Night 4
- PSP GO
- Frag Dolls
- What's hot

DMczaf

I love how the Start/Select buttons are where a 2nd analog nub would be just to piss off douches who complain about it every thread :lol

Gaogaogao

ymmv said:
I don't get the hate. The new design looks pretty good IMO. Since the controls can be slid out of view, it has a very clean look. Great if you just want to use it as a media player.
ive got nothing against how it looks, besides how it looks like it must feel; cramped.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
nyong said:
I would bet a temporary ban that this is a fake. Everything looks semi-legit until you get to the analog stick. There is no plausible way to play this thing comfortably.

It's no fake. I'm watching the Qore hands on right now.

guina

ymmv said:
I don't get the hate. The new design looks pretty good IMO. Since the controls can be slid out of view, it has a very clean look. Great if you just want to use it as a media player.
Hope there is a way to navigate the XMB w/o opening it.

Goldrusher

SecretBonusPoint said:
If you told me the original PSP was the new iteration and the PSP Go the original, I would believe you. That is the sheer gulf in how fucking sexy the original is and how goofy this new one looks.
11j64g0.jpg

longdi

Banned
looks horrible, like built for the cheapos. psp was good looking but after i saw iphone, that is slick and adult like, i wishing sony could come out with a better looking psp, not this ugly revision.

so does it have touchscreen, if not when you slide in the flap, how to control the system?

Niks

Seriously what a fuckup on PSN side of things.

The PSN monkey cant get a break...people complain its always late... and when it decides for once to be early... he fucks it up!!!!

:lol :lol :lol

longdi said:
looks horrible, like built for the cheapos. psp was good looking but after i saw iphone, that is slick and adult like, i wishing sony could come out with a better looking psp, not this ugly revision.

so does it have touchscreen, if not when you slide in the flap, how to control the system?

With Remote Play on your ps3.

Anony

when not scrolled out, looks decent
scrolled out to play psp games, DO NOT WANT

stick to the psp 2000 series

LCfiner

soo.... this is real, then?

shit. looks like I'm having crow for lunch

Man, I really thought this was a fake cuz it looked like such a step back in design.

.. I should've learned my lesson from when that 3rd gen "fat" ipod nano got leaked a couple years ago and people thought it was fake cuz it was kinda ugly.

oh well, let's hope that hands-on impressions at E3 prove that the analog nub placement is somehow not a disaster.

gtj1092

Someone post pics of the hand helds they think look so much better than this. I think this a the leaked Ps3slim images shows that sony is going in more a afford ability direction. I'm sure most of the complainers here owned a DSphat so i don't really get the hate. Seems forced.

Also cramped would be a GBAsp. When that came out i just had a back light installed into my og GBA.

I don't mind the sliding feature, that's cool. And closed, it looks pretty nifty, like some kind of iPod PSP. But when the screen is slid up, the figure-8-ish shape of the console looks a bit daft to me. It sort of reminds me of the original DS design where the top and bottom of the console didn't look right when it was closed, except it's the opposite with this.

Hmm... and no slot for UMDs? Sooo does this mean instead of waiting for the new PSP, I should just buy a 3000? (My PSP got stolen, but they left most of my games... was waiting for the next PSP iteration before getting back in...)

My biggest gripe would be using this to replace an iPod / walkman type of deal.
The software for the music player in the PSP is primitive to say the least.

It makes perfect sense as a portable movie device which can download movies on the go and stream stuff from a PS3. Even the Skype functionality would be nifty.

The fact that you can play some PSP games on a (horribly small) gaming setup is a good bonus.
They absolutely positively MUST improve the software for easier music playing.

They should go to the walkman division and have them write the music player software.

kittel

lots of premature bitchin' in this thread... wait until the press release with the official images before making up your mind about how it really looks and feels

ymmv

Banned
Has anyone recognized the PSP games that are playing in the PSP Go menu? I recognize LBP and Patapon 2, but I don't recognize the other 3 games.

dfyb

Banned
Ramenman said:
So there's a PSP model for the people who want to play and a PSP model fo the ones who want to carry it around ?

The multiple SKUs strategy has reached new heights ! Mind blown !
8302965874342631.JPG

iammeiam

I guess what I don't get is--Who is this supposed to be for? If I have a PSP 2000 and a bunch of UMD games, why on earth would I buy this other thing that does roughly the same stuff, only less? They must be planning to keep selling the 3000 for a while, since we're still seeing stuff release on UMD.

DD stuff should all work on the existing PSPs, right? The Go more or less fails in increasing portability for me because it's still a huge exposed screen, which still means I need some kind of case if I'm throwing it in a bag or in a pocket with my keys. Sucks for Sony that they more or less could not go the clamshell route without catching hell for a DS-ripoff, but I have absolutely no idea who the Go is supposed to appeal to. People who don't already have a PSP? This design is not going to win over people who had been uninterested thusfar. I don't see why existing owners would want to render their UMD collections completely obsolete without some sort of benefit.

If it were to come in at, say, $100, I could see it doing reasonably well as a cheap portable alternative--undercutting the DS would be a huge step in Sony's favor--but much higher and the appeal is lost.

Top Bottom