• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP Go? 249.99!!!!

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Lyte Edge said:
I have a Japanese white PSP 2000. There's no sparkles on it. There might be more than one white color though, and I can't remember if the 3000s are like this or not.
The JP Final Fantasy Dissidia PSP 3000 bundle has the sparkles on it and is not pure white. Although, the sparkles aren't very noticeable on this model, but it does have that "pearl effect" with due to the tri-coat color process. I had the white PSP 1000 model and it was pure white too with no sparkles.

If the color models with sparkles is anything like autos with the same type of paint, then Tri-coat color process is
"painted in three stages at the factory; a base color is sprayed, then a mid-coat which gives the 'pearl' effect, then a clear coat to bring the two colors together visually."
Which is probably what gives the white PSPgo and other model colors that sparkle.

Defensor said:
The JP Final Fantasy Dissidia PSP 3000 bundle has the sparkles on it and is not pure white. Although, the sparkles aren't very noticeable on this model, but it does have that "pearl effect" with due to the tri-coat color process. I had the white PSP 1000 model and it was pure white too with no sparkles.

If the color models with sparkles is anything like autos with the same type of paint, then Tri-coat color process is

"painted in three stages at the factory; a base color is sprayed, then a mid-coat which gives the 'pearl' effect, then a clear coat to bring the two colors together visually."

Which is probably what gives the white PSPgo and other model colors that sparkle.

Boom! Coming strong with the manufacturing info

Defcon

Banned
Is there really any point in getting a PSP Go if you already have a 3000? It seems awfully expensive at $250 while losing screen size and the ability to play UMD's.

Billen

Banned
Defcon said:
Is there really any point in getting a PSP Go if you already have a 3000? It seems awfully expensive at $250 while losing screen size and the ability to play UMD's.

However, you do get to payu almost as much as people pay for a PS3. Kinda exclusive, don't you think? :D

Defcon said:
It's smaller, lighter, the screen looks better, the control layout is better, it has a 16GB HDD and it's way more portable.

Degen

Only if my PSP Slim broke completely would I even consider getting a PSP Go. Even then, I'd probably go with a 3000.

I wouldn't recommend getting this one just because it's something new. Not this time.

Defcon

Banned
Blu_LED said:
It's smaller, lighter, the screen looks better, the control layout is better, it has a 16GB HDD and it's way more portable.

Hmm, the control layout looks worse to me. It's far too tiny to be playable for longer than 10 minutes without cramping up. The 16GB HD is nice but I don't like the idea of download only games when it means Sony gets to set the prices. I can go into Target and grab Resistance for $10 on clearance where it will likely always be $40 on their service.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Gamecocks625 said:
Boring packaging...but whatever

*pic*

Looks unattractive compared to all those PSP 3000 Game Bundles....i could see the PSP GO tank really hard at retail.

Defcon said:
Hmm, the control layout looks worse to me. It's far too tiny to be playable for longer than 10 minutes without cramping up. The 16GB HD is nice but I don't like the idea of download only games when it means Sony gets to set the prices. I can go into Target and grab Resistance for $10 on clearance where it will likely always be $40 on their service.
Every single hands on with the system says that the control layout is so much better then the old PSP. It just feels more natural. Plus, stores are still going to sell download codes for game on the store, and Sony doesn't get to set the prices of those.

cw_sasuke said:
Looks unattractive compared to all those PSP 3000 Game Bundles....i could see the PSP GO tank really hard at retail.

The price is just ridiculous, I've been trying to justify buying one in my mind, I already have a PSP Slim, but I just can't do it.

Degen said:
Only if my PSP Slim broke completely would I even consider getting a PSP Go. Even then, I'd probably go with a 3000.

I wouldn't recommend getting this one just because it's something new. Not this time.

That's pretty much how I felt. Though I do like the smaller size, the removal of the UMD drive and the out of wack pricing were deal breakers for me, personally.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I'm like a poster-child for conspicuous consumption and impulse buying. I buy truckloads of crap I don't need all the time. I'm like Sony's target for this thing, totally.

Yet... even I am having trouble justifying buying one of these things :lol . I've had a white one on pre-order with Amazon since the day pre-orders went up, but now I'm not so sure. Perhaps I'll wait and see if there's a price drop at some point, or pick up the 4000 model when it hits.

topofuji said:
Just wondering...is the Japanese "White" color different from the one the US gets (Pearl White)?
From what I am seeing, the US is the white with lame sparkles, and the Japan one is pure white. Want to know to import or not.

Want a pure white not only because I like it, but it looks like a true successor to the "failed" PocketStation. :D

Confirm or deny this anyone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4YqVwwS0Uk

Here's a good video of the white model. The visibility of the sparkles really depend on the lighting. I might actually cancel my Piano Black preorder and go with the Pearl White.

HunkyDory

Neo Member
Blu_LED said:
Every single hands on with the system says that the control layout is so much better then the old PSP. It just feels more natural. Plus, stores are still going to sell download codes for game on the store, and Sony doesn't get to set the prices of those.

Do have a link for this at hand?

The Go really is extortionate, although I'll probably still end up buying one. :/

UMDs have always put me off the PSP, and I'd be willing to pay more for games if it meant that I could have them sitting on the device's memory as opposed to have to carry disks around with me.

I'm more concerned about when Sony are going to start getting the PSP library up on the PSN Store. The Go is just around the corner, and the PSP selection on the European store is pretty pathetic.

HunkyDory said:
Do have a link for this at hand?

The Go really is extortionate, although I'll probably still end up buying one. :/

UMDs have always put me off the PSP, and I'd be willing to pay more for games if it meant that I could have them sitting on the device's memory as opposed to have to carry disks around with me.

I'm more concerned about when Sony are going to start getting the PSP library up on the PSN Store. The Go is just around the corner, and the PSP selection on the European store is pretty pathetic.

FYI, everything you can download on the PSP Go, you'll also be able to download to any of the other PSPs. If your opposed to using the UMD drive, you don't have to use it. I also like the idea of having my games stored on my memory stick without the UMDs. I just bought Wipeout Pure at Best Buy for $8 new, though, so in my opinion it's still nice to have the option.

HunkyDory said:
I know, but looking at the price of a 3000 + 16gig memory stick, there's not really much difference between the Go and 3000.

Yeah, definitely, if you absolutely don't see yourself ever using a UMD, then a PSP Go is definitely a viable option. I just wanted to make sure you had all your information straight before making the purchase, which it sounds like you do.

Drame

Gamecocks625 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4YqVwwS0Uk

Here's a good video of the white model. The visibility of the sparkles really depend on the lighting. I might actually cancel my Piano Black preorder and go with the Pearl White.

Damn, the screen looks sharp on that video, and I personally like the Pear White PSP Go.
I'll be getting the Pearl White PSP Go. After owning 2 black PSP's, white feels like refreshing choice.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Lyte Edge said:
I have a Japanese white PSP 2000. There's no sparkles on it. There might be more than one white color though, and I can't remember if the 3000s are like this or not.

Yep, there are two white colors out there, "Ceramic White" and "Pearl White"
The pearl one has that weird sparkle coat on it.

yellowjacket25 said:
Im kinda warming up to the pearl white. Even with the sparkle.

Same here. It looks pretty sweet.

psp_go_136703a.jpg

DMeisterJ

Banned
Lame.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/08/27/rock-band-unplugged-on-the-pspgo/

For a limited time, when you purchase a PSPgo system, you’ll have access to a PlayStation Network downloadable voucher for Rock Band Unplugged Lite. This lite version of Rock Band Unplugged will allow you to play five full tracks Oh WoW!. Plus, you can create your own personalized version of the game by purchasing your favorite Rock Band songs from the PlayStation Network. Now the only instrument you’ll need to rock anywhere is the PSPgo system!

:lol :lol :lol

DMeisterJ

Banned
Meus Renaissance said:
I know it seems like I'm hating on Sony but they must take me for an idiot for this price/compared to the PS3

Comparing the price to the PS3 is lame.

It's priced high, but comparing it to the PS3 makes no sense, and is lame.

DMeisterJ

Banned
OokieSpookie said:
Why lame?
I wish Guitar Hero and Rockband would always let you get the game free and then only get the pay for songs that you want instead of buying the full game when it only has maybe five or six songs that I care about.

Though I am presuming that the "lame" is because europe get GT-P for free while we get a neutered game?

Yes. Why can't we get a full game?

MercuryLS

Banned
I want one but not at $250. This is a DD-only system, price it cheap and make it back on the downloads goddamnit. I blame retailers, they probably forced Sony's hand on pricing.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yaceka said:
I just noticed that the start button is below the select button? What the fuck?
Hahha wtf!

Keikoku

Banned
I'm really considering buying a PSP GO by the end of the year but I have 2 questions :

-About the GT PSP offer, is this only for pre-orders ? Or this bundle will last till xmas ?
-The PSP store is pretty empty by now. Will sony add older games or will it be only filled with new releases ? I'd like to buy FFT, Castlevania Dracula X, etc...

DMeisterJ

Banned
UncleScr00ge said:
Just so I understand correctly....Europe gets a full free version of Gran Turismo Portable, and we get....a demo of Rock Band Unplugged?

:lol

With five full tracks! and the ability to pay for more if you want!

GQman2121

Banned
If I can trade in my Silver Slim PSP and get a Go for $100 I'll more than likely bite. GS offered a similar deal with the DSi, so I'm hoping they'll do the same here.

I'd still would like to hear from Sony about how they plan on offering games you already own on UMD to transfer to the Go.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
UncleScr00ge said:
Just so I understand correctly....Europe gets a full free version of Gran Turismo Portable, and we get....a demo of Rock Band Unplugged?

:lol
*cries*

I wish the NPD would split the GO sales from the PSP sales just to have a hilarious NPD day once this things launches. :lol

It will be the thud heard round' the world.

DMeisterJ

Banned
mjc said:
You can't be serious.

How can I not? Why would you compare the price of a handheld and a console? The DSi is priced 20 bucks lower than an Arcade XBOX 360. No point in buying a DSi anymore, correct?

Spruchy

DMeisterJ said:
How can I not? Why would you compare the price of a handheld and a console? The DSi is priced 20 bucks lower than an Arcade XBOX 360. No point in buying a DSi anymore, correct?

Oh yeah I forgot that Nintendo makes the 360 and that the arcade 360 has all the features of a 299 PS3!

Oh wait dur dur dur.

Yaceka said:
I just noticed that the start button is below the select button? What the fuck?

I would think it would be because you use it more often, thus having it on the bottom makes it easier to access with the thumb?

DMeisterJ said:
Comparing the price to the PS3 is lame.

It's priced high, but comparing it to the PS3 makes no sense, and is lame.

Why is it lame? We have a portable handheld games machine here that can play video priced $50 less than a next-gen console that plays Blu-Ray movies. Oh the PSPGo is priced high, no doubt about it, but the funny part comes when you compare it to the PS3's price. I guess just being portable negates every component of the PS3 in terms of value. But at the end of the day it's your money not mine

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
It's kind of ridiculous...on one hand you have Sony's relaunch of the PS3, with a new price cut, rebranding, new system, tons of marketing, and the potential to really knock the sales out of the park this holiday season. It's the best relaunch of a system I've ever seen.

And then you have PSPGO, which has a price increase, little to no marketing (I know it's still early, but still, why was it announced so early to begin with? And not available for so long after that?), feature reductions with little new additions that PSP users badly wanted, and coming alongside the PSP-3000, which will continue to sell just fine and probably do much, much better this season.

Boggles the mind.

krae_man

OokieSpookie said:
Why lame?
I wish Guitar Hero and Rockband would always let you get the game free and then only get the pay for songs that you want instead of buying the full game when it only has maybe five or six songs that I care about.

Though I am presuming that the "lame" is because europe get GT-P for free while we get a neutered game?

Of course its lame.

This would be a great idea if it was going to be bundled with all PSP Go's till the end of time. People who wouldn't pay $30-$40 for the game might end up buying DLC.

But that's not what this is. This is a limited time offer for early adopters. This fails horribly in that regard.

yankee666

I was just thinking, since the game GT psp isnt coming in the form of a Voucher, and the only thnig that you need to do to download the game is to register the PSPgo on the european PSN, what if i register an american PSPgo on the eu PSN?, can i still get the game? (i said this cause i can register my psp-100 with all psn around the globe)

Top Bottom