• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP Go? 249.99!!!!

Sony today announced that the PSPgo will retail for $449.95 in Australia.

That's only $50 less than the PS3 Slim.

That shit is super crazy whacko bat shit insane. Who in the hell is going to buy one of these things?

If you're an Aussie, and plan to buy one... hit me up, I want to come meet you so I can what kind of person would actually lash out that kind of cash.

B.K.

CorporalDork said:
Sony today announced that the PSPgo will retail for $449.95 in Australia.

That's only $50 less than the PS3 Slim.

That's how it is in America too. $249 for Go and $299 for Slim.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
B.K. said:
That's how it is in America too. $249 for Go and $299 for Slim.
I was just going to note that. Really, if I can get a PS3 for $300, why am I going to pay $250 for a PSP?

Then again, the DSi and 360 Arcade are $10 apart on Amazon, so I guess its moot.

KtSlime

If the PSPGo was matte finished I would seriously consider getting it. I hate how every PSP I have owned has ended up looking like shit after the first 2 days. They get oily, dusty, then the dust and the oil mix and gunk up around the screen shield, yuck. 250 dollars would be worth it if it was matte.

Tideas

Banned
Drkirby said:
I was just going to note that. Really, if I can get a PS3 for $300, why am I going to pay $250 for a PSP?

Then again, the DSi and 360 Arcade are $10 apart on Amazon, so I guess its moot.

ummm...portability? duh

I don't get it. Why are people comparing apples and oranges in pricing scheme?

Why do I want to pay $200 for an iPod touch when I can buy a $30 Mp3 player?

Tiduz

Eurogaime
ivedoneyourmom said:
If the PSPGo was matte finished I would seriously consider getting it. I hate how every PSP I have owned has ended up looking like shit after the first 2 days. They get oily, dusty, then the dust and the oil mix and gunk up around the screen shield, yuck. 250 dollars would be worth it if it was matte.

My silver psp doesnt have that problem at all.

and dont eat while gaming maybe? :p

MarkusRJR

Drkirby said:

In Canada the DSi is the same price as a 360 Arcade. :\

matmanx1

There's a LOT of PSP Go hating in this thread. Or more specifically, PSP Go price hating. That's unfortunate but I'll try not to let it get me down as I'm very excited about the Go.

I love the new form factor, the large internal memory, the bluetooth support (some of you seriously dont even understand what a huge deal it is to be able to use bluetooth headphones and not be tethered by headphone cables) and the lack of UMD drive.

I wont speculate on how many Go's Sony will sell as I can only speak for myself but there are certainly plenty of Tech heads out there who love sexy new gadgets and I am one of them. And even better, this sexy new gadget has a large and well established software library and plenty of good stuff coming down the pipe. I'm pretty excited!

DocStar

Neo Member
I'm staying with my PSP-3000. I'm happy with the system. Bought it when everyone said to me: "Dude, don't do this .. - this is the greatest failure of sony ever .. bla bla"

And now, with announcements like LBP PSP, MotorStorm, Invizimals etc. - i know i was right :D

The hardware of the PSP Go looks great. I've used my GBA way more than any other portable because it is pocket-sized. I'm just afraid that PSP legacy games on PSN in N.A. will go like PSone Classics have.

shouamabane said:
The hardware of the PSP Go looks great. I've used my GBA way more than any other portable because it is pocket-sized. I'm just afraid that PSP legacy games on PSN in N.A. will go like PSone Classics have.
I wonder if the reason why certain PSone Classics aren't hitting PSN Store is that they wouldn't feasibly work on the PSP without the internal controller input re-jiggering or whatnot. Aren't there PSone titles in the Japanese PSN Store that are exclusively for PS3 download and playback?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Drkirby said:

becuase its a PSP and not a PS3? what the fuck kind of comparison is that anyway? Its brought up a lot in this thread and the UK price one.

Its like complaining that the PSPgo is only £25 less than a 32GB ipod touch. So what?

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
I wonder if the reason why certain PSone Classics aren't hitting PSN Store is that they wouldn't feasibly work on the PSP without the internal controller input re-jiggering or whatnot. Aren't there PSone titles in the Japanese PSN Store that are exclusively for PS3 download and playback?

I'm pretty sure it is mainly licensing and other money issues.

I'm not sure about all of the games, but I have played Einhander via CFW and it works great. (I own the PSone version) It's in the JP PS Store, but not the US Store. It's hard not to foresee similar problems with PSP games.

noah111

Still Alive
mrklaw said:
becuase its a PSP and not a PS3? what the fuck kind of comparison is that anyway? Its brought up a lot in this thread and the UK price one.

Its like complaining that the PSPgo is only £25 less than a 32GB ipod touch. So what?
Err, no. Those are both portable players, unlike the PS3, which is an entertainment system. Of course people will make a big deal, if I didn't have a PS3 or a PSP I certainly would dish out the extra $50 for a slim rather then getting the PSPgo.

shouamabane said:
I'm pretty sure it is mainly licensing and other money issues.

I'm not sure about all of the games, but I have played Einhander via CFW and it works great. (I own the PSone version) It's in the JP PS Store, but not the US Store. It's hard not to foresee similar problems with PSP games.
I was mostly talking control-wise, like we'll never see Ape Escape 1 on the PSN Store unless it's expressly labeled as a game only for PS3, what with utilizing all of the functions and inputs of the Dual Shock. Any other titles that would fit that frame of reference?

I see. I imagine those games could be playable on a Go using a DS3 via bluetooth. I'm not sure that SCE will spend time making that happen though.

In the PC gaming world, a portable system costs MORE than a desktop. Just thought I'd point that out.

PSP Go is probably still a rip-off, though.

People would totally understand if Ape Escape was released for PS3 only. SCEA just isn't working hard enough to get PSone Classics out on the US PS Store. I'm afraid that will spill over to getting PSP games on the store as well. It already has really. There are several PSP games that are on the JP Store but not the US Store. Gitaroo Man Lives comes to mind.

I got a conspiracy theory. Could it be that the reason why PSPGo is priced so high is because of pressure from retail? For retail to agree with Sony plans to go digital download route, they probably negotiated PSPGo price to be so high initially. There is no chance in hell I am paying $450 Aus for PSPGo. I already have a PSP2000. However when the price is right (below $300) I will reconsider. Also, do you guys know where to find PSP2000 replacement screen for cheap? There are vertical pixilation on my PSP2000 screen and I think I need to replace it.

Opiate

I've never been particularly good at predicting the future sales potential -- I tend to stick to empirical evidence, which is largely historical -- but I have a very bad feeling about the PSP Go. I don't expect it to increase PSP sales signfiicantly, on either the software or hardware side.

DXPetti

Banned
CorporalDork said:
If you're an Aussie, and plan to buy one... hit me up, I want to come meet you so I can what kind of person would actually lash out that kind of cash.

Where you located :D

Seriously though I imagine the UMD to DD system will be independent of actually owning a PSPgo so I will register all my games to my PSN account then trade in my PSP1000 + games (about 10 or so) and that should considerably take the edge of the ludicrous price.

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
I was mostly talking control-wise, like we'll never see Ape Escape 1 on the PSN Store unless it's expressly labeled as a game only for PS3, what with utilizing all of the functions and inputs of the Dual Shock. Any other titles that would fit that frame of reference?

not really. Games that required the use of dual analog on PS1 were extremely rare.
If you're looking for a reason for missing Ps1 games, that ain't it.

Ettie

autobzooty said:
In the PC gaming world, a portable system costs MORE than a desktop. Just thought I'd point that out.

This is only true for systems of equivalent power.

EDIT: But the spirit of the point is good.

Dandy

autobzooty said:

Yeah but in a gaming laptop you're getting a portable gaming PC (all that tech miniaturised and cooled etc), you're not getting a portable PS3 with the PSP Go.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Drkirby said:

Have you seemed to forget the original PSP launched at $250 when it came out in March 2005 in America against a 150 PS2? Did people not buy the PSP then?I mean, the PS2 is infinitely more successful than the PS3 and costed less than the PS3.

Your logic fails, and I can't see how the ps3 price affects potential PSPgo buyers. The original PSP phat was largely successful at this price point and I expect no different for the PSPgo.

Drkirby said:

Have fun carrying a LCD, power generator and your PS3 with you on the go.

Aru

DMeisterJ said:
Wish they would have talked more (or at all) about the Game Sleep functionality.

A functionality that must be implemented in every console.
I hate not being able to quit a game because I can't save.
Thank goodness the PSP and DS have a sleep mode (well, the DS sleep mode uses too much battery but it's still there).

Tobor

I'm having this exact debate myself. I can't decide between the Slim and the Go, and I can only really afford one of them right now. After being excited about the Slim last week, now I'm leaning more towards the Go again, I'll get more use out of it and there seems to be more games I'm interested in for it.

The price difference between the two isn't even relevant.

noah111

Still Alive
Tobor said:
I'm having this exact debate myself. I can't decide between the Slim and the Go, and I can only really afford one of them right now. After being excited about the Slim last week, now I'm leaning more towards the Go again, I'll get more use out of it and there seems to be more games I'm interested in for it.

The price difference between the two isn't even relevant.
I definitely suggest going with the slim, first. The price for the go will surely come down within time, you shouldn't have to wait too long at all. You're getting so much more with the slim, it seems like a waste to jump on the PSPgo at this price when you still don't have a PS3. Definitely wait it out, look for deals on the PSPgo and wait for a price cut of some kind. Like I said, just doesn't seem worth it at this price when you don't even have a PS3 yet.

topofuji

Banned
Just wondering...is the Japanese "White" color different from the one the US gets (Pearl White)?
From what I am seeing, the US is the white with lame sparkles, and the Japan one is pure white. Want to know to import or not.

Want a pure white not only because I like it, but it looks like a true successor to the "failed" PocketStation. :D

Confirm or deny this anyone?

Gravijah

Tiduz said:
i have a psp 2000, it isnt matte.

The silver PSP-2000? Me too, I also have a black PSP-1000... Guess which one is finger print hell and guess which one doesn't have a single noticeable blemish on it?

Massa

topofuji said:
Just wondering...is the Japanese "White" color different from the one the US gets (Pearl White)?
From what I am seeing, the US is the white with lame sparkles, and the Japan one is pure white. Want to know to import or not.

Want a pure white not only because I like it, but it looks like a true successor to the "failed" PocketStation. :D

I don't think so. The sparkles are just really hard to notice in most conditions.

Boring packaging...but whatever

546044.jpg

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
topofuji said:

I have a Japanese white PSP 2000. There's no sparkles on it. There might be more than one white color though, and I can't remember if the 3000s are like this or not.

Top Bottom