• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP Hands-on at PS Meeting 2004

Gattsu25

Banned
loxy said:
Ironic considering they are the ones who introduced analog controllers in the first place.

so, once again, Nintendo introduced analog sticks to the gaming scene? kids should learn :b

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/07/12/news_6102335.html

More from the story:

Newly Announced Japanese PSP Titles:
Arika: Technique Cute (working title), music
Arika: TGM-K (working title), puzzle
Electronic Arts K.K.: Need for Speed Underground (working title), racing
Electronic Arts K.K.: Tiger Woods PGA Tour (working title), sports
Idea Factory: Shinten Makai (working title), simulation RPG
Konami: Powerful Pro Yakyuu series (working title), baseball
Konami: World Soccer Winning Eleven series (working title), soccer
Marvelous Interactive: AI series Igo (working title), table
Marvelous Interactive: AI series Mahjong (working title), table
Marvelous Interactive: AI series Shougi (working title), table
Marvelous Interactive: Harvest Moon series (working title), adventure
Marvelous Interactive: Legend of the River King series (working title), RPG
Marvelous Interactive: Pilot Ni Narou series (working title), flight simulator
Sony Computer Entertainment: Derby (working title), horse racing
Sony Computer Entertainment: Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (working title), FPS
Sony Computer Entertainment: PoPoLoCrois (working title), RPG
Sony Computer Entertainment: Sarugee (working title), action
Sony Computer Entertainment: Talkman (working title), undetermined
Spike: RS Revolution (working title), racing
Sunrise Interactive: New simulation game (working title), simulation

^ Look Jiggle!

its funny to read these threads, cause you find posts about how Nintendo invented the analogstick :D

The first videogame for consumers (PONG) had analog sticks!.

atari had analog sticks too on the 5200? or if it was 7800.. cant remember right now.
that was in the late 70ies, and early 80ies =)

Keio

For a Finer World
Maybe it should be phrased "Nintendo invented the tiny analogue stick which can be placed on a regular console pad as a part of an overall comfortable playing experience, thus facilitating the evolution of the 3d platformer". Nitpickers.

Back to topic, it is quite disconcerting to see final dev. hardware going to the software houses at such a late date. No wonder so many are still refusing to commit...

I like how the units are still obviously hard wired into giant comptuers that are doing the real work behind Sony's great white wall.

cja

Reuters fleshed out story on the PS Meeting has a rather bullish quote from Kutaragi:

"We've come to the point when there is a PlayStation for almost every television. It's our dream for there to be a PSP for every person,"

AndreasNystrom said:
its funny to read these threads, cause you find posts about how Nintendo invented the analogstick :D

The first videogame for consumers (PONG) had analog sticks!.

atari had analog sticks too on the 5200? or if it was 7800.. cant remember right now.
that was in the late 70ies, and early 80ies =)
Pong didn't use sticks, it had paddles and it wasn't the first videogame for consumers (Computer Space coin-op, Odyssey home use). The 5200 did have an analogue stick but it didn't self-centre and was a complete disaster.

Keio

For a Finer World
I can only imagine the sweating going on in the Sony R&D department. How low can we drop the specs/screen quality to get some battery life out of the thing?

This might be a question of excessive demands from the management - remember the first Geforce FX with the special über-noisy fan? This MIGHT be a repeat of that, but worse, since battery tech really hasn't advanced that much...

There is a lot of potential in the PSP, but for some reason they just haven't been very convincing as of yet.

neptunes

h-103_28513_psp0712a.jpg.jpg

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Keio said:
I can only imagine the sweating going on in the Sony R&D department. How low can we drop the specs/screen quality to get some battery life out of the thing.

No sweating as they had "final hardware" back in early May.

jiggle

h-103_28513_psp0712a.jpg.jpg

I'm gonna be mighty pissed if the white and yellow version doesn't get released soon after the black(or at the same time).

Mashing

Would it have helped if I said I wuldn't buy a DS if it has shit battery life too?

Seriously, if you'd buy a PSP to be able to play portable ps2 games for 2 hours before having the recharge, then you are the one kidding yourself. That's just retarted.

ypo

Since you are making your post stick, I'll just do some random quoting,

"I'm already going to pick up a DS as it is... it's got games I want... next to nothing I'm interested in has been announced for PSP as yet."

"A direct result of Sony being the market leader... rising prices... I don't like it at all. Not one damn bit."

I thought I should let it go, but what the heck I'll repeat it here. Who the hell are you trying to kid?

"Seriously, if you'd buy a PSP to be able to play portable ps2 games for 2 hours before having the recharge, then you are the one kidding yourself. That's just retarted."

Good to know that PSP battery is down to 2 hours now, it's ever decreasing in some of your eyes. My Pocket PC does 3 hrs of gaming and I got no problem with it, Can it be longer? Sure, why not, but that's high tech for you.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
http://img26.exs.cx/img26/9818/we8_psp.jpg

um - i've already seen that EXACT screen shot for We8 - given that this has just been annoucned, i'm gonna call that this ain't what they have running *YET*.

I'm just pissing on my own bonfire - this is the killer app for me.

"costs of UMD"

Kutaragi gave a speech ages ago that he expected UMD to be so cheap to manufacture that newspapers/magazines could have UMD versions on newstands for 300/400 yen.

You could look at the production cost another way - it's -slightly- under the DVD-dual layer price... so how similar are the costs of the UMD films going to be in comparison to the DVD release?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I like how the units are still obviously hard wired into giant comptuers that are doing the real work behind Sony's great white wall.
You DO know that NDS is in the exact same boat as far as the 'greai white wall' goes?

Kutaragi gave a speech ages ago that he expected UMD to be so cheap to manufacture that newspapers/magazines could have UMD versions on newstands for 300/400 yen.
Many gaming magazines are giving away DVD(s) with each purchase. It's the content that is costly, not the plastic. It's easy to aford to give the plastic away when you put free stuff, like demos, on it.

You could look at the production cost another way - it's -slightly- under the DVD-dual layer price... so how similar are the costs of the UMD films going to be in comparison to the DVD release?
Again, see above (and somehow I think you know this already, but... ;). The cost of the disc has next to nothing to do with the price of the movie. If someone really wanted, they could be giving away a UMD version of the movie for next to nothing when you purchase a DVD copy of said movie, and still making a profit.

DCharlie

"Again, see above (and somehow I think you know this already, but... . The cost of the disc has next to nothing to do with the price of the movie. If someone really wanted, they could be giving away a UMD version of the movie for next to nothing when you purchase a DVD copy of said movie, and still making a profit."

oh, sure - i get that. But the point i'm hitting at is the same as what you are saying. Given that the cost of making UMD content is basically going to be the same as (or similar) to DVD content costs, then the slightly lower cost of using UMD is probably not going to make a great deal of difference to the cost of , say, a UMD movie to the end user.

We shall see. DVD costs here in japan are stupidly high, so hopefully at least the UMD will be 10$ or so less...

shuri

Banned
THAT IS SO MINE TOO *

* depending on street price and regional coding.

Indeed, what about regions protection? any words on that?

jarrod

Banned
DCharlie said:
"Again, see above (and somehow I think you know this already, but... . The cost of the disc has next to nothing to do with the price of the movie. If someone really wanted, they could be giving away a UMD version of the movie for next to nothing when you purchase a DVD copy of said movie, and still making a profit."

oh, sure - i get that. But the point i'm hitting at is the same as what you are saying. Given that the cost of making UMD content is basically going to be the same as (or similar) to DVD content costs, then the slightly lower cost of using UMD is probably not going to make a great deal of difference to the cost of , say, a UMD movie to the end user.

We shall see. DVD costs here in japan are stupidly high, so hopefully at least the UMD will be 10$ or so less...
I don't think it applies to general industry DVD production costs (movies) but rather what Sony charges licensees for fees (PS2 games). I can't imagine DVDs are still costing $2-3 each for simple production (though maybe DVD Consortium fees drive pricing that high).

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I guess instead of a timer, people were given batteries, and when they died, your turn was over.

jiggle

shuri said:
THAT IS SO MINE TOO *

* depending on street price and regional coding.

Indeed, what about regions protection? any words on that?

No region coding for games, but yes for movies.

jiggle

jarrod said:
Sony's stance went from "no" on region coding for games to "no comment" last E3 suddenly... things don't look good.

But the no for games, yes for movies came after E3 '04. It was posted in the old GAF. Don't remember if it was from an article or interview though.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
It said there were regional limits on games in one of Mr. Hirai's slides during the E3 press conference. Everyone in the audience was asleep at the time, though, so it's all right if you missed it.

jarrod

Banned
jiggle said:
But the no for games, yes for movies came after E3 '04. It was posted in the old GAF. Don't remember if it was from an article or interview though.
Nope, that was before E3.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Mashing said:
Are they STILL dodging the questions about battery life?
They've said 8-10 hrs best case (music playback with no screen use), 2-3 hrs under heavy use of system resources (eg. game play with heavy disc access). If that constitutes a "dodge" in your world, then you're just not familiar with multifunction portable devices that consume power at varying rates depending on the task at hand. It's difficult to be specific when everyone's usage will differ.

Brofist

I'd like to see both do well. I'm only buying a PSP myself....got a nice $500 set aside for launch day hehe

DCharlie

naaa - i moved here so i could try and get a job at sony....

then i could claim my penis isn't actually 2 inches long... due to amazing compression techniques, it's actually the equivalent of Sergi Buktas polevaulting pole.

The you , ypo, sonycowboy and pana would defend my statement ! ;)

*joke*

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
With Sony's compression techniques, there'd be no denying the length of your pole, it'd just be a question of how sturdy it is.

Edit: Not exactly sure how much more I care to joke about your pole...

ypo

"then i could claim my penis isn't actually 2 inches long... due to amazing compression techniques, it's actually the equivalent of Sergi Buktas polevaulting pole.

The you , ypo, sonycowboy and pana would defend my statement ! "

Hahah how did I missed this post? Looks like you don't know what a cunt is DC boy. You are failing your class!

Top Bottom