• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP - post E3 developers' quotes + four new photos of the unit (HAWT)

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
we dont live in 1999

So you're telling me that 60fps will be the norm and there will be no screen blur? Yeah right!

Trust me, I'd love to see that because I really want one of these, but optimism does little when it comes to gaming hardware. You'll usually be let down. I'm just preparing myself early.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
I see 30fps being the norm.
You mean like, run game 1/60th of a second pause the machine for one 1/60th - get 30fps with lower battery consumption? :p
Problem is that screen can't be turned off every 1/60th to save power, so I dunno how much this would really help. I sincerely doubt all the processors in PSP combined eat as much power as that screen.

uhhh.. i dont like it.. from those pictures i see bits of dust inside the speaker holes.. this could deeply affect it's sound and/or reliability.

ypo said:
"It utilizes the Widescreen, so you'll be able to play with your friend face to face by holding one PSP from both sides."

OMG the dual-screens on one screen innovation!!!!!

Indeed, this innovation will change gaming forever. :p

DaCocoBrova

I see Sony playing up the other features (movie playback etc.) and charging a grip for it... I see shortages... I see Sony brand zombies getting it regardless. I see massive developer support which will quickly solidify marketshare.

I see... The Future!

teiresias

Say what one will about the price, if Sony can succesfully make the PSP the "Ipod of portable gaming" in image and marketing than the thing has a future. It will start off elite and grow from there.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
DaCocoBrova said:
I see 30fps being the norm. Does the screen blur while scrolling like most TFT displays?

It will probably blur (and you should be used to it, since you use a freakin' LCD for gaming), but I'd imagine that we'll see 60 fps on PSP about as often as PS2 (ie - A LOT). Obviously, not everything would be (and I don't think that will EVER happen...as there are just too many games that are developed), but I think plenty of games will push 60 fps.

SantaC

isn't it awful quiet about the DS even though it's just 3 months away from launch? They talk more about the PSP even though it's 2005.

Nintendo needs to get agressive with DS very soon in their marketing.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
And on this day, Sony's PSP marketing slogan was born.
So they'll be even further alienating that female audience then? :p

teiresias said:
Say what one will about the price, if Sony can succesfully make the PSP the "Ipod of portable gaming" in image and marketing than the thing has a future. It will start off elite and grow from there.
I'm not sure iPod would be the best target for PSP, given it's sold just over 3 million units in 3 years. For comparison Sony's hoping to move that many PSPs in it's first 3-4 months... if Sony wants to maintain that healthy 3rd party support an elite audience isn't what they should be going for.

teiresias

I'm not sure iPod would be the best target for PSP, given it's sold just over 3 million units in 3 years. For comparison Sony's hoping to move that many PSPs in it's first 3-4 months... if Sony wants to maintain that healthy 3rd party support an elite audience isn't what they should be going for.

Well, yeah, but unlike Sony I'm being realistic! :)

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
DaCocoBrova said:
I see Sony playing up the other features (movie playback etc.) and charging a grip for it... I see shortages... I see Sony brand zombies getting it regardless. I see massive developer support which will quickly solidify marketshare.

I see... The Future!
I see...you quickly changing the subject after getting challenged about 30fps ;)

jarrod said:
So they'll be even further alienating that female audience then? :p
Why do you think Sony has been showing a neckstrap for the PSP in some of their marketing material? Women will see it as a cheaper and healthier way to get men to stare at their chests than getting breast implants :D

Yannis Mallat has officially made it on to my black list. First the Prince of Persia 2 comments and now this. I honestly feel embarrassed even being associated with an industry that has this man in the front lines.

lordmrw

I like the way the system looks, but until I see games that I'd like to play, and a decent price point, this remains a giant no in my book. I don't buy systems on blind faith.

Marconelly said:
No, it's a...

PSP5.jpg

its a speaker!

someone. Please photoshop some scratches and lots of ugly fingerprints on that machine. All that shiny surface will not last 10 seconds in anyone's hand before becoming coated in gunk.

I think now it looks too big when compared to the newly designed DS. Still nice but I want to know about battery life. This thing also looks like something you will need a special case to protect

Fragility -10

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Insertia said:
I don't think some people realize their thumb is opposable.
The reach for the analog pad on PSP looks like the same length for the analog stick on the Dual Shock.

One major difference...a dual shock has two handles. With the PSP, the stick is at the very edge and there is nothing to grip. Honestly, unless you hold the device with your fingertips (which would seem quite awkward to me), it just isn't reachable.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Minotauro said:
One major difference...a dual shock has two handles. With the PSP, the stick is at the very edge and there is nothing to grip. Honestly, unless you hold the device with your fingertips (which would seem quite awkward to me), it just isn't reachable.

Well, after reading reports of those who have held it, that doesn't seem to be the case...

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
lordmrw said:
I like the way the system looks, but until I see games that I'd like to play, and a decent price point, this remains a giant no in my book. I don't buy systems on blind faith.
Yeah that's my feelings pretty much. Really, all Sony needs to do is announce a reasonable price ($200, sorry that's my limit) and a great game lineup (each game costing no more than $30) for launch and I'm INSTANTLY SOLD.

EDIT: Okay maybe $300 for the unit, I'm still undecided here. The value might make it worth that price but I don't see the media features being heavily supported.

Mashing

I think using hte I-pod as a barometer of PSP's potential success is flawed. For one, music is much much accessible/popular with society than gaming is. What does the average music album sell compared to a $20 video game? The difference in in the mutli millions. The PSP will not play mp3's if I remember correctly, so how is the PSP, other than asthetics, comparable to an I-pod? Whether you want to believe it or not, kids and teenagers are the ones who play handhelds. How often do you see adults or even young adults playing games on their cell phones/gba's? They 1) don't have time or 2) they look retarted in public doing so.

The PSP will be a sucess for Sony, of that I have no doubt, but if they expect to create an adult market for handhelds, they are sorely mistaken.

Greekboy

Banned
I find it funny that some people will complain about potential PSP software prices and at the same time have paid overinflated GB/GBA software prices including even old ports from my grandmother's days.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Lisa Lashes said:
I find it funny that some people will complain about potential PSP software prices and at the same time have paid overinflated GB/GBA software prices including even old ports from my grandmother's days.

Yes you're absolutely right, fuck let's not worry that we might pay upwards $40 for each game because having game prices gradually rise for a market that's traditionally cheaper than other sectors means great success for my wallet! The prices are definitely over-inflated, I agree with that but I don't want Sony to continue the trend of over-inflation either.

I find it funny that no even complained about the software prices.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Anyone worried about pricing doesn't have to buy it at launch. More than 80% of a console's sales occur after the first price drop.

The launch price should be high to set a value for the product (you don't want your system to be known as the 'cheap' console) and to take advantage of the early adopters who are willing to pay crazy prices regardless.

People were buying PS2s for over MSRP (and most times, WAY over) for nearly a year after release -- if people truly want something, price suddenly becomes a non-issue.

Chittagong

Gold Member
mashoutposse said:
Anyone worried about pricing doesn't have to buy it at launch. More than 80% of a console's sales occur after the first price drop.

Phew! I was getting very concerned on coming up with such a pile of money.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
From Alex Ward, Criterion:

They said the same about the portable DVD players a few years back, yet we're at the stage where five or six hours of play is not a problem

Can someone point me to the six hour portable DVD players, I've only been able to find ones that last 2.

Deg

Banned
mashoutposse said:

The launch price should be high to set a value for the product (you don't want your system to be known as the 'cheap' console) and to take advantage of the early adopters who are willing to pay crazy prices regardless.

People were buying PS2s for over MSRP (and most times, WAY over) for nearly a year after release -- if people truly want something, price suddenly becomes a non-issue.

Thats fine and dandy had Sony not made such a mess.

Greekboy

Banned
TekunoRobby said:
Yes you're absolutely right, fuck let's not worry that we might pay upwards $40 for each game because having game prices gradually rise for a market that's traditionally cheaper than other sectors means great success for my wallet! The prices are definitely over-inflated, I agree with that but I don't want Sony to continue the trend of over-inflation either.

I find it funny that no even complained about the software prices.

You'd still be paying those insane prices if it wasn't for viable (hopefully) competition like the PSP. DS, PSP and GBA prices will all come down if the former two handhelds take off.

Long live competition.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Quick poll: Ignoring for a second whether you can personally afford a PSP - If it retails for about $300, is there anyone here who thinks that would be overpriced for what the PSP offers? If so, what's a better value in consumer electronics in the same price range?

Deg

Banned
kaching said:
Quick poll: Ignoring for a second whether you can personally afford a PSP - If it retails for about $300, is there anyone here who thinks that would be overpriced for what the PSP offers? If so, what's a better value in consumer electronics in the same price range?

In the same price range? How about this what is a better value product in the GBASP price range?

jarrod

Banned
Lisa Lashes said:
You'd still be paying those insane prices if it wasn't for viable (hopefully) competition like the PSP. DS, PSP and GBA prices will all come down if the former two handhelds take off.

Long live competition.
Nintendo dropped GBA software pricing/royalty rates without any direct competition actually. Consumers wanted lower prices on 3rd party games and Nintendo responded, that simple.

kaching said:
$300 for PSP seems fair to me. I hope they throw in a 16MB memorystick for game saves though.

DaCocoBrova

I see...you quickly changing the subject after getting challenged about 30fps

Nice try, but no not quite. We can place bets if you'd like, but I'm almost positive we will not see too many 60fps games until the 2nd gen of software. Excuses about small dev cycle, getting it ready for launch yada yada...

We've been here many, many times before. I'm starting to catch on.

Top Bottom