• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP USB driver difficulties

I'm trying to transfer files to my PSP using an old Windows 98 PC. It recognizes the device connecting, but asks for drivers which I do not have. Is there anything I could do to get this old lunker up to speed with my sexy black little number here?

I think you are probably out of luck. The PSP with memory stick shows up as a USB Mass Storage device (sort of a generic, standardized device), for which there never any drivers for Windows 98, as far as I know.

You might be able to find a card reader that would work (taking the PSP out of the equation) *if* such things exist with manufacturer-provided reader-specific drivers (look for "compatible with Windows 98" or something). Otherwise, Windows XP, 2000, and I think ME all have USB Mass Storage drivers built in.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
You can definitely get it to work. In fact, I just saw a Win98 driver for PSP somewhere the other day (I can't remember where though, sorry; just look around). 98 does support USB Mass Storage Devices, as my girlfriend still has it and uses a memory stick reader, iPod and external hard drive through USB with no problems.

Edit: It DOES have to be Windows 98 Second Edition, which was released in '99. Go to your system properties if you aren't sure whether or not you have it. If you only have the original release, you're out of luck; USB devices aren't supported at all.

_Angelus_

Banned
Is Windows ME pretty much Windows '98? Fuck I'm pretty casual with the PC stuff,sorry. But if so I'm able to transfer files over to the PSP without any problems. I wish I could help you out.

mosaic

go eat paint
I wish I could remember where I found it, but even though I'm running Win98SE, I had to download a newer version of the USB drivers. The file I downloaded was nusb20e.exe

I believe I got it from a German site... I know, sketchy, but the latest Norton didn't find anything tainted in it. And once I installed it, the PSP started mounting as Drive G.

Top Bottom