• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVITA $160 @ RadioShack right now

RaikuHebi

Banned
Well yeah, my iphone is LTE which in this area comes to around 46Mbps down..

so does this come with a card or do I have to buy one to do anything?
You need a card.

I was about to say... didn't Sony already state Remote Play does not work over 3g?

Shame they never released a 4g model.
The thing only supports 3G for browsing and for downloading games that aren't above a certain size limit (really small like 50mb-100mb or something).

I actually think a decent 3G connection could do remote play ok with reduced picture quality. We'll see soon when people test it in different scenarios.

But as borghe is going to do, LTE is the way to go, with a stable connection might even rival the home experience.

kakashi08

I've never played the Vita but I'm really interested in it. I'm a PC gamer, so never played the ps3 also.
I'm probably getting this, any good games for the Vita that someone could recommend?

think you can get places to price match this?

I've never played the Vita but I'm really interested in it. I'm a PC gamer, so never played the ps3 also.
I'm probably getting this, any good games for the Vita that someone could recommend?

this isn't the thread to ask, as theres not many vita owners here - if you want to take the red pill and see how far the rabbit hole goes, check out the monthly vita thread.

you'll get the best answers for any vita questions there ( esp. regarding games)

nin1000

Banned

Same goes here , does it ship to the EU ?
always intended to get a Vita this year but the 3DS got in the way.
would love to play all the psp games :)

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Would jump on this if it came with a mem stick. Still holding out for a bundle on Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

4GB stick is currently $12 on Amazon. So even grabbing that you still come out way ahead than the normal 4GB bundles. 8GB will be $9.99 on Black Friday at GameStop.

Will probably just do that.. go without a mem stick until Black Friday and then blitz Gstop for a couple 8GB sticks and 1 year PSN cards. $80 later and I should have 16GB of sticks and be good on Plus through like 2017.

Yeah, I think I'll hold off til then too, if this was amazon it'd be real tempting (no sales tax, free shipping, etc.)

This was free shipping. and it's a 30 day return policy to the store. So even if Amazon has something better there's more than enough time to return this to the store for full refund.

gazele

Banned
4GB stick is currently $12 on Amazon. So even grabbing that you still come out way ahead than the normal 4GB bundles. 8GB will be $9.99 on Black Friday at GameStop.

Will probably just do that.. go without a mem stick until Black Friday and then blitz Gstop for a couple 8GB sticks and 1 year PSN cards. $80 later and I should have 16GB of sticks and be good on Plus through like 2017.

This was free shipping. and it's a 30 day return policy to the store. So even if Amazon has something better there's more than enough time to return this to the store for full refund.

that's really cool, didn't realize that

Tripon

Its crazy how some people will pay $160 for the promise of 'remote play' while some other portion of gaf declares that the Wii U needs to take out the game pad and slash the price $100.

We don't even know how well remote play on the PS4-Vita will work yet.

TheMan

still too high, especially considering that memory sticks are so expensive. black friday 100 dollar vitas are coming anyway, so i'd wait.

Guymelef

Its crazy how some people will pay $160 for the promise of 'remote play' while some other portion of gaf declares that the Wii U needs to take out the game pad and slash the price $100.

You can do more than remote play with a PS Vita, but your avatar speaks for itself.

Between this and the Wii U sale from the other day, I am soooooo tight I don't have the random disposable income for this.

This is a great price (though those Black Friday bundles from last year that included the game were even better, IMHO).

Tripon

You can do more than remote play with a PS Vita, but your avatar speaks for itself.

The OP says use it for remote play. And I have gone on record here multiple times I have a PS4 pre-ordered. But thank you for judging me on my avatar, I'm sure that my opinion on anything non-nintendo related means nothing now. I better change it or people will get the wrong idea!

RaikuHebi

Banned
But PS+ kills that idea.
I just order a 64gb card from Nin-Nin.
Ahhh my mistake. For some reason I don't have PS+ yet haha.

From what we've seen, as well as the WiiU.

KalBalboa

Banned
For those asking on what games to get:

LittleBigPlanet
Hotline Miami
Sound Shapes
Guacamelee
Gravity Rush
Uncharted Golden Abyss
Velocity Ultra
PixelJunk Monsters

Just a quick extemporaneous list. I haven't played Killzone yet.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

ya but those Wii U detractors are crazy anyway.

as for remote play we already have videos of it working with Knack and Killzone. Doesn't skip a beat. The only thing we really don't know is the latency difference between WiFi access and WiFi Direct access. If WiFi access is still within 3 frames (under 50ms) I would find that acceptable. If WiFi Direct access is less than two frames (33ms) it would actually beat Wii U. But I'm guessing Direct will match Wii U.. but then you need your PS4 wired into the router.

Holy shit. If I didn't already have one of these godly devices I would jump on this. If you are at all interested in a Vita this is a steal for that price!!

meppi

God, this is awful. I'm tempted to buy a second vita so that I have another OLED around in case the first one kicks the bucket. That's not healthy behavior, man.

Just keep in mind that when you do, you won't be alone. ;)

4GB stick and physical games in my opinion
I buy all my games as retail copies if there is a possibility. Even import if it's needed, yet that doesn't work for me at all and I have 2 8GB cards.
I can see a 16GB card working for people who don't buy lots of digital stuff. But when you do, 32GB is a good idea. And if you do a lot of PSP games as well as PS+, a 64GB one soon becomes a necessity.

My guess is they aren't the same people. I think the Remote Play is a cool addition, but nothing I'd pay for when coming to Wii U games. I don't care if the kid sees me play. When it comes to PS4, I have to be a little more selective of what he walks in on. I'm not overly worried but I won't usually play GTA V if he's sitting next to me. I have no problems with Nintendo games.

It's still not worth the Vita price tag for just remote play though, it's a combination of things that will get me to buy it. It's just a plus (but not a huge one).

Symphonic

I really think the PS4 is going to give the Vita a boost in sales. Hopefully Sony isn't fucking idiotic and takes advantage of the situation and announces more games for it.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
with this memory card absurdity still in full swing, that's definitely too much for me I'm afraid

Hex

Banned

Perhaps if the Wii U game pad had its own library of pretty fucking great games of its own on top of the remote play you might be on to a point.
AND the fact that since as a PS4 owner you will already have PS Plus so you will be getting free (YES FUCKING FREE I really do not care what kind of arguments you want to make.) Vita games every month anyway.

Kibbles

Do we know of Black Friday deals and if they will be on the new psv2000? I'm thinking of snatching this up but it might be best to wait and see.

Keri

still too high, especially considering that memory sticks are so expensive. black friday 100 dollar vitas are coming anyway, so i'd wait.

Waiting for Black Friday, $100 dollars is the sweetspot, with the decent-sized memory cards being so friggin expensive.

Are you referencing a specific deal at a specific store? Has there been a leaked ad that gives this price? I need to know for Christmas reasons!

Tripon

Perhaps if the Wii U game pad had its own library of pretty fucking great games of its own on top of the remote play you might be on to a point.
AND the fact that since as a PS4 owner you will already have PS Plus so you will be getting free (YES FUCKING FREE I really do not care what kind of arguments you want to make.) Vita games every month anyway.

Again, that's not the argument the OP was making. Heck, that's not the argument Sony is making for the Vita-PS4 remote play connection. Its not touted as a feature at Sony's press conference concerning the PS4, its touted as THE FEATURE.

I'll also point out that memory cards for the Vita are expensive as heck, and will eat into the savings on the Vita itself pretty quick.

But go ahead and pretend you didn't read this post.

Tripon

I'm such a newb :'(
Didn't even know...

Keep your chin up. Keep on posting, don't get into trouble, and eventually after a certain threshold you'll gain member status.

For some reason, its not listed anywhere on the site, but you'll get there eventually.

Keri

I'm thinking of buying this for my boyfriend for Christmas, can you guys help me out with something? How important is 3G for the PS VITA?

RadioShack ran out of stock on the 3G version. Is it worth it to get the regular WiFI version now, or is that considered a crucial element of gaming on the VITA? (Obviously, I can't ask my boyfriend for his personal opinion. Assume he is the smartest bestest of gamers, what's the right answer?

EDIT: Also I might try to edit this post later, for maximum security and sneakiness.

I'm thinking of buying this for my boyfriend for Christmas, can you guys help me out with something? How important is 3G for the PS VITA?

RadioShack ran out of stock on the 3G version. Is it worth it to get the regular WiFI version now, or is that considered a crucial element of gaming on the VITA? (Obviously, I can't ask my boyfriend for his personal opinion. Assume he is the smartest bestest of gamers, what's the right answer?

EDIT: Also I might try to edit this post later, for maximum security and sneakiness.

You'll be 100% fine with the non-3g version of that thing because that 3g is really kind of silly in this world of 4g LTE markets and hotspotting and such.

It's a trivial feature at best, and a pointless feature at worse, IMO. You can't even remote play over it anyway, sooo

I'm not downplaying Tearaway in any way as I know it's a must buy, but what do Vita owners have to look forward to after that? (this is not a derisive question, I honestly haven't kept up on Vita game news)

Keri

You'll be 100% fine with the non-3g version of that thing because that 3g is really kind of silly in this world of 4g LTE markets and hotspotting and such.

It's a trivial feature at best, and a pointless feature at worse, IMO. You can't even remote play over it anyway, sooo

Thanks so much! Exactly what I needed to know!

Jhriad

I'm not downplaying Tearaway in any way as I know it's a must buy, but what do Vita owners have to look forward to after that? (this is not a derisive question, I honestly haven't kept up on Vita game news)

Never owned a Psp and I'm looking forward to playing a bunch RPGs that I missed.

Edit: plus remote play would be handy.

Top Bottom