• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR2 | Review Thread

As a gamer from Europe, I have to say I'm pretty underwhelmed. Yeah, the technology is impressive, and it's got potential for the future, but let's be real, the launch lineup is pretty mediocre.

Then there is the price. Does Sony seriously expect people to drop the equivalent of 4+ months of food on this thing, during a war and economic downturn? It's just not feasible for most households.

I know some people are all about VR gaming, but let's be honest, no one has really figured out how to do it right yet. The technology might be there, but it’s still more of an experience compared to gaming. Will Sony really want to keep investing in this if it does not sell well?

Until we have more compelling games and a more reasonable price point, I'm not sold on this product.

Sony, it’s time to cut the cord.
Please see the price in context. Yes it might be 4+ months of food for you, for the people living in Sweden I can buy 3 headsets a month instead of food lol.

Edit: I meant to type 2 headsets a month. Same stuff basically though.

Headset is incredibly cheap, especially compared to comparable tech. It’s even cheaper at launch the psvr1 in comparison, yet infinitely more advanced.

Last edited:
Would love to have it one day but there needs to be waaaaaay more games then there are now. I dont want to play again all the games I already had but in VR, more games like Alyx etc

midnightAI

Oh dear, The Verge has fallen into the trap again, 'eye tracking is supposed to enable foveated rendering which lets games render at a higher resolution right where you are looking but its harder to see the effect of that so far' (its The Verge though so why am I surprised)

the naked gun facepalm GIF

Got no time for people trying to underrate the hardware. Specially when they mention games or whatever speculation about the future.

When the PS5 and XSX came out people were reviewing the hardware separate from the games. For some reason with PSVR2 some people are expanding the scope of the review.

It’s state of the art VR.
yeah, I don't get it either. John DF offering some historical context made me believe he felt the PSVR2 was a historically significant step in the development of VR, but in the end the end, he focuses mainly on the price? That was a let down.

NX Gamer's review was significantly better and suitably glowing for what is best-in-class hardware. Of course there is always the software issue, but I'm really more than happy with the launch lineup.

Fredrik

As expected it seems they delivered some great tech and it's now all about the games.
As with all platforms since forever.
I love VR, I’ll be investing once AAA devs are investing. Already done the indie/AA thing, it’s not enough for me.

Last edited:
All reviews and people complaining about price comes from a deep jealousy and hatred that their pc is not the king of vr anymore. It’s honestly baffling because in the same sentence they mention Quest Pro or other 1500 dollar headsets and somehow the price of those less great than PSVR2 headsets doesn’t matter at all lol. They don’t even compare anything, they just have to say PSVR2 is expensive because my pcvr became worthless.

Same with the 1 cable. Reviewers are freaking out about anything because they just can’t believe how great the headset is, so they have to find these kind of “flaws” to justify their pc master race items lol. It’s a bit sad actually that most of them stoop to such low levels instead of reviewing the product for what it is, THE best vr headset money can buy at the moment with THE best gaming support.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member

Oh dear, The Verge has fallen into the trap again, 'eye tracking is supposed to enable foveated rendering which lets games render at a higher resolution right where you are looking but its harder to see the effect of that so far' (its The Verge though so why am I surprised)

the naked gun facepalm GIF

Of course Tom Warren was going to try to push the score down, make stupid comments, and make some complaint about being forced to play it on PlayStation. He probably threw up knowing how many PlayStation devices he was in close proximity to.

SLB1904

Banned
One nitpick about this review is that turning off gaze tracking in Horizon does not turn off the foveated rendering so he isnt going to see any performance difference, gaze tracking is just used for menu selection in this setting.
I've seen nitpick for everything but nitpick because you can't make the game worst? That's a first

sachos

, but in the end the end, he focuses mainly on the price? That was a let down
Yeah! I felt exactly the same, i knew he would be gushing about the OLED and HDR screen, knowing how finicky his tastes are getting high price from him means the screen is incredible good. Everything about his review was incredible positive and then kinda ends it on a sour note talking about price but never put into perspective the price and features compared with its actual competitors, PC VR headsets, thought for sure he would do that. Still a great review though, he is one of the fews that can actually articulate why the tech is good.

midnightAI

I've seen nitpick for everything but nitpick because you can't make the game worst? That's a first
Sorry, I meant I'm nitpicking his review because he said when he turned off gaze tracking it didnt affect performance
I was just pointing out that he wont see any difference because turning off gaze tracking does not turn off the foveated rendering

Mr.ODST

Launch line up seems to be the issue here. Ill wait a year or two and hopefully the line up will be more interesting
Decided to cancel my preorder, realistically it will drop price massivley very soon, I ordered my games ready for then in the mean time since they are on discount

sachos

If this is going to be your first VR experience you are going to get your mind blown it seems. The word of mouth will be big. You also get a "free" portable OLED HDR 120hz screen for your 2D games lol

TrebleShot

I literally cant wait, this is more exciting than the PS5 launch itself.
As a jaded gamer who hasnt been overly impressed with traditional 2d gaming for a few years I cant wait for the next level that VR brings.

Hoping to get charged for the headset soon. Charge dock already charged! (UK)

Lunarorbit

7/10 NY times article but at least they gave a decent response to way its a 7 and maybe a potential bum up of the score when more games come out.

Verge? They're picture shows someone completely wrapped up in psvr2 one wire. And they're too upset that it can't connect to a pc. Please kindly fuck off

As a gamer from Europe, I have to say I'm pretty underwhelmed. Yeah, the technology is impressive, and it's got potential for the future, but let's be real, the launch lineup is pretty mediocre.

Then there is the price. Does Sony seriously expect people to drop the equivalent of 4+ months of food on this thing, during a war and economic downturn? It's just not feasible for most households.

I know some people are all about VR gaming, but let's be honest, no one has really figured out how to do it right yet. The technology might be there, but it’s still more of an experience compared to gaming. Will Sony really want to keep investing in this if it does not sell well?

Until we have more compelling games and a more reasonable price point, I'm not sold on this product.

Sony, it’s time to cut the cord.
Experiences are what I want from the time I game if I’m honest. I don’t have 8 hours a day to plug into these monotonous open world games or grind fests.

You say you want compelling games, but what are they? There’s little point in saying something like that without examples to back it up. The reason I say that is because it’s launching with a bunch of different style games. It has driving (GT7), adventure (CoTM), shooter (Pavlov), horror (RE8) and even tabletop RPG (Demeo) as well as many others. What more is it you actually want at launch? I honestly feel like it’s trolling at this point because there is something for almost everyone.

Yes, price is a little high (considering the economic climate) and that’s unfortunate for those who can’t afford to jump in. This was never going to be a £250-300 headset though and comparable tech on the PC is considerably more expensive.

Idk why a lot of people are surprised by reviewers having a issue with the price. No matter how you try to justify it, this headset is expensive.

PS5 = $399
PSVR 2 = $549
VR2 Game = $59

Total price to experience PS VR2 = $1,007+ plus tax

That is a hefty asking price especially when you consider the lack of PC support which limits features compared to cheaper headsets like the Quest 2. It also doesn’t have a big library of games compared to other headsets at the moment which is important if a consumer is deciding on picking this up now compared to other options.

The tech in this thing is amazing but that doesn’t matter if you don’t have the game library or features to push it, in the future if Sony supports this thing it will be a beast and with a price cut it might take off but there is no question this devices has red flags and the price is a major red flag because alot of people are not sold on VR yet and that price does not help to push this at all.

You got to keep in mind for this thing to take off it has to appeal to a wide audience and the price is and will be a major issue for people to want to give this a chance.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I am still baffled by the 'lack of software' complaints, it's like they think this is the whole line up and no more games are being made, its weird.
It's the weirdest thing that I'm reading. Well that and the fact that some seem to think it's a negative that you need a PS5 to use it. Like DUH!!!!!!

Yeh, agreed, over 30 titles at launch, how many consoles launch with that many? (yet here it is a problem, and yes, I know many games are Quest ports, but lots of people are upgrading straight from PSVR 1 so those should still count)

Most console launches have ports. All of them have since the PS3 days. I'm not sure WTH some of these people were expecting. Why is a Quest port of a game that came out 9 months ago bad?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Yet here you are (j/p) :messenger_savoring:

going for an eye doc apt tomrrow, maybe get some new glasses that help with my issues (hard to focus on stuff to close to face. Hell maybe vr won’t make me sick any more….

But I’d still prob go all in once over this. Only have a ps5 but the freedom of a quest 2 was the best vr I ever did.

Last edited:
Idk why a lot of people are surprised by reviewers having a issue with the price. No matter here you try to justify it, this headset is expensive.

PS5 = $399
PSVR 2 = $549
VR2 Game = $59

That is a hefty asking price especially when you consider the lack of PC support which limits features compared to cheaper headsets like the Quest 2. It also doesn’t have a big library of games compared to other headsets at the moment which is important if a consumer is deciding on picking this up now compared to other options.

The tech in this thing is amazing but that doesn’t matter if you don’t have the game library or features to push it, in the future if Sony supports this thing it will be a beast and with a price cut it might take off but there is no question this devices has red flags and the price is a major red flag because alot of people are not sold on VR yet and that price does not help to push this at all.

You got to keep in mind for this thing to take off it has to appeal to a wide audience and the price is and will be a major issue for people to want to give this a chance.
Because they forget to make any comparison to PC prices. Look I can do this:

Oculus Quest 2, 499
PC 1200
Games 50 a piece?

Oh wait, that is not expensive right? Do they complain about this? No, that's why people complain about these reviews. Then they suddenly say: Yeah but you already have a pc right? But omit like: But yeah, you already have a PS5 right? See the selective argument they make here? And lets be honest, those 1700 dollars, don't offer an experience that come even close to PSVR2. That's why. Those reviewers are just salty about their expensive tech becoming worthless overnight. It's very transparent and such low blows hurt their credibility I'd say.

Star Wars graphics comparison...

Video should be at least 4K to see anything. Also, it shows the devs of this game didn't really put in a lot of effort to make the PSVR2 version better. I fear it'll be the same with Cities VR. Some other games though show much more dramatic improvements.

Reviews are more mixed than I expected.

This and Horizon getting lukewarm reviews, along with soft presale numbers, does not bode well for the platform.
All reviews are glowing, except for some irrelevant (or actually just plain wrong) complaining about the price and compatibility with older software lol. The quality of the reviews are terrible to be honest because they put in a lot of irrelevant stuff to just be able to say some negatives about PSVR2. When they talk about the PSVR2 itself you can hear they're actually all say it's completely amazing.

Last edited:

Kacho

Reviews are more mixed than I expected.

This and Horizon getting lukewarm reviews, along with soft presale numbers, does not bode well for the platform.
Yep. It will get the occasional cool game like all VR platforms do and that’s about it. This isn’t going to light up the charts at that price.

SLB1904

Banned
Sorry, I meant I'm nitpicking his review because he said when he turned off gaze tracking it didnt affect performance
I was just pointing out that he wont see any difference because turning off gaze tracking does not turn off the foveated rendering
Oh I misunderstanding you. I thought you say the reviewer nitpick not you.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
All reviews are glowing, except for some irrelevant complaining about the price and compatibility with older software lol. The quality of the reviews are terrible to be honest because they put in a lot of irrelevant stuff to just be able to say some negatives about PSVR2. When they talk about the PSVR2 itself you can hear they're actually all say it's completely amazing.

All reviews aren't glowing. I've read them. Some reviews are glowing, some aren't. Hence, "mixed".

All reviews aren't glowing. I've read them. Some reviews are glowing, some aren't. Hence, "mixed".
Please enlighten me about those that aren't. What are their problems with the PSVR2? Reviews on page 1 are like 9/10 on average.

VGC:
  • Shallow launch lineup of original titles
  • Some controller awkwardness
ArsTechnica:
  • Features like headset rumble and eye-tracking seem underutilized
  • USB tether can get in the way, limits where you can use it
  • No built-in speakers or headphones
  • Lots of software ports and few platform-selling exclusives
  • Requires a PS5 to do the heavy processing
  • No compatibility with existing PSVR software
TrustedReviews:
  • No backwards compatability
  • More expensive than a PS5
  • Can be uncomfortable after extended use
These are the minuses they come up with: Lets be honest here, not a single of these points make sense. I will elaborate:

• Shallow launch lineup of original titles (Which console has a better launch lineup than 30 games on release + heavy hitters as GT7, RE: Village and other games?)
  • Some controller awkwardness (Nobody has any issues with the controllers but this review, so seems like a personal opinion rather than a fact)
  • Features like headset rumble and eye-tracking seem underutilized (Ok fair point, this is purely a software complaint though, has nothing to do with PSVR2)
  • USB tether can get in the way, limits where you can use it (c'mon really? Cable is 5 meters long, we're not talking about a 0.5M nintendo mini controller cable here)
  • No built-in speakers or headphones (would be a valid point if they don't supply earbuds with the product, which they do)
  • Lots of software ports and few platform-selling exclusives (same as before, launch lineup is best range for consoles ever, but hey gotta complain)
  • Requires a PS5 to do the heavy processing (that's why the graphics are so good, weird point no?)
  • No compatibility with existing PSVR software (Completely different hardware and most games get a free upgrade, so a nonsense point)
  • No backwards compatability (same as above)
  • More expensive than a PS5 (So? it's very cheap for what you get and also a tribute to how cheap PS5 hardware actually is)
  • Can be uncomfortable after extended use (literally 1 review says this, all others say that e.g. you can game for 5 hours straight and it never feels uncomfortable)

Your turn :)

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Please enlighten me about those that aren't. What are their problems with the PSVR2?

I mean, read the OP?

• Rumble/eye-tracking underutilized
  • USB tether can get in the way
  • Not enough original software
  • No backwards compatibility
  • Too expensive
  • And then from some other reviews such as Kinda Funny, there's complaints that it doesn't feel like enough of a generational leap to be recommended to people that don't already love VR and the launch software isn't compelling enough to attract new customers

I mean, read the OP?

• Rumble/eye-tracking underutilized
  • USB tether can get in the way
  • Not enough original software
  • No backwards compatibility
  • Too expensive
  • And then from some other reviews such as Kinda Funny, there's complaints that it doesn't feel like enough of a generational leap to be recommended to people that don't already love VR and the launch software isn't compelling enough to attract new customers
We posted at the same time :). Please read my previous post hehe

Because they forget to make any comparison to PC prices. Look I can do this:

Oculus Quest 2, 499
PC 1200
Games 50 a piece?

Oh wait, that is not expensive right? Do they complain about this? No, that's why people complain about these reviews. Then they suddenly say: Yeah but you already have a pc right? But omit like: But yeah, you already have a PS5 right? See the selective argument they make here? And lets be honest, those 1700 dollars, don't offer an experience that come even close to PSVR2. That's why. Those reviewers are just salty about their expensive tech becoming worthless overnight. It's very transparent and such low blows hurt their credibility I'd say.
You don’t need a PC to use the Quest 2 it’s a standalone headset.

Also the fact that you need a PS5 is one of the reasons the headset should be cheaper, if the PS5 is doing most of the hefty lifting why is the PS VR2 still so expensive if it can’t do shit on its own? Sony is definitely overcharging with the price, the bastards already charged my card the day the reviews dropped now I can’t cancel and have to wait to ship it back …. Smh lol. I might still keep it, we will see.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I can live with the cable, and the launch lineup, overall pretty happy with most decisions.
The one that perplexes me the most is the lack of any built in speakers. Seems super awkward if you have a group wanting to try it out, your not going to share the included earbuds. Strapping in a big regular set of headphones with a relatively long cable doesn't sound like much fun either. Plus no Bluetooth support?
Still, seems like it's worth the cash, just annoying.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
We posted at the same time :). Please read my previous post hehe

You're wrong though. Right off the top of my head, The Verge also notes controller drift and inaccurate hand placement issues. And Parris Lily of Kinda Funny pointed out that the controllers button placement felt awkward and unintuitive to him.

I'm not going to go through your whole list as you're clearly in defense mode, but regardless, the evidence isn't hard to find that reviews are not "all glowing". They're mixed, by definition.

That doesn't mean you won't love it and that doesn't mean it's not a great headset, but burying your head in the sand and pretending no criticisms exist doesn't make what you're saying any less false.

Last edited:

Unknown?

Idk why a lot of people are surprised by reviewers having a issue with the price. No matter here you try to justify it, this headset is expensive.

PS5 = $399
PSVR 2 = $549
VR2 Game = $59

That's still cheaper than just a PCVR headset alone.

Top Bottom