• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSX on PSP: what are you playing?

zmeston

Here are my quick-and-dirty icon and BG for Deception III: Dark Delusion, which is working great:

d3iconcj1.png

d3bgnz4.png

-Z.

For MGS:

If indeed you cannot save between discs, couldn't you resume play on a PC emulator using your most recent PSP save, get to the next "disc," save, and put the fixed save on the PSP?

Also somebody tell me how the **** to beat Psycho Mantis.

Danj

Aristotlekh said:
couldn't you resume play on a PC emulator using your most recent PSP save, get to the next "disc," save, and put the fixed save on the PSP?

How is that gonna work then? Is there magically now a PC emulator which will accept PSP format save games/memory cards?

Aristotlekh said:
Also somebody tell me how the **** to beat Psycho Mantis.

Die 5 times, then kill the statues.

well, im gonna wait to play MGS then, I just finished SOTN best ending with only 1 problem durring the entire game (one point kept freezing when you used the warp, but you could get around it by walking)

junier

Banned
RE3 = Done! Classic game, looks great on the PSP. I still dig those pre-rendered backgrounds too. And as much as I love RE4, killing zombies is....cathartic.

I tried to use PSPBrew to change the icon and background image, but it took a 1/2 hour to load the eboot, and then my computer crashed while saving it (doh!). Faster just to reconvert it.

mentalward said:
hey replica,

how do you get the "save anywhere" option? is that a feature of the emulator or is it something you were able to add with a firmware customizer?

Use CWCheat PRX POPs version (I linked it in a previous post) and add the following info into the cheat.db file:

Code:
_C0 FF7: Save anywhere
_L 0x1109D2A6 0x00000000

Voila, instant saving :)

Ryu

IIRC, you could save at the end of disc 1 in MGS. I'm tempted to go home and speed run it just to make sure.

[Edit] Thanks for the MGS Statue tip. I totaly forgot about that.

RanoNL

I've got CD1 of Final Fantasy IX working now. Included:

"ICON0.PNG"
"PIC1.PNG"
"PIC0.PNG"
Game title
Save title
Save ID

I've got Final Fantasy IX CD1 copied double on my MemoryStick. But one doesn't reconize the savegame of the other, and otherwise. How is it possible to swap from CD1 to CD2 when the files don't reconize eachothers savegames.

RanoNL said:

"ICON0.PNG"
"PIC1.PNG"
"PIC0.PNG"
Game title
Save title
Save ID

I've got Final Fantasy IX CD1 copied double on my MemoryStick. But one doesn't reconize the savegame of the other, and otherwise. How is it possible to swap from CD1 to CD2 when the files don't reconize eachothers savegames.

POPs works from the SCUS ID of the game. Make sure that each PSP executable has the same ID and you should be fine.

bhytre

Soukyugurentai
Parasite Eve
Zanac X Zanac
Metal Slug X
Resident Evil 3
Castlevania SOTN

Someone please find a solution for Parasite Eve 2 :(

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
bhytre said:
Soukyugurentai
Parasite Eve
Zanac X Zanac
Metal Slug X
Resident Evil 3
Castlevania SOTN

Someone please find a solution for Parasite Eve 2 :(

Good taste in games. You need to get down w/ AirGrave tho. Game is great.

*Gives Strider 2 another shot*

B.K.

replicashooter said:
POPs works from the SCUS ID of the game. Make sure that each PSP executable has the same ID and you should be fine.

But how would you do games like Suikoden II that use another game's save file to convert for bonus features?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
B.K. said:
But how would you do games like Suikoden II that use another game's save file to convert for bonus features?

Have both games use the same SCUS ID.

Every time you input a new SCUS ID for each game, you're effectively creating 2 virtual memory cards. I don't know why people are bothering with the SCUS ID...it's not a problem unless you're planning to play more than 20+ PSX games on your PSP

RanoNL

Wario64 said:

Every time you input a new SCUS ID for each game, you're effectively creating 2 virtual memory cards. I don't know why people are bothering with the SCUS ID...it's not a problem unless you're planning to play more than 20+ PSX games on your PSP
Aha, now I get it. Ok, thanks!

suikodan

Wario64 said:

Yeah, I don't mind that my game is called HSG2 nor that all my saves go into the same file because after all, it just simulates a memory card and write into it and not over it.

Got my saves from FF7, Suikoden2, Dead or Alive and SOTN all on it. Any reports that a game might corrupt the file or something?

DaCocoBrova

Just did these up this morning. Thought I'd share:

R-Type Delta
rtdfinalfinalqc7.png

rtdthumbfinalue7.png

Strider 2
striderpic1bp9.png

strider2thumbee3.png

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
RanoNL said:

"ICON0.PNG"
"PIC1.PNG"
"PIC0.PNG"
Game title
Save title
Save ID

You don't need to do anything. I'm on disk 3 of FFIX already and I didn't have to do anything special. The save you make just prior to disk swap will change your game save itself to disk 2. Just make your eboot for FFIX disk 2 and put it in, no special names, no special registration numbers. Just put it in and load the game up like you would any other game.

Brofist

My games are all in my apt back in Japan, I borrowed a couple games from my friend like SotN and Silent Hill. Can't wait to get back and really give this a go.

Fady K

Matix said:
Sadly I don't have a homebrew compatible PSP as of now (feel so ****ing left out), but in my dreams..

- Persona 2
- Panzer Bandit
- Rival Schools
- Xenogears
- Jumping Flash 1-2
- Strider 2
- Alundra
- Evil Zone
- Tobal 2
- Ehrgeiz
- Tails Concerto
- Klonoa
- The Legend of Dragoon
- Kings Field 1-2
- Theme Hospital
- Soul Blade
- Omega Boost
- Deception 2
- Parasite Eve
- Clock Tower 1-2
- Ninpu Sentai Harikenger

seriously, the list is nearly endless.

Im left out too :( Nice list btw, i feel like playing some clock tower portable :(

You lucky punks get to play Symphony of the Night and Vagrant Story on the go :'(

be sure to use this or something like it kids:

Popstation GUI

makes customizing alot easier I find

as far as what I'm playing, not really much and I'm gonna hold off for now until the next revision of the emulator comes out that supports TRUE analog....not just mapping the nub to the dpad

seriously, playing Parasite Eve, FFVIII (of what I could play), among others is just ****ing hideous at this point and I'm only really messing around with DPad oriented stuff like SotN and Strider 2

Freak

Getting some serious fun out of Front Mission 3 again (it looks quite amazing).. and like the masses Vagrant Story will probably be next on my list.
Then it'll just be a case of going through all my unfinished PSX titles 1 at a time till i get a bigger memorystick :)

STG!

Been playing Rakugaki Showtime and Harmful Park, on-the-go Rakugaki is just amazing. Runs flawlessly, and works perfect with the games control scheme. Harmful Park took a bit of adjusting as I use the L2/R2 shoulder buttons frequently in game. Gonna be looking for a larger Memory Stick on my ride home from work today. :)

For those that got Symphony of the Night working, I was having some trouble ripping my game to the correct .iso format. I've never ripped a game before and I'm using a trial version of Alcohol 120%. Had no problems with the above two, which struck me as odd. Any ideas as to what I might be doing wrong? Or know of a good guide to do so? Thank you!

DaCocoBrova

You can rip to .iso, .bin, mdf... popstation accepts them all like a good hooker.

STG!

Oh, ok, so it does convert those .mdf files, thanks DaCocoBrova. It didn't appear as a default file type in the Popstation GUI so I thought it might not have accepted that. Works for me! :)

Can't wait to try some more games (R-Type Delta sounds very good!).

shoplifter

Lyte Edge said:
Does Tobal 2 work? I want to try some games I'm not seeing listed yet...

It seemed to work well enough. No issues from the 45 minutes or so I played, aside from the text being a little hard to read.

hyp

so i've been playing FF7 on and off and i was wondering... have any of you successfully gotten past the 1st and 2nd discs using the PSX emu? i don't want to keep playing if i know for a fact that i won't be able to progress onto the next couple discs. anyhow, if you've got any success stories, please share =].

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
obsolete said:
why did i not hear about internal section until now....LTTP to the max.

QFT, I just saw a video of this game and I'm pretty damn impressed. I miss the Squaresoft of the SNES-PSX days when they were pretty much the best game company out there :( Rez is one of my favorite games of all time and this looks right up my alley... too bad the only copy I can find on ebay is 90 bucks. Does anybody know if it goes for cheaper?

ShinNL

Beatmania.

You can't beat that, it just rocks.
It just ... does.

Damn I want to use my Append mixes!! No Metal Gear Solid theme FTL.

Still fun.

But no Append AAARGH.

Anyway, get the Beatmania's if you can still find it (pretty impossible now muhahaha)

Oh, for people wondering what kind of game that is (are you GAF worthy for not knowing?), it's like DJ Max Portable, except that I have never played DJ Max Portable. It's a realy good portable game because hell, I was searching all over the place for a portable Beatmania (and the gameboy color ones just didn't do it for me)

AgentOtaku said:
seriously, playing Parasite Eve, FFVIII (of what I could play), among others is just ****ing hideous at this point and I'm only really messing around with DPad oriented stuff like SotN and Strider 2
I thought those games were DPad oriented? Or is my memory getting vague :S

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Primarily Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete. A bit of Alundra, as well.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
I think I'm nearing the end of disc 1 but I don't remember how it ends... its been almost 10 years since I played this ^^;

ff7a6on8.jpg

ff7a33lh2.jpg

ff7a34xt1.jpg

ff7a35yb1.jpg

Defensor said:
Mashed pictures

I've just got to this point myself. So far so good, it's been entertaining.

Do you play the game stretched out like that? Tried it for a bit for sheer 'the screen is there and thou shalt useth it'-ness but the second option makes the game look nice and crisp.

Einhander is getting some hectic play as well - Why didn't they make a select level feature ala Gradius (or does it get unlocked up beating the game?) as my PSP is living in sleep mode in between hammering this game.

Kudos to the coders, their optimized for a few titles code has managed to run a large library of games from varied companies quite nicely.

Soneet said:
Beatmania.

You can't beat that, it just rocks.
It just ... does.

Damn I want to use my Append mixes!! No Metal Gear Solid theme FTL.

Still fun.

But no Append AAARGH.

Anyway, get the Beatmania's if you can still find it (pretty impossible now muhahaha)

Oh, for people wondering what kind of game that is (are you GAF worthy for not knowing?), it's like DJ Max Portable, except that I have never played DJ Max Portable. It's a realy good portable game because hell, I was searching all over the place for a portable Beatmania (and the gameboy color ones just didn't do it for me)

I thought those games were DPad oriented? Or is my memory getting vague :S

Well FFVII and earlier stuff where DPad oriented. Then Dual shock came out and more and more games started supporting/being designed with analog in mind and control better/look better IMO

FF7
SOTN
and
FFT

I only have a 1 gig stick, so I'll have to choose between FF7 and SOTN at one point. :(

How do you run the emu at 333mhz?

6.8 said:
FF7
SOTN
and
FFT

I only have a 1 gig stick, so I'll have to choose between FF7 and SOTN at one point. :(

How do you run the emu at 333mhz?

if you have 3.03oe-A2 firmware

just hold R1 button while booting up PSP. Takes you to Recovery menu where option is available :)

though won't matter for PSX stuff cause its already running at 333mhz from what I understand.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Ray Crisis, SoTN, and just loaded up Tactics Ogre.

RC is damn hard on the small screen though.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
AgentOtaku said:
though won't matter for PSX stuff cause its already running at 333mhz from what I understand.

You mean the actual emulator runs at 333mhz on non-modded/hacked PSPs too?

ProphetZG

TTP said:
You mean the actual emulator runs at 333mhz on non-modded/hacked PSPs too?

No mod or hack is needed. All PSP's can safely run at 333Mhz. Always could. Sony just enforced the 222Mhz cap presumably to maintain battery life, and there are also some rumored potential hardware issues if the CPU is clocked at 333Mhz while WiFi is running related to power draw. But the PSP CPU is rated to run at 333Mhz as is - it's not even considered OCing.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
ProphetZG said:
No mod or hack is needed. All PSP's can safely run at 333Mhz. Always could. Sony just enforced the 222Mhz cap presumably to maintain battery life, and there are also some rumored potential hardware issues if the CPU is clocked at 333Mhz while WiFi is running related to power draw. But the PSP CPU is rated to run at 333Mhz as is - it's not even considered OCing.

I know all of that. Thanks. The thing is, you cannot run a retail system at 333mhz. No PSP software is yet allowed to benefit from those extra 111mhz. The only way to get, say, Wipeout Pure to run at 333mhz is by running it under an unofficial firmware (which is basically a hack).

My question was about the PSone emulator. The way AgentOtaku puts it, sounds like a "non-hacked" PSP runs at 333mhz when in "PSone mode".

Top Bottom