• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Psych Season 8 |OT| Wait for Eiiight - Wednesdays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great finale. Loved the Adrian Monk reference, Kilmer showing up, Zane, as well Buzz getting his Junior Detective.badge.

The one thing I would've liked to see though was Gus getting a girl but the way they worked it works for the show and the character.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Great finale. Loved the Adrian Monk reference, Kilmer showing up, Zane, as well Buzz getting his Junior Detective.badge.

The one thing I would've liked to see though was Gus getting a girl but the way they worked it works for the show and the character.

There's always the rumored movie. I feel this was a season closer and they were going to do a location change as a "shot in the arm" but USA's sudden cancellation had them edit this into a finale. I don't think the Monk reference or Shule's marriage was planned until then.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
There's always the rumored movie. I feel this was a season closer and they were going to do a location change as a "shot in the arm" but USA's sudden cancellation had them edit this into a finale. I don't think the Monk reference or Shule's marriage was planned until then.

They knew it was ending when the season was announced, besides no way they'd ditch Lassie like that.

While USA usually does decide on renewals pretty late, I'm pretty sure they went into this season knowing pretty well that it was going to end.

I do hope they do a movie though. Get Gus a lady, Shawn and Jules a baby (that Shawn is teaching similar to Henry teaching him), Lassie fighting a losing battle to stay a cold, hard detective in the face of raising a little girl.. and hopefully getting Emilio Estevez in there to complete the Breakfast Club guest star list.

TheSeks

They knew it was ending when the season was announced, besides no way they'd ditch Lassie like that.

Do we really know that though? Wasn't there plans for a Season 9? I don't recall any before-season things saying this was the end until USA canceled (and in the same day a new episode was showing changed "NEW SEASON" to "FINAL SEASON," I'm still salty over that USA) the show.

It's weird, they gave White Collar (another show on USA I enjoy) a final 5-8 episodes to wrap up their story instead of outright canceling while Psych just got a curve ball cancellation, no "final episode/season" renewal or notice.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed this final episode and it's a good closing. But again: Back of my mind, I don't see this as the "true" finale they wanted since it just seems like the episode was playing for one more final closing, since like you said: Gus didn't get any extreme closure and Shawn didn't get a "real-job" or something. He just lucked into maybe competing against the other detective/"Monk" for a job while relying on Jules. Not too much maturity but some maturity.

I think the only two that got proper closure was Henry and Lassie. Lassie got what he wanted, Henry finally got his son to mature a little bit and leave Santa Barbara to where Henry could move out of the house (and give it to Lassie in a full circle cop-to-cop way).

Though I guess Juliet getting head detective (even somewhere else) is closure.

Meanwhile 38 mins of bloopers

Tamanon

Banned
I'm impressed that a show like Psych could have a consistently good and funny eight seasons. Great run of just fun TV.

It was highly implied that S8 would be the final season but there was no official announcement until just under halfway through this season. However, Maggie went ahead and auditioned for, and got, lead on another show... and if your theory was correct, they wrote out Woody, Lassie, Henry, and Buzz, only keeping Chief Vick, Jules (who would've been moved to limited guest roles had Back in the Game gotten renewed) Shawn and Gus.

That's quite a character culling.

TheSeks

That's quite a character culling.

Not like other shows haven't done that. But since Henry and Lassie would've had closure, that would've left Shawn and Gus with Chief Vick and Jules (before she got that other show) to worry about. Shawn and Jules focusing on their relationship and Shawn maturing, Gus focusing on his friendship with Shawn and maybe relaxing his "maturity" a little. Vick... well, I don't think Vick needs a closing.

(Oh and I guess Woody. But maybe Woody and the new Senior Detective/Brannigan would've gotten together?)

Anyway, hopefully that movie happens. Because again: While the episode is fine and works as a finale, I don't feel it was a "finale" finale. I really do want to see Shawn get something stable besides his relationship with Jules and Gus.

So many feels in those final few moments.

I didn't record the after show, but I noticed in this final episode that Lassie's hair was a lot grayer than it has been. I guess he stopped dyeing it?

BBboy20

RXYNLaH.jpg
Is this for real!?

I've realized that this has been my spirit show; the kind of show I would have made if I was in the TV business if I let my geekness, eccentrics, and awkwardness flow through. Despite being around for 8 years, the laughs never did stop compared to most shows so it still felt like it had some gas left. Even so there is more likely more Psych in the horizon, as something that you expect to show up every year, that is is now over now.

psychout_zps950795fd.png

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Good finale, great to see that the bromance will live on even if the show doesn't.

Will miss this show a heapppppppp.

And holy shit if that Monk stuff is for real.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
I would have enjoyed if Tony Shaloub walked out when they mentioned the other helper, but the mention was nice.

Also, what was up with Val Kilmer's voice. He sounded like they pumped him full of thorazine.

Is this for real!?

I've realized that this has been my spirit show; the kind of show I would have made if I was in the TV business if I let my geekness, eccentrics, and awkwardness flow through. Despite being around for 8 years, the laughs never did stop compared to most shows so it still felt like it had some gas left. Even so there is more likely more Psych in the horizon, as something that you expect to show up every year, that is is now over now.

psychout_zps950795fd.png

That was shown on the story sync, when they referenced monk. I hope it's not just them toying with emotions... They need to make that crossover, since they makeup for never doing it while both shows were still on

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Great finale but I'm so sad it's over. Why was it canceled? It was still hilarious.

benjipwns

Banned
I think the cast and crew were saying before season eight even got picked up that it'd be the final one?

I'd rather a movie, even a TV one, picking up a year or more down the line than trying to fit another season in even if I did like Scrubs' last one (and I get to imagine the Sirens lead is the same character), and I say this as somebody who was with it from the start and had no problems with the flanderization. You'd obviously have to do some kind of cross town team-up to bring Lassie back in.

If it was a passing of a torch from a further getting better Monk to Shaun/Gus that'd be beyond golden. The jokes about the two finding the other way too weird write themselves.

Lassie ejecting immediately was perfect.

I think Henry at the office was strongly implying he's going to take over Psych in some capacity. (And maybe knowing Gus would be leaving too.)

ASTROID2

So just watched the last episode and loved it. But I got so excited at the end where they said they already had a guy in San Fransisco that he was alphabetizing in the pantry and we all know that was Monk but they didn't show him. :(

Edit: If they make a movie it better have Monk in it too.

MooMoo

I finally caught up too and man I definitely teared up a little. Really sad to see it all be over but I thought the finale played off really well. So many feels =(

Ashhong

What was the point of the Val Kilmer joke? I feel like it's some kind of running gag that I forgot about.

And I keep rewatching the Lassie goodbye video. So good. The tears building in his eyes and then the eject. DAMN

What was the point of the Val Kilmer joke? I feel like it's some kind of running gag that I forgot about.

And I keep rewatching the Lassie goodbye video. So good. The tears building in his eyes and then the eject. DAMN

Kilmer is someone Shawn and Gus idolize and as such he's been mentioned repeatedly throughout the series. So having him on was a big deal. Similar to Billy Zane being in the Finale as well.

Guzim

Kilmer is someone Shawn and Gus idolize and as such he's been mentioned repeatedly throughout the series. So having him on was a big deal. Similar to Billy Zane being in the Finale as well.

That, and he was playing Detective Dobson who had been mentioned a lot in the show, but he was never seen until the finale.

Rokam

The reason I liked the show so much to begin with was Shawn was a lot like Kilmer's character from Real Genius.

LNBL

Oh man the feels guy, the feeeeels

Psych-gif-3.gif

Could not have wished for a better series finale! And that final scene could have been the start of a new episode, which is amazing in the sense of these bro's not breaking apart or anything.

Now that season eight is on Netflix I finally got to see it end :(

Great season overall and it was nice to see everything wrap up so nicely. Poor Gus though. Hopefully someone in SF appreciated Pluto. Time for a rewatch!

TheOddOne

- Deadline: ‘Psych’ Holiday Movie Set On USA Network With Original Cast Returning.
One of USA Network’s longest-running series, Psych, will be coming back to the network with a holiday movie . The film, from Universal Cable Productions, hails from Psych creator Steve Frank and will feature the series’ core cast led by James Roday and Dule Hill.
Lassiter (Timothy Omundson), Juliet (Maggie Lawson), Henry (Corbin Bernsen) and Chief Vick (Kirsten Nelson) will also return for the movie, which picks up three years after the series finale as the gang reunites after a mystery assailant targets one of their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom