• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Psychonauts is awesome...what is Double Fine making next?

I anticipated this game hugely for a few years, hyped it up to people, bought it the day it came out, was crushed when its future looked uncertain, was thrilled when it was picked up again by Majesco, and in the end I didn't think it was that great. The writing was mostly hilarious, the aesthetics and characters rocked, but the gameplay itself wasn't especially fun to me. I found myself wishing it were a Lucasarts style adventure, honestly, so the characters, setting and dialogue could be the main focus of the game. The platforming was unfortunately not very creative or interesting for the most part, and the emphasis put on collecting, whether technically required or not, was really annoying to me.

It's strange to me that people are saying the game gets much better after the Lungfish level. For me Lungfishopolis was the peak of the game's humor and fun game mechanics, and I didn't enjoy anything afterwards nearly as much. The Milkman Conspiracy in particular was seriously one of the worst levels I've ever played in a game. I'll never understand why people think it's so "brilliant." All you do is mindlessly search a couple dozen identical-looking houses and surrounding areas for items while growing nauseated by the spinning world around you. The dialogue was semi-funny I guess, but not worthy of being quoted months or years later, and certainly not funny enough to make up for the fact that the level is otherwise completely boring.

siege

Banned
bobbyconover said:
I anticipated this game hugely for a few years, hyped it up to people, bought it the day it came out, was crushed when its future looked uncertain, was thrilled when it was picked up again by Majesco, and in the end I didn't think it was that great. The writing was mostly hilarious, the aesthetics and characters rocked, but the gameplay itself wasn't especially fun to me. I found myself wishing it were a Lucasarts style adventure, honestly, so the characters, setting and dialogue could be the main focus of the game. The platforming was unfortunately not very creative or interesting for the most part, and the emphasis put on collecting, whether technically required or not, was really annoying to me.

It's strange to me that people are saying the game gets much better after the Lungfish level. For me Lungfishopolis was the peak of the game's humor and fun game mechanics, and I didn't enjoy anything afterwards nearly as much. The Milkman Conspiracy in particular was seriously one of the worst levels I've ever played in a game. I'll never understand why people think it's so "brilliant." All you do is mindlessly search a couple dozen identical-looking houses and surrounding areas for items while growing nauseated by the spinning world around you. The dialogue was semi-funny I guess, but not worthy of being quoted months or years later, and certainly not funny enough to make up for the fact that the level is otherwise completely boring.

I agree with everything you said. Different strokes I suppose...

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
NintendosBooger said:
Did I ever say that? If you're a struggling developer, receiving sproradic and unreliable funding from various sources, how does it benefit you to take shots, whether friendly or not, at a console and to risk offending hypersensitive fans like those of Nintendo? It would have been ill-advised to do so with XBox or PS2, as well.

If I'm broke, in need of serious money, food, and shelter, and I was walking down a street in a city with a diverse population, I'm not going to openly ridicule anyone and risk having any entire segment of that city turn their collective backs on me.

Some people just don't have any business sense.

And how many hypersensitive Nintendo fans have even heard of psychonauts, let alone would ever go to doublefine's homepage? 6? Maybe 12?

The crackpots in this thread are fucking pathetic, it was a JOKE. Not an insult, a JOKE, get the stick out of your asses and stop being such dickwads holy shit.

pj

Banned
NintendosBooger said:
Did I ever say that? If you're a struggling developer, receiving sproradic and unreliable funding from various sources, how does it benefit you to take shots, whether friendly or not, at a console and to risk offending hypersensitive fans like those of Nintendo? It would have been ill-advised to do so with XBox or PS2, as well.

They're working on a new game.. If they can release a sales bomb like psychonauts and still get the green light on a new project, they don't need to change a damn thing.

If I'm broke, in need of serious money, food, and shelter, and I was walking down a street in a city with a diverse population, I'm not going to openly ridicule anyone and risk having any entire segment of that city turn their collective backs on me.

That is so stupid. Read that to yourself and tell me you actually think what you're saying makes any sense. First of all, an entire segment wouldn't turn their backs on you, because NOBODY KNOWS WHO YOU ARE, and NOBODY KNOWS WHO DOUBLEFINE IS, and NOBODY READS THE DOUBLE FINE ACTION NEWS.

http://www.doublefine.com/news2005summer.htm#23June2005

If you're offended by that you need to get off the internet

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Schafer said:
And how many hypersensitive Nintendo fans have even heard of psychonauts, let alone would ever go to doublefine's homepage? 6? Maybe 12?

The crackpots in this thread are fucking pathetic, it was a JOKE. Not an insult, a JOKE, get the stick out of your asses and stop being such dickwads holy shit.
Just out of curiousity, how many people bought Alien Hominid for GC? I'm sure the kiddy games sell well on Cube, but there's still a pretty good sized hardcore fanbase for it that would have bought the game. That's why his joke came off as a cheap jab to some. The hardcore gamers are the ones who were interested in it, not Joe casual. I don't know, it's just seemed shitty to rub in Nintendo fans face that's all.

FoneBone

Kobun Heat said:
- I don't think they were insulting the GCN with that news post, it was just humor;
- a GameCube port really wouldn't make any sort of economic sense;
- the game wouldn't even exist if not for the Xbox;
- all that said, in some weird alternate reality where Nintendo partnered with Double Fine to produce the exact same game as a Nintendo-published GCN exclusive, it would easily have sold more copies;
- but whatever.
No, no, it's Double Fine's "fault" for "getting in bed with Microsoft" in the first place (actual fanboy argument). So many of you are fucking pathetic.

DCharlie

Banned
i'm going to say it and i know i'm going to get stones hurled at me...

but i thought Psychonauts was pretty average.

*jumps into speedboat, starts motor, realises speedboat is still tied up behind car, no forward movement, killed by angry mob*

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
I'm just glad Psychonauts is finally being released over here. Kudos to THQ for releasing it at the worst possible time.

Acosta

I bought a copy of this game first day (a USA PC version as it seems it´s not released in Europe, bravo), I have it at my backcatalog waiting for me, but I find this game one you must buy if you feel a gaming enthusiast and you are always advocating for more creativity on games, no matter ot comes with mechanics or visuals (something like that happen with Darwinia).

but i thought Psychonauts was pretty average.

I don´t know, I just have an idea about how the game is so I don´t know how good it is as a game. But do you think the visuals are "generic"?

Amir0x

Banned
bobbyconover said:

This is a great post, although I don't agree. Very insightful to see the other point of view. IMO, the "identical looking" houses was a pretty intentional representation of 1950s McCarthyism set in a burgeoning LSD-fueled suburbia. I think it had to be designed that way for this to come across, but I can understand the reservations from a gameplay point of view.

"The "joke" on their site was enough for me to avoid getting it on the PS2 or PC."

You'd think you wouldn't want to admit you got sand in your labia over it.

Speevy

Banned
Psychonauts was fantastic IMO. There's really nothing like it on the market, and that's saying quite a bit in the platformer genre.

M3wThr33

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
"The "joke" on their site was enough for me to avoid getting it on the PS2 or PC."

You'd think you wouldn't want to admit you got sand in your labia over it.

I knew it wouldn't sell terribly well, so every sale was important. I took it as a bit of pride.

From listening to these Nintendo fanboys you'd think Tim Schafer made a joke about the Holocaust or children with Down's syndrome or something.

I loved Psychonauts, and I'm not even a fan of platformers in general. The Milkman Conspiracy was BRILLIANT.

Amir0x

Banned
M3wThr33 said:
I knew it wouldn't sell terribly well, so every sale was important. I took it as a bit of pride.

You really shouldn't. Basically, you just look like a huge douche who hates fun.

Willy Wanka said:
What was the joke? was it offensive or something?

No, it was just a little fun poking at Gamecube 'cause Psychonauts wasn't coming out for it. Actually, it made fun of all the systems. Nintards are just showing their quality here.

ShowDog

Gamecube people will get over it. It's not a big deal making fun of Gamecube, it's completely true. I was a Dreamcast fanboy back in the day and I know how you feel, but you are misguided. Give it a couple years and you will see the foolishness of your ways.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
M3wThr33 said:

You probably know already...but I'd definitely consider some mental health treatment. I know it doesn't help everyone. But you seem monstrously pathetic.

I played it for a little while then moved on

while I most certainly appreciated the humor and design aesthetic of it all....in the end, the game was kinda on the overhyped (no doubt because of schafer's involvement).

While the game wasn't personally for me and as someone put, "couldn't find a place in my gaming time" (mine is very limited), I do agree though that it is kinda tragic that the game bombed as bad as it did. I remeber watching the "making of" on G4 (yeah I occasionaly watch that channel......because I hate myself) and seeing how much effort and time went into its development. They had their party at the end where they were so happy to finally see the project finished after a long dev cycle and everything. It kinda feel guilty for not buying it now.....*sniff*

Himuro said:
If you Psychonauts complainers are saying stuff like this and you haven't gotten to Lungfishopolis...ATLEAST (because this is when you start to realize the game's genius)...I don't know what to say.

Like I said man, my time is limited....in fact, very limited. First impressions mean alot...I shouldn't have to play half way through a game to realize why I'm playing it :)

but I do sympathize with your arguement...

pj325is said:
They're working on a new game.. If they can release a sales bomb like psychonauts and still get the green light on a new project, they don't need to change a damn thing.

That is so stupid. Read that to yourself and tell me you actually think what you're saying makes any sense. First of all, an entire segment wouldn't turn their backs on you, because NOBODY KNOWS WHO YOU ARE, and NOBODY KNOWS WHO DOUBLEFINE IS, and NOBODY READS THE DOUBLE FINE ACTION NEWS.

http://www.doublefine.com/news2005summer.htm#23June2005

If you're offended by that you need to get off the internet

WTF

I sure as heck missed that. Wow, that was pretty low, considering how utterly terrible the game did across the board on the PS2 and Xbox. Did he actually think the game would be a best seller? God. Overall the game would have done better if all three consoles were supported. I mean, it's a great game, and everyone should have been allowed to play it you know?

He better love the Revolution controller, because after this disaster ($11 MILLION DOLLAR BUDGET WTF) I doubt many people are going to want to pick up his tabs again.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Musashi Wins! said:
You probably know already...but I'd definitely consider some mental health treatment. I know it doesn't help everyone. But you seem monstrously pathetic.

Having now seen the joke I'm going to have to agree with you there.

pj

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
WTF

I sure as heck missed that. Wow, that was pretty low, considering how utterly terrible the game did across the board on the PS2 and Xbox. Did he actually think the game would be a best seller? God. Overall the game would have done better if all three consoles were supported. I mean, it's a great game, and everyone should have been allowed to play it you know?

He better love the Revolution controller, because after this disaster ($11 MILLION DOLLAR BUDGET WTF) I doubt many people are going to want to pick up his tabs again.

1) WHAT THE HELL IS SO OFFENSIVE ABOUT IT, IT'S A JOKE?
2) They make fun of all the consoles. PS2 is a shallow playboy, xbox is fat and immature, pc is old and irrelevant, gc is gameboob.
3) Tim didn't make the decision to not put it on GC, Majesco did
4) He's not a retard, he knew it wasn't going to outsell gta, but I'm sure he HOPED it would sell better than it did.
5) IT'S A JOKE

=W=

Holy crap, anybody that was offended by the joke or even took it remotely seriously is fucking retarded. He's even been pimping Animal Crossing and Nintendogs in recent posts.

Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with some of you?

M3wThr33

Banned
Musashi Wins! said:

It's not like I go around bitching to people about it. I'm just not going to pick up the game.

Amir0x

Banned
M3wThr33 said:
It's not like I go around bitching to people about it. I'm just not going to pick up the game.

They're all right. You're a mentally retarded fun-hating douche who no one will ever be able to take seriously again. It's one thing to try it and legitimately not like it, but to not pick up a game because he made fun of your system of choice (and he made fun of all the systems, btw)... well... there's no real accurate words for it. Except you're a fun-hating douche.

pj

Banned
=W= said:
Holy crap, anybody that was offended by the joke or even took it remotely seriously is fucking retarded. He's even been pimping Animal Crossing and Nintendogs in recent posts.

Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with some of you?

Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

But, but, HE CALLED IT GAMEBOOB, NO SALE

M3wThr33

Banned
I love you, too. I'm not the one getting worked up over this. I have a crapload of games to play, and anytime I can make an easy decision to cut one from the stack, I take it.

BuddyC

bobbyconover said:

I wish more negative posts were this well-explained.

Top Bottom