• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PT no longer downloadable in US (and EU/UK) even with license

Downloaded it today, just in time it seems. I don't think I'll be playing it, too scary, but I'll watch on as my boyfriend shits his pants.

I literally played this for the first time last Sunday for a whole 5 minutes until I got WAY to afraid, not because I didn't know what to expect but because I knew quite fucking well what happens.
Didn't delete it yet, though, and now I probably never will.

ddikxela

Holy crap. I knew the PS4 was crap at downloading off of PSN but I didn't realize it was this bad.

I used my PS4 and some PC software to monitor/sniff/acquire the URL link to P.T. I copy/pasted that link into my web browser and after the first package downloaded on my PC, I decided to d/l PT a 2nd time for good measure onto my computer. The 2nd one has finished so I booted up my PS4 which was downloading P.T in rest mode that whole time andddd... I still got to wait another half n hour for the download to finish!!!

cripterion

No worries, this being a PT thread I figured you were referring to it rather than Silent Hills. I consider PT and Silent Hills 2 seperate entities as there is no guarantee Silent Hills if it came to be would have resembled anything in PT in the slightest.

Yeah that's also true. One can dream though.

What a goddamn tease.

Chinbo37

Looks like Ill be "playing" this on Youtube.

What about if in 10 years PS4 is emulated, can we expect to see PT somehow?

Sony needs to allow gamers to save their games to external HDDs in their next update so that I can have a backup of my P.T.

You can do this now. Full system back up to external drives was part of the 2.5 update.

You can't play games from external drives, but you can definitely save your games on them.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It has nothing to do with Sony. If a publisher wants their game off the store permanently, Sony can't refuse them, its not their property.

I think you've misunderstood me. I'm not saying the game should still be up on the store; I'm saying it should still be available to those who licensed it. When Squeenix removed Order of War: Challenge from all Steam libraries because the servers being shut down rendered it functionally useless aside from the tutorial, the move was partially reversed by Valve precisely because it left some people with an empty licence.

NnScPcP.jpg

Holy shit! I put some of these auctions on my watchlist, if these prices are for real I'm selling my PS4 too.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
What the fuck? This is bigger than Konami - this shit can't happen for customers to have any faith in a digital future whatsoever. This is fucking inexcusable IMHO.

Chinbo37

What the fuck? This is bigger than Konami - this shit can't happen for customers to have any faith in a digital future whatsoever. This is fucking inexcusable IMHO.

Its just a preview of things to come. Unless things drastically change, imagine when they switch off the 360 servers. Those 360s with up to date patches of certain games are going to be very expensive IMO.

Piccoro

This is actually not the first time that a game disappears from download lists. It's been happening since the PS3 days.
I don't recall exactly what games disappeared, though...

DansDans

I see, well then I better download it. Just 1,3GB and haven't played it yet. Selling it on ebay is stupid though when it's tied to your account -.-

THIS!!!

This is what I dont get... If you are selling a PS4 with PT "pre-installed" onto it, you are selling your entire account to someone - trophies, purchase history EVERYTHING!

Even if some genius deleted everything but PT off they system, they would need to have the account that downloaded PT in the first place still on the system in order to access it - and with that comes everything

So, if I was to sell my PS4 with PT installed on it, I would probably want a few thousand for it since thats the total value of all the games I've bought with that account

Vashetti

Banned
can someone give me a link to the UK store so i can download it to my account. I tried searching,

Err.

Sorry to break it to you, but you can no longer 'buy' PT and lock a license to your account, it's gone from the store.

This thread is about people who already claimed PT and trying to redownload it from their library/download list.

Vanguard

I put some of these auctions on my watchlist, if these prices are for real I'm selling my PS4 too.

These kind of prices have been there since it was originally removed from the store, thing is they never actually sold, or if any did it was pretty rare (all the ones on my watch list never sold). I mean it could change now that it's gone from libraries as well but, part of me doesn't see that happening. If it sells it'd be just above what it's going for at retail I think.

They aren't. Who cares about listing prices, they could ask for a million euros if they want.

IDK we live in a world where people are sleeping in front of stores to buy Kanye West tennis shoes or get iPhones early. I think 500-700€ are totally realistic. People are that stupid.

Ishan

The ps4 will only rise in prices ... Jesus hope my roommate didn't delete it off his .... I might even have done it Zzz .... Time to check this ... In 2 years def 500 dollar level assuming a 300 dollar ps4 by then . And even 6 months down the line def 400 dollars even for a used ps4 with it

Arthea

The digital future sure is fun, eh? Knowing some bullshit like this *could* happen at any time with digital games is... rather shitty.

I'm pretty sure it can't happen at any time, we just need the law to catch up with digital products, but we'll get there in not so distant future, you'll see.

Konami is getting... weirder and weirder, though.

Noooooo

Have it on my download list but my PS4 is not on standby and there's nobody home to turn it on until mid afternoon GMT. I'm screwed am I not?

Shit, just checked eBay fucking scalpers are fast man, this P.T.-kojima situation is getting sadder by the day.

Fuck konami.

I guess I've never bothered to really dig into this to see how the PS4 file/account system works, but dont you have to have an active account on the PS4 download/install games? Assuming so, how would someone sell presumably stock PS4s with just PT installed without inadvertently giving access of their PSN account to the buyer? I mean, arent digital download purchases on PSN tied to specific accounts? So unless you sign into the account that downloaded it how would the game work? Sounds like a silly question but I guess ive never bothered to try playing digital games on my PS3/PS4 without signing in. And I'm away from home so cant try to do this myself right now to test it out....

Ishan

I'm pretty sure it can't happen at any time, we just need the law to catch up with digital products, but we'll get there in not so distant future, you'll see.

Essentially games as digital license are sold as a lease it's the standard software model . Gamers are essentially in the past with it and only now catching up with digital downloads .... Good luck arguing that case . It's already a lost battle . If it was paid maybe ... Maybe a case could be made but free software no way .

I guess I've never bothered to really dig into this to see how the PS4 file/account system works, but dont you have to have an active account on the PS4 download/install games? Assuming so, how would someone sell presumably stock PS4s with just PT installed without inadvertently giving access of their PSN account to the buyer? I mean, arent digital download purchases on PSN tied to specific accounts? So unless you sign into the account that downloaded it how would the game work? Sounds like a silly question but I guess ive never bothered to try playing digital games on my PS3/PS4 without signing in. And I'm away from home so cant try to do this myself right now to test it out....

You do it the same you would do gamesharing. The account that has the PT game sets the PS4 as his "home console" and all accounts on that system can use the library.
But crap you reminded me, I probably can't sell mine anyways because I have a couple of games and trophies on my account. Someone would have to pay me a lot more than 1000€ to part with my trophies.

As an IT-lawyer I can pretty much shatter your hopes that someday a law makes digital goods permanent.
With every digital purchase you have to agree to some kind of terms. Either for each purchase or in a shop enviroment. These terms are now the "law" regarding that digital product. If you read thru these terms you will find some part where it says sth like "we do not guarantee eternal access". No law in the free world can interfere with the terms you and the distributor agreed to (if it's all legal which in this P.T. case it is).
A shitstorm is the way better chance to make them change policy (see X1 DRM model)

PT systems are like the backwards compatibility PS3s of the current gen. Fewer in numbers and growing in value...?

Well, I guess time will tell on that one. More than likely this will blow over and people will eventually forget about the little demo that could.

Couldn't they just cut the video at the end of the demo? Reedus was just there in the cinematic or I'm missing something?

They probably could, but they won't.

It would take time, money, and resources (even if not very much) to do that, and we're talking about a free teaser for a cancelled project here.

Pretty much.

Remember that this is Konami we're talking abot, they'd rather just remove the teaser/demo to not have to pay anyone than leave it up and let people enjoy it for what it is...

PT systems are like the backwards compatibility PS3s of the current gen. Fewer in numbers and growing in value...?

Well, I guess time will tell on that one. More than likely this will blow over and people will eventually forget about the little demo that could.

Not everyone will forget, and among those a certain percentage will salivate at the thought of owning a system with the demo installed, and be willing to part with large sums of money in order to procure one.

I didn't delete it. Can't wait to collect three years from now before upgrading.

Really wish I'd been quicker about upgrading my hdd. I haven't been enjoying always having to delete stuff to make space for newer games, but I guess I'll get used to it.

Insert this users token fuck konami here.
Thank god I have it downloaded.
But I gotta ask GAF, I was about to upgrade to a 2TB for my PS4.
Will I lose PT?
Or is there a way to transfer it?

Mistah

At this point I'm not even interested in buying mgs 5 anymore cause of the way how konami is behaving to it's customers. Fuck you Konami

Madao

Looks like Ill be "playing" this on Youtube.

What about if in 10 years PS4 is emulated, can we expect to see PT somehow?

for that to happen, a PS4 with the demo would need to last until at least the PS4 is hacked and games can be ripped from it. at least that's given to happen before emulation and people can hold onto the file until then.

Top Bottom