• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PUBG has #1 peak population on Steam beating out Dota 2 & CSGO

Lucumo

Was just a matter of time. Is there a reason for Dota 2 not gaining more through the years ?

Game is getting worse (and not better) over the years, in my opinion at least. But looking at some threads from other veteran players, I feel like I wasn't alone when I quit playing/watching.

Vipu

Banned
All pubg has to do is offer crate drops for spectating to get a legitimate huge viewership for tournaments,.

This, if they made spectating possible ingame to look what you want and add random loot drop to viewers just like in dota, pubg would have 2mil concurrent easily.

As LOL has already shown, the casual games will always gather a larger player base than the more intricate, "hardcore" games.

What a shame

CoLaN

For those who don't understand why exactly this game has gotten this large? This is the power of twitch. Yes it's fun to play and offers unique experiences especially as a group but it's been driven by streamers. Many large variety streamers have been playing only this for months. Some move onto other games only to see the viewership drop drastically and go back. The game is a blast to watch which is why it just keeps selling. Twitch is basically a 24 hour commercial for this game and it shows.

This is the power of an accessible game that lets you play how you want as soon as you drop from the airplane. As other people said, easy to access and hard to master.
Yes, its fun to watch and streamers helped the game success, buts its a 2 ways road. The game being good is the main factor, there are many games that stays on top of twitch for a little while then drop off, or get pushed up thanks to sponsored streams and then fall off, the game has to be good to remain there.
Before twitch existed new games with the right cards still managed to get their way to the top.

At this point, the game helps streamers to get viewers more than streamers help the game to stay on the forefront of people attention. I saw streamers that usually get 60 viewers jump to 200 thanks to PUBG. Its the snowball effect, a giant snowball. Lets give the merit to developers.

you're looking at the wrong numbers. Look at the "Without Chinese viewers" stat, because Chinese numbers are fake and inflated.

i know Chinese viewer numbers are inflated to some degree.
but even without, the game is already at over 40% of the biggest Dota 2 tournament ever
it's also bigger than anything Overwatch ever did

packy34

No longer true. That small team has been replaced by MS themselves publishing for X1. I bet they they have an army on the console port now and will get it out this year no problem.

Publishing and developing are still 2 different things.

Kade

Was just a matter of time. Is there a reason for Dota 2 not gaining more through the years ?

I'm probably way wrong but from what I've noticed, Valve emphasizes the competitive community more than the casual community or the community that is interested in things other than the mechanics of the game and patch notes which is probably detrimental to growth. Valve is the worst dev when it comes to social media presence and community engagement and it shows with their view counts, retweets and whatever other social media metric there is. I think a big part of the success of things like League of Legends, Overwatch and even Paladins is stuff like the shorts, patch and hero rundown videos, social media events/campaigns that reward people with in game stuff, etc. Valve does nothing of the sort. I was really shocked to see that a tweet about a new Rainbow 6 Siege skin had more engagement than the tweets announcing the winners of TI6 or that two new heroes are coming to Dota 2. Or how the official English video has below 1 million views.

vocab

FOTM game that caught on with twitch meme culture. Easy to pick up and play. Allows greifing. Allows people to be dickheads on the mic. It's the perfect game for 2017's internet.

I personally think the game lacks an insane amount of polish in both visual and sound. It's hard to take it serious.

FOTM game that caught on with twitch meme culture.

cute story
Not like you're entirely wrong, but I think that's a reductive take that doesn't really take into account PUBG's sustained success. It's been the 'flavor of the month ' for almost half a year now and it's still growing.

Allows greifing. Allows people to be dickheads on the mic. It's the perfect game for 2017's internet.

Spot on :p

also, it's pretty fun.

This is the power of an accessible game that lets you play how you want as soon as you drop from the airplane. As other people said, easy to access and hard to master.
Yes, its fun to watch and streamers helped the game success, buts its a 2 ways road. The game being good is the main factor, there are many games that stays on top of twitch for a little while then drop off, or get pushed up thanks to sponsored streams and then fall off, the game has to be good to remain there.
Before twitch existed new games with the right cards still managed to get their way to the top.

At this point, the game helps streamers to get viewers more than streamers help the game to stay on the forefront of people attention. I saw streamers that usually get 60 viewers jump to 200 thanks to PUBG. Its the snowball effect, a giant snowball. Lets give the merit to developers.

I was never taking that away from them but the sales and growth are because of the amount of visibility twitch has given it. It's continued success it's because it's generally a really good game. These same streamers have pushed so many early access survival games to the top of the steam charts sometimes for months, They hold a lot of power. This situation is the perfect storm of big streamers and a very well made game. Like i said it's a 24 hour commercial.

Yazzees

There are only so many masochists in the world.

The games have really different markets so I don't even find the comparison interesting. I'd love to know what effect PUBG may have had on CSGO though.

Vipu

Banned
FOTM game that caught on with twitch meme culture. Easy to pick up and play. Allows greifing. Allows people to be dickheads on the mic. It's the perfect game for 2017's internet.

I personally think the game lacks an insane amount of polish in both visual and sound. It's hard to take it serious.

It lacks some polish but its still amazing game, also its still in ea (under heavy work) so its expected its not finished yet.

Still, its better than any other game released in last few years.
No matter how much marketing is done in AAA games they dont get even close because THOSE are the shallow fotm pretty games that keeps people interested just for a bit.

Head.spawn

Dota 2 averages ~550k at any time Vs PUBG's ~350k.
Dota 2's all-time peak is over 1.2M concurrent.

While PUBG is hitting higher spikes than any other game on Steam right now, it still has some way to go to take the crown from Dota 2 to be the most popular game on the platform.

At it;s current rate we can probably expect PUBG to have a concurrent as high as DOTA 2's all time peak in about a month or so.

Yazzees

Is there a team based game where you dont meet toxic players? I don't think Dota is the odd one out here

No. I wouldn't even say Dota's particularly bad about it.

High-MMR NA Heroes of Newerth was gaming's peak toxicity. To this day I wonder what the community's keyboard kill-count was.

But yeah, team game = toxicity. Team game + ranked matches for e-peen points = quadruple toxicity. Overwatch and HotS are considered comparatively very casual and I still see meltdowns and whatnot. There's no getting around it.

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider

"allows people to be dickheads on the mic."

yup such a shit game ugh i wish we could all get our money back

snap

Banned

Have you played it or even watch anyone play it?

vocab

I'm not denying it's fun. I think PUBG's highs are high when it comes all together, but its lows are so damn low. My first couple of games ended in seconds because there were no guns to pick up and dying to some guy whos fully decked out and got a gun. I mean that's a very comparable opening to something like quake, but the difference is you can stand a chance in quake with movement and a base gun, in pubg you're just fucked.

JDB

Banned
There are only so many masochists in the world.

The games have really different markets so I don't even find the comparison interesting. I'd love to know what effect PUBG may have had on CSGO though.
cb911029027ebf9e774de4f6783bd8bc.png

CS:GO has taken a significant hit since PUBG's release, but this was already the game's trajectory so it's hard to put it all on PUBG. Valve seems rather bored with CSGO and it shows.

Yeah, it might be more difficult for someone whose first game of this sort is PUBG, to gain their bearings. As someone who's played shit loads of ARMA mods I knew what to expect day one, and more importantly, how to outplay people using little tactics I picked up during my ARMA play (constant situational awareness, using terrain as cover for movement, properly gauging my visibility at all times, looting quickly and quietly, making good use of the shittiest loot and playing around the constraints of shitty loot, etc). I could see someone without that experience having a poor time with their first few matches.

Head.spawn

I'm not denying it's fun. I think PUBG's highs are high when it comes all together, but its lows are so damn low. My first couple of games ended in seconds because there were no guns to pick up and dying to some guy whos fully decked out and got a gun. I mean that's a very comparable opening to something like quake, but the difference is you can stand a chance in quake with movement and a base gun, in pubg you're just fucked.

If you're getting mobbed in the first couple seconds of landing, you probably weren't paying attention to your surroundings when you were coming down.

vocab

cb911029027ebf9e774de4f6783bd8bc.png

CS:GO has taken a significant hit since PUBG's release, but this was already the game's trajectory so it's hard to put it all on PUBG. Valve seems rather bored with CSGO and it shows.

Valve never cared about CSGO at all. It's more remarkable that the game essentially can survive without a developer. You know how many people just don't play due to cheating, and all the engine issues that have plagued the game? People ask them for source 2, and they have to think about it. If CSGO received the same love as dota 2 got, it would be the perfect game, and possibly top 1.6 once and for all.

Yazzees

There's definitely that seemingly-correlated dip in CSGO and jump in PUBG around the same time in early July. Overall though...CSGO seems to be holding on just fine. Even though they're both shooters, they're still very different experiences, with one being a highly established e-sport and the other being a continuation of the battle royale genre.

I don't get the impression that there's a lot of overlap there.

]Valve never cared about CSGO at all.[/B] It's more remarkable that the game essentially can survive without a developer. You know how many people just don't play due to cheating, and all the engine issues that have plagued the game? People ask them for source 2, and they have to think about it. If CSGO received the same love as dota 2 got, it would be the perfect game, and possibly top 1.6 once and for all.

I played it since launch and I gotta disagree. That game was genuinely awful and dead in the water before Valve got their hands on it and made it one of the greatest shooters of all time. Yes they could have done more and yes for a long while now there hasn't been much in the way of meaningful updates but to say they never cared is just silly.

Yazzees

Doters always so mad that league is more popular

The thing is that I don't think League is sufficiently more easy to break into than Dota that it'd make such a big difference anyway, and the bigger playerbase comes down more to timing and marketing. That's a whole other discussion though.

Hoo-doo

Banned

If this happens to you every time, you're just not looking where you're dropping.

You can steer the freefall and parachute for a reason. Pick a zone that's yours and get armed.

I haven't been killed in the way you mention, because I tend to adapt my landing zone to the amount of people dropping. If I want instant action, i'll drop in a hugely populated area. But like you said, it's the luck of the draw. Either you come out with 0 kills and without ever finding a gun or you kill six in a row because you managed to land straight on a S12K with extended mags.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I really have to admit, I don't get this.
What is it with this game?

What's not to get. Seriously, the concept could not be easier.

It just happens to make for the most intense gameplay i've ever experience. And playing it with friends makes it go from great to incredible. The variety is endless.

As LOL has already shown, the casual games will always gather a larger player base than the more intricate, "hardcore" games.

What a shame

If all those casuals started encroaching on your precious hardcore game, you'd complain about that too.

So many Ls being taken in this thread.

vocab

Okay, great, I'm convinced.

VALVE GIVE SOURCE 2 ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Yeah lets just ignore all the performance/networking/UI enhancements dota 2 have gotten or any of the real spectator options dota 2 has received. Don't be so dense. You said it your self "Valve cares about it as much as they need to." That's simply pathetic for any game with a healthy playerbase.

Somnia

Microsoft is publishing the game on their platform, we knew that. But source on the team getting replaced by Microsoft developers? Or about this 'army' they put on creating the port? Do you know the difference between publishing/development?

Because that just sounds like wishful thinking. Microsoft will support the team getting the game out, but thats mostly by dropping in a big sack of money most likely. I haven't head about the porting team staffing up or being replaced?

I can't comment on team size, but the team didn't get replaced that's for sure.

However they did state MS is helping development and providing their resources to help develop it for xbox. It's more than just publishing.

What a shame
I desperately want to know what you're talking about.

There's -one- more 'hardcore' alternative to PUBG. That's modded ARMA III. Don't even have to explain why the 'casual' game has a larger player base than the 'hardcore' one, there.

Randam

What's not to get. Seriously, the concept could not be easier.

It just happens to make for the most intense gameplay i've ever experience. And playing it with friends makes it go from great to incredible. The variety is endless.
I get that the game is good, but I don't see what makes it the new holy grail of gaming.

nashman

Publishing and developing are still 2 different things.

Its not just publishing.

As an expansion of that plans announced during E3, the "collaboration will help Bluehole accelerate console development while maintaining quality across platforms and provide resources ranging from technical to sales and marketing," according to Microsoft.

For all the love and care Valve puts into Dota, Dota 2 over the past year on Steamcharts is trending downwards. CSGO has stayed the same with a slight rise in the middle.

Valve being 100% focused on CSGO doesn't mean it would be a good thing. The game is fine as it is outside of stupid ass complaints people have like Source 2, panorama ui and casual 5v5.

The one and only thing they need to worry about is how to deal with cheating. Considering people still cheat on ESEA and it's a million times more invasive than VAC could ever be, there's really nothing they can do.

Top Bottom