• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PUBG has #1 peak population on Steam beating out Dota 2 & CSGO

So can anyone joking about Valve making clone soon even put it into words why PUBG is such huge hit in its current state of development? Even PU can't explain it when asked and just says "I'm just making game I want to play" and that is go-to answer of any developer.

I think it's great to make funny, but it kinda blows my mind that no one can really grasp this thing and explain it why PUBG is pushing these numbers on PC.
Check these articles out
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/20...grounds-is-easy-in-ways-other-games-are-hard/
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/07/25/the-tactics-and-tension-of-playerunknowns-battlegrounds/

In sum and substance:
- The player can modulate the difficulty and their playstyle through gameplay alone, no ranks, unlocks, or separate modes needed. Everything from when you leave the plane to what you do on the ground is customized difficulty based on how you want to play and your skill level
- Want to be stealthy and hide? Be in the thick of the action? Work with others? Be a solo sniper? You can do all that.
- Everything you do has a sense of purpose and strategy, even doing nothing. Hiding and avoiding combat is as thrilling and tense as being in the midst of shootout, while also allowing for strategy (where do I hide? Do I wait in ambush? Shit, are those footsteps downstairs? Do I leave the door open or closed? Etc).
- This wide spectrum of freedom allows for players of any skill level to jump in and enjoy. It also allows for anyone to have thrilling and intense stories, because even if you want to avoid combat, you have to worry about relocating, being stealthy, watching for other players, and so on.
- The gameplay is tactical enough without being Arma and fast and simple enough without being a CoD. A nice balance between sim and arcadey fun

Hoo-doo

Banned
Is this just going to be a daily thread at this point?

How often does a game get this big, with this much players?

Like it or not, but its huge news and it deserves every thread.

Already mentioned but worth mentioning again, I sold my ps4 + vita 64gb to get a X1X + PUBG on launch day.

Never has a single game been a system seller to me before.

Also first time I will have to cave in and buy xbox live / ps + ............

That's assuming the game is actually out on Xbox this year. Which I doubt.
Playerunknown himself stated that he's not commenting on the release date and that there's only a small team working on it. So don't be surprised if it takes a bit longer.

Already mentioned but worth mentioning again, I sold my ps4 + vita 64gb to get a X1X + PUBG on launch day.

Never has a single game been a system seller to me before.

Also first time I will have to cave in and buy xbox live / ps + ............

Hylian7

Is this just going to be a daily thread at this point?

You don't really see a game every day that exploded and beat out Dota 2 in concurrent players on Steam. It's a huge achievement for the game.

I think most of what's attributed to PUBG's success was word of mouth, and of course streamers, which can effectively be word of mouth. I know a lot of friends that got into it because people said "Hey, this game is pretty cool", and they gave in and got it and here we are. It also being a simple concept, but tons of depth and unpredictability make it attractive. While this game does not do the thing DayZ or other open world survival games try to do, it does condense the feeling of some of the best aspects of those games.

Also being the "final" iteration of this by PlayerUnknown probably helped. PlayerUnknown was already a household name as he kind of pioneered the genre. This started with DayZ Battle Royale in Arma 2, then Arma 3 Battle Royale, then H1Z1 Battle Royale (now King of the Kill, but PU worked on it at the start), and of course PUBG now. The thing about the previous 3 iterations is they were all part of some other game rather than standalone. Although H1Z1's didn't become standalone until about a year or two ago.

Clearos

Great to see PUBG doing so well.

Not a main factor but I think a big plus too is that unless you do an auto-match squad there is little to no toxicity as any in voice chat is gone with a simple Ctrl+T.

Granted hearing a distance "Pickle Ricckk!!!" as a guy chargers you with a frying pan is priceless.

tesqui

imagine being this mad that a game is successful

I'm not mad at all. I like the game as much as anyone else, but i just think it's a bit excessive to post a new thread updating the games position on the Steam Stats chart every couple hours.

Hylian7

Great to see PUBG doing so well.

Not a main factor but I think a big plus too is that unless you do an auto-match squad there is little to no toxicity as any in voice chat is gone with a simple Ctrl+T.

Granted hearing a distance "Pickle Ricckk!!!" as a guy chargers you with a frying pan is priceless.

I always just mute voice chat in the waiting room and the plan, and then unmute when I jump out.

If teams aren't actually having their voice chat set on "team only", you can hear them talking to each other, lol.

Somnia

Playerunknown himself stated that he's not commenting on the release date and that there's only a small team working on it. So don't be surprised if it takes a bit longer.

That was before the announcement of the MS publishing deal and the development support they are now getting directly from MS. It will 100% be out on game preview before 2018 imo.

Check these articles out
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/20...grounds-is-easy-in-ways-other-games-are-hard/
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/07/25/the-tactics-and-tension-of-playerunknowns-battlegrounds/

In sum and substance:
- The player can modulate the difficulty and their playstyle through gameplay alone, no ranks, unlocks, or separate modes needed. Everything from when you leave the plane to what you do on the ground is customized difficulty based on how you want to play and your skill level
- Want to be stealthy and hide? Be in the thick of the action? Work with others? Be a solo sniper? You can do all that.
- Everything you do has a sense of purpose and strategy, even doing nothing. Hiding and avoiding combat is as thrilling and tense as being in the midst of shootout, while also allowing for strategy (where do I hide? Do I wait in ambush? Shit, are those footsteps downstairs? Do I leave the door open or closed? Etc).
- This wide spectrum of freedom allows for players of any skill level to jump in and enjoy. It also allows for anyone to have thrilling and intense stories, because even if you want to avoid combat, you have to worry about relocating, being stealthy, watching for other players, and so on.
- The gameplay is tactical enough without being Arma and fast and simple enough without being a CoD. A nice balance between sim and arcadey fun

Yeah this sums it up. Lots of people I know play to shoot folks but for me the game is basically hide and seek, and it's still incredibly fun to find the perfect corner to set up in and decide when and where to move next

No reasonable person is frustrated with the idea of the bolded. Undertale was GotY for many in 2015.

As for the Early Access part, sure. And I actually think that's reasonable. I doubt many sites will even put PUBG up for consideration if it doesn't leave Early Access this year. Does GAF allow Early Access titles to be nominated? (Edit - I checked and the answer is no) Fortunately, they're aiming for it to become a full product by the fall.

No reasonable person was frustrated with the idea of the bolded.
There were still plenty of people frustrated with the idea of the bolded, however.

PUBG is a PC game and many elements of its design are more palatable to PC gamers. It's an MP-only semi-realistic BR game. It's very much the kind of thing that many console gamers responded to with a "well what's so special about THIS? no story, no plot, just multiplayer?"

Check these articles out

In sum and substance:

All of that plus:
- 100 player matches that you load into immediately every single time. The matchmaking is insane in this game, helps that the community is growing so much.
- And the "encroaching" circle gameplay making sure rounds never go on for too long.

new PC game is breaking records constantly and is displaying absolutely shocking momentum:

"YAWN, uninteresting. Why a new thread??? It's just a fuckin' PC game

Call me up when the next Uncharted does expected numbers. THEN we can celebrate all night with pages full of fun and gifs."

nashman

How often does a game get this big, with this much players?

Like it or not, but its huge news and it deserves every thread.

No longer true. That small team has been replaced by MS themselves publishing for X1. I bet they they have an army on the console port now and will get it out this year no problem.

Qassim

Still is a ways off beating Dota 2's all peak concurrent numbers, but it has surpassed CSGO's.

CS has always been a less accessible, less forgiving game - but it's still unbelievable to see PUBG beat CSGO's all time peak record (which was set during a major tournament).

Check these articles out

In sum and substance:
On top of these, despite being an Early Access indie game with plenty of bugs right now, it still beats out other similar games in production value, with better animation, weapon variety, handling and sound design.

Never thought I'd see the day of something non valve especially an early access indie game taking that first spot. I knew ever since King of The Kill was getting 100k plus that this sub genre was going to blow up but never expected it to be this much.

For those who don't understand why exactly this game has gotten this large? This is the power of twitch. Yes it's fun to play and offers unique experiences especially as a group but it's been driven by streamers. Many large variety streamers have been playing only this for months. Some move onto other games only to see the viewership drop drastically and go back. The game is a blast to watch which is why it just keeps selling. Twitch is basically a 24 hour commercial for this game and it shows.

Not sure if sarcasm, but yes, 100% agreed.

Hell, we should have a new thread for every PS4 sold.
Totally sarcasm :eek:

but, like, why, man? We had threads like this when GTA V was making the rounds, back when everyone already knew it was gonna be the biggest AAA game ever.

PUBG (and its success) is interesting for the reasons I and other people have highlighted in this thread and others. We aren't having a thread for 'every copy of PUBG sold', we're having threads for a breakout success while watching its fascinating momentum. Those who are so bothered by that concept that they feel a need to comment on it, bitch about it? More often than not I get the feeling that those people are simply bothered that there's so much discussion occurring centering around a multiplayer-only PC game that millions of people love. Instead of the AAA console games, that are the real great games, and the only ones worthy of constant, sustained discussion

PUBG has also no ragequitters problem LMAO.
Well that's just because how the game is designed. You die, you're done. Quitting after the fact doesn't change anything.

I guess if someone was cornered they could just quit but that doesn't rob anyone else of anything.

antitrop

For those who don't understand why exactly this game has gotten this large? This is the power of twitch. Yes it's fun to play and offers unique experiences especially as a group but it's been driven by streamers. Many large variety streamers have been playing only this for months. Some move onto other games only to see the viewership drop drastically and go back. The game is a blast to watch which is why it just keeps selling. Twitch is basically a 24 hour commercial for this game and it shows.

Yup.

pZiatEX.png

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Thing I love about PUBG is it's all on me, no random fucker can decide to throw on purpose or quit mid game which is what happened all the time in Overwatch which is why I quit that game. I love jumping into solo PUBG and playing how I want and only I decide if I win or lose, I find I get a lot less angry in this game because if it's my bad it's my bad, I can handle that.

Jawmuncher

Well that's just because how the game is designed. You die, you're done. Quitting after the fact doesn't change anything.

I guess if someone was cornered they could just quit but that doesn't rob anyone else of anything.

Do they still drop their gear if they quit? If not I guess you get robbed of good gear. Though if someone quits I doubt they had any good gear to begin with so yeah you're right it basically amounts to nothing.

Do they still drop their gear if they quit? If not I guess you get robbed of good gear. Though if someone quits I doubt they had any good gear to begin with so yeah you're right it basically amounts to nothing.

I think you're left in the state you left the match in.

Left running west? You're running west.
Left standing still? You're standing there.

and so on. Not sure. That's my experience from watching friends crash out during games early in PUBG's life.

So if somebody is hiding in a building, and they quit, I can pretty much go up there and shoot their unmoving faces and take all their shit.

Aters

You quit, your character still stay on the map as AFKs. People can kill you to get a kill and all your gears. If you really have to quit, throw a grenade next to your feet, at least this way people are not getting a free kill.

Jawmuncher

I think you're left in the state you left the match in.

Left running west? You're running west.
Left standing still? You're standing there.

and so on. Not sure. That's my experience from watching friends crash out during games early in PUBG's life.

So if somebody is hiding in a building, and they quit, I can pretty much go up there and shoot their unmoving faces and take all their shit.

You quit, your character still stay on the map as AFKs. People can kill you to get a kill and all your gears. If you really have to quit, throw a grenade next to your feet, at least this way people are not getting a free kill.

Ahh ok. That's a pretty interesting way to go about things.
Didn't even think that would be the case.

Hoo-doo

Banned
No longer true. That small team has been replaced by MS themselves publishing for X1. I bet they they have an army on the console port now and will get it out this year no problem.

Microsoft is publishing the game on their platform, we knew that. But source on the team getting replaced by Microsoft developers? Or about this 'army' they put on creating the port? Do you know the difference between publishing/development?

Because that just sounds like wishful thinking. Microsoft will support the team getting the game out, but thats mostly by dropping in a big sack of money most likely. I haven't head about the porting team staffing up or being replaced?

Ivan 3414

new PC game is breaking records constantly and is displaying absolutely shocking momentum:

"YAWN, uninteresting. Why a new thread??? It's just a fuckin' PC game

Call me up when the next Uncharted does expected numbers. THEN we can celebrate all night with pages full of fun and gifs."

lmao.

Top Bottom