• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Putin visits France for talks; Macron does not give an inch, calls out Russian media

This. International summits, meetings with foreign leaders, etc. are basically the bonus stages of politics: There's a relatively low risk of pissing off your voters at home and you just try to score as many points as possible. And being up against a moron like Trump helps with the point-scoring, of course.

Let's see him tackle domestic politics before we reach a conclusion. Reforming labor legislation will be the big test, I guess.

Reminds me of Chirac

cakely

Impressive.

In our country, our Russian puppet invites representatives of the Russian government into the White House and shows off to them by giving out confidential information.

It's payment for influencing the election.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I can understand liking him, but on every subjects seems to be a bit excessive in my opinion.

You do you though.
I don't know, every time he speaks, without notes, it ends up like this: https://twitter.com/operaandthecity/status/863089224207273984.

Hear him talk about Les Chouans, Jeanne d'Arc, De Gaulle, etc. He's a politician with economic aptitudes talking like an historian with a communicative passion.

This man speaks to me like few men before. I always dreamt about having our own Obama in France and never expected Macron to fill this place.

sphinx

the piano man
Macron has made a great first impression on the world stage.

absolutely,

the guy is young, smart, has balls, he's got the looks, the style and does not give a single shit about people's opinions regarding the age gap in his relationship.

MrKaepora

I don't get how Russia is being made out to be this huge threat to the west. They have a tiny economy, Syria is their only ally and they lead no coalitions. The government there is just a sneaky rat and they have nukes from the Soviet eta so it's easy to make them appear more powerful than they are.

Division in the west are real but it is because of us, not them.
Never underestimate a country with so many chess masters.

Russia may look weak but they are a rough bone to chew.

I don't get how Russia is being made out to be this huge threat to the west. They have a tiny economy, Syria is their only ally and they lead no coalitions. The government there is just a sneaky rat and they have nukes from the Soviet eta so it's easy to make them appear more powerful than they are.

Their economy is weak, but they have a very huge intelligence operation that includes tons of fake news operations and they have the backing of every white nationalist across the globe.

Wasn't there an article about how Putin kinda overplayed his hand with the email hacks on the eve of the election. Macron didn't really have much opinion on foreign policy, but the blatant attempts by Russia has basically made an enemy out of someone that could have simply been neutral.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't follow or understand the French politicians/stances that well.

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
It was like Hugh Grant going HAM on Billy Bob Thornton in Love, Actually!

mreddie

If only

tumblr_inline_nasjvb5Nhf1ripk8s.gif

commedieu

Banned
https://twitter.com/B3infos/status/869225360168067072

Here is that exchange where he accused the Russian news outlets to be propaganda arms.

Blocked in the usa.

:/

Can people do one simple thing, please. Separate crooked billionaire Russians from the government?

Putin and Co have a ton of money literally, and figuratively. The people? Not so much.
His #2 guy lives in some giant villa.

leroidys

This is a nice story, but none of these things are actually true.

Ugh, a far-right leader VS a neo-liberal one, what a pile of shit of presidents we have in the world right now.

Purity tests for politicians are unproductive and get us nowhere.

I mean you seriously can't compare Macron to Putin especially if you read the OP and what Macron was calling Putin and Russia out for.

Elandyll

Banned
Macron has been outstanding lately.

He is shaping up to become a very important figure for the world.
Trudeau- Merckel- Macron seem like a decent start to reboot Western Democracies in the 21st.

Hopefully the US don't fuck it up again in 2020.

Ugh, a far-right leader VS a neo-liberal one, what a pile of shit of presidents we have in the world right now.

I know , we totally need a Maduro instead of a left leaning (certainly, by US standards) centrist, right?

We technically haven't had a real President in the USA since January19th, but it feels like it was decades ago thanks to Trump.

Glad to see France got a REAL MAN who stands up to Russia's evil meddling.

Alx

Well this one won't be invited for some vodka like Sarkozy
Rumor has it that when Sarkozy seemed confused after a private meeting with Putin, it wasn't because of the vodka but of thinly veiled threats that he received during that discussion.

sphinx

the piano man
Go to Germany... Germans don't let you try to speak shitty German to them, they just reply in english :p

they are so proper and throughtful that they'll let you try to speak broken as fuck german until it's impossible to hold a conversation and then proceed to ask if you speak any of the 2 or 3 languages they learn in school.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I have no idea how he is seen otherwise, but it's good to see one leader with balls and willingness to criticise.

See, this is the kind of mindset that led to Trump being elected, so perspective certainly matters.

avaya

Not surprised to be honest, always came across as a very straight bloke. Hope he keeps it up and things go his way on the 6th.

I don't know, every time he speaks, without notes, it ends up like this: https://twitter.com/operaandthecity/status/863089224207273984.

Hear him talk about Les Chouans, Jeanne d'Arc, De Gaulle, etc. He's a politician with economic aptitudes talking like an historian with a communicative passion.

This man speaks to me like few men before. I always dreamt about having our own Obama in France and never expected Macron to fill this place.

Sadly, that type of answer would be seen as a big negative in the US. His opponent would pounce on it as proof that he's out of touch with the common man.

Top Bottom