• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Edition announced for 3DS

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Do I understand this correct, this is basically Zoo Keeper with a Mario skin (don't know the original and my mobile phone runs nothing but Snake)?

???

The first retail game sold over a million and was a monster on mobile, but you seem to be putting it on the level of Monster Hunter/Dragon Quest. It's a step below Yokai Watch in sales as well. It's big, but it's odd to say that calling it big is underselling it.

Going only by the retail sales is crazy.

I didn't say that the retail game dominated the charts or that this game will be the biggest thing ever, just that P&D is more than just "big" in Japan.

casiopao

Ohhh boy, this is opening so much opportunity for all mobile combination game lol.

Fire Emblem Frontier(Fire EmblemXBrave Frontier)
Clash of Wars(Clash of Clans X Advance War)
Pocket Striker(PokemonXMonster Striker)

Any other big idea guys?

Ninty must not miss this chance here lol.

oti

Banned
Ohhh boy, this is opening so much opportunity for all mobile combination game lol.

Any other big idea guys?

Shigeru Miyamoto: Kyoto

Do I understand this correct, this is basically Zoo Keeper with a Mario skin (don't know the original and my mobile phone runs nothing but Snake)?
In PAD, you can move an orb multiple spaces per turn (while displacing adjacent orbs) to make matches in a set amount of time. This allows many more options than most "match 3" puzzle games. Match a color that is represented on your team and the corresponding characters will attack. Higher combo counts lead to more damage and if you satisfy certain requirements (depending on the team leader), you can achieve damage multipliers.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=B9hnjV3C8Nw is an example of the gameplay.

Zolbrod

In PAD, you can move an orb multiple spaces per turn (while displacing adjacent orbs) to make matches in a set amount of time. This allows many more options than most "match 3" puzzle games. Match a color that is represented on your team and the corresponding characters will attack. Higher combo counts lead to more damage and if you satisfy certain requirements (depending on the team leader), you can achieve damage multipliers.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=B9hnjV3C8Nw is an example of the gameplay.

This.

There are SO many mindless "match 3" clones out there, but P&D actually has a really clever and original twist on the formula that adds a LOT of strategy.

It's pretty much my favorite match 3 game out there, although Puzzle Quest was also cool.

deleted

Is this like Puzzle Quest?

NSMB / Mario Party is my least favorite Mario aesthetic though. To aggressively cute.

Really, REALLY Pissed off right now. All these *actually decent* mobile puzzle games, Puzzdra, Terra Battle, etc, STILL after almost a YEAR haven't come out in Australia. Fucking seriously, why the hell can't they just straight up port over the english version?!

This should be called Puzzle & Koopas.

I feel like I've been living under a rock, 'cause I've got no idea what Puzzle & Dragons is, let alone that it's apparently ultra mega popular, to the point where this game is a sales' monster in the making. I'm glad for more 3DS announcements though! And if it performs as well as people predict in this thread, hey, glad to see Ninty out of red numbers, never to return.

Also this.

This is coming out of the blue. It's certainly going to sell a lot in Japan.

I have no idea why it's taking so long for franchises like Puzzle & Dragons or Yokai Watch to get localized on 3DS.

Kouriozan

Ok, this one NEEDS to be localized, if GungHo can't, do it Nintendo.
Edit : YES!
Was so hyped, didn't read the rest of the thread.

I like Smash and Mario Kart Wii U Mario with Galaxy Mario and 3D World Mario being okay.

My favorites are still Super Mario 64 era Render Mario for 3D and SMW Mario for 2D.
Mario Kart is def in the standard Mario look. Smash not as much, but it's definitely closer now in the Wii U/3DS era. This will be the uniform appearance for Mario for quite a while, so you might want to try and come to terms with it.

The SM64 and SMW days aren't coming back, except through ports and oddities like Mario Maker.

Robin64

Any other big idea guys?

Captain Toad x Monument Valley

Noaloha

A little gif to show how PAD differs from a standard match-3.

iIA4wbbx7kZJj.gif

It's neat and, I'd argue, the actual skill ceiling that comes from having a few seconds to fully manipulate the whole board (stuff such as pattern recognition, utilising board clear combos, orb management) is skyhigh, Neo-seeing-the-Matrix type stuff. It's definitely a puzzle game that you can "get good at" by a notable amount.

_Clash_

Seems like a smart and sensible business decision. And a nice treat for fans.

Does it de value the mario IP?

IMO probably not, as long as it's a sometimes occurrence that really attempts to go viral. And from what I understand PaD is exactly that. So, sales talk basically.

I think Hyrule Warriors is more questionable than this. And that turned out OK.

deleted

Mario Kart is def in the standard Mario look. Smash not as much, but it's definitely closer now in the Wii U/3DS era. This will be the uniform appearance for Mario for quite a while, so you might want to try and come to terms with it.

The SM64 and SMW days aren't coming back, except through ports and oddities like Mario Maker.

Mario Kart Wii U is not the Party, NSMB Render - there are differences in expressions, details and shadows.
I've come to terms with that part by now, but it's a development that startet after Luigi's Mansion on the GCN and hasn't stopped ever since with the exceptions of the Smash games (and Strikers Charged, but that's way more niche).

And I'd be fine with the most recent Smash render being the standard. It's the kind of evolution I expected 10-15 years ago.

Doesn't mean I have to like it though. Mario was always portrayed vastly different over different generations and iterations and I hope they'll get back to that at one point.

Mario Kart Wii U is not the Party, NSMB Render - there are differences in expressions, details and shadows.
I've come to terms with that part by now, but it's a development that startet after Luigi's Mansion on the GCN and hasn't stopped ever since with the exceptions of the Smash games (and Strikers Charged, but that's way more niche).

And I'd be fine with the most recent Smash render being the standard. It's the kind of evolution I expected 10-15 years ago.

Doesn't mean I have to like it though. Mario was always portrayed vastly different over different generations and iterations and I hope they'll get back to that at one point.
The Kart models have more detailing, but the general aesthetic is the same. (The twee factor has been toned down a bit though.) But the fact that the in-game look matches how they promote Mario outside of the games themselves means that I don't imagine any major shifts for a long time. Of course there will be outliers and spin-offs, but I think Nintendo has achieved the standard look for Mario and Co. that they've been striving towards for such a long time, that I can't see them abandoning that now.

MicH

Oh this is pretty interesting, but I hit sucked down that PAD whole once and it was costly. This will probably have micro transactions too

Holy shit at the asset reuse of this. Even the boxart is a old as hell reders reuse. Just look at freaking Bowser. An its the NSMB/mario party one that looks bad now compraed to the mario kart 8, mainline 3d mario series.

If this doesnt have IAP maybe its and interesting title, although ive played lots of hours with the doctor who game that is a copy of puzzle and dragons and even with very little IAP for gameplay I was bored at the end because it felt like a job playing it instead of being a game, like the majority of iphone games with this type of structure.

Aeana

so it's just a F2P puzzle game with 4,000yen to pay for using Mario characters instead of fighting dragons?

No. The 3DS games have a whole scaffolding around the puzzle game that isn't present in the phone game. Puzzles & Dragons Z blew it up to be kind of like a Pokemon game, for instance, including all of the town interactions and such, and an overall goal.

I'm liking the new Nintendo. I'm not a big fan of Nintendo overusing their brands instead of making new IPs, but this feels more natural - like they are expanding their IPs into realms they don't typically explore. Amiibo, a movie, crossovers...

Definitely buying it. Seems like an odd move, but I guess partnering with iOS developers is a good move on Nintendo's front.

Maid

Banned
Okay so it's a smartphone game. Doesn't sound too hot.

It's one of those better mobile game, where it punishes you hard for going blindly with deep and kinda complicated mechanic. The good thing is I haven't payed a single cent and I can beat most of the game's content. Just remember that you have to adapt to whatever you have, not whatever you want. Otherwise, become a whale.

DizzyCrow

Is this the way Nintendo will guarantee mobile support for the next platform? What other good mobile games could get Nintendo crossovers?

Man if this strips away the stamina and mandatory online connection stuff, this is actually awesome. P&D is a good game that's kind of strangled by FtP trappings.

Top Bottom