• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puzzle & Dragons Z + Super Mario Bros. Edition |OT| The Princess's Secret Orb Slide

Radnom

I played the demo for this a few times, but every time I got up to the "Normal" stages, it crashed my 3DS - a message on a black screen showed up saying that I needed to restart my 3DS immediately.

Also, it seems that the puzzle portion of the game, on the lower screen, ran at a pretty poor frame rate... I'd expect a puzzle game to be incredibly smooth, especially when just dragging pieces around without any effects. But it looked like it was running at 30fps or lower. Not a dealbreaker on a puzzle game, but it just looks and feels off.

Did anyone else have those experiences?

Kinsei

Banned
Ah. Good idea. Thanks.

Edit: It won't let me activate that power...

The power is based on the number of turns you've done in that dungeon. Keep throwing your turns in the first fight (heal when necessary) until it's available for use.

Dryk

I played the demo on my commute this morning and enjoyed it. I'd probably pick it up if it wasn't a) Coming out on a Saturday I have to be at home and b) Coming out a week before STEAM. I'll definitely play it at some point though.

Kouriozan

Well, OSing me wasn't enough apparently.

A0xfi2O.jpg

pronk420

are the mechanics somehow different to the mobile version? I remember someone saying when P&DZ came out in Japan that it was somehow less deep than the mobile version (possibly it was on the 8-4 play bombcast). The mechanics seem exactly the same to me, but I noticed Mario & Dragons or whatever its called says 'play with the original gameplay' or something on the game selection screen, whereas P&DZ doesn't.

Kouriozan

The only gameplay change I can think of is your allies getting exp by defeating monsters and not only by fusing other monsters.

Also, reached World 4
water world
and it's definitely easier with Tanooki Mario and Fox Luigi combo, I might need to start building teams earlier than I expected.

Xater

Is fusing still a thing? So far I can only hatch and advance with the puzzle pieces.

Talking P&D Z here.

Weird how EU keeps getting stuff a couple weeks before US. Hope everyone's enjoying it!
Why did I think it was called Puzzle and Dragons Zaiba?

Started with the Mario Edition.
I am having fun, but the reviewers are right in that it feels odd using Bowser minions to fight Bowser minions.
Gung-ho should work with Game Freak to make Puzzle & Dragons: Pokemon Edition.

seady

As a PAD veteran, the Mario demo feels very slow compare to the mobile game. Something about it feels different to me. Maybe because this uses stylus instead of finger.

I hope people go play the mobile game after trying this if they haven't. The mobile game has so much depth and so many characters and skills that allow many play style.

It sucks to have P-Wings and cannot use it yet.
My only negative is all the forced tutorials. Seems Nintendo loves it!

Edit: I like the secret exit idea!

daydream

Banned
As a PAD veteran, the Mario demo feels very slow compare to the mobile game. Something about it feels different to me. Maybe because this uses stylus instead of finger.

You can change the battle speed to Fast, fwiw. But yeah, at least Mario Bros. Edition probably won't mirror the complexity you're used to (although it's not terribly simplified, by any means). This is mostly the ideal package for newcomers or people who were put off by the F2P nature of the mobile game.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

I hope people go play the mobile game after trying this if they haven't. The mobile game has so much depth and so many characters and skills that allow many play style.
Why would you expect the demo of the Mario edition to offer the same depth as the regular PaD endgame? That's like judging a Mario Jump n Runs difficulty after having finished stage 1-1 heh.

Kouriozan

Played the mobile version for a long time (I'd say 50 hours including the 10 hours re-rolling), got stuck, had to grind for weeks and I was still stuck so I gave up.

magnetic

The story and characters in PDZ are generic as hell, but the music is really good so far. The environments and enemies look great as well, the animation style reminds me a lot of the Dragon Quest DS ports.

Xater

Well the girl is not Bianca, so good.
Edit: Also to confirm SMB Edition is slower than Z. Z is same speed as mobile.

You know what maybe I'll switch to the SMB version then and finish that first. The speed change to slower might annoy me otherwise.

ZeroAKA

Downloading the game now with pre-load in the NoA eShop. This is the first retail game I've bought in the eShop. :D

Yeah I think I am going to complete the SMB Edition first since Z is more in-depth.
Think Z is the better game though from what I played.

AerialAir

Banned
So, I had this game pre-ordered and amazon has not sent it yet, and I don't think they'll send it this week, bullocks. Anyway, for all of you who have played it, which version is easier and which one seems to take longer to complete? I wanna see what should be the one I start with.

So, I had this game pre-ordered and amazon has not sent it yet, and I don't think they'll send it this week, bullocks. Anyway, for all of you who have played it, which version is easier and which one seems to take longer to complete? I wanna see what should be the one I start with.

One review I read said that the mario edition was more frustrating and cheap, but you can brute force your way through because there are lives. Z seems to be longer and more balanced difficulty,

cw_sasuke

Mario PaD is great - especially if its your first time.

Unlocked Ghost Mario/Luigi earlier...finally. Played a bit of PaD Z as well but its an older game anyway ans probably quite a bit longer so i will focus on Mario right now.

Best combo so far 17, highest dmg 170k (both pre Ghost Mario though).

PS. Wish you could skip the dialogue in PaD Z, just too much BS. Also wish there was a function to get back to the main hub to select Mario Bros Edition from PaD Z.

guddog

Neo Member
No man, too much. If I played the demo and was ok with why do I need t oplay a more tutorial thing?

cw_sasuke

No man, too much. If I played the demo and was ok with why do I need t oplay a more tutorial thing?
Because not everyone who buys the game played the demo before and the tutorial stages take less than 5 minutes? xD

quabba

Mario PaD is great - especially if its your first time.

Also wish there was a function to get back to the main hub to select Mario Bros Edition from PaD Z.

You can. Select save and return to title.screen and then there's an up arrow on the title screen that brings you back to select game screen.

My first time playing any PaD because the f2p version didn't release in Australia, my brain isn't used to the way the orbs move around, Im enjoying it so far.

daydream

Banned
At World 4 now. The diffulty definitely ramped up significantly in World 3.

Also still looking for a minion that produces dark orbs via ability for that mansion route in World 3. Edit: nm, Boo takes care of that

magnetic

I like the treasure chest idea, a nice break from the constant battles,same with the branching paths.

And boy, some quality tracks already - the music in the mines in the first world with the cool bassline and bell synths sounds like straight out of a Puyo Puyo game!

Top Bottom