• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

QD, ThatGamecompany games all are now not exclusives on PS hardware. whats next?

people are saying Sony is helping out QD by doing this. and how are they really? they just recently did this with thatgamecompany games as well. journey and flower. my question to you is? whats next. this isn't the end of it certainly. and you will see more playstation exclusives going to pc. at minimum imo your gonna see a continuation of non-first-party developed exclusives go to PC as well.

well this certainly puts me in a position to not buy the console and instead play whatever games they put on PC. I can't really justify buying a console. paying premium on games on console. and having worse performance and pay online. just to play the 2-3 first party games they put out every year

this is definitely not hurting anyone. but this is definitely not the way to preserve console gaming. first microsoft and now playstation am personally all for the support of consoles existing. first cloud gaming, now these platforms are becoming just proprietery pieces of hardware that you can't use for anything but play games that you can just play on your computer

my question to you is. why bother buying a console?

Last edited:

Stuart360

Well i went PC only before this gen, but there are a lot of people who dont want to game on PC, cant afford a gaming PC, or wouldnt know how to game on PC.
There will always be console only gamers, and thats who the consoles will always be for. Microsoft and Sony make very little money from actual console sales, its all about game sales, licenses, and services etc. If you buy a Xbox or Playstation game on console or PC, Microsoft and Sony dont care, its still money to them.

brap

Banned
So I don't have to wait 9 years to play Heavy Rain? 6 years to play Beyond? 7 years to play Journey? 10 years to play Flower? What kind of question is that? These are all old games. Except Detroit.

Last edited:
So I don't have to wait 9 years to play Heavy Rain? 6 years to play Beyond? 7 years to play Journey? 10 years to play Flower? What kind of question is that? These are all old games. Except Detroit.

well. just like I said. this is just the start. that game company, then QD. why would they even bother to do this if they are gonna stop there

and like you said. Detroit is a new game.
Well i went PC only before this gen, but there are a lot of people who dont want to game on PC, cant afford a gaming PC, or wouldnt know how to game on PC.
There will always be console only gamers, and thats who the consoles will always be for. Microsoft and Sony make very little money from actual console sales, its all about game sales, licenses, and services etc. If you buy a Xbox or Playstation game on console or PC, Microsoft and Sony dont care, its still money to them.

but who is giving them more money? the people that buy their system, their games, and pay for their subscriptions. of the people that just buy the game?

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Game exclusivity doesn't make sense to developers, only platform holders.

If I developed a game and planned on selling it for $60, I would want as many people as possible to be able to buy / play that game. A lot of creation tools now streamline the process for porting games from PC -> Playstation or PC -> Xbox or PC -> Switch etc. In addition to that, the PC has several viable and successful marketplaces, and this wasn't exactly true even 5 years ago. There isn't much reason in developing a new game these days without having portability between systems in mind from the get-go.

If you're a Sony or a NIntendo, or an Epic Games Store, you're going to want to incentivize (aka "pay") developers to make their games exclusive to your console/service. There usually aren't any technical reasons for doing so, just business reasons. Even first-party studios are artificially limiting their software sales right now in an attempt to increase hardware sales.

In the end, the thing that makes the most sense to everyone involved is that every game ideally releases on every platform. Game hardware (consoles, streaming services, whatever) will live and die by their particular console's features and compute power. Software would be portable between systems, meaning you wouldn't have to double-dip to play the games you own on different hardware. Newer hardware would play older games. Cross-platform multiplayer becomes the norm.

It's a dream of mine, but it seems like the inevitable convergence.

Game exclusivity doesn't make sense to developers, only platform holders.

If I developed a game and planned on selling it for $60, I would want as many people as possible to be able to buy / play that game. A lot of creation tools now streamline the process for porting games from PC -> Playstation or PC -> Xbox or PC -> Switch etc. In addition to that, the PC has several viable and successful marketplaces, and this wasn't exactly true even 5 years ago. There isn't much reason in developing a new game these days without having portability between systems in mind from the get-go.

If you're a Sony or a NIntendo, or an Epic Games Store, you're going to want to incentivize (aka "pay") developers to make their games exclusive to your console/service. There usually aren't any technical reasons for doing so, just business reasons. Even first-party studios are artificially limiting their software sales right now in an attempt to increase hardware sales.

In the end, the thing that makes the most sense to everyone involved is that every game ideally releases on every platform. Game hardware (consoles, streaming services, whatever) will live and die by their particular console's features and compute power. Software would be portable between systems, meaning you wouldn't have to double-dip to play the games you own on different hardware. Newer hardware would play older games. Cross-platform multiplayer becomes the norm.

It's a dream of mine, but it seems like the inevitable convergence.

I don't see nintendo doing what Sony and microsoft are doing?

why do you think is that. thats right. they want people to invest in their platform. I have 0 reason to invest in a closed platform that has all its benefits on better platforms that can be used for anything beyond games and dont want me to pay to play online

Stuart360

well. just like I said. this is just the start. that game company, then QD. why would they even bother to do this if they are gonna stop there

and like you said. Detroit is a new game.

but who is giving them more money? the people that buy their system, their games, and pay for their subscriptions. of the people that just buy the game?
The console only gamers, which is the causal masses really who want that ease of use. Just like when Xbox started releasing their games on PC, gamers aren't all suddenly going to run out and buy gaming PC's. There will always be PC only gamers, always be Console only gamers, and always be people who own both. Its like me saying whats the point in buying a gaming PC when i can just buy a much cheaper console and play the same games?.

Convenience? I can't play on PC anything other than CS:GO. Why it's such a hard thing to grasp that plenty of people don't give a shit about "benefits" of pc gaming? PC gamers really seem like jehovah witnesses lmao

Last edited:

Rugabuga

Neo Member

Buying a playstation or xbox just for exclusives is pointless to sony and ms. They make money off subscriptions and 2rd party sales, controllers, etc.
If all you do is buy exclusives than you can make the same, if not more, money selling those games directly on PC.

The console only gamers, which is the causal masses really who want that ease of use. Just like when Xbox started releasing their games on PC, gamers aren't all suddenly going to run out and buy gaming PC's. There will always be PC only gamers, always be Console only gamers, and always be people who own both. Its like me saying whats the point in buying a gaming PC when i can just buy a much cheaper console and play the same games?.

I mean sure but. I bought a gaming laptop 4-5 years ago. I was able to play gaming on it. and I got my moneys worth out of it because I used it for education purposes. college and what not. its much more useful than a cheap laptop that breaks after two years.

thank god I did not lay a finger on a ps4. or buy one. paying for online. having a piece of hardware that runs louder than a lawn mower to play like 10 exclusives in 6-7 years. is something am not interested in quite frank.

Last edited:

exactly. but we aren't casual masses are we?

AlphaMale

I couldn't be bothered to game on PC. Plus, the release of these games on PC are years down the road, so if you want to play it when it comes out, you'd still need a console.

Since Sony interrupted exclusive partnership with QD an TGC, I think that's nice give the opportunity to PC players to play those games, and the developer get som cash from new sales.

I don't think that current, active and established exclusives would be ported that easily, I wouldn't make assumptions

Sony are fucking stupid beyond degeneracy. Their only long-term assets are these studios and franchises, many of which they've discontinued in recent years.

It's disheartening to see all these once great corporations being completely destroy from insides by scums leeches investors.

stranno

flOw is still a PS3/PSP game. Well, not exactly, in the beginning it was a flash demo, but the full thing is still a Sony exclusive.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
There's nothing wrong with those games coming to PC, they need more sales.....Sony can just ensure that they don't come to competing consoles, but PS is not competing with PC....If we realize, Sony is putting more second party games on PC now.....or rather some games they financed from third parties like these games, SFV etc...., but for their big guns, I don't think they will ever go anywhere else......GOW, UC, LOU, GT etc......

iNvid02

It's surprising, in a good way. I'm not sure how far this trend will reach or if it continues, but i'm down for it

This combined with Stadia looking like its gonna disrupt the shit out of this industry is exciting to say the least

Last edited:
It's surprising, in a good way. I'm not sure how far this trend will reach or if it continues, but i'm down for it

This combined with Stadia looking like its gonna disrupt the shit out of this industry is exciting to say the least

i cant say am excited. because am all in for console gaming. and these new changes will choke out console gaming, or at least they will choke out the interest of hard core audience like me to buy a console. because it sure as fuck isn't interesting

am not gonna buy a console for its "exclusives" when they aren't really exclusives.

-MD-

Not playing Heavy Rain at all is how you really win at life.

What a dog shit "game", David Cage is a hack.

Elenchus

Banned
Not sure why we have to keep answering this question. People buy consoles because they provide a living room gaming experience that is superior to PCs in every way.

From the buying experience to the user experience consoles wipe the floor with PCs in the living room. Always have. Always will. The refusal of the PC community to accept that doesn’t change the facts.

Wouldn’t matter if God of War was on PC. More gamers would still opt for the plug and play ease of use offered by a PS4. It’s not the library that keeps console gamers from converting. It’s the shitty living room experience.

That’s why PC ports never move the needle in PCs favor. People chatter about them for a day or two and then go back to their consoles. Same will happen here.

Not sure why we have to keep answering this question. People buy consoles because they provide a living room gaming experience that is superior to PCs in every way.

From the buying experience to the user experience consoles wipe the floor with PCs in the living room. Always have. Always will. The refusal of the PC community to accept that doesn’t change the facts.

Wouldn’t matter if God of War was on PC. More gamers would still opt for the plug and play ease of use offered by a PS4. It’s not the library that keeps console gamers from converting. It’s the shitty living room experience.

That’s why PC ports never move the needle in PCs favor. People chatter about them for a day or two and then go back to their consoles. Same will happen here.

many people buy consoles because they are only the way to play exclusives. lets cut that shitty point we're not casuals.

why does nintendo not put their games on other platforms? but microsoft has no problem doing so. and now sony is starting too?

one company cares about preserving console gaming. and the other two apparently don't.

Last edited:

Fbh

The only recent one is Detroit, it's also the only current gen one. All the others are both from last gen and from somewhere between 2009 and 2013.
Honestly, if Ps5 has cool exclusives I'll probably get one instead of missing out on great games because "they might release on PC in 7 years"

Who knows what sort of deal they had with these studios. Both TGC and Quantic Dream had an old " 3 exclusive games" deal with Sony, maybe something in it is allowing for this.
Until I see stuff like God of War, Uncharted, Spiderman or Bloodborne releasing on PC I'd hardly see it as a trend of every (or most) big Sony games coming to other platforms.

As for why I buy consoles.
- Because I think they still give decent value for the money
- Most of my friends play online on consoles
- The exclusives: Bloodborne, God of War, Horizon, Bayonetta 2, Breath of the Wild, etc are some of my favourite games this gen and aren't officially out on PC (though you can play the arguably best version of Breath of the Wild through emulators). And the chance that maybe one of them might release on PC in 6 or 7 or 10 years doesn't really invalidate this point to me

Last edited:

Elenchus

Banned
many people buy consoles because they are only the way to play exclusives. lets cut that shitty point we're not casuals.

why does nintendo not put their games on other platforms? but microsoft has no problem doing so. and now sony is starting too?

one company cares about preserving console gaming. and the other two apparently don't.

“Some” buy consoles for exclusives but it’s far fewer than you believe.

Sony has nearly 100 mil consoles shipped and not a single exclusive that has sold even a quarter of that amount.

There is very clearly a significant number of PS4 owners who did not buy God of War or s Spider-Man.

Xbox console sales have grown quarter after quarter despite MS’s play anywhere initiative.

You’re thinking with your heart and not your head. No PC can offer the price, form factor, and ease of use of a console.

A parent with a kid that wants to play Spider-Man will always head to Walmart and pull a console off the shelf.

PC is completely dead in the living room. MS has lost nothing and neither has Sony.

V

Vader1

Unconfirmed Member
Well for one, there still are Nintendo exclusives.

But also, a console is a lot more convenient to just hook up to a tv and play with a controller.

Top Bottom