• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quadrilateral Cowboy |OT| Twentieth-century cyberpunk

Thank goodness for Steam refunds: very excited to play this, but genuinely don't know if my laptop can run it. At the very least it doesn't look too intense from the screens.

Thank goodness for Steam refunds: very excited to play this, but genuinely don't know if my laptop can run it. At the very least it doesn't look too intense from the screens.

It's running on a modified version of idTech 4 (the Doom 3 engine) so it should run on any modern machine without too much trouble.

Wok

Live.

u2VHfIh.png

Watched the trailer, looks like it has a good deal of puzzling and variety to it. Had such a lovely time with Thirty Flights of Loving. I suppose the puzzles could be very streamlined. I'm going to need to know duration before I buy. I am not in the position to pay $20 for something that's only a few hours long right now. I'm guessing any commentary will be locked behind that special edition.

I want to buy through Blendo to give him the most money (using Humble instead of steam) but I do want a steam key. Can anybody confirm if buying through his site gives a steam key?

Paz

I want to buy through Blendo to give him the most money (using Humble instead of steam) but I do want a steam key. Can anybody confirm if buying through his site gives a steam key?

I'm not sure about keys but on the subject of money it's debatable what's most effective at launch since steam click throughs and purchases can contribute to placement etc, and good steam visibility is worth a lot more than a few % on some sales.

Wouldn't sweat how you buy it from a dev benefit point of view.

That's just me though.

Roarer

This looks way more interesting and involved than I originally figured. For some reason I thought it would be like TIS-100 but with some slight first-person bits thrown in. Can't wait to play it!

More reviews

Game Informer - 9.5/10
Quadrilateral Cowboy is a strange, fantastic journey that will likely charm and test you in equal measure. I expect to come back to it many times over the next few months despite having completed it, searching the environments for nuggets of the story hidden away in the corners of each level and striving to become the best thief this side of cyberspace.
Destructoid - 9/10
There are no other games like Quadrilateral Cowboy, and it will likely stay that way. It’s a unique blend of computer science, puzzles, and beautiful storytelling that could only come from Blendo Games.
Polygon - 8/10
It's clear Blendo is hoping other players take these toys and run with them; there is, in fact, a large button that reads "Mods" right there on the main menu. But as it stands now, Quadrilateral Cowboy feels like a wonderfully designed class in a beautiful, fascinating school that stops just short of showing how much fun you can have after graduation.
Hardcore Gamer - 4/5
Despite a mind-boggling choice to switch things up drastically midway, Quadrilateral Cowboy is an innovative puzzler that plays with both the angles of hacking and heist films in a terrific way, making for something that those who enjoy brain-teasers with a bit of spice will enjoy. The wait for this one was indeed worth it in the end
The Sixth Axis - 8/10
Quadrilateral Cowboy’s a game that gets hacking right – if you permit me calling it that – with the command line interface brilliantly letting you manipulate the world and use the other tools of the cyberpunk heisting trade. It’s effortlessly cool, from a slightly nerdy retro perspective, but hidden beneath that, there’s a simple and very ordinary feeling tale of a trio of kickass women living outside the law and pulling off ever more outlandish heists.
Game Revolution - 4/5
I can easily recommend Quadrilateral Cowboy, one of my favorite indie games so far this year, to anyone looking for an adventure game that brings something that feels fresh and new to the table and leaves you feeling smart as you've become a hacking god, or in this case goddess.

Been playing for a bit, just completed the first heist. Genius. Havine some issues on what follows, though.

Having some trouble connecting to the 'weevil' robot. Not sure what command line I'm supposed to be entering - 'connect' gives a command line, and 'find' gives the name of the weevil; but I can't seem to make it work. Currently entering connect <nell> <1>, which should be the right string.. correct?

It took me about 30 minutes to go through the first contract mission. I had a brain fart when it shifted to relying on the player to come up with command lines, but the process of theorizing -> implementing -> repeat is immediately satisfying once it clicked. Then I replayed it and finished in just over 4 minutes. This is SO COOL already. It kind of reminds me of Hitman in a strange roundabout way too.

Rippounette

Neo Member
Having some trouble connecting to the 'weevil' robot. Not sure what command line I'm supposed to be entering - 'connect' gives a command line, and 'find' gives the name of the weevil; but I can't seem to make it work. Currently entering connect <nell> <1>, which should be the right string.. correct?

It's just connect nell 1

How do you put stuff into your inventory again?
Trying to collect the CCTV and weever

Right click.

I'm having more command line troubles. Really wish they would give you a clear example string, just so you have a better handle on formatting (coincidentally, this is a problem I had when I attempted to learn actual coding).

While moving weevil, how am I support to format the distances? It says go move_distance, with +/- signifying forward/backward. But commands like go move_+4 aren't recognized.

Jake

How do you put stuff into your inventory again?
Trying to collect the CCTV and weever

Put the reticule on it and right click!

Man I love Blendo games but I'm a bit fearful I'm just not going to enjoy this style of gameplay. Think I'm going to wait for impressions to see what the split is like between story/gameplay because I've really enjoyed previous titles for the stories they tell.

The game is very much a fun play-with-gadgets puzzle game, more than its explicitly about programming. Also it is packed full of character stuff like Gravity Bone and Thirty Flights interwoven with the heist puzzles. It's 100% a descendant of Blendo's first person narrative stuff, but has a bunch of puzzle/hacking/heist meat in there as well as the pure narrative/experiential stuff.

(Disclosure: I like this game a ton, it's right up my alley, but also I know Brendon Chung and was an editor on the trailer for Quadrilateral Cowboy.)

Right click.

I'm having more command line troubles. Really wish they would give you a clear example string, just so you have a better handle on formatting (coincidentally, this is a problem I had when I attempted to learn actual coding).

While moving weevil, how am I support to format the distances? It says go move_distance, with +/- signifying forward/backward. But commands like go move_+4 aren't recognized.

The weevil
moves like the Logo turtle, if you ever used Logo on an Apple II or computer of that era. "go 10" without the quotes makes it go 10 units. "turn -30" turns it 30 degrees counter clockwise. It doesnt have any other formatting or embellishments.

Ozium

is the game worth it?

just remembered obduction got delayed so might bite on this but unsure of length / satisfaction

Oh shit, it's out! I can't believe how many of the perpetually in-development indie games have come out these past two years! I think the only one that's left for me is Miegakure.

Can't wait to check this out tonight. I only know some of the concept from its discussions on Idle Thumbs, aside from that I know nothing about the game.

flowsnake

The game crashed at one point and now my command line is all messed up. Can't enter any commands now.

Edit: I had to restart the job, which reset my terminal.

FLD

Put a little over an hour and a half in it and so far I'm really enjoying it. It's not quite how I expected but it's a lot of fun.

Does anyone know if this is supposed to be part of the same "Citizen Abel" series as Gravity Bone/Thirty Flights of Loving? I was a little surprised to see the exact same visual style and blocky characters.

It's obviously very similar in themes and aesthetics to Gravity Bone/Thirty Flights, wouldn't be surprised to find some cameos and i was half expecting
the birds in the office to explode.

Right, I hope so. This thing struggles running Portal overly well but it handled Jazzpunk A-OK at least, so that's something.
Jazzpunk and Blendo Games being cartoony and simple models should work on any computer, but Portal has more cpmplicated graphics so that's not surprising.

Jake

It's obviously very similar in themes and aesthetics to Gravity Bone/Thirty Flights, wouldn't be surprised to find some cameos and i was half expecting
the birds in the office to explode.

Did you try to zoom in on them with the camera? (I didn't but it just occurred to me that that's the thing most likely to make them explode, of all the tools you have in the room right then.)

Salsa

great work on the OT more_badass and thanks for asking beforehand

can't believe this is finally out, god damn.

even made this last year

have no money to spend at the moment, but dying to play it and very excited about the reception

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I think I'm experiencing a glitch? On the mission with the crane thing and my commands have stopped showing up on laptops display. They seem to register ok but its not very chill doing it all by feel with no feedback. Has anyone else experienced this?

CHC

Reviews kind of sold me, this sounds exceptional.

The smaller titles this year are really, really delivering the goods. It's been great.

flowsnake

I think I'm experiencing a glitch? On the mission with the crane thing and my commands have stopped showing up on laptops display. They seem to register ok but its not very chill doing it all by feel with no feedback. Has anyone else experienced this?

Yea, that's similar to my problem (though maybe not exactly the same). My terminal was messed up until going into the mission select and restarting the section I was in.

noclip is a great way to see some trippy shit lmao

Loving this so far. Thirty Flights was a hell of an experience but it was ungodly short, so having way more of it plus dope, unique puzzles in the mix is brill. Can't wait to have my brain melted by the later game - I see you, blink command.

Top Bottom