• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quadrilateral Cowboy |OT| Twentieth-century cyberpunk

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Question for people who played a bit more of the game. Does it get more.....hack-y? I thought this game was more like Hacknet but so far it seems like a puzzle game with an OS interface. What I mean by that is that doesn't feel like I'm "hacking" things and more like setting up sequences to solve puzzles like "Wait x seconds, then open this door, then wait again then turn off a camera".

My game broke... the computer is stuck on the same text, won't display new text. Still functions correctly, but I need to see the dir or help and those won't display. I thought entering a new environment would fix it but it didn't. Fresh install did nothing either.

Help?

Question for people who played a bit more of the game. Does it get more.....hack-y? I thought this game was more like Hacknet but so far it seems like a puzzle game with an OS interface. What I mean by that is that doesn't feel like I'm "hacking" things and more like setting up sequences to solve puzzles like "Wait x seconds, then open this door, then wait again then turn off a camera".

If this doesn't satisfy your hunger for coding you should also try Else Heart.Break() which goes a lot deeper with the coding stuff, so much that by the end you're struggling to keep the world making sense. QC seems more of a puzzle thing rather than a building and destroying coding simulator.

Is there no way to carry a safe? You can only bump into it?

You want ElseHeartBreak. That's a much more hacking/coding-focused game, except in that game you literally hack reality

Rippounette

Neo Member

Not really. It gets more complex and you need to use more code and more of different command types at the same time (especially near the end), but it stays a puzzle game at its core, with hacking as a tool.

My game broke... the computer is stuck on the same text, won't display new text. Still functions correctly, but I need to see the dir or help and those won't display. I thought entering a new environment would fix it but it didn't. Fresh install did nothing either.

Help?

Yeah, it happened to me a couple of times too. I think exiting and then reloading the job by choosing it directly in the carreer menu works to fix it.

EVO

I totally forgot about this game. Anything from Blendo is an instant buy for me.

Do they get more money if you buy via their website?

commissar

Only got to play up to the 2nd scenario this morning and now at work ticking the minutes waiting to go home. I like how one can just set up the whole operation with some guessed wait commands and just do it all in one go. So good.

Chev

Frankly, it's not a hacking game, it's a heist game.

Yeah, it happened to me a couple of times too. I think exiting and then reloading the job by choosing it directly in the carreer menu works to fix it.

Right, did that in the end and yeah it worked. Though now I just had another bug where I dropped the laptop on my end and then all UI (pause menu/inventory) wouldn't appear.

I want to like this game but it appears it doesn't like me very much!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Got a big kick out of the
figure drawing props in Lou's place
I work in an art store and get handed that very list everyday. I guess the pencil set might be overkill but maybe the instructor has some weird plans.

Jake

Got a big kick out of the
figure drawing props in Lou's place
I work in an art store and get handed that very list everyday. I guess the pencil set might be overkill but maybe the instructor has some weird plans.

These details are great. Did you read the
rejection letters spiked to the wall by the lab door
in the early time before HeistPlanner 1.0 is live?

A 9/10 from Gamespot
Quadrilateral Cowboy succeeds in astonishing ways: It makes you feel like an incredibly accomplished computer hacker and agent of espionage. It creates an eccentric, thorough world that feels good to exist in and creates characters you can empathise with, despite the lack of a clear plot thread. Quadrilateral Cowboy presents you with a spectrum of moments, and each moment makes you feel great.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
These details are great. Did you read the
rejection letters spiked to the wall by the lab door
in the early time before HeistPlanner 1.0 is live?
Yeah I read maybe like 6 or 7 of them! I wasn't sure how deep they went and imagined infinity of them. There's a lot of really neat stuff to observe. Like, some of the photos seemed to imply that
that the main group are lifelong friends from an orphanage.
did anyone else pick that up?

I'm in love with this game's design.

From the tactile objects and in-universe gameplay tips, to the Thief-style sketched maps and notebook/watch that acts as your manual, guide, and objective tracker
XPDM04m.jpg
YqBJKkx.jpg

And how pretty much every surface and item has readable text

===

I don't know if I'm going slower than others, just taking my time, but I've played for three hours and I'm just a little less than halfway through

ymgve

I wish the tiny robot and the gun had a better UI for aiming/navigating. I can see why the devs wanted it to be done from the console, but they already gave you direct controls for the jumping pad. Especially when re-aiming the gun, getting the coords and setting up the scripts yet again because you tripped the alarm.

I haven't even gotten the gun yet!

Yeah, I'm stuck on Bergamot Towers, I think it's called. I feel like a moron and I'm sure the answer is right in front of me. Maybe I'm just too tired to see it right now.

Anyway, I really love the atmosphere of this - the world needs more cyberpunk video games.

Oh my GOD I love the
cat in the shop, and how he goes from normal cat selling normal stuff to normies, to head-bobbing hacker-shit provider as soon as you arrive.
(very minor spoiler for just after the first real job). Totally in my top few moments so far this year. Just struck me as so indicative of this game's feel.

Stiler

Man, is anyone else getting terrible performance?

Running on a 780 and with the default settings and changing it to 1080p I was getting 22fps...something has to be wrong doesn't it? I mean this isn't like a huge graphically intensive game...

Also the options seem fubar, I change speakers to 5 and it just reverts to 2 speakers no matter what.

Spoo

So far I really like a lot of the ideas this game has, but I'm not really digging them in practice. There's a lot of really annoying little things that are holding it back for me -- the pace feels maybe a tad slow when you have to bust out your toys, and missions in general have either felt like a "that's it?" result, or a "smart, but annoying" feeling.

The art direction is neat, in some ways, but from a technological standpoint this game feels like it's not reaching half of its potential. I realize it's not the major point of the game, but when textures aren't lining up properly... I think it could have used a bit more time in the oven.

Some of the physics have gone really bonkers on me, too.

I think it's pretty solid, and has fun moments, but I think at the price point it has, and my overall enjoyment so far, I may have been better off waiting on this one a bit.

Oh my GOD I love the
cat in the shop, and how he goes from normal cat selling normal stuff to normies, to head-bobbing hacker-shit provider as soon as you arrive.
(very minor spoiler for just after the first real job). Totally in my top few moments so far this year. Just struck me as so indicative of this game's feel.

Also the
plaque underneath him changes from "satisfaction guaranteed" to "NO REFUNDS"

Man, is anyone else getting terrible performance?

Running on a 780 and with the default settings and changing it to 1080p I was getting 22fps...something has to be wrong doesn't it? I mean this isn't like a huge graphically intensive game...

Also the options seem fubar, I change speakers to 5 and it just reverts to 2 speakers no matter what.

Just played about 5 minutes of the game and it's completely messed up for me.

The game is slowing down and running at low frame rates like 20 FPS.

I have a 6700K, a GTX 1080 and I'm running at 2560 x 1440.

I shouldn't be having any issues with the hardware I have.

commissar

Finished it tonight, was an absolute joy to play and puzzle things out. Started again with some of the developer commentary, which are neat little tidbits and interesting engine tricks :]

Stoze

Just played about 5 minutes of the game and it's completely messed up for me.

The game is slowing down and running at low frame rates like 20 FPS.

I have a 6700K, a GTX 1080 and I'm running at 2560 x 1440.

I shouldn't be having any issues with the hardware I have.

Yep, I've got a 980ti and the start was running at like 45 fps at 1440p. Gonna update my driver and see if that works.

Oh man, Repluse Bay...so good

When you're on the third mission and you realize you have to shoot out the windows to hit the button...only to realize that you forgot to keep your oxygen mask on.

I love all the little details

So no current way to replay levels with all of your equipment? I wish they had that :(.

Just unlocked the
Blink.exe
and it is awesome. This game keeps surprising me with the depth!

Purkake4

Banned
It looks right up my alley.
Looks like a heits game melded with something like TIS-100. Am I right?
Less abstract. Basically it's what you'd imagine hacking is like, you run around with a "deck" put it down to shut down security, open doors and time stuff right via a command line interface. Later on you get extra toys you control from your deck (via command line).

Stoze

Updating the driver seemed to help, no frame drops now except if I turn AA up to 8 or 16x for whatever reason. Must be a weird optimization thing. Was great until...

Love what little I've played so far, but have also run into the command line shitting itself, as detailed earlier here and in this thread on the Steam forums. Brendon posted there, so he knows what's up. Restarting the mission/game didn't work for me, so hopefully a patch is coming soon!

This, happened in the same spot as well, laser9 job0. Thinking I may just reset progress since I could blaze back to where I was in 10 minutes.
edit2: Someone posted a fix in the thread. Basically the buffer isn't clearing in the command line when you load, so new text is appearing at the very top where you can't see it unless you page up. Just type 'help' a bunch of times and it'll overwrite previous text until it gets down to where your cursor currently is. Kind of a meta bug, actually.

Unfortunate issues because I really, really liked what I've played so far.

epmode

Love what little I've played so far, but have also run into the command line shitting itself, as detailed earlier here and in this thread on the Steam forums. Brendon posted there, so he knows what's up. Restarting the mission/game didn't work for me, so hopefully a patch is coming soon!

Yikes, I'm having the same problem. It's almost unplayable now.

Help, Dir, a bunch of other commands don't display anything, the up and down arrows automatically input my previous commands before I even get a chance to look at them, etc.

Gotta wait for a patch.

ymgve

Generally it seems like the game has a lot of tiny problems with restarting a level not actually resetting everything properly. Also too easy getting stuck in walls. I got stuck in a wall a few times and when I restarted my character was unable to move, as if still stuck in the wall.

Stoze

Yikes, I'm having the same problem. It's almost unplayable now.

Help, Dir, a bunch of other commands don't display anything, the up and down arrows automatically input my previous commands before I even get a chance to look at them, etc.

Gotta wait for a patch.

Try typing help (or just executing using up arrow) a bunch of times until you see the help commands, worked for me.

Chev

I finished it earlier today.

I'm wondering, is there a way to finish the
Malta Stock Exchange
without alerts?
I had to break a window to escape. And to access the phone tap room. I didn't manage to get all the way up to the elevator override through the elevator shaft, even though I feel that's how I should've done it

I love the reveal of the vulcan gun. The sheer unexpectedness of it was marvelous.

Stoze

I finished it earlier today.

I'm wondering, is there a way to finish the
Malta Stock Exchange
without alerts?
I had to break a window to escape. And to access the phone tap room. I didn't manage to get all the way up to the elevator override through the elevator shaft, even though I feel that's how I should've done it

I love the reveal of the vulcan gun. The sheer unexpectedness of it was marvelous.

I don't know about the window for escaping, but for the
stockline room, I set up the rifle over the electrified vent and created a blink macro for it to shoot the door button.

There's some really neat alternate ways of doing things, for the last level;
before you enter the base, you can walk over above the control panel and chuck one of your items at it to break the glass and use it. It doesn't even set off an alarm (at least it didn't if it was supposed to).

And yeah that was a great moment. I finished it as well, I'll post my full thoughts in a bit.

Chev

I don't know about the window for escaping, but for the
stockline room, I set up the rifle over the electrified vent and created a blink macro for it to shoot the door button.

Yeah but for that you need to move
the elevator, and as said before I couldn't jump up the shaft to reach the override.

Top Bottom