• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break Gamersyde preview. HQ gameplay inside.

KORNdoggy

What madness has some suggesting the division looks better than this? There's just no way. This game's stunning visual effects, the cleanness to its overall visual presentation, the amazing lighting, the physics work, and let's not forget the incredible overall attention to detail.

And then the super stylish and fast paced gameplay that separates it from just about anything else out there right now, puts it over the top.

sponsored by remedy!

:p

Angel_DvA

Shame it's a fucking terrible game. But hey, at least it looks nice huh?

Terrible game is hyperbolic as hell but whatever, I still really like the game overall, the story was bad and you can feel that the game was rushed with the way missions are handled but it's still an amazing looking game with a pretty good gameplay, powers are fantastic to use and I like the characters, Infamous 2 is still the best one and I think I'm done with the series for a long time though.

I'm not waiting QB on its graphics but more about its story because it's the strongest point in Remedy games to me just behind gameplay and the time effects looks really great.

omonimo

Banned
:Sigh: yes, the game is soft-looking, we all get this, can we please move on?
The only thing I found 'unacceptable' it's the ambiguity of Remedy and it's not their first time. They did the same with Alan Wake, they never clarified the native res of the game on x360 at the time. I can't forget some people who hoped otherwise and forum like beyond3d continued to destroy their hope. This is the second time. A coincidence? It's not exactly correct from my point of view.

shandy706

IQ is not only about aliasing... is the quality of the image as a whole, this game looks too blurry and ghosting sometimes, the grainy effect... etc etc.

Well duh, it's not just aliasing. However, I prefer the clean look over horribly jaggies. I see motion blurr in some shots, and I'm not a fan of "movie grain", bleh. However, there's a lot going on in a lot of those scenes, especially when the action and pace pick up. It looks incredible in motion.

I'll take this IQ over a jaggy mess any day. As a whole, despite a bit of a soft look, the IQ is more good than bad. Ryse managed a great IQ, as does something like Horizon. Horizon manages it at 1080p, but the tech difference and all the physics/time effects/objects on screen probably aren't comparable in any way.

What madness has some suggesting the division looks better than this? There's just no way. This game's stunning visual effects, the cleanness to its overall visual presentation, the amazing lighting, the physics work, and let's not forget the incredible overall attention to detail.

And then the super stylish and fast paced gameplay that separates it from just about anything else out there right now, puts it over the top.

That was Gamersyde. The people who uploaded these videos...

And some more GIFs:
qb3.gif

qb2.gif

thelastword

Banned

Yes, the division looks better, higher quality assets in; shadows, SSR, AO, draw distance, better PBR, much better AA and IQ, a higher resolution and higher resolution effects, it's physics is not as wonky as this game and it's animation system is better.

Zedox

Has anyone been discussing the gameplay or has it all (mostly) been tech talk? :/

Psh, who cares about gameplay...it's all about IQ man. GET WITH THE TIMES :). Man, I think I'm gonna ban myself from the review thread already. I'll play the game when it comes out and then look at these threads. I'm really intrigued about the gameplay puzzles that they have. I saw one during a stream and know that they could have some really good stuff in there with those powers. Gimmie some Tomb Raider type puzzles brah.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Still looks average to me, Infamous SS looks cleaner and better to me while being an open world.
At least Quantum Break actually runs somewhat better than Infamous. It's mostly a very solid 30fps with only a small number of areas that dip beneath. Infamous has a lot of additional hitches, skips, and stutters that detract from its fluidity (which is due to its open world, mostly).

I do think Infamous looks better in many ways, but QB has its own advantages as well (such as real-time GI - something you don't see in Second Son).

Just watched the Gamersyde uncompressed videos.

The IQ is quite soft, but it's also very clean. I agree with most people who say that it does not look like a 720p game.

Overall I think it looks pretty good, and the action scenes are fantastic.

SomTervo

The only thing I found 'unacceptable' it's the ambiguity of Remedy and it's not their first time. They did the same with Alan Wake, they never clarified the native res of the game on x360 at the time. I can't forget some people who hoped otherwise and forum like beyond3d continued to destroy their hope. This is the second time. A coincidence? It's not exactly correct from my point of view.

Perhaps resolution just doesn't matter to them as much as, you know, making a good videogame?

Angel_DvA

At least Quantum Break actually runs somewhat better than Infamous. It's mostly a very solid 30fps with only a small number of areas that dip beneath. Infamous has a lot of additional hitches, skips, and stutters that detract from its fluidity (which is due to its open world, mostly).

I do think Infamous looks better in many ways, but QB has its own advantages as well (such as real-time GI - something you don't see in Second Son).

I was only comparing the IQ between the two, Infamous is an early PS4 game, open world that run over 40FPS most of the time, with a little more work, they could have probably locked it to 30, Infamous isn't the best PS4 looking game but I choose it cause i love how clean it looks compared to the blurry looks of QB, performance wise, isn't Quantum Break having screen tearing, framerate drops with low resolution ? I'm not sure we can call it running better...

brau

So when will they show this game running on PC? I hope it comes with some nice PC features too. I can't wait to see this running in 4k with all those effects. The screenshot thread is gonna fill up fast.

4SC4tIz.gif

omonimo

Banned
Because they aren't stupid. Saying: Hey our game is 720p. Isn't the best PR move.
Of course. But they should avoid the whole matter. Let's not forget they talked of 1080p. The same happened for Alan Wake. Their official tech reply at the time was even hilarious. Keep in mind I'm not trying to say it's a graphic mess. But their attitude about the matter, it's not exactly genuine.

Overall I think it looks good, there are some things that throw me off, like shadows, lighting, AA, and IQ, but the effects are awesome.

As for gameplay, it looks like a ton of fun to play, which gets me excited for April 5th. You do seem overpowered, but I like that, you're supposed to be.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Of course. But they should avoid the whole matter. Let's not forget they talked of 1080p. The same happened for Alan Wake. Their official tech reply at the time was even hilarious. Keep in mind I'm not trying to say it's a graphic mess.

when did they talk about 1080p?

That's fantastic.

Really feel like I should buy this on PC.

Can't make up my mind though.

If you have a good PC, definitely go with that. That's what I'm gonna be doing. The game should look extremely impressive at high settings. But I suppose it depends on whether or not the soft look and IQ bothers you.

DrD

Eurogamer live streamed 2 hours today. Seems lukewarm on it. "I don't not like it but I don't know if I like it. Rather interesting. Time powers are pretty cool. Combat feels a little bit ropey."

https://youtu.be/C61nEOFjvxI?t=1h20m10s
Danny O'Dwyer has also been giving impressions on the Gamespot livestream that's currently ongoing. Some stuff he said so far:

He likes the time powers and combat gets really fun when you layer them on top of each other and use them together. Coming off The Division, the gunplay/movement feels floaty/sluggish, mentions Killzone and GTA 4 as comparisons and that you probably get used to it. Difficulty ramps up.

He also said the live action segments are long but very well produced.

Harmen

Looks great! Honestly, I do think there is a large difference between 720 and 1080p, especially on a big screen such as my main tv. (on my small laptop or phone the differences are less noticeable to me though). But the effects are amazing and the soft look isn't as distracting as the number 720p made me imagine.

I really hope this game delivers! I need more successful linear tps games this gen (though I do not own a One).

gamz

Linneman (DF) recent tweets really excites me:

https://twitter.com/dark1x/with_replies

John Linneman ‏@dark1x Blown away but what I've played of QB thus far. Amazing work.

John Linneman ‏@dark1x I think it's blown way out of proportion. It's one of the best looking, technically accomplished games on XO.

John Linneman ‏@dark1x It's rather frustrating. I don't think people fully understand the resolution issue (it's not "just" 720p - it's more complex)

John Linneman ‏@dark1x Nope, it's something different entirely. I've never seen anything quite like it. It works pretty well, actually.

nib95

Banned
Watching the downloaded footage, not really impressed by the game graphically outside of the effects and cutscenes at all.

Have a GIF though:
qb1.gif

The games visuals, animations, character models etc are a bit of a mixed affair. Sometimes it looks amazing, especially some of the weird glitch effects, enemy hit detections, materials and lighting etc, but then other times you get poor IQ, subpar facial and general animations, weird physics, textures, camera movement etc. I mean, the example GIF above is just bad. Hopefully it's a rarity and not a common occurrence. Overall it still looks very good.

Still exited for the game, and unless the reviews are particularly bad, I can't see this not being a definite purchase.

Top Bottom