• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break is leaving Xbox Game Pass (It's now back again)

Drizzlehell

Banned
Got all the achievements for this when it came to Steam. Fantastic game, although it was a bit too heavy on cutscenes and story elements. The idea of an episodic live action show that played out like a choose-your-own-adventure book depending on what you did in the gameplay sections of the game was pretty cool but the whole thing was kinda sloppily directed. This is where a director like Michael Bay should come in and make it more entertaining.

MOTM

Banned
I think I played it for 10 minutes years back when it hit GP.

You start the game with some cut scenes and then take control of your character at night and walk into a building (I think that was the sequence).

In those couple minutes controlling the character, it was the most sloppy feeling gameplay ever. Played like crap.
You must have been drunk out of your mind that day. The good thing about Quantum Break was the gameplay.

Stafford

There's a show, but I'm not sure if that's combined with the game? If so, license?

We all assume exclusives don't leave the service because it doesn't make sense for them to do so, but have MS ever said this?

Topher

Gold Member
You must have been drunk out of your mind that day. The good thing about Quantum Break was the gameplay.

And yet he is right that the character controls were very sloppy. That was one of the criticisms of the game when it was first released.

Shut0wen

I loved quantum break, just which the game was longer and that they stuck to there original design of being able to play as the villain

Bragr

Banned
I cannot believe this game is sitting at 77% MC. Some of the art elements are totally insane, Inception level stuff. It does have bland encounter design but man, it has some cool shit as well. If Naughty Dog ever did anything with 10% as much cool sci fi or fantasy shit as this, I'd freak out.
The way the TV shows rip apart the game flow was a big problem for a lot of people.

It also has some of the worst logs and emails you will ever find in a game. Meaning, if you are the type of person who needs to read everything, there are emails that will bog you down for 15 minutes, and a plethora of things to read in every room. If you try to follow all that, half the playtime is reading, and that is not an exaggeration. It's brutal with its side lore.

Some of the later story stuff and bosses are also all over the place. It's at its best early when there is some mystery to it.

You will notice some problems like enemy AI starting to annoy you later on too.

But generally, I agree that it has a really cool and ambitious story and there are some cool-as-hell scenarios. It's fun just to witness everything that's going on.

Soltype

Games is good, don't think it got fps boost, the only thing really holding it back is the performance.

xrnzaaas

If Lance Reddick being a part of the game is an issue, then shouldn't Horizon games be affected as well? Maybe it's just a coincidence they're removing it now.

Anyway I highly recommend playing the game, even if the idea of having episodes with real actors didn't really work out (mainly due to no interactions and not enough choices).

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The way the TV shows rip apart the game flow was a big problem for a lot of people.

It also has some of the worst logs and emails you will ever find in a game. Meaning, if you are the type of person who needs to read everything, there are emails that will bog you down for 15 minutes, and a plethora of things to read in every room. If you try to follow all that, half the playtime is reading, and that is not an exaggeration. It's brutal with its side lore.

Some of the later story stuff and bosses are also all over the place. It's at its best early when there is some mystery to it.

But generally, I agree that it has a really cool and ambitious story and there are some cool-as-hell scenarios. It's fun just to witness everything that's going on.
I dunno man. I think this game was maybe a decade ahead of its time. Now with streaming shows and games being so long and padded, the pacing on this feels amazing most of the time. Just such a breezy and fun experience. You get control on the fights and platforming for an hour then sit back and watch an episode for story. The show is comparable to some sci fi channel stuff. I'm loving it lol. There is a lot of text dumps that are important but I just embraced the multimedia approach the game is going for. Im checking out the diaries as well in the menus and the interview tapes but I could see how that one element may not land for everyone.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Honestly the last time I replayed it last year, I enjoyed the TV show segments. It's better than most sci-fi channel bullshit.

Also, Lance Reddick is amazing as always (RIP :( )

kiphalfton

You start the game with some cut scenes and then take control of your character at night and walk into a building (I think that was the sequence).

In those couple minutes controlling the character, it was the most sloppy feeling gameplay ever. Played like crap.

The character handles a whole heck of a lot better than the "running on ice" character handling in Control.

Bragr

Banned
I dunno man. I think this game was maybe a decade ahead of its time. Now with streaming shows and games being so long and padded, the pacing on this feels amazing most of the time. Just such a breezy and fun experience. You get control on the fights and platforming for an hour then sit back and watch an episode for story. The show is comparable to some sci fi channel stuff. I'm loving it lol. There is a lot of text dumps that are important but I just embraced the multimedia approach the game is going for. Im checking out the diaries as well in the menus and the interview tapes but I could see how that one element may not land for everyone.
But can't you see how the TV show won't land for everyone too?

I liked the TV show, apart from the last episode, which was weak. But I can see how a lot of people won't be into it.

The one thing I didn't like about it is the length. It's important to be able to walk away when you want to from a game, and those TV shows might lock you in when you don't wanna sit there for another 30 minutes. I know you can watch them from the menus, but that breaks it up.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
But can't you see how the TV show won't land for everyone too?

I liked the TV show, apart from the last episode, which was weak. But I can see how a lot of people won't be into it.

The one thing I didn't like about it is the length. It's important to be able to walk away when you want to from a game, and those TV shows might lock you in when you don't wanna sit there for another 30 minutes. I know you can watch them from the menus, but that breaks it up.
Sure, I can see how it could possibly be divisive. But most people do watch TV. I think mixing the two formats is interesting if people give it a chance.

Dibils2k

such a underrated game, suffered from being associated with terrible xbox one launch period and tv tv tv

i feel if it was PS exclusive it would have done well, as their fanboys are so aggressive online at pushing their games and cinematic games do well there

Fabieter

such a underrated game, suffered from being associated with terrible xbox one launch period and tv tv tv

i feel if it was PS exclusive it would have done well, as their fanboys are so aggressive online at pushing their games and cinematic games do well there

Well I thought the show, game structure of the game only worked on paper.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Zero logic. why not keep it on gamepass and get some money out of it. its not like someone gonna buy it now :/

Unless there is a Remastered version coming soon and they want people to buy that.
Maybe MS doesn't want to keep paying for it because not enough people are playing it. This is how shows disappear on streaming services.

//DEVIL//

Maybe MS doesn't want to keep paying for it because not enough people are playing it. This is how shows disappear on streaming services.
Wouldnt think thats the case considering 80% of the games on gamepass are junk heh. or lets say much worse games than this. and they still on game pass.

Yes, to bad its only 30fps on consoles. Looks absolutely stunning in 4k/60:

It's such a shame and I can't believe how MS and Remedy just have had no problem letting this game flounder on consoles at 30 fps. Proof game companies are only in for the money and have no shame about not caring that their own fans can't play the best version of a game.

MS, for all their big promises over BC, has failed abysmally at doing justice to their most interesting xbox one exclusives. QB, Dead Rising 3, Ryse, and Sunsey overdrive got nothing in the way of updates. Games like Gears 1 ultimate were supposed to get 4k/60 treatment but is only 1080p. Gears 4 wouldve looked stunning at 4k/60 but if you want 60 fps it has to be downgraded to 1080p with crappy, xbox one s visuals. Forza Horizon 4 got downgraded inexplicably having ambient occlusion removed as well as dynamic shadows when it got its Series X "upgrade". No sign of an update dot Forza Horizon 3 even!

I find this so incredibly disappointing and the worst part is they seem to have gotten away with it as most gamers don't seem to mind.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Possibly, no news from them but they could have bought the IP like Alan Wake. AW1 also left game pass after Remedy bought the IP.
🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞
If that's the case, can't wait for the sequel to finally save Beth - she's been waiting long enough already, let's not make her wait even longer😌

DaGwaphics

I hadn't thought about the streaming video component of it. Maybe there were 7yr agreements for it in place or something like that.

Like has been mentioned though, seems like it could be repackaged as a complete download now.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
On the last fight and got killed a few times. Will finish it tomorrow.

Honestly shocked at how underrated this game is. The Xbox One sure had a rough gen man. On my short list for like top 3 best sci fi games, top time travel game ever, and like top 5 best TPS ever. Feel like I have to try Control again now. Maybe I was just in a bad mood when I played it the first time.

But yeah if there's a Quantum Break 2 I'm there day 1 no question. So many cool plot points. So many cool uses of time manipulation in a few of the gun fights when the enemies you fight shift based on the time stutters kicking off and on. Never gets old to freeze someone and pile up 30 shots that just hit them all at once. Definitely still some rough edges in terms of platforming, aiming, controls. But the rest is just so creative you end up forgiving it.

Honestly shocked at how underrated this game is. The Xbox One sure had a rough gen man. On my short list for like top 3 best sci fi games, top time travel game ever, and like top 5 best TPS ever. Feel like I have to try Control again now. Maybe I was just in a bad mood when I played it the first time.

But yeah if there's a Quantum Break 2 I'm there day 1 no question. So many cool plot points. So many cool uses of time manipulation in a few of the gun fights when the enemies you fight shift based on the time stutters kicking off and on. Never gets old to freeze someone and pile up 30 shots that just hit them all at once. Definitely still some rough edges in terms of platforming, aiming, controls. But the rest is just so creative you end up forgiving it.

You just reminded me of the platforming .. yeah that was roug

Problem with Control is the metroidvania aspect ...if you suck at figuring out where to go like I do (the shitty map doesn't help) than you really start to fatigue from what feels like the same gunfights against the same 5 diff types of enemies.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M

Sounds like most remedy games to me.

Connxtion

A own the game, but I really wished this would have been one of the improved XB1 games. But it never got that treatment.

Great game hampered by 30FPS and ghosting due to the reconstruction. Gameplay was nice though.

I just wish there was an arena mode like Max Payne 2 had, would have made the game last a lot longer.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned

Didn't you feel like actually making it to the gameplay before writing off the gameplay?

There's a show, but I'm not sure if that's combined with the game? If so, license?

We all assume exclusives don't leave the service because it doesn't make sense for them to do so, but have MS ever said this?
It’s likely something like that, some of the characters in the game are using the actor's likeness. So MS doesn't fully own the rights to some of the character models.
There's the actor recently dead... maybe legal stuff like...was lost judgement that they have deleted the pc version bc the lawyers of an actor?
The lawyers could have revoked the use of Lance Reddick's likeness for his character in game.

Anyone wanting to play this game might want to buy soon as if this is the reason why it could also be removed from the store.

Last edited:
Yeah, it’s really just down to money with stuff like this. I imagine the play rates on Game Pass for this game were very low, and so Microsoft prolly didn’t see any desire to want to spend money to keep it on the service, if rights were expiring.

Remedy could always do a 4K remaster at some point, rerelease it, and drive up interest again. But I doubt they’d want to do a sequel.

Last edited:

acm2000

great game, loved all of it bar the final boss which was a little weird.

goot bar 2 achievements, cant be arsed to play through each level on hard more to finish up

Camreezie

Hopefully going multiplatform

Come Here Dr Evil GIF

Brock2621

I just finished this game over the weekend and actually REALLY enjoyed it. I suppose my expectations weren't great going in because of all the negative press around it but I was pleasantly surprised.

Top Bottom