• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break Unmarked Spoiler Thread

TheKeyPit

Banned
@Fuchsdh
You need to find one of the many documents. One explains that thanks to the CFR the scientists could have worked in the Life Boat for possibly ~200 years, if I'm not mistaken.

--------

And yeah. Beth's story is tragic pure, but that's what I like about this story. From the once perfect soldier to the broken Beth.

Trup1aya

@Fuchsdh
You need to find one of the many documents. One explains that thanks to the CFR the scientists could have worked in the Life Boat for possibly ~200 years, if I'm not mistaken.

--------

And yeah. Beth's story is tragic pure, but that's what I like about this story. From the once perfect soldier to the broken Beth.

One can't help but think that if Paul, Will and Beth would have had a nice sit down with each other, they would have agreed that Serene's plan was viable.

The problem is, 2021 was known to be the end date, so closing the 2016 fracture had to happen. Will could have had Monarch manufacturing CFRs and they could have made time harnesses for everyone!

shandy706

To be fair, Paul really wasn't insane. To him Beth was a crazy woman from the future trying to murder him. Then she was a obstacle in his mission to make sure that time carried on past 2021.

Paul's story is just as tragic as hers. He too, tried to prevent disasters and failed. And they both came to the conclusion that the past couldn't be changed. They just had differing beliefs on what should be done about 2021.

In fact, everyone has a tragic story, really. All of the experts on timetravel end up making the exact same mistakes; thinking they alter the course of time.

Eh...by the time she's shot he's darn near crazy..haha.

He doesn't want to listen to reason. I suppose you're right in that a LOT of the stories are absolutely tragic.

I mean come on..they're killing off people that are trying to save their babies/family. I hope we find out more about Hatch. Whatever his objective is, he doesn't care who gets in the way.

I missed him at the start of the game my first play-through. The second time I talked to him..then I kept the camera on him. You can keep the camera pointed at him and he doesn't ever disappear, no matter how far I got from him. The second you spin the camera though...bam, gone.

Trup1aya

Eh...by the time she's shot he's darn near crazy..haha.

He doesn't want to listen to reason. I suppose you're right in that a LOT of the stories are absolutely tragic.

I mean come on..they're killing off people that are trying to save their babies/family. I hope we find out more about Hatch. Whatever his objective is, he doesn't care who gets in the way.

I missed him at the start of the game my first play-through. The second time I talked to him..then I kept the camera on him. You can keep the camera pointed at him and he doesn't ever disappear, no matter how far I got from him. The second you spin the camera though...bam, gone.

It's actually the 'good guys' are the ones who won't listen to reason. They all (except for Jack) seem to accept the fact that what is done can't be undone. Beth and Serene both saw the 2021 end of time is a reality. so Beth should know that there is nothing she can do prior to 2021 that will change the outcome. .

The only logical solution would be to make preparations so that the fracture can be repaired after the 2021 event.

Even Will starts to realize their error after activating the CFR. Jack goes on about how they saved the world and Will's somber response is "Did we?"

That's what's most tragic about Beth's character. She spends her entire life trying to prevent the inevitable. She even lectures Jack on futility. Then, she ends up dying trying to prevent the inevitable

shandy706

It's actually the 'good guys' are the ones who won't listen to reason. They all (except for Jack) seem to accept the fact that what is done can't be undone. Beth and Serene both saw the 2021 end of time is a reality. so Beth should know that there is nothing she can do prior to 2021 that will change the outcome. .

The only logical solution would be to make preparations so that the fracture can be repaired after the 2021 event.

Even Will starts to realize their error after activating the CFR. Jack goes on about how they saved the world and Will's somber response is "Did we?"

That's what's most tragic about Beth's character. She spends her entire life trying to prevent the inevitable. She even lectures Jack on futility. Then, she ends up dying trying to prevent the inevitable

Yeah, I certainly see and get that...still no reason for Paul to shoot her in the face. >:/. I still think his sanity (perhaps all of them in some way), was long gone.

Granted, how sane would we be in the same situation...

I'm going to do my second play-through and see how I feel again after it. 20+ hours in the first, I've not played a single game this much in a loooong time.

Isn't Beth at the End of Time with Paul (2021)?

Does this mean that Will eventually saves her and Paul such that they are back for the 2021 party (hunting each other IIRC)?

This is the only part of the 'nothing can't be changed' I'm not sure about.

Trup1aya

Isn't Beth at the End of Time with Paul (2021)?

Does this mean that Will eventually saves her and Paul such that they are back for the 2021 party (hunting each other IIRC)?

This is the only part of the 'nothing can't be changed' I'm not sure about.

In 2021 it will be past Beth and past Paul who arrive from 2016. They will then go back to 1999, and Paul will eventually kill her in 2010 (again).

Yeah, I certainly see and get that...still no reason for Paul to shoot her in the face. >:/. I still think his sanity (perhaps all of them in some way), was long gone.

Granted, how sane would we be in the same situation...

I'm going to do my second play-through and see how I feel again after it. 20+ hours in the first, I've not played a single game this much in a loooong time.

Remember Beth tries to kill him first, and that's before he ever new what the Hell was going on. :)

Can't say I'd see her as anything but a threat from that point on.

But yeah, I could get with the idea that they are all mentally unstable. Being tasked with saving the world is probably a bit stressful.

derFeef

I finally finshed it. I certainly did not grasp everything, I need to replay it once more I guess. Loved the end credits scene, good stuff.

Burke's death in the game was depressing, I felt terrible killing him. Not sure if different choices would make a different outcome or not watching the show would make such an impact on that scene.

Cth

The question of chronon harvesting and expenditure is an interesting one. The dampners actually destroy chronons, which I missed on my first play through. We don't ever really learn what kind of energy usage all the weapons and harnesses use in comparison to all the years of harvesting them. We do know theoretically if they'd been able to keep to the timeline the lifeboat team would have had decades of safety, but I don't think there's ever a hard number given for how long the aborted team would have, nor whether all the time travel and manipulation affects the amount of chronons available.

There was a bonus note/email/whatever that said something similar.. she wanted them to stop researching one avenue and put it towards the lifeboat as the expediture was out spending what they were saving.

Of course I'm misremembering exact details, so hopefully someone can chime in.

Chobel

Alright, remember when we meet Beth for the first time, Jack (as a narrator) says it is not the first time she saw him. When/where did she see him for the first time?

Cth

Alright, remember when we meet Beth for the first time, Jack (as a narrator) says it is not the first time she saw him. When/where did she see him for the first time?

I think her diary details those moments.

She tries to save his parents, causing it to happen, sees him at the funeral.

I thought I remembered her seeing him drunk at some celebration once also, but I may be misremembering that.

She keeps tabs on him after she goes back to 1999.

Her timeline goes something like:

2016: runs into Jack > Sent to End of Time, then ends up back in 1999 > Watches Jack (past Jack, although I guess he'd be present day Jack technically?) from a distance > Reunites with 2016 Jack when he goes back in time to 2010, which is where the countermeasure is activated, creating Ground Zero and Future Beth is killed.

So Future Beth has seen present day Jack in the past, although I guess that present day Beth hasn't? I've probably fucked that up, my brain isn't really working properly because it's late and I can't sleep. Trying to think about this is making my head hurt

TheKeyPit

Banned

What if I tell you that the End of Time is really the end? No fixing. I'll post some stuff from the book later today.

-------

Also, present Beth was told by future Beth to look for Jack, but to not contact him.

Trup1aya

What if I tell you that the End of Time is really the end? No fixing. I'll post some stuff from the book later today.

-------

Also, present Beth was told by future Beth to look for Jack, but to not contact him.

I'd believe you. I didn't say it would work, I said it was logical ;)

I'm gonna have to read this damn book

Alx

I can finally enter this thread and discuss the topic. :p
What, there is a Quantum Break book ? I guess I need to read it now. :)

I agree with Trup1aya's opinion above, Serene's plan makes sense and is probably the safest way to deal with the end of time. Trying to mend the fracture is almost pointless (or at best a temporary solution) since we know the end of time is happening. Seeing Jack Joyce doing his best to ruin Paul's plans was actually infuriating during the game, especially when all chronon/time travel experts tell him "no Jack, you cannot change time, it already happened !".

Anyway, since Will seems to be an expert in chronon theory and technology, it would have made more sense to get him in the Lifeboat and study that stuff, instead of trying to rob/kill him. Although he may not be that good since he thought he had fixed everything when he didn't. Anyway, with the other scientists in the Lifeboat he would have all the time he wanted to discuss his theory and suggestions, and getting them to work.

I also don't understand Burke's reasoning. I guess he didn't understand the real danger humanity was facing, because why would he want his pregnant wife to be stuck in a research lab for at least 17 years (I think that was the estimated minimum subjective time to fix the fracture), rather than be kept frozen in time while other people work on a solution ? Being frozen even protects you from shifters.

derFeef

Man, I really wanted the shifters to take a larger role. Maybe a part of the game was cut, which I often thought during my playthrough. Like a part is missing, or the end comes too soon. Especially since the game kicks off the story in Act 3 for real.

Alx

I think it's both frustrating and great not to really see any shifter in the game (only proto-shifters like Jack and Paul). Reading about them was reaaaaally creepy, and I was really nervous about my first encounter with them. I'm almost relieved it didn't happen. It's like those stories about monsters in the dark, everybody tells them, nobody sees them, you only see the aftermath of their actions.

Trup1aya

I can finally enter this thread and discuss the topic. :p
What, there is a Quantum Break book ? I guess I need to read it now. :)

I agree with Trup1aya's opinion above, Serene's plan makes sense and is probably the safest way to deal with the end of time. Trying to mend the fracture is almost pointless (or at best a temporary solution) since we know the end of time is happening. Seeing Jack Joyce doing his best to ruin Paul's plans was actually infuriating during the game, especially when all chronon/time travel experts tell him "no Jack, you cannot change time, it already happened !".

Anyway, since Will seems to be an expert in chronon theory and technology, it would have made more sense to get him in the Lifeboat and study that stuff, instead of trying to rob/kill him. Although he may not be that good since he thought he had fixed everything when he didn't. Anyway, with the other scientists in the Lifeboat he would have all the time he wanted to discuss his theory and suggestions, and getting them to work.

I also don't understand Burke's reasoning. I guess he didn't understand the real danger humanity was facing, because why would he want his pregnant wife to be stuck in a research lab for at least 17 years (I think that was the estimated minimum subjective time to fix the fracture), rather than be kept frozen in time while other people work on a solution ? Being frozen even protects you from shifters.

I think Beth, Will and Serene all handled their situations incorrectly, but logically, given their perspective.

Beth had every reason to mistrust Serene because very convincing a lady from the future told her to when she was 6.

Will had every reason to mistrust Serene because a very convincing lady from the future told him to for the last 17 years, and Serene broke time, and Serene sent thugs to kill him, and Serene tried to crush him with building debri.

Serene had no reason to trust Beth, because she came no where with some high tech hear, trying to murder him.

Serene tried to convince will to join, him, but Will refused. He needed to kill will in order for his plan to have a shot at succeeding. Not simply shooting will in the head was his biggest mistake.

As far as Burke's reasoning, I think it's safe to say that being outside of the lifeboat, even while time was frozen would be dangerous. if the boat-bridge collision, or the train-building collision are any indication, objects all over the planet would collide violently as their timelines crossed sporadically.

You don't want to be outside of the lifeboat.

Alx

Good points all around. So it was all Beth's fault for making everyone mistrust each other, including herself. :p
I need to check more stuff about Charlie and Fiona too. I may not remember everything but I don't get how they could have a strong stand one way or another. Fiona is Beth's friend I think, so I guess she trusts her (Beth's fault again). But Charlie is clearly out of his element and should have stayed away from all that stuff, realistically.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Lifeboat
I want to add something to the posts above. The idea of the Lifeboat Protocol is the best chance they get to survive the End of Time( I'll use it a couple of times in this post, so I'll just call it EoT from now on). Small regions at the EoT where humans can live on, but that's it. They'll never fix time completely. Look at what they needed to fix a fracture. They needed the Counter Measure to fix a hole. What will they need to kickstart time? One huge Chronon Bomb for sure.

Book
"Both she and Will agreed that once a potential future was witnessed that future then became inevitable."

- The same thing as a set past. Once you see something happen in Quantum Break, it can't be changed/undone.

Beth: "Hear me out. My Younger Self gives my Older Self the detonation times. My Older Self sets the bombs to those times. The bombs detonate. As they detonate my Older Self notes the exact timing of the explosions and writes them down in a new book. [...] My Older Self then gives my Younger Self this new book. My Younger Self transcribes those times into her own new book - the one that is a precise copy of the old book her Older Self gave her when she was eleven, so that she can in turn give it to her Younger Self, in 1999, when she becomes her Older Self. Then that eleven-year old Younger Self grows and becomes that same Older Self... an here we are."
Jack: "If I'm understanding this... that doesn't make sense. I mean, there has to be a point somewhere in there when that happens for the first time, right? When you don't have any of that information? When you can't set the bombs for the right times?"
Beth: "Yes and no. Yes, and this is the first time, right now. And no, there is never a moment when I don't have the information. How much do you know about this stuff?"
Jack: "I skimmed a Terminator argument on Reddit once."
Beth: "No. The bottom line is: it works. The paradox is acounted for or factored out, because the behavior of fundamental particles on the quantum scale under certain conditions aren't strictly deterministic. They follow 'fuzzy rules'."
Jack: "What?"
Beth: "General relativity works just fine for predicting paradoxes, but once those paradoxes are considered in, or subjected to, quantum mechanical terms they pretty much vanish - provided causality is maintained."

- That's their way to explain the paradoxes :D

Beth
Someone in this thread has mentioned it already, but I wanted to get a lot more into details: The only way for Jack to fullfill his "I'll come back for you" promise to Beth.

First: Lets say it's May 2nd 2012 6:01 AM. Person X travels 5 years into the future. No matter how long that person stays there, that person can travel right back to May 2nd 2012 6:02 right after past-self goes into the future. Person X has only been away for a minute.

Future Beth spent 11 years in the past from 1999 until 2010. She could have disappeared for a minute in that time(like in my example) and noone would have noticed it.

Something happens to Beth between 1999 and 2010 that changes her completely. She doesn't really say a thing about it to Jack. But I'll estimate that something happend a couple of months before Jack arrived in 2010.

What happened?
A future Jack from 2016+ came back for her and fullfilled his "I'll come back for you" promise.

Why?
Jack needs Beth's help for whatever reason. That's up for speculation, but in the end I think that something terrible had to happen, which left Beth so "wrecked", so hopeless.

Why can Jack only come back for Future Beth, who is stuck in 1999-2010?
Beth's destiny was set from the very point her Younger Self met her Older Self up until the point where Older Beth lands in 1999 to tell Will about the Counter Measure + meet her Younger Self. From that point on Jack could come back for her.

Trup1aya

That's really great stuff. I remember at one point Beth was supposed to be a playable character. I'd really like to witness some of the stuff she's been through, but I guess her lack of time abilities would make her gameplay less interesting.

With Regards to Jack coming back for her, I guess it's possible that Jack visited her at some point between, 1999 and 2010.

Maybe he told her about Serene killing her, naively thinking that having this knowledge would allow her to be saved. And when she reunites with the younger Jack in 2010, she's distraught because she knows her demise is near.

TheKeyPit

Banned
^As soon as we settle on a future Jack coming for her between 1999-2010 + knowing that she's distraught when Jack lands in 2010, we can start speculating for all kinds of theories what could've happend then. I already formed some possible scenarios that I'll share later on. Too much text for now :D

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
There's an email that makes it clear Hatch has been manipulating Burke so he becomes unhinged. Hatch pulls Burke out of the Striker program before Burke fully understood Monarchs plan. He only knows bits and pieces of what's going on so when he hears about the Lifeboat Protocol he knows enough to figure out this is what Monarch will use to save themselves from some doomsday scenario, but not enough to know what any of it really means. At that point he believes Monarch are the only ones who can save people from the end and his only concern is saving himself and his wife no matter what the cost. Hatch knew how this would play out from the start and pulls Burke from the Striker program to put him in that position.

Killthee

Did Jack become a shifter? he does not show signs of the chronos symptoms in the interview anymore.
He has the syndrome but hasnt fully become a shifter yet. Hatch mentions to him at the end that they both know he has certain needs Monarch can help with which then triggers Jack's first Junction Point. He's shifting between the timeline and getting a glimpse at where his choices will lead him when the game ends.

Paul's dreams also imply that Jack eventually becomes a shifter. One of his dream log entries talks about transforming into a shifter and mentions Jack and Dr Kim being by his side after his transformation.

Alx

There's an email that makes it clear Hatch has been manipulating Burke so he becomes unhinged. Hatch pulls Burke out of the Striker program before Burke fully understood Monarchs plan. He only knows bits and pieces of what's going on so when he hears about the Lifeboat Protocol he knows enough to figure out this is what Monarch will use to save themselves from some doomsday scenario, but not enough to know what any of it really means. At that point he believes Monarch are the only ones who can save people from the end and his only concern is saving himself and his wife no matter what the cost. Hatch knew how this would play out from the start and pulls Burke from the Striker program to put him in that position.

That makes sense. Poor guy got completely played.
By the way I made the choices that had you fight him in the last act, and I was so disappointed by that part. Burke had been a badass killer all along (sometimes even unrealistically so), but that fight was just both of us running/dashing around desks and shooting at each other. And he wasn't more of a threat than the common shotgun wielding guy.

That makes sense. Poor guy got completely played.
By the way I made the choices that had you fight him in the last act, and I was so disappointed by that part. Burke had been a badass killer all along (sometimes even unrealistically so), but that fight was just both of us running/dashing around desks and shooting at each other. And he wasn't more of a threat than the common shotgun wielding guy.

He was half dead by that point tbf

TheKeyPit

Banned
Hmmm, I can get this on Amazon Prime for $11 new shipped 2 day.

Worth it?

Wanna mail me your copy? Haha

I'd do it, but it's an e-book :p

If you really like Quantum Break's story and want a little bit more detailed and alternative story, I'd fully recommend it. (I paid ~5$ for the e-book)

shandy706

I'd do it, but it's an e-book :p

If you really like Quantum Break's story and want a little bit more detailed and alternative story, I'd fully recommend it. (I paid ~5$ for the e-book)

Ah, is that $5 version still available somewhere?

I found it for $9....I'd do $5, but would rather have physical at $9+.

SomTervo

The note on Serenes desk when you investigate the building as Jack more or less states that Hatch is a Shifter.

It mentions learning to exist in a specific time and place, and controlling the shifting ability. Which also explains why Hatch wants to see Serene fall. He wants to make it a world for Shifters.

He's basically the Doctor Manhattan of Quantum Break.

It's awesome.

Jack has the syndrome but hasnt fully become a shifter yet. Hatch mentions to him at the end that they both know he has certain needs Monarch can help with which then triggers Jack's first Junction Point. He's shifting between the timeline and getting a glimpse at where his choices will lead him when the game ends.

Paul's dreams also imply that Jack eventually becomes a shifter. One of his dream log entries talks about transforming into a shifter and mentions Jack and Dr Kim being by his side after his transformation.

Damn, I misse that one. Fucking awesome.

It's so set up for a sequel. I hope they don't take too long to turn it around...

sertopico

Mmhh... The fact is they never walked inside the machine, so why should they be there? You think they're just memories?

Zedox

Beth
Someone in this thread has mentioned it already, but I wanted to get a lot more into details: The only way for Jack to fullfill his "I'll come back for you" promise to Beth.

First: Lets say it's May 2nd 2012 6:01 AM. Person X travels 5 years into the future. No matter how long that person stays there, that person can travel right back to May 2nd 2012 6:02 right after past-self goes into the future. Person X has only been away for a minute.

Future Beth spent 11 years in the past from 1999 until 2010. She could have disappeared for a minute in that time(like in my example) and noone would have noticed it.

Something happens to Beth between 1999 and 2010 that changes her completely. She doesn't really say a thing about it to Jack. But I'll estimate that something happend a couple of months before Jack arrived in 2010.

What happened?
A future Jack from 2016+ came back for her and fullfilled his "I'll come back for you" promise.

Why?
Jack needs Beth's help for whatever reason. That's up for speculation, but in the end I think that something terrible had to happen, which left Beth so "wrecked", so hopeless.

Why can Jack only come back for Future Beth, who is stuck in 1999-2010?
Beth's destiny was set from the very point her Younger Self met her Older Self up until the point where Older Beth lands in 1999 to tell Will about the Counter Measure + meet her Younger Self. From that point on Jack could come back for her.

I think you may be referring to me. This is what I said a couple pages back.

I have a hypothesis in which Jack can "save" Beth but still satisfy the closed loop.

Jack goes back in time to "save" Beth after she went back in time (1999) after being at the End of Time. Then since the time machine is still made, they use that time machine to go to a future a little bit after jack left to save her (just like he did to "save the world") and they live happily ever after, until something happens in that future (maybe Jack dies or something crazy, like maybe become a Shifter) and Beth goes back in time to stop it from happening (just like jack does to save beth) but she fails to do so and is stuck in a time after 1999 but before jack comes back to save her (for some reason the time machine doesn't work anymore).

She remembers what he told her about her dying, and realizing with her trying to change the past before when she first went to 1999 and seeing as she couldn't stop it by coming back again, she's stuck in that mindset in which we see her in QB1 where she has doubt and is lost in the sauce of being fucked and there's nothing she can do about it. She remembers the good times she and Jack had but goes on this path even though she knows she'll die. She's lost hope twice but goes on anyways because it's all apart of the plan just so she can experience those good times again within the loop.

It would really pain me to see that happen to her but it would definitely be something I can see happen and satisfy Remedy's rules. That is...until Hatch fucks up yo shit.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Do you have any clue about the people walking inside the time machine right before the final boss fight? Do you think these are older Beth versions?

A couple of pics:
https://vjwira.dm2301.livefilestore.../Quantum Break 21_04_2016 23_09_22.png?psid=1
https://vjwira.dm2301.livefilestore.../Quantum Break 21_04_2016 23_12_34.png?psid=1

Yeah, no clue :/

I think you may be referring to me. This is what I said a couple pages back.

Yep, it was you :) This would be one of the best things that could happen in a game story. ;(

sertopico

Yeah, no clue :/
Well, guess we need to wait for QB2, or an expansion.

Anyway, in some of the game footage showed before the release there was a level set into a natural history museum which is no longer here, so probably there will be some DLC.

Trup1aya

Well, guess we need to wait for QB2, or an expansion.

Anyway, in some of the game footage showed before the release there was a level set into a natural history museum which is no longer here, so probably there will be some DLC.

I hope so, I really need a fix

Alx

I started the game from scratch in a (failed) attempt to unlock an achievement that is stuck, and the game is a walk in the park when you're familiar with all the moves. I've finished the first three acts without even upgrading my abilities, and my only death was because I was standing too close to a car when it exploded.
The game could really do with a "very hard" mode. I started by using the shotgun a lot (very fun to dash close to an opponent and blast his guts at pinpoint), but I discovered a new love for the carbine, it's very effective even against heavies.
*edit - oops, wrong thread

Killthee

How is he suppose to come back for Beth I need a sequel?
1.) Jack could come back during that 11 year period Beth is stuck in the past and learn he can't change anything. 2021/End of Time occurs as predicted.
2.) They could make Beth a shifter. IIRC Dr Kim became a shifter when he messed with the CFR and accidentally opened it. Beth got hit with the chronon energy inside the CFR before Paul shot her and we don't see what happens to her body. If they make her a shifter then Paul only killed one version of Beth but didn't do enough damage to kill shifter-Beth for good.
3.) Jack can learn how to change time. Reset everything so End of Time never occurs, but sets in motion something in the past so past Jack can meet past Beth.

Finished the game last night after about 8 attempts at the final boss fight. Jaysus that was a nonsense battle.

I'm assuming that the confusion about when the end of time happened (i.e. the calculations saying it was happening very soon, while Paul believed it was happening in 2020+) is based on there being an eventual sequel. That is, that at some point in the future, Martin etc will continue their nefarious plan to end time for unexplained reasons along with other unnamed shifter wierdos. Paul and whatsherface in the future went into the events of Quantum Break 2's final moments. Paul's plan created the 2016 time break, which he was not aware of the existence of up to that point.

Finished the game last night after about 8 attempts at the final boss fight. Jaysus that was a nonsense battle.

I'm assuming that the confusion about when the end of time happened (i.e. the calculations saying it was happening very soon, while Paul believed it was happening in 2020+) is based on there being an eventual sequel. That is, that at some point in the future, Martin etc will continue their nefarious plan to end time for unexplained reasons along with other unnamed shifter wierdos. Paul and whatsherface in the future went into the events of Quantum Break 2's final moments. Paul's plan created the 2016 time break, which he was not aware of the existence of up to that point.

What did you think of the game overall? (Minus shitty final battle)

What did you think of the game overall? (Minus shitty final battle)

Good but frustratingly short. It wasn't super short in an absolute sense, but large sections were the TV show or cutscenes. They probably could have added in a score attack / scenario mode. Play as Paul Serene in a Monarch combat simulator or something. Maybe there's some levels where Martin is testing Paul's powers in the early days and sets up puzzle rooms as well. No cutscenes or story, just dump me in the room and let me play the game more. Whatever the rationale for it is, the gameplay was tight but there just needed to be more of it.

The game was a mess technically, extreme ghosting and on my PC version I had to run it in slightly-windowed-mode to avoid unplayably low framerates - the game would crawl to about 5fps on my 980ti if it was fullscreen 1080p. You set it to non-fullscreen, in an actual window (like you can see the start button and such at the bottom), and it runs relatively smooth. Ridiculous. There was also the loltacular issue (possibly caused by going above 30fps) of any object that characters were holding up to their heads would get stuck, and then teleport to catch up to the character. This happened with earpieces on Jack and Paul, you'd see the earpiece just hanging an inch or two behind their head then catch up to their head when they stopped moving. Also happened to Jack's (I think it was jack, was over a week ago and memory is fuzzy) cell phone when he was on the phone to someone early on.

Graphics other than the reconstruction ghosting and blurriness were very good. It's just a shame there isn't a no-comprimises version like I was hoping the PC would be, with full 1080p and no temporal techniques (irony? irony).

Top Bottom