• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

question about ps4-5 purchases and usage.

ksdixon

I know the BC talk of ps4 games on PS5 talked about finding the PS4 game on the store and converting it to ps5... But what about if I want the PS5 in one room and PS4 in another. Can I hop from one to the other playing the same digital purchased ps4 game, and just overwrite my cloud save, ready for when I sit down at the other machine?

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I know the BC talk of ps4 games on PS5 talked about finding the PS4 game on the store and converting it to ps5... But what about if I want the PS5 in one room and PS4 in another. Can I hop from one to the other playing the same digital purchased ps4 game, and just overwrite my cloud save, ready for when I sit down at the other machine?
It doesn't sound like all saves will be cloud transferable. It's probably going to be a per game feature at launch. You might be able to transfer over wifi between the consoles. Not really sure at the moment.

I think if you are playing a PS4 only game you will be fine, the saves will work. Even PS Now saves let you use the cloud and console versions of the same save. The issue is when games get a PS5 upgrade version, then usually the save files become incompatible.

v_iHuGi

Banned

You can use Wi-Fi to easily transfer saves from Ps4 to Ps5 or vice-versa, you can also use the Cloud with PS Plus or just a regular Ethernet Cable which will give you insane speeds of transfer.

You can use both copies at the same time, only buy once. They´ll act as two separate games, 1 for Ps4 other for Ps5.

Some games won´t let you upgrade for the Ps5 version, Black Ops Cold War regular edition is not compatible per example.

Most games will enable you to upgrade and have 2 copies while only buying the game once, most games will also have cross-save too.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Thankfully I haven't even started most of the PS4 games I want to play on PS5 yet.

Spiderman I'm doubtful will transfer which is annoying because I wanted to do an Ultimate difficulty NG+ run on PS5, it seems like its classed as a whole new release, like DMC 5:SE, but who knows.

I'm half-way through Ghost of Tsushima so I'd hope I can transfer that one but if I have to restart it won't be the end of the world because I want to see everything in 60 fps anyway and I bet I could redo everything I did (in 25 hours) in ~10hours anyway because I walked around and looked at EVERYTHING and I won't be doing that this time.

Oh man I really wish the GoT PS5 BC details will come out soon because I really just want to finish it on my PS4 suddenly. I just played like five (5) Mario games in a row and I need some blood lol.

Last edited:

v_iHuGi

Banned
Thankfully, I haven't even started most of the PS4 games I want to play on PS5 yet.

Spiderman I'm doubtful will transfer which is annoying because I wanted to do an Ultimate difficulty NG+ run on PS5, it seems like its classed as a whole new release, like DMC 5:SE, but who knows.

I'm half-way through Ghost of Tsushima so I'd hope I can transfer that one but if I have to restart it won't be the end of the world because I want to see everything in 60 fps anyway and I bet I could redo everything I did (in 25 hours) in ~10hours anyway because I walked around and looked at EVERYTHING and I won't be doing that this time.

Oh man I really wish the GoT PS5 BC details will come out soon because I really just want to finish it on my PS4 suddenly. I just played like five (5) Mario games in a row and I need some blood lol.

Spider-Man Remaster is considered a brand new game so it is up to Insomniac to let you carry the saves but i guess they won´t, because the game might have new/different trophies.

Ghost of Tsushima is not upgradable (but it´ll have a 60fps mode), you´ll play it through Ps4 BC Mode, so same save files as Ps4 version, you can play both games on any PlayStation Device since Ps4 (2013), carry from where you were just a moment ago even if you change Console.

devilNprada

Thankfully I haven't even started most of the PS4 games I want to play on PS5 yet.

Spiderman and GOT are confirmed already

devilNprada

I think some will, the Gaas ones almost certainly will

Game saves are incompatible and its up to the individual developers is the only given.

I am not sure how PS5 saves to PS4 work..
If you make the PS4 save forward compatable does it then work vice versa?

Skyfox

This thread perfectly illustrates the inconvenience for the customer caused by Sony's greed.

Whether a game is updated for ps5 or not should not impact saves.

PS4 and PS5 are not like a gamecube compared to a super Nintendo. They are sufficiently compatible to allow the same title to work on both machines with graphical changes.

This is a business problem and Sony as platform holder should have done more.

Instead, they've dived headfirst into the same mess with their own exclusives. No solutions, no consideration for loyal real life customers.

ReBurn

Gold Member
This thread perfectly illustrates the inconvenience for the customer caused by Sony's greed.

Whether a game is updated for ps5 or not should not impact saves.

PS4 and PS5 are not like a gamecube compared to a super Nintendo. They are sufficiently compatible to allow the same title to work on both machines with graphical changes.

This is a business problem and Sony as platform holder should have done more.

Instead, they've dived headfirst into the same mess with their own exclusives. No solutions, no consideration for loyal real life customers.
Do we even know for certain that it's impossible for game saves to go both ways?

Top Bottom