• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Question on my first HDTV

Somnia

I just bought http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/tv_cat2?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

A few quick questions as this will be my first HDTV.

XBox 360 related: Should I use the component cables or should I go VGA since it does support VGA? Also what reso should I set my 360 to? 1280x768?

Not 360 related: For my dvd player I know I just hook my component cables up to the tv ,but for my digital cable box do I just hook the cable cord from the box to the tv? It does say DVR/HDTV on the box and there are what appear to be component slots (blue/green). Thanks in advance =)

golem

component should be fine for a TV, since it will scale the signal from the Xbox (720p) to its native resolution. However, if you want the Xbox to do the scaling for you, you can use the VGA cable (not sure which scaler is better... shoudl be about the same though)

for Cable, if you have a HD cable box you'll want to use either the Component or HDMI/DVI hookup as well. if you just hook the Cable directly to the TV, i would guess you'll only get basic analog channels...

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Somnia said:
I just bought http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/tv_cat2?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

A few quick questions as this will be my first HDTV.

XBox 360 related: Should I use the component cables or should I go VGA since it does support VGA? Also what reso should I set my 360 to? 1280x768?

Not 360 related: For my dvd player I know I just hook my component cables up to the tv ,but for my digital cable box do I just hook the cable cord from the box to the tv? It does say DVR/HDTV on the box and there are what appear to be component slots (blue/green). Thanks in advance =)

VGA costs a bunch but on those Dell LCDs, you will enjoy significant improvement by using the pixel to pixel match you get with the VGA cable. And it frees up a component input, so you can plug the component/HDMI from your cable box into that. And yes, 1280x768 is ideal on most if not all of those sets.

Somnia

*edit spelling errors*
Thanks for the replys =) Havent delt with any form of HDTV yet so don't wanna screw anything up

Oneself

Instead of starting *another HDTV* thread I'll ask my question here:

What's the best way to hook up my PS2 using component cables to a HDTV? There must be a good Y Cb/Pb Cr/Pr to Y Pb Pr adapter uh?

rod

Banned
Oneself said:
Instead of starting *another HDTV* thread I'll ask my question here:

What's the best way to hook up my PS2 using component cables to a HDTV? There must be a good Y Cb/Pb Cr/Pr to Y Pb Pr adapter uh?

just get the ps2 component cables....?

Oneself

rod said:
just get the ps2 component cables....?

It would be cool if it was that easy. :)I have the component cables...

it's just that the PS2 is compatible for use with component video inputs, not inputs in HDTV format.

Rhindle

Oneself said:
It would be cool if it was that easy. :)I have the component cables...

it's just that the PS2 is compatible for use with component video inputs, not inputs in HDTV format.
Eh? PS2 over component to HDTVs works just fine. The TV will take care of the necessary sync adjustment and scaling, unless you have a very strange TV.

Oneself

Rhindle said:
Eh? PS2 over component to HDTVs works just fine. The TV will take care of the necessary sync adjustment and scaling, unless you have a very strange TV.

Not strange at all, it has the Y Pb Pr, VGA and HDMI inputs. It works fine with my Xb360, but the PS2 is using Y Cb/Pb Cr/Pr ....

Top Bottom