• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

QUICK~! Killer 7: Normal or Deadly?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just popped it in, what difficulty you recommend for a first-timer? I like a challenge, but will Deadly hinder or enhance the supposedly crappy gameplay of this thing?

teepo

i'm playing it on normal right now.

tried the first area in the game on deadly and i couldn't take it. i had no idea wtf was going on and you have to guess where the heaven smile's weak spot is.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
It's pretty neat how the music changes when highlighting the difficulty selections, actually the music is pretty great so far.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Start off with normal. I found Killer 7 to be a serious pain in the ass for the first mission or two just because I was trying to play it more like a FPS. Once you get the hang of the game then you should try out deadly mode.

And yeah the music is good. I like the guitar cue whenever you come across a puzzle.

Joe Molotov

I'd go for Normal. The spooky atmosphere, surreal storyline, and odd audio/video style are the main selling points anyway.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Just play Normal. You can always play the unlocked difficulty afterwards if you really want a challenge. Really.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I'd go for normal, even though it makes the game kinda super easy. Super easy cause the maps tell you which character you should be using. Without those clues, I'd imagine it could be a bit difficult solving puzzles if you don't know what each character's special ability is

And yeah, music rox. One of my favorite soundtracks of 2005

I played a bit on normal and I never had to use their special moves (when the screen flashes) the smiles died pretty easily and the puzzles are given to you half solved. I'd go with deadly. It's a pain trying to play as Garcian in anything other than normal though. But it hurts so good!

The hardest mode is ridiculous. I don't know if I'm up for that.

Wario64 said:
And yeah, music rox. One of my favorite soundtracks of 2005
Between this and Shadow of the Collosus 2005 was a good year for soundtracks. the insert art for the Killer 7 soundtrack was really cool as well, definitely not what one would think is videogame soundtrack.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Shinoobi said:
The hardest mode is ridiculous. I don't know if I'm up for that.

The trick to it is just to find someone you like and really focus on maxing their stats out ASAP for the much-needed auto-lock-on. Also, you can abuse you-know-who's weapon if you're farming blood.

nexes

I'm on chapter two on normal difficulty.

The difficulty was bothering me at first, but it was mostly because I didn't entirely understand how it the controls worked. It took me about an hour to realize that I could switch personas through the menu. And because of that, it didn't really hit me that the only way you can actually die is by losing Garcian.

So yeah, that was a bit frustrating. Now the mechanics are down, and it seems like smooth sailing. I'm really liking this so far. The music's great and the story has me interested.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Wario64 said:
I'd go for normal, even though it makes the game kinda super easy. Super easy cause the maps tell you which character you should be using. Without those clues, I'd imagine it could be a bit difficult solving puzzles if you don't know what each character's special ability is

I didn't even realize there was a map until I accidentally hit the button in the Elementary School chapter. :lol

Kyouji said:
The trick to it is just to find someone you like and really focus on maxing their stats out ASAP for the much-needed auto-lock-on.
You can get an auto-lock-on ability?! GODDAMIT!!!

Actually thinking about it, that sort of makes the game pointless. Half the challenge was hitting the weak points.

Bebpo

Banned
Play it on normal. The game is an adventure game at heart aka. Grim Fandango. You don't want the action getting in the way of enjoying the story/experience.

I even like the Japanese version the best where it auto-aims at the weak points for you so all you have to do is tap 2 buttons to kill an enemy :) (I guess you can unlock this with some characters in the US version. But in the JPN one everyone has it from the start).

And yeah, the soundtrack is top class.

Teddman

The gameplay isn't crappy, it just has a learning curve of an hour or so. Once you've gotten it down, you may feel the controls are tighter and more dialed-in than many FPSes. It's very streamlined to the core mechanics of a shooter.

teepo said:
i just beat the 3rd level. is it normal to not know wtf is going on with the story?
perfectly normal. Kind of like a Haruki Murakami (or Pynchon) novel. Just don't look anything up on line. Just enjoy it, the story is a part of the appeal.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
hard is way too hard if your a first timer

or if you havent played the game game in 5 months, heh

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
teepo said:
i just beat the 3rd level. is it normal to not know wtf is going on with the story?

dont worry, you'll beat the game and still not know what the hell is going on, haha.

thats half the fun!

it gets crazy interesting though, best story in years.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I wish there a way to demask the voices in the US version. Capcom could have had a Zero Wing situation in their hands

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Teddman said:
The gameplay isn't crappy, it just has a learning curve of an hour or so. Once you've gotten it down, you may feel the controls are tighter and more dialed-in than many FPSes. It's very streamlined to the core mechanics of a shooter.

I think my favorite part about this game was that thanks to the "rail-shooter" moving aspect I didn't waste time running around getting into pointless spots in the game. It never felt like I was lost, just that I hadn't figured out the puzzle yet. Everything was open to me, I just had to put 2 and 2 together. Also the camera angle was never really "bad" unless the forced one that made you have to go first person to see the shit going on.

Benadryl Hitman said:
You can get an auto-lock-on ability?! GODDAMIT!!!

Actually thinking about it, that sort of makes the game pointless. Half the challenge was hitting the weak points.
I don't know if there's another version, but the auto-lock I had only locked into the enemies chest or head, I forget.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Wario64 said:
It does? I never even paid attention to the map...I thought the puzzles were pretty easy to begin with though.

krzy123

Just played it a bit after putting it down for a week, ugh was rusty as crap... but so far in my first/current playthrough i think normal is the way to go..

All of you recommend normal? Different strokes for different folks...

And since it wasn't answered in the official thread

biodegradablebean said:
Edit2: OMG, you can buy a Dan Smith statue for 120 dollars.

Check it here: http://www.devil-dealer.bigstep.com/item.jhtml?UCIDs=1070784|1324665&PRID=1541383
Help me GAF. I'm thinking about buying that resin Dan statue. Am I reading this right? Are there really only 50 of these statues? Is it really 50lbs? Does anyone think it's a complete rip off?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Jive Turkey said:
It does? I never even paid attention to the map...I thought the puzzles were pretty easy to begin with though.

Hehe, yeah they show which character to use for each puzzle in the map. Kinda weaksauce but it didn't really kill the experience at all

I also noticed on hard mode, the weakpoint on the enemies don't show up unless it's near the aiming cursor. I forget if it's the same for normal mode

Also, gatekeeper music FOR THE FUCKING WIN

Joe Molotov

Shinoobi said:
All of you recommend normal? Different strokes for different folks...

And since it wasn't answered in the official thread

Help me GAF. I'm thinking about buying that resin Dan statue. Am I reading this right? Are there really only 50 of these statues? Is it really 50lbs? Does anyone think it's a complete rip off?

Unless they pulled a Spinal Tap, and that was supposed to be 6 feet tall instead of 6 inches tall, I don't think it weighs 50 pounds.

RevenantKioku

SantaCruZer said:
song is great, but it sounds like any other eurodisco/club song :p

weird that so many likes it.

I think the placement of it is well. It gets you pumped for the soon coming boss fight.

I just hang out in that room for a while until the best part of the song passes. Then I'm good to go.

doo do doo dooooo do do do doo doo do...

SantaCruZer said:

There is something just slightly off about the song, something just abit sinister. Plus where it happens, and the camera angles make it perfect.

SantaC

Billy Rygar said:
There is something just slightly off about the song, something just abit sinister. Plus where it happens, and the camera angles make it perfect.

as someone said, it get you pumped for the boss.

John Harker said:
The comics come out in Feb, right?
Oh shit. I didn't know about this. THANKS GAF.

Hm. It's Devil's Due, but still. Aha. The #0 issue was a free type deal, and released last year, around the same time as the game probably.. anyone see it? There's a five-page preview on ign. Kitchen scene.

krzy123

SantaCruZer said:

I love it too. Sounds like an 80s movie techno song to me, but its so out of place that it actually fits (in comparision to the rest of the music so far for me) ...

Top Bottom