• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Quo vadis] SteamOS: Vulkan, Steam Machines & Linux VS Consoles & Windows 10

Point is Linux isn't just some hackers tinkering kernel, it's a solid tried and tested piece of software. Also yes, Linux powers most of the internet. Google for a start, Amazon, PSN, probably even GAF.

No. People who operate servers are much more knowledgeable compared to the average consumers. This example is not suitable to illustrate the ease of use of Linux. Also, read carefully: He did not talk about Internet servers when he talked about servers. While I think Linux has a massive market share in many server areas, it is probably hard to calculate the market share for every server area.

And Android does run on the Linux Kernel, it's as much Linux as a GNU/Linux desktop is.

You can't just run any Linux application on an Android device. It is a heavily modified version of Linux. So I am not quite sure what the point of this example is. And if you want to turn SteamOS into the Android of PC gaming, think again. There are reasons why Android is so succesful with consumers, and why Linux on the desktop isn't.

I wrote my replies in bold directly in the quote for ease.

Now excuse me as I ignore your completely valueless opinion on the matter from here on out.

Why did you even bother to write this, when you say that you will ignore my response?

Glasshole

Banned
Gemüsepizza;197837043 said:
No. People who operate servers are much more knowledgeable compared to the average consumers. This example is not suitable to illustrate the ease of use of Linux. Also, read carefully: He did not talk about Internet servers when he talked about servers. While I think Linux has a massive market share in many server areas, it is probably hard to calculate the market share for every server area.

You can't just run any Linux application on an Android device. It is a heavily modified version of Linux. So I am not quite sure what the point of this example is. And if you want to turn SteamOS into the Android of PC gaming, think again. There are reasons why Android is so succesful with consumers, and why Linux isn't.

Wow. According to your sysadmin knowledge, do .deb packages run on every linux distro too?

Gemüsepizza;197837043 said:
Why did you even bother to write this, when you say that you will ignore my response?

Because I want to prevent the situation where some poor inexperienced bloke fresh on the internet reads your bull and takes it at face value, thus creating more ignorance in the world. But I only have so much patience, and I won't waste it on you. So if you want, you can claim Windows will heal cancer - I don't care.

Now back to topic please.

Wow. According to your sysadmin knowledge, do .deb packages run on every linux distro too?

Can we stop letting him derail this thread please?

The thing is, at some point the differences between your examples are so big, that they are not relevant to the topic being discussed here. I mean what has Android to do with PC gaming?

Also, just because someone has a different opinion than you, it doesn't mean that he/she is "derailing this thread".

Edit: The topic is:

[Quo vadis] SteamOS: Vulkan, Steam Machines & Linux VS Consoles & Windows 10

Talking about the advantages of Windows 10 compared to the competition is on-topic.

Can we stop letting him derail this thread please?

I'll give it a shot.

So I think that Valve has taken an interesting look at Linux support, specifically by jumping in earlier than pretty much anyone else. While I can't look at my crystal ball and tell you it will be a massive success aping Windows in the consumer space, I will say that other companies have proven that there is nothing inherent to Linux that makes such a thing impossible. That applies doubly so now that the Library of Linux games has significant - although not Windows-level - developer support.

We're in the equivalent era of what Steam looked like in 2007 or so, and the moves Valve has made seem to be the right ones thus far. That doesn't mean we'll see what happened with Steam in the succeeding decade, but the opportunity so far is not lost.

ricki42

Gemüsepizza;197835965 said:
While those efforts where bad, and you tried hard to pick the worst examples and ommitted Microsoft's succesful contributions to PC gaming, they show at least that they tried. That's more you can say about Linux devs.

Linux isn't a company. And Valve is contributing to gaming with SteamOS, a whole OS dedicated to the task. Shows that at least they are trying...

Comfort and convenience also means, for example, that you can have a similar experience regardless if you have a AMD or nvidia GPU in your PC.

This is not specific to Linux / SteamOS, nvidia and amd push their own features on Windows as well.

It also means you can choose games from your existing library of games and just play them. Or that you are being able to play a popular new game on day one without having to tinker with stupid crap, or wait for months/years.

Like Dark Souls? Or Tales of Symphonia? Or Batman: Arkham Knight?

That's not what I said. I said that this only describes the setup process. This does, for example, not include daily usage compared to Windows gaming.

When I want to play a game, I hit 'play' in Steam. I doubt this is much simpler on Windows. The library is currently smaller, but that's not what convenience means.

Glasshole

Banned
I have Windows (for gaming) and Linux on my laptop. Both have their pros and cons but Linux is getting better, slowly and surely, ar doing games. Both in terms of performance and Games availab.

Outside of gaming, they both have their plusses and minuses, but I am choosing to boot into Linux 90% of the time.

I'm running Ubuntu Gnome and it boots so quickly (about 4x as fast as Windows, without a slow period where stuff hangs for ages while everything 'warms up')

Ease-of-use is massively improving, you can install Gnome extensions to customise your desktop straight from the browser with 1-click and see them immediately take effect, it's like magic.

I still wouldn't trust someone to install it, but once a machine is set-up it's far less confusing for users vs Windows 10.

If SteamOS takes off, it's a win-win for the consumer.

Tldr; don't rule out Linux and SteamOS yet,but Windows does have its merrits.

Just my two cents.

This overlaps with my experience... First time I used Linux was OpenSUSE 10 I believe, so around 2005, and I remember it being miles behind Windows in terms of ergonomics, design and usability.

Nowadays I can install Fedora (for example) on 95% of the computers and it will run everything out of the box, the GUI is great for a fast workflow and it never crashes. The point is: The difference got so small to the point that I have to ask if it's even there. In many aspects of life and business, we have come to the conclusion that open systems are the future - Linux has been an extremely slow burner, but the more big corporate names get behind it (like IBM did in the server business), the more traction it could gain.

Just look at the success story Ubuntu has been.

Smart stuff with a lot of patience

I value your attempt, but look at the rest of this thread - don't feed the troll.

Linux isn't a company. And Valve is contributing to gaming with SteamOS, a whole OS dedicated to the task. Shows that at least they are trying...

The question is, is this enough? They do not have considerable influence on things like Linux kernel developement and other major aspects of OS development. While they can add their own modifications, one has to wonder if this is enough. Especially because their goal seems to be to make Linux in general more games-friendly, and not just SteamOS.

This is not specific to Linux / SteamOS, nvidia and amd push their own features on Windows as well.

Why should customers care about any excuses? You don't have any problems with AMD cards on Windows. You have on Linux.

Like Dark Souls? Or Tales of Symphonia? Or Batman: Arkham Knight?

What is this supposed to be? Yes, there are a few games which have caused some problems. But there are literally thousand games which don't run at all on Linux, and hundreds which cause much bigger problems

When I want to play a game, I hit 'play' in Steam. I doubt this is much simpler on Windows. The library is currently smaller, but that's not what convenience means.

This is exactly what convenience means. That you can access your existing library with one OS, instead of having to boot a different OS or using an emulator.

Teletraan1

Banned
After recently installing Linux on an older SSD it was fairly easy to setup and I had it running pretty much everything outside of games that I normally use on the same W10 PC without issue. It has come a long way in terms of ease of use since the last time I installed Linux which was around 5 years ago. If I had proper game support with comparable performance I would ditch windows going forward. As it was only a handful of my Steam library natively works in Linux and every game performs better natively in Windows on the same hardware. I hope that isn't the case in the future with these new APIs but I am not holding my breath. We still get poor ports on Windows.

Glasshole

Banned
After recently installing Linux on an older SSD it was fairly easy to setup and I had it running pretty much everything outside of games that I normally use on the same W10 PC without issue. It has come a long way in terms of ease of use since the last time I installed Linux which was around 5 years ago. If I had proper game support with comparable performance I would ditch windows going forward. As it was only a handful of my Steam library natively works in Linux and every game performs better natively in Windows on the same hardware. I hope that isn't the case in the future with these new APIs but I am not holding my breath. We still get poor ports on Windows.

We do still get poor ports on Windows, granted, but I think unification of development has never been closer than today. This isn't the PS2, N64 or Dreamcast era - the xbox one and ps4 are built around the same AMD Jaguar x86 architecture, which is, in theory, tons easier to port than PS3 or XBOX360 games were. The next logical step would be a unifying API- the ideal candidate for which, so far, would be Vulkan. So yeah, don't hold your breath yet, but maybe, just maybe, we're getting there.

ricki42

The next logical step would be a unifying API- the ideal candidate for which, so far, would be Vulkan. So yeah, don't hold your breath yet, but maybe, just maybe, we're getting there.

In addition, I think the most important step is that more and more developers start with multiplatform in mind. It's not just a matter of OpenGL or DX or Vulkan, but also any additional middleware. I can't find it now, but I seem to remember that for some game the Linux port was cancelled because they used Adobe Air and Adobe stopped supporting Linux a while back. Similarly, the Republique devs as well stated that they can't port to Linux due to middleware, though I don't know what exactly. This is why I'm always skeptical whenever developers promise a Linux version but say they'll only start working on Linux when the Windows version is basically done.

QaaQer

But it's not going to matter if Linux can't gain any traction and it hasn't in how many years now. The reality is you aren't going to compete with major corps. Just look a the dominate OS's now. I mean I just don't see it? Hell, MS itself can't gain any traction in the phone market now. That just shows you how damn hard it is.

The wild card is an Android on desktop, which Google has been messing around with. Vulkan, Steam, + Android Linux could work.

I really want to switch to SteamOS. I'm a Linux Admin by trade, and I'd really prefer not to have a Windows machine in the house. My big problem is that 3/4 of my games, including my "must play" games aren't available on Linux. I just spent 160 hours playing Fallout 4, and I can't do that on Linux. It truly saddens me.

Maybe near the end of this year I'll pick up another SSD and dual boot.

I really wish that Valve would start contributing heavily to Wine and start a program to help developers migrate to a Wine on Linux setup for SteamOS.

I don't really care about the performance issue as I totally overbuilt my system, and it's worth the money to me to be well ahead of the curve.

Newboi

I'm trying to understand, with the advent of Vulkan, why is there any incentive for a game developer to develop on DirectX 12?

SteamOS is still very much a beta product, as is Steam Big Picture Mode and the Steam Controller. As with everything Valve takes forever. Steam on Linux is surprisingly mature, everything else isn't. The whole Steam Machine thing is early. Vulkan is early. Linux game development is early. It's all promising, and I can't wait for it to be something I take seriously.

But. If you had told me ten years ago that half my Steam library would be on Linux I would have laughed at you. 1% of Steam users on Linux is great considering how, since maybe 2009, gaming on Linux became more than just a faint mirage of old Unreal Tournament ports and open source clones. Now, you write on engines that are already everywhere. Every Kickstarter has a Linux logo. It's a weird world.

The questions I have moving forward: How much does Valve care about SteamOS? There's a flow of beta releases and things are happening, but is it something they'll keep working on? Will they keep harping Nvidia and AMD for Linux driver updates and support? Will they keep fostering that little pool? And what about GOG and Humble?

If they keep watering the plant, I'm thinking it will grow. Eventually. Hell, even now I could see myself playing my Steam games on Linux more often than Windows just because I'm comfier there. And I really like SteamOS, even if it's still early days.

EDIT: I agree with the sentiment up-thread about Linux becoming better in its own right. When I started in 2006, things didn't work. Support wasn't there. Now when I throw some Ubuntu version on my machine it feels like I'm installing a custom Mac OSX style operating system designed for my hardware. It's incredible. And projects like the Raspberry Pi are astonishing to me. It's all very impressive.

Fularu

Banned
So yeah anyway.

Can we reliably extrapolate the absolute number of linux users from the percentage and the total steam users over the last year or would that get lost in the margin of error?

If Steam has 40 million users and Linux is 1% of the base, that's at most 400k users

That's negligible.

Point is Linux isn't just some kernel bedroom hackers tinker with, it's a solid tried and tested piece of software. Also yes, Linux powers most of the internet. Google for a start, Amazon, PSN, probably even GAF.

And Android does run on the Linux Kernel, it's as much Linux as a GNU/Linux desktop is.

Developing a game for Android and developing a game for Linux are two entirely different things though. Even developing Java software for Android doesn't really port over to desktop/server Java very well. Equating Linux to Android is really only academic, it doesn't make any difference when discussing desktop usage.

I wrote my replies in bold directly in the quote for ease.

Now excuse me as I ignore your completely valueless opinion on the matter from here on out. You'll survive this little bit of condescending behaviour, right?

I'm not seeing a reason for the hostility. No blatantly incorrect facts, no FUD, no flaming, no trolling. Just a different opinion. And I'm coming at this from a pro-SteamOS guy.

I mean, sure, I agree that the SteamOS setup screen sounds way better. But is it wrong to say that sort of thing really isn't that important? Probably not. I like Steam Big Picture Mode but a lot of PC gamers don't - the Steam/Steam Controller threads are full of people annoyed by it. A lot of PC gamers who value performance, a massive library, things that Linux can't offer and may never offer unless a massive paradigm shift occurs.

That's the sort of mentality that will be potentially changing...or not changing.

Crayon

The wild card is an Android on desktop, which Google has been messing around with. Vulkan, Steam, + Android Linux could work.

I think this is the coming storm. Convergence is coming and valve may be stealthily preparing for it with the arm based steam link and cross-platform initiatives.

Tealmann

In my opinion that's the most probable way for Linux desktop to catch on, especially if google puts android on chromebooks. Most people already like android, so I don't think it'll take much convincing to get casual computer users to switch from windows to android.
The only problem is that as of right now, android desktop (See: RemixOS) is pretty awful with no proper mouse support, sketchy app support at best, and of course: Steam doesn't work on android.
I wonder how hard it would be to get steam on android. Considering it is linux, could steam include all the packages needed to run as if it were on GNU/Linux, or would every game need to be ported again?

Fularu

Banned
I was more wondering if it would be possible to see if the number was trending up or down.

It would be statistical noise. The userbase just isn't really there.

The main reason you see more Linux ports is they'Re prety much free to make with the tools some people are using.

I know some people really want to see Linux take of as a gaming ecosystem and replace the evil windows empire... but it's just not going to happen, not without some major fuckups on Microsoft's part and UWA isn't one of them.

Crayon

I know some people really want to see Linux take of as a gaming ecosystem and replace the evil windows empire... but it's just not going to happen, not without some major fuckups on Microsoft's part and UWA isn't one of them.

I don't have any delusion about replacing windows for gaming or for general computing. Gaming on linux is important for the same reason Linux itself is important: It just needs to be there. So there can be a choice. It can stay small, and if there are major fuckups on microsoft's part there will be somewhere for us to flee to.

Don't want to be up shit creek without a paddle!

We do still get poor ports on Windows, granted, but I think unification of development has never been closer than today. This isn't the PS2, N64 or Dreamcast era - the xbox one and ps4 are built around the same AMD Jaguar x86 architecture, which is, in theory, tons easier to port than PS3 or XBOX360 games were. The next logical step would be a unifying API- the ideal candidate for which, so far, would be Vulkan. So yeah, don't hold your breath yet, but maybe, just maybe, we're getting there.

The ideal candidate based on your ideological preferences. But probably not the ideal candidate based on the requirements of AAA development. You can use Vulkan only on 1 out of 3 AAA platforms. But you can use DX12 on 2 out of 3 AAA platforms. And DX12 adoption could be faster than some think. I expect that we see the first major Windows 10-only titles at the end of 2016.

I'm trying to understand, with the advent of Vulkan, why is there any incentive for a game developer to develop on DirectX 12?

DirectX is probably more comfortable to devs. Better documentation, better support, better tools, ... Also because Xbox One will use DX12, it makes sense to use DX12 for PC.

No, not really. Do you guys realise that Android is to Linux what your horror visions of a closed down Win10/UWP future is to current PC gaming? Android exists so Google can make money of their app store and advertising. They will make damn sure that a company like Valve won't interfere with their own app store.

I think this is the coming storm. Convergence is coming and valve may be stealthily preparing for it with the arm based steam link and cross-platform initiatives.

Sigh, now we are approaching Misterxmedia level.

tr00per

Well, approaching this from a relatively noob standpoint (I've installed linux a handful of times on PCs and ps3 and rooted all my android phones) I love the idea of a linux only gaming machine (desktop). Vulkan and Wine just have to evolve to a certain point, along with developers launching new games simultaneously on Linux/steam OS.

I didn't realize that the steamOS initiative was a backup plan. That makes a lot more sense than trying to get into the living room.

The other thing is that users can stay with Windows 7 and 8 and dx11, at least for a little while. I know I am. Even for my next am4 build.

But if we can get to the point where the majority of games past, present, and future are as good (or hopefully better) on Linux I know where I'd stand.

Durante

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't it be possible to workaround lousy Linux OpenGL drivers by replacing them with a compatibility layer that translates OpenGL calls to Vulkan? Presumably to achieve really good performance in this scenario you'd need to put in the kind of expertise and resources that would usually go into the drivers themselves, but a company like Valve should have the expertise and definitely have the resources.
Yes, to some extent.

But as you say, that would be an absolutely massive software project. In order to achieve comparable performance that is, not just to get it up and running.

Personally, I think a DX9 and/or 11 and/or 12 implementation on top of Vulkan would be even more interesting, particularly as an exit strategy from Windows.

tr00per

Yes, to some extent.

But as you say, that would be an absolutely massive software project. In order to achieve comparable performance that is, not just to get it up and running.

Personally, I think a DX9 and/or 11 and/or 12 implementation on top of Vulkan would be even more interesting, particularly as an exit strategy from Windows.

You posted that right as I was about to second that question in an edit. Very intriguing. Who would spearhead that effort though? I can't see it being a justifiable action from valve unless the shit was undeniably about to hit the fan and they had a larger userbase. So just different enthusiasts over time? Epic is probably the best company to have on that side, considering the ubiquity of the unreal engine

V_Arnold

Gemüsepizza;197849457 said:
DirectX is probably more comfortable to devs. Better documentation, better support, better tools, ... Also because Xbox One will use DX12, it makes sense to use DX12 for PC.

At this point, you are indeed delusional. Xbox One's existence is IRRELEVANT to PC gaming at large. There is an order of magnitude difference between the two market's size.

And besides, if you had any idea about how development goes, you would not assume so little at developers. Once an engine is supporting Vulkan bindings, it is not a question of "should I", but a "why would not I?".

We had this dance before, and you have an assumption that people will irrationally stick to DX12 no matter what, and you are prepared to ignore anything that goes contrary to your belief. That is fine, but do not act surprised when everyone points at your logical inconsistencies.

Horp

I think it's very clear that the intention in the long run from Microsoft is to make PC games (and also applications) become more like iOS-style apps, and in the even longer run start taking a cut. They haven't stated as much but the signs are clear. Why else would they do what they have been doing with W8/W10/UWA. I mean, they are building a standard that is essentially competing with their own other standard, Win32 applications. If their intention was to actually support the PC gaming industry for what it is, they could move their support to win32 applications, and making sure Win10 was the most open, mod friendly and DRM free environment out there, while also having the best driver and development support (for games). They have this golden oppertunity where the sit upon the win32 standard, a great OS (Win10), best-in-industry drivers and developers that love creating win32-games, a bunch of better and better gaming platforms (Steam, Origin, ...) and they decide to take a shit in their own backyard with anti-customer shite that no one asked for.

Looking a few years ahead, I think phone/tablet/wearable devices with good capabilities to utilize big home screens when needed are going to limit the use for a home PC for many people. Microsoft is trying to combat this in the totally wrong way, by not playing on their strengths and instead trying to mimic what Apple (and to some extend Google) are doing. And mark my words: They will fail (my prediction, obviously).

Because of all this, SteamOS and Linux gaming moving forward is very important for those of us that like all the nice stuff that PC gaming offers (already outlined perfectly in the PC gamer article by Durante). If Microsoft doesn't change their stance, but continue on the path they are treading down right now, Windows will _not_ be the convenient, top quality platform it is today in a few years. It will be a closed eco system with limited options/moddability, with more expensive games (due to lack of competition and MS-fees) and likely less and less hardcore games. Kind of like App store.

Edit:
Also, there's another aspect in this that is easy to forget. I have worked in the games industry, and right now I work with middleware that is utlized by the games industry and it cannot be understated how influencial "the nerds" are in this industry. Sure, the big companies sit on the money, but money alone don't make great games. You need the hardcore developers, the smart guys; people like Carmack and Tim Sweeny, to make the best games and technologies. And these guys don't like what MS are doing right now. Ideologies and "radicalism" (as some might put it) might not be that important to a huge portion of the end customers, but it is very important to some of the most influencial and important people in the industry.

Gruso

I've searched for similar topics, or even a Steam OS Discussion thread, but only found the general threads for Steam. If I've missed something, vulkanize me.
There is one. But it's more for nuts-and-bolts user discussion, not industry talk, so it's better to have this conversation separately :)

I just like my toys and try not to wade into too much industry talk. I don't have the answers. But seeing people cite the 1% userbase as proof that Linux gaming is going nowhere, it just makes me wonder... why then is the percentage of Linux games on Steam at around 25% and rising? It's definitely not for the lucrative userbase. A case of hedging bets perhaps, just as Valve seems to be doing with SteamOS?

Linux releases aren't making much of a daily splash in the usual outlets, but the news comes thick and fast if you're following the right places:

In notable news just today, DiRT Rally appears to have a Linux port in the works, and Chris Roberts confirms they're doing early investigations into the possibility of Vulkan for Star Citizen - naming Linux in the process.

Is this just a honeymoon phase? Are news items like the above going to represent "peak Linux" before it all falls in a heap? My gut says that Linux is not really the driving factor. Valve got the conversation going, but Vulkan will carry the momentum assuming it takes hold. And if it does, Linux will of course be a major benefactor.

jmga

Microsoft is supporting Vulkan by making DX12 exclusive to W10 so, thanks for that, Microsoft, you are giving publishers no other choice but to use Vulkan.

ricki42

But seeing people cite the 1% userbase as proof that Linux gaming is going nowhere, it just makes me wonder... why then is the percentage of Linux games on Steam at around 25% and rising? It's definitely not for the lucrative userbase. A case of hedging bets perhaps, just as Valve seems to be doing with SteamOS?

I think hedging bets is likely part of it, Gabe Newell and Tim Sweeney aren't the only ones worried by where MS might go with Windows.
But some devs at least have said their Linux ports were profitable, even if not by much. Last I read, Steam had 125 million users. That was last year, probably more now. So 1% is still 1.25 million. And often Linux sales are above 1%, so the 1% Linux users buy more like 2% (makes sense, there are fewer games to choose from). Add to that GOG users, where we don't have any numbers.
This is still a small number compared to Windows, but it depends on the cost of the port. For a developer using Unity or Unreal, and not using any Windows-only middleware, the Linux port can be profitable even with relatively low numbers.
gamingonlinux.com recently had an interview with AtomicTorch Studio about their Linux sales with Dinocide & VoidExpanse
AtomicTorch said:
I would say with the amount of effort we had to put into making this support available we ended up losing money.
This is obviously only true for VoidExpanse. Some simpler games might actually be a very straightforward to port. In fact our second game - Dinocide, which is a classic platformer, was indeed a relatively easy port without any serious issues and we did make some extra income from this port.
And I would say, again. If you are using Unity and your game is a complex piece of software with many third party modules - porting isn't a good idea. But if you are making something simple and only using native Unity tools, making a port is definitely a good idea.
So it really depends. And AtomicTorch say in the interview they are now writing their own engine because they were frustrated with Unity compatibility and performance.

Glasshole

Banned
In addition, I think the most important step is that more and more developers start with multiplatform in mind. It's not just a matter of OpenGL or DX or Vulkan, but also any additional middleware. I can't find it now, but I seem to remember that for some game the Linux port was cancelled because they used Adobe Air and Adobe stopped supporting Linux a while back. Similarly, the Republique devs as well stated that they can't port to Linux due to middleware, though I don't know what exactly. This is why I'm always skeptical whenever developers promise a Linux version but say they'll only start working on Linux when the Windows version is basically done.

Fair point, although I have to admit I have knowledge gaps when it comes to middleware. I know what AIR is and I know what it did, but is middleware a dying breed due to the fact that engines run natively on linux nowadays? Like Unity for example, or Source 2

I really wish that Valve would start contributing heavily to Wine and start a program to help developers migrate to a Wine on Linux setup for SteamOS.

I don't really care about the performance issue as I totally overbuilt my system, and it's worth the money to me to be well ahead of the curve.

Wouldn't that mean that you had to optimize Wine for every single new release? This seems like a lot of work, keeping Wine patched up and optimized for every single new game.

Besides, I understand your point of not caring about performance since you have a beast, but that's not really applying for the majority of users and would make PC gaming even less attractive for newcomers.

I'm not seeing a reason for the hostility. No blatantly incorrect facts, no FUD, no flaming, no trolling. Just a different opinion. And I'm coming at this from a pro-SteamOS guy.

I will address this one last time. Go back and read his posts. He's been inappropriately condescending from the get go and has been presenting his unfounded opinions as facts, which I've refuted several times, and asked him for his sources, which he never provided.

And I'm coming at this from a pro-Microsoft side. I bought a Surface RT, I've had 4 Windows phones since WP7, I made my dad buy a WP, I have an original XBOX and a 360. I used to work together with brilliant MS people when I worked at IBM. They even sponsored one of my research projects.

However, I'm an economist and anti-monopolist at heart, and a firm believer that true innovation can only come out of competition. Microsoft has proven several times that competition is good for it - people just like to forget. How many people remember Office 2007? It was vastly superior in form and function due to the fact that open source alternatives had caught up to Office XP/2003 because MS did shit for years.

It boils down to this: Just because I like to play games shouldn't mean that I have to stick to windows because of monopolistic path dependencies. Windows can exist on its own merits, in several aspects it's a great OS. Furthermore, competition against Windows would help the customer too, since MS might start to drop its data mining bullshit and offer something the customer really wants.

I don't have any delusion about replacing windows for gaming or for general computing. Gaming on linux is important for the same reason Linux itself is important: It just needs to be there. So there can be a choice. It can stay small, and if there are major fuckups on microsoft's part there will be somewhere for us to flee to.

Well, yeah, that too - although as stated above, I would welcome a freedom of choice from the start.

At this point, you are indeed delusional. Xbox One's existence is IRRELEVANT to PC gaming at large. There is an order of magnitude difference between the two market's size.

And besides, if you had any idea about how development goes, you would not assume so little at developers. Once an engine is supporting Vulkan bindings, it is not a question of "should I", but a "why would not I?".

We had this dance before, and you have an assumption that people will irrationally stick to DX12 no matter what, and you are prepared to ignore anything that goes contrary to your belief. That is fine, but do not act surprised when everyone points at your logical inconsistencies.

He tends to ignore those and saves himself into believing everyone dislikes him. He has proven several times he has no idea what he's talking about and won't listen to anyone else, why do you waste your time?

I think it's very clear that the intention in the long run from Microsoft is to make PC games (and also applications) become more like iOS-style apps, and in the even longer run start taking a cut. They haven't stated as much but the signs are clear. Why else would they do what they have been doing with W8/W10/UWA. I mean, they are building a standard that is essentially competing with their own other standard, Win32 applications. If their intention was to actually support the PC gaming industry for what it is, they could move their support to win32 applications, and making sure Win10 was the most open, mod friendly and DRM free environment out there, while also having the best driver and development support (for games). They have this golden oppertunity where the sit upon the win32 standard, a great OS (Win10), best-in-industry drivers and developers that love creating win32-games, a bunch of better and better gaming platforms (Steam, Origin, ...) and they decide to take a shit in their own backyard with anti-customer shite that no one asked for.

Looking a few years ahead, I think phone/tablet/wearable devices with good capabilities to utilize big home screens when needed are going to limit the use for a home PC for many people. Microsoft is trying to combat this in the totally wrong way, by not playing on their strengths and instead trying to mimic what Apple (and to some extend Google) are doing. And mark my words: They will fail (my prediction, obviously).

Because of all this, SteamOS and Linux gaming moving forward is very important for those of us that like all the nice stuff that PC gaming offers (already outlined perfectly in the PC gamer article by Durante). If Microsoft doesn't change their stance, but continue on the path they are treading down right now, Windows will _not_ be the convenient, top quality platform it is today in a few years. It will be a closed eco system with limited options/moddability, with more expensive games (due to lack of competition and MS-fees) and likely less and less hardcore games. Kind of like App store.

Edit:
Also, there's another aspect in this that is easy to forget. I have worked in the games industry, and right now I work with middleware that is utlized by the games industry and it cannot be understated how influencial "the nerds" are in this industry. Sure, the big companies sit on the money, but money alone don't make great games. You need the hardcore developers, the smart guys; people like Carmack and Tim Sweeny, to make the best games and technologies. And these guys don't like what MS are doing right now. Ideologies and "radicalism" (as some might put it) might not be that important to a huge portion of the end customers, but it is very important to some of the most influencial and important people in the industry.

Bolded for truth. I mean, sure, Apps are great for idiot proof "plug and play" behaviour, but as Valve say in their Steam Controller video, PC Gaming has always, always, always been about options. About freedom. TF2, CS and Dota, some of the most played games right now, were bloody mods for crying out loud. Whoever doesn't understand that has absolutely no comprehension of PC gaming. Valve and Kojima (Homo Ludens text) understood that those who play have the capability or drive to create too.

As long as nobody can show me efforts by Microsoft to keep the options, freedoms and mods alive and well, I won't have it.

I've been a steam user since October 31st 2004, and no, I'm not pulling rank on anyone, I just like to point out: People like to forget. I remember times when Steam was the devil incarnate, nothing more than a then-considered unnecessary DRM and update tool. I remember the problems e-sports had when a CS update would hit during or before a match and people had to wait for 30 or so minutes because the servers were atrociously slow. I personally hated Steam. But Valve listened, they innovated, they added. Nowadays we have non-direct-profit-generating features like inhouse streaming, family sharing, centralized modding communities - and that's the standard to beat. This has been a development for over 10 years, I'm not gonna give MS 10 years and the reason of doubt to catch up on all of that. If MS wants people to move, they have to offer more than Steam, not atrociously less.

Thraktor

Yes, to some extent.

Well, that depends on whether you're talking about comparable performance to existing Linux OpenGL drivers or comparable to Windows DX version of the game. The former would be a lot easier (although still far from easy), and the latter may be near-impossible (as part of the performance differential is surely down to developers placing far more effort on optimising the Windows version of their game). If they could bridge the gap to some degree it would certainly enhance the attractiveness of SteamOS as a gaming platform, although I suppose it depends on the extent to which they value the performance of legacy software versus newer software that will be written for Vulkan in the first place.

I'd considered a Wine + DX->Vulkan compatibility layer as well, but I had assumed there would be some legal issues involved, given that it's a proprietary API. Wine gets away with it as FOSS (both as it's bad for PR and likely more difficult to actually sue), but all commercial DX compatibility layers I can think of are part of virtualisation suites (like Parallels & Fusion) which require a Windows license to run. Even aside from the legal issues, it would be a bold move for Valve to launch headfirst into a "play Windows games without buying Windows" scheme, as they depend on Microsoft's OS for virtually all of their revenues, and it could simply cause MS to accelerate their efforts to push Windows users towards their own marketplace.

I will address this one last time. Go back and read his posts. He's been inappropriately condescending from the get go and has been presenting his unfounded opinions as facts, which I've refuted several times, and asked him for his sources, which he never provided.

I read the whole thread. Your bluster and ad hominem set a poor precedent. Like, really, what is the point of a post like this?

He tends to ignore those and saves himself into believing everyone dislikes him. He has proven several times he has no idea what he's talking about and won't listen to anyone else, why do you waste your time?

Literally the definition of shitposting.

Well, that depends on whether you're talking about comparable performance to existing Linux OpenGL drivers or comparable to Windows DX version of the game. The former would be a lot easier (although still far from easy), and the latter may be near-impossible (as part of the performance differential is surely down to developers placing far more effort on optimising the Windows version of their game). If they could bridge the gap to some degree it would certainly enhance the attractiveness of SteamOS as a gaming platform, although I suppose it depends on the extent to which they value the performance of legacy software versus newer software that will be written for Vulkan in the first place.

I'd considered a Wine + DX->Vulkan compatibility layer as well, but I had assumed there would be some legal issues involved, given that it's a proprietary API. Wine gets away with it as FOSS (both as it's bad for PR and likely more difficult to actually sue), but all commercial DX compatibility layers I can think of are part of virtualisation suites (like Parallels & Fusion) which require a Windows license to run. Even aside from the legal issues, it would be a bold move for Valve to launch headfirst into a "play Windows games without buying Windows" scheme, as they depend on Microsoft's OS for virtually all of their revenues, and it could simply cause MS to accelerate their efforts to push Windows users towards their own marketplace.

If Microsoft wanted to, they could probably shut down Wine for infringing on the Win32 API copyright. I don't think Valve would want to go down that road. It's much better for them to chase native Linux, even despite the drawbacks.

Why aren't you guys discussing the other side? D3D. What's gonna happen to 3RD party D3D12 (and existing D3D9/10/11) direct ports to Vulkan? Forget MSFT exclusives as they're not gonna leave their storefront, let alone WIN10. But 3RD parties like Rise of the Tomb Raider, Just Cause 3 and the upcoming D3D12 games.

Krejlooc

Banned
I adore Linux, and Steam on Linux, but that just means that i run Steam on Mint's desktop.

SteamOS is entirely useless to me, and i'd wager the majority of Linux users who know very well how to install Steam and don't want a custom OS fucking about with their partitions.

Spoiler: SteamOS is basically debian. It's not really it's own fork.

Glasshole

Banned
I read the whole thread. Your bluster and ad hominem set a poor precedent. Like, really, what is the point of a post like this?
I agree, next time I will refrain from defending myself against inaccurate accusations. So my explaining to him why the other users were criticizing his shitposting is "bluster"? Ok. I'm sorry you feel that way.
Literally the definition of shitposting.
This is the definition of shitposting.. He has claimed several wildly inaccurate facts and failed to back them up by sources, even though he was prompted several times. At this point, I'm trying to get the topic back on the rails by telling people not to feed the troll.
Is it offensive if I tell people not to feed the troll?

If Microsoft wanted to, they could probably shut down Wine for infringing on the Win32 API copyright. I don't think Valve would want to go down that road. It's much better for them to chase native Linux, even despite the drawbacks.
I'm not entirely convinced. Seeing as they already do what they can to stop Wine from working properly, why wouldn't they sue the hell out of Wine if they could?

Glasshole

Banned
Spoiler: SteamOS is basically debian. It's not really it's own fork.

You're right. Although, Ubuntu started as a slightly modified debian too, and look at it now.

Why aren't you guys discussing the other side? D3D. What's gonna happen to 3RD party D3D12 (and existing D3D9/10/11) direct ports to Vulkan? Forget MSFT exclusives as they're not gonna leave their storefront, let alone WIN10. But 3RD parties like Rise of the Tomb Raider, Just Cause 3 and the upcoming D3D12 games.

Can you elaborate on that thought? I'm not entirely sure what the question is. Are you asking if direct ports from DX12 games to Vulkan are possible?

dumbo

The only real 'problems' are the AAA publishers - in PC terms, they are basically parasites that take money from the platform whilst giving absolutely nothing back.

Even DICE, for all their good work, basically created an engine that no-one except EA can use, and also removed the possibility of modding. It is the engine with the worst PC support around (joysticks? VR? etc.)

Then there's Ubisoft and activision, neither of whom have any real interest in the PC platform. The Division was a big chance for Ubisoft to build a following on windows/PC (due to destiny skipping the platform), but they then sold MS 30 day exclusivity for the xbox o_O.

The oddball is blizzard. Basically all of their eggs are in the windows basket, they stand to lose everything... and it's their own damn fault.

Krejlooc

Banned
You're right. Although, Ubuntu started as a slightly modified debian too, and look at it now.

I really don't think valve intends to evolve SteamOS into it's own very different flavor of linux. In fact, Valve uses SteamOS and Linux interchangeably. Making SteamOS it's own hard fork goes against the purpose of creating a SteamOS in the first place.

I built my dad a "steam machine." I put Ubuntu on it and installed Steam. As far as I'm concerned, he's running steamOS.

Glasshole

Banned
The only real 'problems' are the AAA publishers - in PC terms, they are basically parasites that take money from the platform whilst giving absolutely nothing back.

Even DICE, for all their good work, basically created an engine that no-one except EA can use, and also removed the possibility of modding. It is the engine with the worst PC support around (joysticks? VR? etc.)

Then there's Ubisoft and activision, neither of whom have any real interest in the PC platform. The Division was a big chance for Ubisoft to build a following on windows/PC (due to destiny skipping the platform), but they then sold MS 30 day exclusivity for the xbox o_O.

The oddball is blizzard. Basically all of their eggs are in the windows basket, they stand to lose everything... and it's their own damn fault.

And where do you see those publishers in the context of this topic? I mean I see what you're getting at, those publishers are doing a disservice to PC gaming, but I'm not entirely sure what it has to do with SteamOS. Do you mean to say even though Vulkan exists, AAA publishers are too unflexible to adapt to it?

I really don't think valve intends to evolve SteamOS into it's own very different flavor of linux. In fact, Valve uses SteamOS and Linux interchangeably. Making SteamOS it's own hard fork goes against the purpose of creating a SteamOS in the first place.

I built my dad a "steam machine." I put Ubuntu on it and installed Steam. As far as I'm concerned, he's running steamOS.

First of all, son of the year right there.

Secondly, I want to agree with you there, but if Steam for Linux is enough, why even bother to create SteamOS? We, or I at least, have no idea what Valve's long term vision for SteamOS is, and if maybe some future features will require some deeper configuration in the OS. Thats one factor. The other, almost more important one is: We don't know what the OEMs are demanding from Valve regarding SteamOS. Valve has to 'cater', if you will, to the needs of the OEMs.

I mean, I see what you're getting at: Valve has no need to push SteamOS for market share reasons. What if, however, there are technical reasons in the future?

ricki42

Fair point, although I have to admit I have knowledge gaps when it comes to middleware. I know what AIR is and I know what it did, but is middleware a dying breed due to the fact that engines run natively on linux nowadays? Like Unity for example, or Source 2

I don't know the details either, so it would be nice if someone with more insight could chime in. But from what I understand middleware is used quite a lot to get additional functionality or make things easier. Look at for example http://umbra3d.com/ , which is actually cross platform and has been used with several engines.

Wouldn't that mean that you had to optimize Wine for every single new release? This seems like a lot of work, keeping Wine patched up and optimized for every single new game.

Besides, I understand your point of not caring about performance since you have a beast, but that's not really applying for the majority of users and would make PC gaming even less attractive for newcomers.

I don't think it would make sense to release new games as wine-'ports'. Wine doesn't currently support DX11 (they're working on it) and, as you say, the performance would suffer. But for older games wine is a great option to get the game on Linux for relatively cheap. This way, more and more of the older games can be made available on Linux. And for those games performance is less of an issue, any modern PC can handle that.

For the bolded: engadget steam machine review

The performance largely depends on the developers and the GPU drivers. I wouldn't judge Windows performance based on the port of Batman:AK either. The performance on Linux will improve as developers get more familiar with the system, and start developing with multiplatform in mind from the start rather than porting the finished game.

Thing is, it's pretty easy to cherry pick. To play devil's advocate, here's Ars Technica's impressions of Zotac's SN970...

Hey, Valve: What’s the point of SteamOS?

I turned off the Zotac and unplugged the keyboard and mouse and HDMI and power cables from the back. I carefully cleaned it with a small cloth, placing it back in the box along with the power supply and Steam Controller. Then, making sure all the relevant manuals and paperwork were inside the box, I sealed it up with some tape, and put it back in the cupboard ready to be sent on to another journalist. I wondered whether they would have the same experience I did, or if I was just unlucky.

I turned on my Windows PC to play Just Cause 3. It worked perfectly.

therapist

not much to say here other than i installed and tested steam os on the weekend and didnt care for it at all - in fact i had one helluva strange issue shortly after installing drivers and steam etc :

it went totally apeshit while installing a game in steam , i hit a key , no idea what i thought i hit CTRL but the screen went apeshit and was flickering off and on over and over and i couldnt do anything i.e move the mouse or close steam. Have never seen that before , just by hitting a single key on the keyboard...like what

I promptly uninstalled steamos

Ive tried it before too around the time it came out , while i didnt have the screen flicker problem the performance was just terrible , im sure its better now but when windows runs games better you need to wonder why they are even bothering here.

maybe i should try ubuntu instead or something

Glasshole

Banned
Thing is, it's pretty easy to cherry pick. To play devil's advocate, here's Ars Technica's impressions of Zotac's SN970...

Well, if you ask me, there isn't even a need to cherry pick: Most of us know that SteamOS is performing sub-par in its current form. Nobody here is trying to convince anyone otherwise. The more interesting aspect is, even if these bugs were to be removed and SteamOS would perform as it is supposed to, is there still enough to make it succeed?

Regarding the bugs, IT has had its fair share of terrible starts and slow burners. Not too long ago, Android's tablet efforts were a catastrophe - in 3.0, the apps were mostly just scaled up phone applications. These things can be overcome if the product reaches maturity, the price point stays/becomes attractive, and last but not least, marketing is dialed up (once the product is stable ofc).

But for older games wine is a great option to get the game on Linux for relatively cheap. This way, more and more of the older games can be made available on Linux. And for those games performance is less of an issue, any modern PC can handle that.

Well undoubtedly so, yes. And if Vulkan were to succeed, Wine would need a lot less human resources as the "backlog" would get smaller and smaller.

ricki42

That article is a bit biased though. As someone pointed out in the comments
To bang on the "try a different monitor" issue, looks like the monitor he was using has known issues with hdmi connections and requires 2 hdmi cables to display at 4k. That's hardly a mainstream situation.
Even after this was pointed out, the author of the article refused to clarify or try again with a different monitor because he doesn't see the point of SteamOS.
Of course it's an issue that SteamOS isn't working out of the box on this setup, and this needs work, I'm not saying it's OK. But this article isn't a fair assessment of the current situation in general.

Crayon

Well, yeah, that too - although as stated above, I would welcome a freedom of choice from the start.

Don't get me wrong. Windows stopped working for me a while ago so I'm on Linux full time, and anyone who wants free family/friend support from me is on linux as well. That said, I don't think linux needs to displace windows at large to be important or successful.

For personal use specifically, I feel it's appropriate for Linux to be a sort of fringe option for those who just want something else for any reason practical or ideological.

dumbo

And where do you see those publishers in the context of this topic? I mean I see what you're getting at, those publishers are doing a disservice to PC gaming, but I'm not entirely sure what it has to do with SteamOS. Do you mean to say even though Vulkan exists, AAA publishers are too unflexible to adapt to it?

Have any of the AAA publishers released a title for Linux in recent years? Origin/Uplay don't even support the platform.

I'd actually be surprised if any of the AAA publishers released a single desktop title using Vulkan. I think DICE notably talked about 'wanting to require DX12' for battlefield 5 - I think the idea of them using Vulkan is rather optimistic (and pointless as they would never support a non-windows OS anyway).

ricki42

Have any of the AAA publishers released a title for Linux in recent years? Origin/Uplay don't even support the platform.

'AAA' is such a vague term, it really depends what you're looking for. But the lack of Ubisoft and EA support is indeed a problem.
Some of the bigger games that have been released on Linux are (don't know whether you'd classify any as 'AAA'):
Alien Isolation, Shadow of Mordor, Borderlands 2, Borderlands TPS, Witcher 2, Xcom, Xcom 2, Bioshock Infinite, Spec Ops The Line, Dying Light, Saints Row 4, Civ V, Company of Heroes II, Football Manager 2016, Grid Autosport

I'm sure there are more, but you can just check for yourself:
http://store.steampowered.com/search/?#sort_by=_ASC&category1=998&os=linux&page=1

Also, Street Fighter V has been announced for Linux, and Tombraider (2013) looks like it's coming. Clearly not day-1 or even year-1, but I was surprised that Square Enix would release on Linux at all, hadn't really expected that. Might be a Feral port, they've already done the Mac port.

AmyS

Was trying to decide where to post this.

Here's a big NextGen article on the aborted Indrema L600 Linux console of 15 years ago, just as the OG Xbox was gathering steam, pun kinda intended.

HUmLOFn.jpg
aOrn7zb.jpg

U832ArL.jpg
hDYrIyK.jpg

OIMwG5k.jpg
yRYJK2I.jpg

k3Rnc34.jpg
y9h7Ezq.jpg

Top Bottom