• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rachael Dolezal claims she's jobless and on food stamps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because of....science?

Can we honestly, at this stage say there are no scientific differences between white and black people?

VqVMC1b.gif

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Can't wait to read about her redemption arc as a "New Black" where she was able to work hard in a post-racism America enabling her to tell her fellow black people to quit blaming the white man.

Because of....science?

Can we honestly, at this stage say there are no scientific differences between white and black people?

Oh, please, please elaborate, friend.

Given that this is your takeaway, I'm sure you have some fascinating insight on the matter and I'm just dying to hear your thoughts.

L Thammy

My rather ignorant thinking is this:

Gender may be a construct, but it's related to sex, which is an identifiable real-world thing.

Race is a construct, but it's a really wishy-washy one that is more associated with political lines than anything in real life. It isn't skin colour, because white people can be as dark as brown people and vice versa, yellow people aren't really any different from white people, black people run a wide range of colours, so on. We don't have to crack open your chromosomes to figure out what race you are; people can pretty ready tell who's white and who isn't, even if those definitions change over time. And people tend to identify their races they tend to say the name of countries.

It's bizarre trying to tie the two together, because whereas I and everyone else should know exactly what you mean when you say you identify as a female, you saying that you identify as black could be damn near anything. What definition of black are you even using?

Mael

My rather ignorant thinking is this:

Gender may be a construct, but it's related to sex, which is an identifiable real-world thing.

Race is a construct, but it's a really wishy-washy one that is more associated with political lines than anything in real life. It isn't skin colour, because white people can be as dark as brown people and vice versa, yellow people aren't really any different from white people, black people run a wide range of colours, so on. We don't have to crack open your chromosomes to figure out what race you are; people can pretty ready tell who's white and who isn't, even if those definitions change over time. And people tend to identify their races they tend to say the name of countries.

wut?
Although you're right in that white people is fairly changing defined group.
Not even 40 years ago Italians and spanish people weren't part of it.
Go back 100 years and you have Irish that are also distinct and whatever.
My point is race is BS.

L Thammy

wut?
Although you're right in that white people is fairly changing defined group.
Not even 40 years ago Italians and spanish people weren't part of it.
Go back 100 years and you have Irish that are also distinct and whatever.
My point is race is BS.

People from the Mediterranean are often identified as white, and yet can be rather dark-skinned. I believe it's one of the reasons race labels shifted from colours (before the scientific community decided that race theory was bunk). White -> Caucasian, Black -> Negroid, Yellow -> Mongoloid, so on.

Mael

People from the Mediterranean are often identified as white, and yet can be rather dark-skinned. I believe it's one of the reasons race labels shifted from colours (before the scientific community decided that race theory was bunk). White -> Caucasian, Black -> Negroid, Yellow -> Mongoloid, so on.

Again, people from the Mediterranean where absolutely NOT identified as white ingroup in Europe some 30 years ago or so.
I could probably pull some propaganda from the far right of that era that specify that "Mediterranean people were shitty invaders trying to steal jobs".
Scientific theory was done with races a long time before the more mainstream public had any qualm about it anyway.

Mael

What "scientific differences" are you implying? Do go on.

Resistance to sun burn?
You can also make a pretty good case that it could be scientifically proven that black people have a harder time finding a job (through social science)...

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
i know she's 'famous' now but kinda not buying the 100 jobs thing... at least not due to the controversy. i think most people are like "rachael who?"
I'm assuming she applied for 100 jobs in the academic and community outreach world.

Platy

Resistance to sun burn?
You can also make a pretty good case that it could be scientifically proven that black people have a harder time finding a job (through social science)...

Thick skin and harder time finding a job ?

Trans people are black confirmed xD

Mael

Thick skin and harder time finding a job ?

Trans people are black confirmed xD

As far as employers goes they might as well.
I'm not entirely serious.
If we're looking at "scientific" differences between black and white people, that's the kind of results you're going to get really.
And to be perfectly honest even the assumption on resistence to skin burn seems like urban legend more than hard science too.

LakeEarth

Devil's advocate, but of course there are scientific differences between different races. That recent lactose-intolerance thread illustrates that. But when it comes down to how you behave, how you act, that's society, environment.

Platy

As far as employers goes they might as well.
I'm not entirely serious.
If we're looking at "scientific" differences between black and white people, that's the kind of results you're going to get really.
And to be perfectly honest even the assumption on resistence to skin burn seems like urban legend more than hard science too.

You could trade skin burn for "more melanine" but then again "black people" that are like white skinned sons of black people don't have that more melanine =P

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Devil's advocate, but of course there are scientific differences between different races. That recent lactose-intolerance thread illustrates that. But when it comes down to how you behave, how you act, that's society, environment.

That's not based on race at all.....That's literally down to whether community had dairy farms or not. Plenty of sub Saharan and North east African's/middle have the mutations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom