• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Racing Lagoon - Square's PS1 *High-Speed Driving RPG* is finally available in English as a fan-translation

Teslerum

FCV5v33XIAAmY_x

CamHostage

For those who, like me, were looking at the tiny snippet of racing footage in the fan trans trailer and thinking, "Uh, this is Square's 'High-Speed Driving RPG'?", here's some footage of a race:

(The driver here is not the best... or maybe, he's not leveled up? Either way, the video does show multiple courses and the 'overworld' and a bit of the bonnet cam viewpoint)

Last edited:
CamHostage CamHostage Nice footage man.

I've seen the fan translation for this over the past two months getting constantly updated. Still considering if/when to play it; WRT retro games I'm just currently playing through Cyber Knight II mainly as far as JRPGs go, but was thinking of running Panzer Dragoon Saga after that primarily. I'm tempted to play this some time but I want to finish up Moon RPG Remix first.

But that game...damn it is frustrating once a little over halfway in. Cryptic old-school adventure game logic + sim life event world scheduler = use a guide or die (and stay lost forever). But it just feels contrary to the atmosphere of the game and the free-spiritedness it presents early on (plus I dislike having to read a guide for knowing every little thing that has to be done).

Then again, I always thought it was an actual JRPG in terms of design and that is clearly not the case. But anyway back on topic, I'll probably try starting this sometime over winter. '90s Square is forever Best Square, not even up for debate tbh.

Big props to all translators.
You doing the work companies weren't able to, and for free.
Thanks for all the gems we can finally enjoy
Just seen one of them doing Linda Cubed (PS1 ver. tho), Iblard: The City of Hatching Laputa and Kowloon's Gate.

Fan Translators > '90s Western Game Publishers, easily. Bringing us English (and other) versions of Japanese games that deserved English ports back in the day.

Top Bottom