• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Racism in Hollywood/entertainment(why "black Spiderman" would not be a problem).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so I was watching the promo for Totally Biased on FX weeks ago and wanted to make this topic but could not.

In the segment the host stated that he wanted to be two things growing up, a comedian or Spiderman. Then he claimed "...but they won't let a black man be spiderman". I had a huge issue with this because I do not think most people would mind. I mean for the most part the iconic part of Spiderman is his costume/super powers (and his build I guess if you want to go there as being less built than other super heroes).

His premise that include the descriptor "they" which a wild guess would be that he is refering to "white" people but I would be fine with it as would many people. Further more the reason he could not be spiderman in my view was more based on his build unfortunately.

Spiderman has already been color-blind cast in Tobey Maguire's portrayal of the character with blue eyes in Raimi's Spiderman trilogy.
Furthermore in the 90s cartoon he had green eyes and sandy blondish hair.

Next Kingpin (villian) was played by Michael Clarke Duncan in Daredevil and Nick Fury by Samuel L Jackson in the avengers. Both movies were comic book adaptations.

I think sure in a traditional casting where they go after someone who looks like the main character he would not be cast but neither would someone with blue eyes.

The Green Lantern was portrayed as "black" in the Justice League animated series.

However I do acknowledge some racism would exist and there would be protests by some but I disagree with the premise that "white" people would not accept a "black spiderman"

However I acknowledge racism plagues the entertainment industry with stereotypical portayal of "asians", "blacks", and "hispanics" throughout the movies as well as sexism plaguing modern cinema. I am rather exhausted from typing the rant against the proposal that there would be outrage over a "black spiderman" so maybe you all could post some examples of racism in modern cinema?

Zzoram

Okay so I was watching the promo for Totally Biased on FX weeks ago and wanted to make this topic but could not.

In the segment the host stated that he wanted to be two things growing up, a comedian or Spiderman. Then he claimed "...but they won't let a black man be spiderman". I had a huge issue with this because I do not think most people would mind. I mean for the most part the iconic part of Spiderman is his costume/super powers (and his build I guess if you want to go there as being less built than other super heroes).

His premise that include the descriptor "they" which a wild guess would be that he is refering to "white" people but I would be fine with it as would many people. Further more the reason he could not be spiderman in my view was more based on his build unfortunately.

Spiderman has already been color-blind cast in Tobey Maguire's portrayal of the character with blue eyes in Raimi's Spiderman trilogy.
Furthermore in the 90s cartoon he had green eyes and sandy blondish hair.

Next Kingpin (villian) was played by Michael Clarke Duncan in Daredevil and Nick Fury by Samuel L Jackson in the avengers. Both movies were comic book adaptations.

I think sure in a traditional casting where they go after someone who looks like the main character he would not be cast but neither would someone with blue eyes.

The Green Lantern was portrayed as "black" in the Justice League animated series.

However I do acknowledge some racism would exist and there would be protests by some but I disagree with the premise that "white" people would not accept a "black spiderman"

However I acknowledge racism plagues the entertainment industry with stereotypical portayal of "asians", "blacks", and "hispanics" throughout the movies as well as sexism plaguing modern cinema. I am rather exhausted from typing the rant against the proposal that there would be outrage over a "black spiderman" so maybe you all could post some examples of racism in modern cinema?

Nick Fury has been black in the Ultimate comic books for years.

Nick Fury has been black in the Ultimate comic books for years.

Well was the entire Avengers movie based around the Ultimate version?
If so than it is not an example of color-blind casting like Tobey Maguire as Spiderman or Michael Duncan Clarke as Kingpin.

The point is that I feel that most people would not have a problem with a "black" Spiderman. Only a fringe minority would complain like in the movie Thor about a "black" actor being cast.

Zzoram

Well was the entire Avengers movie based around the Ultimate version?
If so than it is not an example of color-blind casting like Tobey Maguire as Spiderman or Michael Duncan Clarke as Kingpin.

The point is that I feel that most people would not have a problem with a "black" Spiderman. Only a fringe minority would complain like in the movie Thor about a "black" actor being cast.

The Marvel movies definitely draw more from the Ultimate universe than 616, at least aesthetically.

Nick Fury in the Ultimate universe was specifically meant to look like Samuel L Jackson because the artists thought he was cool. There really was no other option for casting Nick Fury for the movie.

Imm0rt4l

studios are hesitant to even give the green light to blockbuster films starring black males not named Will smith, of course a black spider-man is a problem.

Recon

Banned
You use tobey as an example of "color blind" casting? This will be the dumbest thing I read on gaf today.

Lostvoyager you are not Dr. Eggman or Blamespace.

the Nick Fury you saw in the movies was based on the Ultimate universe line. as was the Thor almost everything else.

That and his build is different than that of spiderman in the comics with the addition of him being older.

ibdjSQudf9Lotd.gif

You use tobey as an example of "color blind" casting? This will be the dumbest thing I read on gaf today.

I meant non-traditional, color-blind is basically a subset of that so I used that term.

My apologies, basically he was given the role of spiderman despite not necessarily looking like the original depiction.

Ultima_5

I see no problem with it. I'd just think 'oh. He's black.' and that would be the extent of it. It would bother me if they completely rewrote the character though. At that point just give Him a new name.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Lostvoyager you are not Dr. Eggman or Blamespace.

the Nick Fury you saw in the movies was based on the Ultimate universe line. as was the Thor almost everything else.

Aspects of ultimate thor were used. Mainly his facial features. Everything else was from 616 thor.

There was some controversy recently over the potential casting of black people as the main characters of the Hunger Games even though most of the characters in the book were described as anything but white.

I meant non-traditional, color-blind is basically a subset of that so I used that term.

My apologies, basically he was given the role of spiderman despite not necessarily looking like the original depiction.

Because he's a cartoon character. There are a hundred different depictions and interpretations based on whoever is drawing him that day. Ultimately though, he's a young white kid and that's what Tobey Maguire was. Granted, I thought Tobey sucked as Spiderman, but his casting wasn't a reach at all. Forcing it into this conversation about casting black actors as white superheroes just makes the entire thread look dumb.

Miles X

These characters arnt black originally though are they? Which makes it ridiculous. It'd be great to have more black leads that arnt Will Smith but don't force it for the sake of it.

I see no problem with it. I'd just think 'oh. He's black.' and that would be the extent of it. It would bother me if they completely rewrote the character though. At that point just give Him a new name.
That's roughly my take on it. Peter Parker is white. It's cool if you want a black Spider-man, but not a black Peter Parker. Miles could have his own movie, for example.

Bring up the thread when Marvel was rumored to be going after Will Smith to play Captain America.

I mostly had a problem with it being Will Smith. Idris Elba as my Captain America would rock.

Yes, I know. I also know that he is like the only black guy that GAF would put in every movie. But he is just the yin to Fassbender's yang.

edit: See! Idris already made an appearance, only as Bond. Would be good. But Daniel Craig can play old Bond and it will be alright with me.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Idris as Bond would be so excellent.

I'd watch that.

There was also no reason for WB not to make Green Lantern black, heck most of the people who grew up with the Justice League cartoon, the guys who would go and see the movie, grew up with a black Green Lantern. I was actually surprised when they did cast Ryan Reynolds.

Also there is a black Spider-man, but he is only in the ultimate universe of comics.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Where's my white Shaft, Hollywood?
Wouldn't work, as the character's ethnicity and backstory is critical to the IP.

It'd be like turning Thor black. And yes, I saw Idris in the movie and didn't really understand why he was playing a Norse god, either.

This reminds me of all those confused black people on Twitter when the GL movie came out. "Uhhhh wasn't the GL BLACK????? smh"

I mostly had a problem with it being Will Smith. Idris Elba as my Captain America would rock.

Yes, I know. I also know that he is like the only black guy that GAF would put in every movie. But he is just the yin to Fassbender's yang.

I thought it would have been interesting but I also understood why comic fans would have hated it. For the most part comic book fans want the stories and characters they know and love almost directly translated into movies. Hell it's why you still have people who think the next Batman should wear spandex.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
That and his build is different than that of spiderman in the comics with the addition of him being older.

Eh, his build was fine and age also very much matched. He was 27 at the time of Spider-Man 1 and although comics will rarely state age the current Spider-Man is definitely in the late twenties early thirties range. Besides that eye color is rarely consistent over different media. Hell, in comics you'll have one colorist giving someone green eyes and brown the next issue.

Because he's a cartoon character. There are a hundred different depictions and interpretations based on whoever is drawing him that day. Ultimately though, he's a young white kid and that's what Tobey Maguire was. Granted, I thought Tobey sucked as Spiderman, but his casting wasn't a reach at all. Forcing it into this conversation about casting black actors as white superheroes just makes the entire thread look dumb.

Tobey was 27 when he was cast if I was not mistaken. Marvel wiki clearly states that Peter Parker is brown haired, and brown eyed with a slender build.

Tobey was a non-traditional casting choice... Are the only non-traditional casting choices that should be discussed in this topic "blacks" playing a character originally depicted as "white". Skin color is not the only element looked for in traditional casting?

Another example is Michael Keaton as Batman who has been called too slender for the role.

I was discussing why casting a black actor should not matter because an actor who already was not akin in appearance to Peter Parker in the comics was cast.

Tobey was a non-traditional casting choice... Are the only non-traditional casting choices that should be discussed in this topic "blacks" playing a character originally depicted as "white". Skin color is not the only element looked for in traditional casting?

YOU TITLED IT 'RACISM IN HOLLYWOOD"!?!?!?!?!?!??!!??!

Putting the Maguire as Spiderman casting in the same cast as, potentially, a black Spiderman or Bond is fuckin silly. Hell Keaton was more of a stretch but that was as much because he was seen as more of a quirky, comedic actor at the time, but casting Michael Keaton as Batman would not have been seen as crazy as casting Eddie Murphy as Batman.

Tobey was 27 when he was cast if I was not mistaken. Marvel wiki clearly states that Peter Parker is brown haired, and brown eyed with a slender build.

Another example is Michael Keaton as Batman who has been called too slender for the role.

I was discussing why casting a black actor should not matter because an actor who already was not akin in appearance to Peter Parker in the comics was cast.

I guess I'll just be the one to say it.

I don't think that variations in eye color are equivalent to variations in ethnicity.

If you took this to the street and you asked people "What ethnicity is Peter Parker?" people would be able to answer that.

If you asked them "What color are Peter Parker's eyes?" nowhere near as many people would know.

YOU TITLED IT 'RACISM IN HOLLYWOOD"!?!?!?!?!?!??!!??!

I gave an example of why it should not be a big deal if a "black" actor is cast as spiderman because an actor who is not like the official profile of the character was already cast.

Most people in my view would have no issue with it, it would not bother me and I am "white". I would rather have a great performance from someone who is not considered to be a replica of the comic book character than basically an expensive cosplay-replica of the character.

Furthermore movies are adaptations of the source material and as an adaptations liberties can be taken and if a "black" actor gives a better audition he should get the part.

Unfortunately those outraged about movies like Thor and the Hunger Games having "black" actors are a vocal minority that may scare the studios.

I gave an example of why it should not be a big deal if a "black" actor is cast as spiderman because an actor who is not like the official profile of the character was already cast.

Most people in my view would have no issue with it, it would not bother me and I am "white". I would rather have a great performance from someone who is not considered to be a replica of the comic book character than basically an expensive cosplay-replica of the character.

Furthermore movies are adaptations of the source material and as an adaptations liberties can be taken and if a "black" actor gives a better audition he should get the part.

Unfortunately those outraged about movies like Thor and the Hunger Games having "black" actors are a vocal minority that may scare the studios.

Using Peter Parker's eye color as a reason why audiences would accept a black Spiderman or a black James Bond is really silly. Hell Daniel Craig's eye and hair color are non-traiditional for Bond, but that's a far stretch from the studio having the balls to cast a black dude as 007. They aren't in the same building, let alone the same room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom