• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Racists Getting Fired

Status
Not open for further replies.
The timeline of a phony profile specifically set up like that would give it away as a fake. A twitter account typically has tweets going back months, years. Im not saying someone couldnt play the long con, and pretend to be someone else for months/years on end, but that level of dedication is usually from people pretending to be celebrities.

You think Skooter's Roadhouse in Shorewood is going to be able to check this out, or they'll just knee jerk fire? Hollister, one of the examples, probably would, but random dive bar in the middle of no-wheresville?

And, have you any experience with ex-husbands/ex wives? They can go to crazy lengths, including sending anthrax to the president.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Good.

I hope to see more and more instances of racist people getting their shit messed up for being racist.

Does my heart good.

Fliesen

I don't feel sorry for these dickheads at all, but the idea someone could take my phone and post something awful on my Twitter as a bad joke, or I could make a sarcastic comment people don't get, which then gets me fired is pretty scary. There's a reason Doxxing is bannable on just about every respectable website; internet mobs don't tend to be good at due process, and inevitably someone who did nothing wrong will get hurt.

Plus there's that while in this case the people being attacked are obviously in the wrong, it isn't so cool when you have hundreds of pro-life activists who honestly believe abortion is murdering babies harassing your work place because you made a pro woman's rights tweet. Or a load of people telling your boss you're anti-Semitic because you made a tweet critical of Israel's government.

Even though it's pretty feel good in stories like this doxxing is a pretty awful thing to encourage. It won't be so cool when people you disagree with start doing it about issues they feel just as strongly about. Tumblr need to sort their shit out.

i couldn't have put it better, thank you.

stilgar

So...who's next? Let's vote :

- people who are rude in the public transports
- people who cheat on their wives
- people who clearly don't like people with other sexual identities
- people who ostensibly reject climate change

Let's expose all these assholes :p

I don't feel sorry for these dickheads at all, but the idea someone could take my phone and post something awful on my Twitter as a bad joke, or I could make a sarcastic comment people don't get, which then gets me fired is pretty scary. There's a reason Doxxing is bannable on just about every respectable website; internet mobs don't tend to be good at due process, and inevitably someone who did nothing wrong will get hurt.

Plus there's that while in this case the people being attacked are obviously in the wrong, it isn't so cool when you have hundreds of pro-life activists who honestly believe abortion is murdering babies harassing your work place because you made a pro woman's rights tweet. Or a load of people telling your boss you're anti-Semitic because you made a tweet critical of Israel's government.

Even though it's pretty feel good in stories like this doxxing is a pretty awful thing to encourage. It won't be so cool when people you disagree with start doing it about issues they feel just as strongly about. Tumblr need to sort their shit out.

Exactly. I don't support vigilante justice for all the reasons you mention.

ivysaur12

Banned

Those are different.

I don't think any rational employer would really give a shit about someone's beliefs on climate change, or abortion, or Obama. What you're seeing here is people posting something that's considered so particularly awful in American culture that's incompatible with a belief system that we as a society have decided to adhere to (that racism is bad). Obviously people hold private beliefs that are different than this, but that's probably different than liking Planned Parenthood on Facebook.

Htown

nah, I'm cool. let's just stick with the racist assholes

Lebron

So saying hateful, racist speech is somehow equal to these now ?
9c4230a9_shaq-laugh.gif

Dennis

Banned
I am setting up a website to out atheists to their religious employers as we speak. This is what you get, heathens!

stilgar

Those are different.

I don't think any rational employer would really give a shit about someone's beliefs on climate change, or abortion, or Obama. What you're seeing here is people posting something that's considered so particularly awful in American culture that's incompatible with a belief system that we as a society have decided to adhere to (that racism is bad). Obviously people hold private beliefs that are different than this, but that's probably different than liking Planned Parenthood on Facebook.

You're right, they are different.

But my point was that's it's not the role of anybody to report this. I'm sorry, but we're not talking about somebody who brags about beating his wife or children, we're talking about somebody saying racist shit on the internet. Now, if I was a potential employer and I stumbled upon this, obviously I would cross the name of this person. But that doesn't make anonymous reporting a good behavior. It's a bad, very bad habit, and as others already said, a very slippery slope.

Htown

Sorry, you are never going to get me to feel bad for seeing somebody facing consequences for saying vile racist shit in public.

Psychological mob lynching. People become very virulent and tribalistic when they feel justified to ridicule other people.

I personally don't think this is the more humane and intelligent way to make people who hold these views understand that such views and opinions do not have a place in current society.

Htown

I personally don't think this is the more humane and intelligent way to make people who hold these views understand that such views and opinions do not have a place in current society.

I disagree, I think it's the perfect way to go about it.

krazen

But my point was that's it's not the role of anybody to report this. I'm sorry, but we're not talking about somebody who brags about beating his wife or children, we're talking about somebody saying racist shit on the internet. Now, if I was a potential employer and I stumbled upon this, obviously I would cross the name of this person. But that doesn't make anonymous reporting a good behavior. It's a bad, very bad habit, and as others already said, a very slippery slope.

It's not a bubble though.

Hateful speech hurts, it's why trolls do it. While I am all for the anonymity of the internet, it tends to pop up in very interesting places (ie, the post on the forum on the new Star Wars trailer that now has a side discussion on the racist tweets about it). Its not like you gotta go do a twitter search for slurs before you run into these nitwits casually doing regular social media usage.

You're right that it can lead to a slippery slope, but id rather have some kind of recourse as opposed to just an 'ignore it'. That's done nothing to stop people from shouting/using epithets here and in real life.

ivysaur12

Banned

People have been fired for things that have been said on the internet since it became a public forum where people have willfully attached stupid comments to their names on a number of issues for who knows why. One of the reasons why racist remarks usually hit such a nerve is that it's entirely irrational and reflects extremely poorly on the business in question. In that case, I don't really have any sympathy for those who post these types of remarks because these comments are incongruous to how we're supposed to run a society.

On the other hand, more divisive political beliefs don't result in people being fired. Even though political beliefs are only covered in employment non-discrimination in two states (New York, California, and DC), there are very few examples of anyone fired for pro-choice, pro-life, or pro-Israel beliefs via a quick google search, and most of those tend to be fairly extreme (the pro-choice teacher worked at a Catholic school, the pro-life teacher was apparently harassing his students and coworkers and creating an uncomfortable work environment, the pro-Israel professor wasn't tenured). Because these are beliefs that tend to cut more evenly across the American belief system, it's unlikely that you'd see anyone fired for these beliefs, even if thousands of pro-life people descended on your employer because you liked Planned Parenthood on Facebook. If there is a slippery slope, I haven't seen it manifest yet. That being said, political beliefs should be covered in non-discrimination law, and I'm shocked more states don't do so.

UrbanRats

Ahaha, all the backpedaling is legendary.
That dude with the confederate flag acting tough, and then going "i'm sorry", lmao.

Are you for real? These people publicly post appallingly racist trash for everyone to see, even beyond the "sweet karma" mentality, it is going to damage these companies big time to support such behaviour, it's only logical to fire them.
This isn't someone saying something vaguely racially insensitive or ignorant, either... look at those tweets.

Psychological mob lynching. People become very virulent and tribalistic when they feel justified to ridicule other people.

I don't think it's humane or intelligent to hold these views in the first place, let alone post them on social media. I'll cede that their are some people who take it too far: sending threats, etc. But free speech comes with consequences. Period. People won't know (or care) what's tolerable until it's not tolerated.

Trojan X

Banned

Sorry, but racist people like that whom wish for death on other deserves to get exposed. No one should wish for another to die.

Ecto311

Can't really say I agree with anything going on here. The racists or the tattlers

I was thinking the same thing. I agree that the racist people are cunts but I also don't like businesses firing people for doing things in their off time that don't effect the work or business. Now if the dude is on twitter in a Jiffy Lube shirt and saying shit it is different but if there is no business being shown then people should be about to do whatever they want.

On the other hand I guess if a business does shitty things then the employee has the ability to leave also. Sucks that some people are learning that they have to watch their mouth by losing their job and not actually understanding how this is a shitty way to live or think. Maybe it's because I live in a small town and surrounded by racist nasty shit all the time so it doesn't seem so bad to me.

There's somethig kinda scummy about this to me. I mean I don't like these racists either, but tracking down their personal information to get them fired also seems kinda weird. I'm gonna go take a shower.

stilgar

It's not a bubble though.

Hateful speech hurts, it's why trolls do it. While I am all for the anonymity of the internet, it tends to pop up in very interesting places (ie, the post on the forum on the new Star Wars trailer that now has a side discussion on the racist tweets about it). Its not like you gotta go do a twitter search for slurs before you run into these nitwits casually doing regular social media usage.

You're right that it can lead to a slippery slope, but id rather have some kind of recourse as opposed to just an 'ignore it'. That's done nothing to stop people from shouting/using epithets here and in real life.

Listen, it make my blood boils too when I see some of these status. And hateful speech hurts, yes. But if you're angry about this kind of speech, I'm all for answering to it, responding with arguments/insults/ridicule , choose your weapon. But denouncing to his/her employer? Nah. I don't know what would be the English for the Frenc slang colllabo but really, that's what I want define.

You're not a policeman (well, maybe you are :p); society didn't give you any mandate to act on public safety. So, except if you see something looking an emergency, a moral imperative (ie, wife beater for example) acting like this does not make you a good citizen. It makes you some kind of cyber vigilante.

Two Words

Do you believe in private justice? I don't. Clear enough?

And I personaly find that denouncing people because they said some stupid shit on the internet is awful, and a very dangerous trend.
Let's say you own a small business. You have an employee that you happened to find out on your own constantly talks about killing minorities or praising the death of minorities and making fun of starvation in Africa. Would you keep this employee on staff? If so, why? If not, what is the difference if some random internet person tip you off instead of finding it yourself?

Ndless

Banned

Are you serious? How is any of that even the same to public hate speech?

I was thinking the same thing. I agree that the racist people are cunts but I also don't like businesses firing people for doing things in their off time that don't effect the work or business. Now if the dude is on twitter in a Jiffy Lube shirt and saying shit it is different but if there is no business being shown then people should be about to do whatever they want.

On the other hand I guess if a business does shitty things then the employee has the ability to leave also. Sucks that some people are learning that they have to watch their mouth by losing their job and not actually understanding how this is a shitty way to live or think. Maybe it's because I live in a small town and surrounded by racist nasty shit all the time so it doesn't seem so bad to me.

As a business, there are lots of things people might do in private that can affect how and who they work with. If my goal as a company were to build diversity or to serve a diverse group of people, I would not want someone who holds backwards and vitriolic opinions on people of color working for me, let alone posting their views publicly when they still work for me.

I say the sex one or the climate change one.

The problem is that this can easily backfire. They may not learn their lesson at all and may turn this into more hate.

well you can't dictate or control a level of hate from people as a whole but you can keep a good prestigious name behind your business by not having any known bigots working for you. If word gets out that X business has racist people working for them and nothing is done about it the business starts to catch a bad wrap from what there ignorant employees said.

stilgar

People have been fired for things that have been said on the internet since it became a public forum where people have willfully attached stupid comments to their names on a number of issues for who knows why. One of the reasons why racist remarks usually hit such a nerve is that it's entirely irrational and reflects extremely poorly on the business in question. In that case, I don't really have any sympathy for those who post these types of remarks because these comments are incongruous to how we're supposed to run a society.

On the other hand, more divisive political beliefs don't result in people being fired. Even though political beliefs are only covered in employment non-discrimination in two states (New York, California, and DC), there are very few examples of anyone fired for pro-choice, pro-life, or pro-Israel beliefs via a quick google search, and most of those tend to be fairly extreme (the pro-choice teacher worked at a Catholic school, the pro-life teacher was apparently harassing his students and coworkers and creating an uncomfortable work environment, the pro-Israel professor wasn't tenured). Because these are beliefs that tend to cut more evenly across the American belief system, it's unlikely that you'd see anyone fired for these beliefs, even if thousands of pro-life people descended on your employer because you liked Planned Parenthood on Facebook. If there is a slippery slope, I haven't seen it manifest yet. That being said, political beliefs should be covered in non-discrimination law, and I'm shocked more states don't do so.

You're saying that the racism of an employee can hurt a business and I agree.
You're saying that racism is not a political belief and I obviously agree.

I still doesn't make it right to report these quotes, except if you're working for this company, and you're worried about the consequences that it could have on your environment.
My main objection is that reporting a crime is not always right. Even if racism is something that make a lot of us angry, myself included, some idiot making a racist statement on his fb page is certainly not worth taking the initiative of a public denunciation.
You don't know the effect of your actions, but you're happy because morally, you're the good side : this ethics of conviction is childish to me, and does more harm than good.

Effect

Always nice to see racist idiots paying the price for spouting their hate speech online with their real names and pictures. Idiots.

This still amazes me. I don't know what it is about social media that caused people to lose their damn minds and to attach their real names and pictures to this vile. People used to do this among their friends or behind closed doors because they knew it was unacceptable. Here comes Twitter and Facebook and that goes out the damn window!?

I'm all in favor of reporting people to the businesses they work for. They should be held accountable for the garbage that comes out of their mouth. Feel free to say what you will but one should not be free of the consequences of what one says when it's vile like this.

Summoner

I'm morally conflicted. Slight upward tug of corners of the mouth seem unavoidable. Not convinced this is best approach to ending rascism though.
Education clearly doesn't work, best way to make people change in general is to hurt their wallet(in this case their jobs). So fuck em.

ivysaur12

Banned

I still doesn't make it right to report these quotes, except if you're working for this company, and you're worried about the consequences that it could have on your environment.
My main objection is that reporting a crime is not always right. Even if racism is something that make a lot of us angry, myself included, some idiot making a racist statement on his fb page is certainly not worth taking the initiative of a public denunciation.
You don't know the effect of your actions, but you're happy because morally, you're the good side : this ethics of conviction is childish to me, and does more harm than good.

I'm not doing anything. I'm merely stating why I don't have any sympathy for people posting brazen, inflammatory racist speech in public forums, and why any concerns about a "slippery slope" is overblown.

Dali

I see absolutely no problem with this. These idiots think the Internet is some sort of refuge, and for years it was, but that's no longer the case. Sorry they have to go back to sharing their ignorance at Klan meetings.

The "Boys will be boys" mind set is ignoring them because of who they are. I'm not saying ignore them, I'm just saying other repercussions that can come up from doing something like this. Glad everyone assumed I meant do absolutely nothing.

glad you care about the way people who hate you are being disciplined from there professional work place.

Two Words

So what is your argument that says its wrong to report it to the company? The person who gets fired will have a rough time and possibly also people that depend on him? Well when they hire a replacement, that new employee now won't be having a rough time and neither will the people that depend on the new person. If we worried about collateral damage constantly, nobody would be fired or go to prison.

Fuchsdh

I have to agree. There's something about the practice that just bothers me.

I agree too, but ultimately I do think it's fair to argue that these people are essentially putting their beliefs into a publicly broadcast zone and shouldn't expect not to get called on it. The sheltered ignorance or pure stupidity involved in throwing out things that would get called out as blatantly racist is somewhat shocking, so I'm generally inclined to think that most of these people aren't the sharpest tools in the shed.

So if I were firing you for saying stuff like this, I might just use the defense that the fact you decided to tweet something so mind-bogglingly bad is evidence of incompetence, rather than get into a debate that you're racist or not.

The reason so many people are blatantly unsympathetic for the people getting fired is very simple. It's the same reason that we are unsympathetic to people who voice backward racial opinions at all: It's the 21st century. In one of the most diverse, progressive and interconnected times in human history, the type and level of obsolescence these people show is intolerable. People say "educate them some other way" when plain and simple, we shouldn't have to. If you somehow live with the view that "Blacks are the lesser race" as a 21st century American and choose to publish those views publicly, you are creating hate speech. I'm sure many people would be happy to sit with these people and hash things out for however long that would take and that would be fine. But if someone observes this speech and decides that going without consequence is inexcusable, that's fine too. The people who create hate speech, one way or another will get their education.

stilgar

I'm not doing anything. I'm merely stating why I don't have any sympathy for people posting brazen, inflammatory racist speech in public forums, and why any concerns about a "slippery slope" is overblown.

I know; I was using the "you" as an hypothetical case; my level in English and all.

Seems like this will create more problems than it will solve. I imagine most people would react to getting fired with more resentment towards whomever than start questioning themselves.

who cares what resentment they build up? they where already fucked from the get go with the racist mindset they have.

Ndless

Banned
Listen, it make my blood boils too when I see some of these status. And hateful speech hurts, yes. But if you're angry about this kind of speech, I'm all for answering to it, responding with arguments/insults/ridicule , choose your weapon. But denouncing to his/her employer? Nah. I don't know what would be the English for the Frenc slang colllabo but really, that's what I want define.

You're not a policeman (well, maybe you are :p); society didn't give you any mandate to act on public safety. So, except if you see something looking an emergency, a moral imperative (ie, wife beater for example) acting like this does not make you a good citizen. It makes you some kind of cyber vigilante.

Wow this argument is such a cop-out.

So this kind of speech makes your blood boil, and it hurts as well, and you are ALL for answering to it, but you'd rather choose the '"weapon" with the least impact: discourse. How naive.

Do you truly think arguing with these people over Twitter is going to change their ways? Really?

Bad actions have bad consequences. You're entitled to your opinion, but society doesn't give a mandate to NOT act on this kind of hate speech the way it has been demonstrated in the OP. Who told YOU it was not ok to denounce people who non-anonymously publicize their hatred towards a group of people?

Calling people out on their bullshit thinking is not vigilantism. People are not being hunted with pitchforks here (how ironic). They are simply facing the consequence of plastering their real names to obviously bad opinions.

Truth is, your argument is old, self-righteous, and inherently contrarian. Having chats with these people is not going to solve anything; being fired/suspended from your job just might. Pretending things are going to change for the better through forum/social media discussion is a far worse offense. You're turning a blind eye to an issue hoping it gets fixed with rationality; this assumption is wrong, considering these people--let alone their way of thinking--are not rational in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom