• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Racists Getting Fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecto311

As a business, there are lots of things people might do in private that can affect how and who they work with. If my goal as a company were to build diversity or to serve a diverse group of people, I would not want someone who holds backwards and vitriolic opinions on people of color working for me, let alone posting their views publicly when they still work for me.

I understand that but if the person is on Facebook being a dumb-ass and has no affiliation to the business then I don't think it should be possible for the business to do anything since there is no connection. This is getting into some 1984 shit to me because for some twitter and Facebook is just a stream of how they think/feel at that time. If in the future thoughts can be read or seen in a public place easier then some people are just fucked even if they put in a good days work and are great in the work place.

Maybe they see a commercial and think "wow that beaner was dumb" - then they get fired just because for them it was a natural thought to them at the time and went public in some way in the future. They may not even be racist in the least but had that thought.

For most firing someone for this is similar to a suspend or firing for beating their wife. Just because you screw someone out of work or a contract with a sports team or whatever it is does not make them a better person. It should be some kind of counseling or similar work to be done.

Now if it is in the contract or hiring material that you could be let go for that kind of thing it changes it to me. When I got on with a few huge companies in the past they said don't talk about them or the in company practices publicly or in a bad light publicly. So I can come home and say work sucked but I cant say working at x company sucks. They have never said anything about coming home and saying that some "racist remark" came in and like the average "racist remark" did this. I assume that if I said something mentioning the name of the company it would be different.

None of the posts on that site are saying "I work at walmart and *racist term* be stealin!" - at least from what I have seen.

Plus as brought up before there could be fake accounts setup to screw people over.

No, they do not.
People deserve to have separation.
If it is not a business website, and they are not posting on their work time and the site does not have business logos on it then no they do not have any right to know.
This kind of thing is a Pandora's Box.

I can agree with that. Racism is one thing but I've heard stories of teachers being fired because there were pictures of them drinking on Facebook. Not getting shit faced mind you. Just drinking.

This is a slippery slope, I feel, because a line has to be drawn regarding what sort of behavior/opinions are a fireable offense. That's where it gets murky for me. I can imagine a situation where a christian boss fires an atheist for posting anti-religious views. At the end of the day, these are all just opinions.

I say all of this yet I completely agree with what's happening in this instance... So I don't know, lol.

It's nice to see that at least a couple of people are using reasoning powers that extend beyond the obvious "Racism bad, lol." statements that have been pervasive throughout this thread. The question isn't whether racism is bad or whether employers have been firing people for things they've done in their personal time: the question is whether or not they should.

As a liberal atheist in the south, I find myself standing apart from almost every majority opinion in the region. I think it should be illegal to force children below a certain age to go to church, legal to have abortions, legal to allow medically-assisted suicides, and all sorts of opinions that would most likely get me fired (Or shunned/pushed out) if a name was associated with my opinions. This isn't a trend that should be celebrated and people are right to criticize it, even when it's superficially satisfying to see racist people get theirs.

Consider it a lesson in being black: their job prospects and employability are now harmed by virtue of something unrelated to their ability to do a job.

stilgar

Truth is, your argument is old, self-righteous, and inherently contrarian. Having chats with these people is not going to solve anything; being fired/suspended from your job just might. Pretending things are going to change for the better through forum/social media discussion is a far worse offense. You're turning a blind eye to an issue hoping it gets fixed with rationality; this assumption is wrong, considering these people--let alone their way of thinking--are not rational in the first place.

If you don't see anything inherently wrong with exposing people instead of answering to them, go on then. Go and denounce away.

I understand that but if the person is on Facebook being a dumb-ass and has no affiliation to the business then I don't think it should be possible for the business to do anything since there is no connection. This is getting into some 1984 shit to me because for some twitter and Facebook is just a stream of how they think/feel at that time. If in the future thoughts can be read or seen in a public place easier then some people are just fucked even if they put in a good days work and are great in the work place.

Maybe they see a commercial and think "wow that beaner was dumb" - then they get fired just because for them it was a natural thought to them at the time and went public in some way in the future. They may not even be racist in the least but had that thought.

For most firing someone for this is similar to a suspend or firing for beating their wife. Just because you screw someone out of work or a contract with a sports team or whatever it is does not make them a better person. It should be some kind of counseling or similar work to be done.

Now if it is in the contract or hiring material that you could be let go for that kind of thing it changes it to me. When I got on with a few huge companies in the past they said don't talk about them or the in company practices publicly or in a bad light publicly. So I can come home and say work sucked but I cant say working at x company sucks. They have never said anything about coming home and saying that some "racist remark" came in and like the average "racist remark" did this. I assume that if I said something mentioning the name of the company it would be different.

None of the posts on that site are saying "I work at walmart and *racist term* be stealin!" - at least from what I have seen.

Plus as brought up before there could be fake accounts setup to screw people over.

If you believe it's 1984-esque, blame it on the set up of social media itself. If you're friends with a Hispanic person or friends with your boss or your bosses wife or friends with people who know Hispanic people or friends with Hispanic customers, maybe you shouldn't post X,Y,Z about "beaners". There's a reason that schools, jobs and counselors advise that you always think before you post something. I learned this same stuff 10 years ago when I was in High School. It can affect your job, your future job, your relationships. That's the age we live in. With a louder megaphone, more people will hear what you say. It's up to you as the individual to make sure it's not racist or the person you don't want to hear is gonna hear. That's the price of inter-connectivity; Accountability. If you're capable of watching what you say, maybe you should watch what you spend time typing out. And if your go to is to utilize slurs when you're "having a bad day" then maybe there are some ingrained issues with the way you view the world that could affect your relationships negatively.

Ndless

Banned
If you don't see anything inherently wrong with exposing people instead of answering to them, go on then. Go and denounce away.

Oh, no counter-argument? I'm disappoint.

What is answering to them? I mean, I'm scratching my head here buddy. What do you hope to accomplish with these people? You don't have a plan, that much is clear. You keep saying 'answer to them' like it means something, but it doesn't. You mean having a discussion? You mean telling them how racism is not ok? How is not ok to wish the death of people with a different melanin production?

I mean, surely they must not know it's not OK! You're right, they must be shown the error in their ways!

SMH.

Do you truly think they don't know this? Racism is targeted discrimination. They have been socially conditioned by their environment to reject understanding. You telling them, especially through the lowest form of communication--text, and on the Internet at that--is not going to change a damn thing. But it makes your "blood boil", right?

Sure. Go on ahead to YouTube's comment section, and change the world one comment at a time. You can do it kiddo!

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I'm 100% in support of this. It's far past time that people are called out and forced to deal with the consequences of sitting behind a screen being a racist, bigot, bully, ect..

Consider it a lesson in being black: their job prospects and employability are now harmed by virtue of something unrelated to their ability to do a job.

Well said.

Two Words

There is nothing wrong with exposing people for they people they really are. Get this wannabe "snitches get stitches" attitude out of here.

masud

Banned
Nah, but stupidity is definitely a genetic thing, and most racists are just complete fucking heehaw morons.

There are lots of smart racists out there they just dont post dumb shit on Facebook. You think Remingtons smarter still employed brother isn't just as racist?

i'm also not sure how i should think about this.

Thing is, they're not being fired because the boss is disgusted by them but because there are outside people, possible consumers, who are not okay with it.

If i got 100 emails saying "your parking lot smells like poop" i can't be all "deal with it, i like that rural smell!".

i do believe this doesn't really contribute to these people learning their lessons, really ... as all they'll take away will be "fucking n
a
ggers got me fired." and not "i better rethink my thoughts on racial issues" :/

I'm with you here. On one hand I like seeing this happen. On the other it really bothers me that people can lose their jobs for saying what's on their minds, as vile as it is. And I don't think this will teach most of them anything.

quickwhips

I'm with you here. On one hand I like seeing this happen. On the other it really bothers me that people can lose their jobs for saying what's on their minds, as vile as it is. And I don't think this will teach most of them anything.
You are always allowed to say what you want just be ready for what might happen.

if the person is black and the resentment is coming from a white bigot then he was in a lose lose situation anyways. Ok black guy I don't resent you today so you can be a monkey instead of a nagger.
I mean, I was just thinking of it as a difference between "I hate black people for no real reason" and now "I hate black people because I think they got me fired, so now I might do something worse than bitch about it online".

I'm not sure how I'd go about avoiding that problem though.

stilgar

Oh, no counter-argument? I'm disappoint.

What is answering to them? I mean, I'm scratching my head here buddy. What do you hope to accomplish with these people? You don't have a plan, that much is clear. You keep saying 'answer to them' like it means something, but it doesn't. You mean having a discussion? You mean telling them how racism is not ok? How is not ok to wish the death of people with a different melanin production?

I mean, surely they must not know it's not OK! You're right, they must be shown the error in their ways!

SMH.

Do you truly think they don't know this? Racism is targeted discrimination. They have been socially conditioned by their environment to reject understanding. You telling them, especially through the lowest form of communication--text, and on the Internet at that--is not going to change a damn thing. But it makes your "blood boil", right?

Sure. Go on ahead to YouTube's comment section, and change the world one comment at a time. You can do it kiddo!

I've made my point, you don't seem to even try to understand it, and it's ok.
Next time though, you should quit the passive aggressive witty tone, it doesn't help us communicating. It's not required to be an asshole with a man you're disagreeing with.

Get this wannabe "snitches get stitches" attitude out of here.

The hell is going on here. You won, internet justice, I'm out now.

0e3.png

Some people here would rather these people keep their jobs? Doesn't make sense for any sort of business to condone hateful comments such as these, and what if they ever move up in the company?

You'd do the same thing if you heard one of these employees say the same shit in public aloud.

I mean, I was just thinking of it as a difference between "I hate black people for no real reason" and now "I hate black people because I think they got me fired, so now I might do something worse than bitch about it online".

Again, that's nobodies fault but the racist persons. Who you should be blaming instead of the person who got them fired.

Again, that's nobodies fault but the racist persons. Who you should be blaming instead of the person who got them fired.
Wouldn't it be better to try an approach that would help them realize what they're doing wrong though instead of one that will only fuel the fire?

I'm 100% in support of this. It's far past time that people are called out and forced to deal with the consequences of sitting behind a screen being a racist, bigot, bully, ect..
I agree.

Before social media came along, if I was a racist dick spouting off shit to other people at parties, ect... my actions would really have no consequences on my employer's company at all because it's highly unlikely its clients would ever hear of it. Now they do.

I kinda see it like the old days being in a crowded room and whispering something to someone standing beside me, whereas today I'm freely using a megaphone. The world these days is a hell of a lot smaller.

I wouldn't fire an employee for just being a sexist or racist idiot... I'd fire him as well for being a dumbass in front of everyone else, like the guy at the office party that gets too drink and starts spewing shit.

Ian

Wouldn't it be better to try an approach that would help them realize what they're doing wrong though instead of one that will only fuel the fire?

It's 2014. If these idiots don't realise that racism is wrong, they never will.

Awesome. I love it too when Gawker collects all the Tweets and screenshots them in similar instances. These racist scum deserve their comeuppance.

Two Words

I've made my point, you don't seem to even try to understand it, and it's ok.
Next time though, you should quit the passive aggressive witty tone, it doesn't help us communicating. It's not required to be an asshole with a man you're disagreeing with.

The hell is going on here. You won, internet justice, I'm out now.
Fucking wake up and realize they are doing the company and the people the company serves a favor because they don't want to be employing or served by a racist.

Juice

Worries of a slippery slope in this thread aren't very well thought out.

You know why online lynch mobs won't go after infidels/atheists/republicans/democrats/cheaters/abortionists/etc? Two reasons: large enough minorities exist to backlash against such vigilantism, and employers don't care enough about those sorts of things to respond.

Open racism is entirely toxic to civil discourse on the U.S. in a way that virtually nothing else is. Employers hate having to fire people over these distractions, because it's a huge time sink to fire, document, recruit, and hire replacements. The reason they're firing them anyway is that racism is a distinctive third rail in our country and if you touch it you're going to get burned.

Edit: and to everyone abusing the phrase "free speech" in this thread: there is no example here of free speech being limited. There is no government actor limiting speech here at all. There is the free and allowed speech of racism and hatred, then the free and allowed speech of the internet vigilantes, then the free and allowed speech of the employers. This is not a "free speech" issue.

If anyone wants to, they can feel free. Some people respond to a good talking too, some don't. Some have these prejudices engrained in them and some are old enough that they have no excuses for not educating themselves on their own time. In the end, it's not on anyone to educate or "not add fuel to the fire". Individuals are personally responsible for what they say and do pre and post consequences. If the person in question can't connect that "the thing I said = a thing I was fired for = an opinion that is considered intolerable" then sometimes there's very little any one person can do to completely change their world view

I've already answered this exact question but i'll say it again, 99% of the time arguing with a racist does nothing, regardless of what rational you try to use with them. Ideally yes, I would love to do your approach but most of the time it is fruitless. Take this thread for example, I don't consider most of you racist but look at how stagnant the conversation has been going? If it takes this much effort to try to convince people why this is OK, imagine how much work it takes to convince a racist person that their views are hazardous?

Which is why it's better to go to the route of removing them from a position where they can spread/apply their nonsense.

RiZ III

This is really childish. Getting fired won't make these people change their feelings on race. It will just make them bitter and angry. If everyone started being fired for stupid shit they said online, no one would be employed.

What I find more disturbing is people have these thoughts in their heads and not knowing. I'd rather know someone is racist or a bigot so I could just avoid them in real life.

wuOMSLF.gif

Always speaking truth. Doesn't hurt that I always read your posts as coming from Idris Elba, which adds an extra sense of weight to them for whatever reason

Honestly I don't care if they hate black people, but the last thing we need is more racists in everyday industries. Even having a racist working in a clothing store can be damaging.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I enjoy when racists spout their bullshit because it makes it easier for me to know which people are too stupid to deal with.

This is really childish. Getting fired won't make these people change their feelings on race. It will just make them bitter and angry. If everyone started being fired for stupid shit they said online, no one would be employed.

They are already bitter. And this isn't stupid shit like X football team sucks. It's hate speech. Plain and simple. Employers and recruiters since the advent of social media have taught that you should watch what you post on social media. It can affect personal and professional relationships. I'm sure people who think black people should go back to Africa can be replaced with a competent individual who doesn't hold such a view.

Two Words

It will allow that company to get rid of a racist. That way the company does not have to worry that its employee isn't serving its customers in a bad way or that the employees under that employee aren't mistreated.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".

dzioxZ4.gif

This a real one.

I've said my fair share of dumb, hateful and ignorant stuff on the internet. If that karma come back around then so be it. I have no sympathy for anyone else that digs their own grave.

Dali

It's nice to see that at least a couple of people are using reasoning powers that extend beyond the obvious "Racism bad, lol." statements that have been pervasive throughout this thread. The question isn't whether racism is bad this hether employers have been firing people for things they've done in their personal time: the question is whether or not they should.

As a liberal atheist in the south, I find myself standing apart from almost every majority opinion in the region. I think it should be illegal to force children below a certain age to go to church, legal to have abortions, legal to allow medically-assisted suicides, and all sorts of opinions that would most likely get me fired (Or shunned/pushed out) if a name was associated with my opinions. This isn't a trend that should be celebrated and people are right to criticize it, even when it's superficially satisfying to see racist people get theirs.

Unless you believe there is a "right" side to racism then your entire post holds no water. I'm a liberal aethist that lives in the south as well. The thing is, you can argue your side on euthanasia and at the end of the day both sides may have merit. You can't accept this type of racism as anything but hate speech. There's no opinion worth discussing. There's no "side" worth hearing out.

Who cares if they become more racist? A person who is moderately racist isn't any better then a person who is extremely racist. Also these people aren't getting them fired. They are simply calling their employers and letting them know what they posted (and due to the public nature of it, their employers could've equally have had seen it on their own). It's up to the employer to decide whether or not to fire them (which makes perfect business sense for a variety of reasons to do so).

Some people here would rather these people keep their jobs? Doesn't make sense for any sort of business to condone hateful comments such as these, and what if they ever move up in the company?

You'd do the same thing if you heard one of these employees say the same shit in public aloud.

It's not about the racists or their hateful comments: it's about the precedent of giving employers even greater control of our lives than they already have. There is an extreme danger to all of us in doing so even if most people in this thread don't see it.

I've seen a lot of extraordinarily shitty people who had the power to hire and fire others and I imagine a lot of others have too. In this particular instance, people are fired for bigotry and you're supportive of it. What about when someone is fired for posting in support of abortion, marching in a gay pride parade, or possessing positive views of atheism?

Worries of a slippery slope in this thread aren't very well thought out.

You know why online lynch mobs won't go after infidels/atheists/republicans/democrats/cheaters/abortionists/etc? Two reasons: large enough minorities exist to backlash against such vigilantism, and employers don't care enough about those sorts of things to respond.

Your assertion is completely detached from reality as these kinds of terminations can and do already happen without the backlash you speak of. There's also the very obvious fact that an employer in an at-will state could easily veil the true reasoning of a termination behind some other infraction. Ever been a few minutes late to work? Ever been a few minutes late when getting back from lunch? Ever taken a sick day when you weren't really sick? I'm willing to bet that those 3 questions alone would get at least one 'Yes' from 99.9% of the working population and any could be used as legitimate grounds for termination in an at-will state.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Those are different.

I don't think any rational employer would really give a shit about someone's beliefs on climate change, or abortion, or Obama. What you're seeing here is people posting something that's considered so particularly awful in American culture that's incompatible with a belief system that we as a society have decided to adhere to (that racism is bad). Obviously people hold private beliefs that are different than this, but that's probably different than liking Planned Parenthood on Facebook.
I think it is a mistake to believe that these employers give a shit about their employees beliefs beyond the potential blow back to their business.
A better example might be anti-police sentiments, or pro riot sentiments posted about Ferguson. I imagine a lot of employers would rather fire an employee than have to defend a 'fucking pigs' comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom