• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radeon RX480 Review Thread, Launching Now!

DPB

Has there been anything on the 470 yet? Can't seem to find much on it.

Some of the specs have been released, it's 2048 shaders and 4 GB only. Still no clock speed yet, just a vague ">4 TFLOPS" like the 480 was ">5 TFLOPS", so it's difficult to estimate how it'll perform.

No release date yet either.

wachie

D8sxR1.gif
It's not moving anything, it lines up with what he originally said.

Josh5890

I hope the event in July gives us a good idea of what to expect the next 6 months or so. I just built a whole new PC with my HD 6950. My i5 6600K isn't worth a whole lot at the moment lol.

I want to get the RX 480 since the 1070 prices are nuts and I would like to keep is below $350. However the rumors of the 1060 are getting me to hold back for now. I just want to be able to get a card by August.

kevin1025

Banned
Some of the specs have been released, it's 2048 shaders and 4 GB only. Still no clock speed yet, just a vague ">4 TFLOPS" like the 480 was ">5 TFLOPS", so it's difficult to estimate how it'll perform.

No release date yet either.

Thanks! It's the one I'm most interested in so I'll keep an eye out to see how it fares against the 480.

A $200 card is performing like Nvidia and AMD's $300+ card from the previous generation. I'm satisfied.

300 would get you an 8GB r9 390 non-reference card

A non reference 8GB rx 480 is not 200 dollars, the reference 8GB 480s are already 240 dollars

Add the cost of an aib version and you're rubbing up right against the old prices

I agree a 200 dollar equivalent to the 300 dollar card would be nice, but that isn't the case at all.
Reminds me of a car dealer proposing a car loan xD only x dollars a month* small text of doom

Not sure what your looking at, but is it total system wattage maybe?

Is the site down? I can't load the page. One of my buddies said that and I was stupid and should have looked first. I can't get on the site though.

Edit: Yea definitely was. Should only comment after I've seen it with my own eyes in the future.

A non reference 8GB rx 480 is not 200 dollars, the reference 8GB 480s are already 240 dollars

Add the cost of an aib version and you're rubbing up right against the old prices

I agree a 200 dollar equivalent to the 300 dollar card would be nice, but that isn't the case at all.
Reminds me of a car dealer proposing a car loan xD only x dollars a month* small text of doom
And what about the old $200 dollar cards? The 960 and the 380....

Herne

Hmm why is that one so much lower than this one?

Because the guy who runs or owns or edits the site is miffed over AMD snubbing him and HardOCP by not inviting him to Capsaicin or the E3 event and not sending cards for review, apparently. People on Reddit have been showing off some his posts, and to be honest, yeah, he seems pretty salty about it.

Haven't read the review myself yet, but I'd be wary of it. Obviously if they're reporting lower numbers than everyone else, we know what's up.

Since when does an AIB add $60 to the price? You have 1070 AIBs right now going for $400 that's $20 over the MSRP not $60.

I also like how when comparing the 480 to Nvidia card the power draw is concerning, but apparently the lower power draw of the 480 don't mean shit when you can get a 390 for only 60$ more...

If there are 480 AIBs reaching $300 I expect them to have significant over clocks and handily beat the 390 especially after the first round of driver updates.

Your repeated attempts to make the 480 seem like a poor value are getting pathetic.

Because the guy who runs or owns or edits the site is miffed over AMD snubbing him and HardOCP by not inviting him to Capsaicin or the E3 event and not sending cards for review, apparently. People on Reddit have been showing off some his posts, and to be honest, yeah, he seems pretty salty about it.

Haven't read the review myself yet, but I'd be wary of it. Obviously if they're reporting lower numbers than everyone else, we know what's up.

Sounds familiar

RootCause

Wow, if that's true, some people really can't be objective, and clearly don't give a damn about helping the consumer makie an informed decision.

wachie

Since when does an AIB add $60 to the price? You have 1070 AIBs right now going for $400 that's $20 over the MSRP not $60.

I also like how when comparing the 480 to Nvidia card the power draw is concerning, but apparently the lower power draw of the 480 don't mean shit when you can get a 390 for only 60$ more...

If there are 480 AIBs reaching $300 I expect them to have significant over clocks and handily beat the 390 especially after the first round of driver updates.

Your repeated attempts to make the 480 seem like a poor value are getting pathetic.
He conveniently side stepped when I pointed his hyperbole earlier, we know his m.o.

Sinistral

HardOCP actually tests very differently than other sites. They change settings to find an acceptable frame rate (arbitrarily up to the reviewer), and run those same settings on other cards for an apples to apples comparison. Other review sites may throw on the default ultra setting and let the card rip. Results will differ because of settings.

It's funny but HardOCP actually had the BEST results when it came to power consumption. Showing a full system with an RX4 80 drawing ~50watts less than the same system using the GTX 970 during gaming. Which is in their review. On their forums they've said they're purchasing some retail cards to further test.

How the hell does the card draw an extra 100w over the 6pin?

It's running the PCI-e slot and 6-pin power connector out of spec.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/4qfwd4/rx480_fails_pcie_specification/

HardOCP actually tests very differently than other sites. They change settings to find an acceptable frame rate (arbitrarily up to the reviewer), and run those same settings on other cards for an apples to apples comparison. Other review sites may throw on the default ultra setting and let the card rip. Results will differ because of settings.

It's funny but HardOCP actually had the BEST results when it came to power consumption. Showing a full system with an RX4 80 drawing ~50watts less than the same system using the GTX 970 during gaming. Which is in their review. On their forums they've said they're purchasing some retail cards to further test.

Yes, HardOCP are known for using actual gameplay to test. This makes their reviews the most subjective of any review but they are the only ones who actually know what it's like to play games with the cards because they actually play games with the cards.

I like to read their reviews for the commentary and subjective opinion but for basic numbers they aren't the best nor do they pretend to be about millions of bar charts like every other review.

ethomaz

Banned
Hmm why is that one so much lower than this one?
They use the best setting they can get with the card.

1920x1080
AA On
Graphic Preset Ultra
HBAO+
Processing Preset High
HairWorks Off

The other graphic is using Max quality (I don't know what this means) and possible HBOA disabled.

lol

They are one of the most reliable bench you can found... the way is different from all others reviews because they choose to test the best playable options you can get with the card at that resolution and shows how the framerate maintain during 30 minutes.

BTW they are reporting better results for RX 480 than most of the others reviews.

They are really good in the tests.

Wow, if that's true, some people really can't be objective, and clearly don't give a damn about helping the consumer makie an informed decision.
While the story is true about they don't getting invite to the event the review is one of the best you can read and shows a better RX 480 than most reviews on the internet.

Witcher 3 specifically you shouldn't compare benchmarks from different sites, it doesn't have a built in benchmark so every site uses a different test run.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
If drivers end up changing the performance over time, are there any sites that give updated performance results? Not as part of the review, of course, but just in some kind of database or an update article.

Yikes. Sounds like the power consumption is way off claims in a dangerous way from page links from the Reddit post. Just spent time reading through it.

It's running the PCI-e slot and 6-pin power connector out of spec.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/4qfwd4/rx480_fails_pcie_specification/

Yes, HardOCP are known for using actual gameplay to test. This makes their reviews the most subjective of any review but they are the only ones who actually know what it's like to play games with the cards because they actually play games with the cards.

I like to read their reviews for the commentary and subjective opinion but for basic numbers they aren't the best nor do they pretend to be about millions of bar charts like every other review.

What in the hell is going on. I read through the thread. That is not looking good, at all.

They use the best setting they can get with the card.

1920x1080
AA On
Graphic Preset Ultra
HBAO+
Processing Preset High
HairWorks Off

The other graphic is using Max quality (I don't know what this means) and possible HBOA disabled.

Funny HBOA+ from what I've heard actually is less of a performance hit on AMD. I assumed it was just a different location, but even then the min frames on the HardOCP is 37 vs the 60+ at Techspot. I would bet it's somewhere in between, because most sites have the avg framerate at 50+.

Witcher 3 specifically you shouldn't compare benchmarks from different sites, it doesn't have a built in benchmark so every site uses a different test run.

Yeah, I'm using a 7970 and performance is drastically different based on location. Also in one of the early W3 480 videos it kept throttling for seemingly no reason. Temps were the same as non throttling games. Seems like a driver issue.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
What in the hell is going on. I read through the thread. That is not looking good, at all.

The back-peddling/misleading is ridiculous. When has the power consumption of only the GPU chip ever been relevant? People only care about the power consumption of the entire card.

Looks like the thread was even removed at one point but brought back because people were pissed.

Right in line with my expectations on most things. Very concerned about the PCI-E power draw issue though. I'm gonna sit back and see how this plays out.

Duxxy3

If drivers end up changing the performance over time, are there any sites that give updated performance results? Not as part of the review, of course, but just in some kind of database or an update article.

Best bet would be a review of a different card later on. So if you're looking to see how drivers improve for the 480, then wait until reviews for the 490 to come out. The 480 will likely be one of the cards tested, and by then the drivers will have been improved.

The back-peddling/misleading is ridiculous. When has the power consumption of only the GPU chip ever been relevant? People only care about the power consumption of the entire card.

Looks like the thread was even removed at one point but brought back because people were pissed.

No but it's drawing power beyond the rating of the board and 6 pin that is cause for concern. I don't care as much about the power draw if the card stays relatively cool, OC's well and performance well. But I don't want to damage my board by running the card.

Herne

lol

They are one of the most reliable bench you can found... the way is different from all others reviews because they choose to test the best playable options you can get with the card at that resolution and shows how the framerate maintain during 30 minutes.

BTW they are gettng better results for RX 480 than most of the others reviews.

And good on them, but this has been posted about for a while, to the point that they were talking about it on their forums. I haven't read too much into myself, but apparently he was saying things like Polaris can't reach over 850MHz (the cards run at about 1200MHz), Polaris is delayed to October (launched yesterday, June 29th), the Polaris stack is about to collapse (I have no idea what this one means), and more I think.

Someone posted these on the AMD subreddit (the most unbiased place, I know) -

2Iyr9tM.jpg

hxJP39k.jpg

Eh, I'm not invested in this at all. If it's just fans being butthurt, then okay. If HardOCP (a site I have plenty of respect for) did an honest and great 480 review, then great. But this stuff does kinda paint a picture.

No but it's drawing power beyond the rating of the board and 6 pin that is cause for concern. I don't care as much about the power draw if the card stays relatively cool, OC's well and performance well. But I don't want to damage my board by running the card.

Hopefully AIBs fix that issue. Even so it seems like a low threat. Although a cheap card like this will attract penny pinchers with cheaper/older MBs.

Says you maybe...

Dude. This card annihilates the 960 and 380/380X, which were the $200 cards mere months ago. I built a PC a few months back, I know what the old recommendations at that price point were.

You are kidding yourself if you think the 480 isn't a significant improvement over the 960 and 380.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

That goes without saying, I already mentioned earlier today that if they knew the card came anywhere near 150W, let alone over, they should have included an 8 pin or dual 6 pin. Their PCB is either faulty and needs to be recalled, or it never should have had a "maximum" power draw of 150W.

Dude. This card annihilates the 960 and 380/380X, which were the $200 cards mere months ago. I built a PC a few months back, I know what the old recommendations at that price point were.

You are kidding yourself if you think the 480 isn't a significant improvement over the 960 and 380.

Sorry forgot the /s in my post

I was also referring how people are disappointed the 480 doesn't decimate the 970/390/39x

Sorry forgot the /s in my post

I was also referring how people are disappointed the 480 doesn't decimate the 970/390/39x

Thank goodness. I thought you were sincere.

I'm considering switching from a 970 to a 480 since I can sell my 970 and get the 480 for basically free, and I would finally be free of the shackles of 3.5 GB of VRAM. I want to support AMD.

NimbusD

Just got done with a play session with overwatch on epic settings 1440p, had a pretty consistent 60fps (I can see some people wanting a bit higher in which case I think 1080 would have rocked it).

Gotta say I'm pretty happy. Went to microcenter today thinking I was going to get a 1070, but thought about it and was like if I'm going to go that route, I can always upgrade later and sell this guy for a few bucks, and If I'm going to shell out for the 1070 I'd rather do that when the price calms down and there's non-references available.

It pulls more power than the "official" 75W + 75W = 150W that the PCI-e slot and 6-pin power connector can technically allow. TPU measured it pulling 163W, other sites have also measured similar draw. When overclocked it apparently can pull over 200W from connectors rated for only 150W to stay in spec!

Is this seriously potentially harmful? Nobody seems to know, up until now video cards have respected the PCI-e power specs. The 1080 is like all Nvidia cards which have BIOS-locked power limits, you cannot make a single 8-pin connector 1080 pull more than 75 + 150 = 225W no matter how hard you try, the BIOS will throttle the card back.

There are of course custom 1080's with more than 1 connector, and those have higher power limits like the MSI 1080 Gaming X which has a BIOS that lets the card pull 240W from the 2x 8-pin connectors. Other custom 1080's are similar.

This wouldn't be a problem if AMD weren't so hellbent on fitting a 6-pin connector on a card that draws power like the 1070 and 1080, cards which have 8-pin connectors. Why they would do this is a mystery, just put a damn 8-pin connector on the reference card and be done with it. This is a really dumb mistake that AMD made and there was absolutely no good reason to make it, they know what the damn PCI-e specs are and they know damn well they shouldn't exceed them. The specs aren't decorative or anything.

Thank goodness. I thought you were sincere.

I'm considering switching from a 970 to a 480 since I can sell my 970 and get the 480 for basically free, and I would finally be free of the shackles of 3.5 GB of VRAM. I want to support AMD.

I'm with you. I had the 460GTX with 768MB and it was VRam limited after a year. I bought the 7870 2GB and it was VRam limited in Batman and Mordor. Other games hurt too just not as much. I wouldn't buy 4GB.

It pulls more power than the "official" 75W + 75W = 150W that the PCI-e slot and 6-pin power connector can technically allow. TPU measured it pulling 163W, other sites have also measured similar draw. When overclocked it apparently can pull over 200W from connectors rated for only 150W to stay in spec!

Is this seriously potentially harmful? Nobody seems to know, up until now video cards have respected the PCI-e power specs. The 1080 is like all Nvidia cards which have BIOS-locked power limits, you cannot make a single 8-pin connector 1080 pull more than 75 + 150 = 225W no matter how hard you try, the BIOS will throttle the card back.

There are of course custom 1080's with more than 1 connector, and those have higher power limits like the MSI 1080 Gaming X which has a BIOS that lets the card pull 240W from the 2x 8-pin connectors. Other custom 1080's are similar.

This wouldn't be a problem if AMD weren't so hellbent on fitting a 6-pin connector on a card that draws power like the 1070 and 1080, cards which have 8-pin connectors. Why they would do this is a mystery, just put a damn 8-pin connector on the reference card and be done with it. This is a really dumb mistake that AMD made and there was absolutely no good reason to make it, they know what the damn PCI-e specs are and they know damn well they shouldn't exceed them. The specs aren't decorative or anything.

Opps double post

My cynical side tells me they wanted to match/beat the 970/390 and had to up the clocks at the last minute. If not that then they just took a calculated risk that most modern PCI-E slots could handle the extra draw and saved some pennies on the card/projected a low power consumption image.

To be honest NVidia and AMD reference cards are trash just in varying degrees.

Opps double post

My cynical side tells me they wanted to match/beat the 970/390 and had to up the clocks at the last minute. If not that then they just took a calculated risk that most modern PCI-E slots could handle the extra draw and saved some pennies on the card/projected a low power consumption image.

To be honest NVidia and AMD reference cards are trash just in varying degrees.

What AMD did is genuinely reckless and dangerous though, can you imagine trying to run 2x 480s in CF and pulling over 100W x2 from PCI-e slots rated to provide 75W x2? We're talking blowing motherboards up here, this is way beyond just the usual criticism of reference cards.

I think a decent motherboard with lots of power phases and dark chokes and Japanese solid capacitors and that kind of thing could probably handle a single 480 no sweat. The problem is that most AMD video card buyers also have budget or bargain mobos and those are the ones at the most risk from not being able to take having their PCI-e slot run out of spec.

Top Bottom