• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rag Doll Kung Fu: Fists of Plastic thread of fun local multiplayer

Dragnet

Rapping Granny said:
I don't know how to reply to this dumb post.

So I'll just name a game that relies all on physics and has online, LBP.

And it's laggy as fuck. And also not a fighting game.

Banned
Dragnet said:
I'm utterly sick of you all moaning about no online. The game clearly relies heavily on physics, and we all know physics + online gameplay are not a good mix. See GTA IV, you'll hit someone with your car and your system will throw them one way, but their system throws them into a different place and they suddenly pop into a new position on your screen.

I explained that horribly but hopefully you get the point. Quit moaning people. If it did have online you'd moan out your ass about how people are lagging all over the place, not responding to hits in the right way, etc etc. stfu.

how does LBP do it?

Banned
corkscrewblow said:
Damn this looks fucking awesome. At $9.99 I would buy in a heartbeat if there was online play.

tisk tisk

I just bought the game, would have paid 15 for it...

you just know in a few months there will be a €5 online patch, or 12.99 for both. at least I hope so anyway.

Banned
Dragnet said:
And it's laggy as fuck. And also not a fighting game.

I just had my very first proper online session with LBP today and it's not laggy at all...

Please Dragnet, using physics as an excuse for no online MP is silly when the majority of games use realtime physics these days.

I have yet to see any video showcasing physics any more intensive than the PC game which was online.

I would like to see some more use of the youtube recording, though.

Len Dontree

Animator. Respect knuckles.
00011000 said:
I just bought the game, would have paid 15 for it...

you just know in a few months there will be a €5 online patch, or 12.99 for both. at least I hope so anyway.

You hope to get charged for a months-late online mode for a fighting game? :?

Well, the good thing with Western developers as opposed to Japanese developers, in my opinion, is that they, sometimes (or rarely), listen to our grunts, so luckily this is one of those times.

A.R.K

It looks good!

But WTF no online!!!! Why do devs on PSN take out online game play??? The physics excuse for no online is pure BS! I bet if it was on 360 it would have online for sure. :/

Pojo

Banned
No demo plus no online means I'm definitely waiting. Offline is a bigger deal than online for me with fighters, but smooth online is still a huge selling point.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
They've said a demo is coming, just not before release, obviously.

But have they said anything concrete about the game eventually going online?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Rapping Granny said:
I don't know how to reply to this dumb post.

So I'll just name a game that relies all on physics and has online, LBP.
LBP doesnt have to mantain 60FPS... and last time i tried was really laggy.

Fersis said:
LBP doesnt have to mantain 60FPS... and last time i tried was really laggy.

You people act like this is Crysis or something, the physics don't even look that impressive or complicated.

This is just Sony being Sony, and you guys should stop making these excuses for them and defending this shit, and the sooner you do that, the better it is for everyone.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Rapping Granny said:
You people act like this is Crysis or something, the physics don't even look that impressive or complicated.

This is just Sony being Sony, and you guys should stop making these excuses for them and defending this shit, and the sooner you do that, the better it is for everyone.
:lol
Im not defending anyone ! Just saying that 60FPS + physics + 4 player online its not easy (if posible) to do.
And the game wasnt developed by a first party studio.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Rapping Granny said:
Wow, what are you TALKING about? This has nothing to do with Sony at all, it has everything to do with Tarsier Studios. I'm sure they would have loved to do online, but as others have pointed out it was likely a budget problem. C'est la vie.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I'm glad this game has youtube recording to it, heck all ps3 games especially little big planet should have it but it is a damn shame this game does not have online. I'm not sure if I should buy this or not, since it looks like fun albeit a little
racist

Banned
the game is actually really good. well worth the €10.

Some observations:
1) Extremely polished visuals - 720P, rock solid 60fps, no tearing, no slowdowns
2) Nice use of the SIXAXIS. eg, turn upside-down to meditate
3) Collision with scenery/objects is much more precise than in LBP
4) Jump is pressure sensitive
5) There is A LOT of physics involved here. Much more so than in LBP in terms of character vs. character interactions.
6) Arms can be controlled individually like in LBP with the sticks
7) Only 3000 people on the leaderboards so far
8) No custom soundtracks
9) Character editor is OK, nothing special, and feels a bit tacked on. Especially with no online mode to show them off.
10) Weapons are VERY satisfying to use with the right stick!

I've obviously only scratched the surface of the combat itself, but I imagine it can't hold a candle to more hardcore beat 'em ups. This is strictly a party game IMO, but there are LOADS of moves to learn which makes the learning curve quite steep.

EDIT: HAHAHAH... You have to try the "Capture the Fish" challenge! Hilarious.

Puck

Banned
Loudninja said:
Can we get some impressions please?
This is a really great game.
It's a lot like super smash brothers when playing with friends / real people.

After playing tutorial and 2 challenges, i like some of the sixaxis. I think the meditate is really good and more games should have moves like that. I am not liking having the super punch move when you need to aim and throw the controller though

soldat7

Two things that are interesting:

1) Rag Doll Kung Fu started as a project by future Media Molecule folk. Very interesting.
2) Racing games work great online and employ far more advanced physics engines. Interesting.

itxaka

Defeatist
So what's with the physics on the game? I don't see anything out of the ordinary in the video chubigans posted.

"So what's with the physics on the game? I don't see anything out of the ordinary in the video chubigans posted."

There isn't anything out of the ordinary. Some people will just believe anything that's fed to them.

Fizzle

I wanna buy this game so bad that I would use something like X-Link Kai or anything similar just so I can kick some plastic butt online.

If someone showed me how to.

Dreavus

Looks awesome, but to echo others in this thread, no online is pretty disappointing. Maybe it could be implemented down the road?

rexor0717

Speevy said:
This game screams for online. Get on it, developer.
It really does. So far, I am really enjoying the game. Plenty of content for a $10 game. The fighting mechanics are very easy to understand. My one problem is having to jolt the controller to do a firefly attack. But I'm getting better at it.

vg260

corkscrewblow said:
Damn this looks fucking awesome. At $9.99 I would buy in a heartbeat if there was online play.

tisk tisk

Same here. Woulda been a no-brainer purchase otherwise.

could someone who's played this game actually explain its appeal?

i've watched the videos, and i'm not seeing anything amazing physics based at all.

Wollan

Mike Works said:
could someone who's played this game actually explain its appeal
I posted some impressions in the PS Store thread before this official one was created:
Kung Fu Ragdoll is *AMAZING*
Me and my flatmate are laughing hard here. Great, great super smooth graphics as well.
Wollan said:
Kung Fu Ragdoll has the best plastic skin shader ever.
Even beats Unreal Engine 3.

The style and presentation in Kung Fu is impeccable. Also the XMB background is an actual plastic case for (rag)dolls.
Wollan said:
Thrakier said:
Is RDKF like Smash Bros.? I hate Smash Bros.
The arena aspect is the same. You jump between different ledges..etc. Fighting is kinda the same. But you do it by manipulating a ragdoll. You can pick up weapons and you can do special chi-attacks. The game is very physics based. Presentation wise it's infinitely more advanced and stylized. It has the shading techniques of a proper high budget title, it has very good image quality and it's at a super smooth 60fps.
Wollan said:
It doesn't have online.
SP is a series of challenge modes. Local Multiplayer has four different gameplay types (Deathmatch, King of the Hill, Dodgeball and Fish in basket). There's about ten very different levels and you can build your own doll from various parts.

But yeah, Ragdoll is a must have.

Flower, Rag doll Kung Fu & CometCrash are my top three PSN titles so far this year.
Wollan said:
It's a sad omission, agreed. Physics being too complex is a bad excuse (when LBP is possibly more physics heavy and with same amount of players).

But it would be more sad if people missed out on this, it's still really great.

Wollan

It controls like a normal fighter.

[] for punch/throw
/\ for kick
O for shield
X for jump
R1 for grab
R3 for weapons wielding.

It's just that instead of having the character be pre-animated it's like they are dragged via wires to to do these fighting moves so the animation is really fluently handled. The interaction between fighters becomes more accurate due to these physics. Chi specials are activated by sixaxis moves (turn it upside down to meditate to regain health for example. [] + sideswep is chi attack..etc).

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Mike Works said:
yes but how DO you manipulate the ragdoll?

again, from those videos it just looks like a normal (SSB) fighter

You manipulate them normally. Stick to move, buttons to punch, kick or grab. Then, there are some special motion sensor based moves like you shake it to generate a fireball in your hands (you then toss it with square) or you can hold square, point in a direction with the stick and shake the controller to do a firefly move or you flip the controller upside down to go into "zen mode" and regain energy.

I did a video of the tutorial for Blim but he has yet to put the shit up.

Edit: Looks like Blim is uploading vids as we speak. Be patient and everything will be revealed.

00011000 said:
I just had my very first proper online session with LBP today and it's not laggy at all...

Please Dragnet, using physics as an excuse for no online MP is silly when the majority of games use realtime physics these days.

oh it's laggy when ou play with three or four people. but nothing too bad. it would be bad in a fighting game though.

great game though. even without online.. bring friends..

Top Bottom