• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rag Doll Kung Fu: Fists of Plastic thread of fun local multiplayer

jmd494

StalkingSilence said:
PM me if you want more info - harvesting XML scripts no longer works easily - notice how all autoscripted trophy portals haven't updated to include PJE Encore or Rag Doll Kung Fu?
Awesome? I guess it's good but I don't get/enjoy "secret" trophies. I only enjoy trophies because they prolong a game experience by providing fun side-challenges.

In fact, I wish details on trophies were more transparent. One of the coolest things Sony could do to set trophies apart from achievements would be to have each trophy in the in-XMB trophy list be a clickable hyperlink that, once clicked, would launch a browser window with the following:

1. User created trophy tips for the trophy you clicked that could be created by anyone with a PSN account. Here, users could post trophy tips using text, screenshots, or Youtube videos (in games that support screenshots and/or Youtube uploading) or could just post general posts about a particular trophy.

2. Stats for the trophy clicked, such as what percentage of PSN users (and your PSN friends) who own the selected game have unlocked the selected trophy, how many hours it took for the average PSN user (and the average of your PSN friends) to unlock the trophy, who were the first 100 PSN users (and the first 5 of your PSN friends) to unlock the selected trophy, etc...

3. Your progress towards unlocking the selected trophy (if applicable). Currently, many trophies are tied to doing something repetitive (e.g. kill X number of people) or reaching certain checkpoints under certain conditions games (e.g. beat the game on hard). Sometimes, it's hard to keep track of how close your are to getting the trophy (e.g. "I need to kill 500 guys with grenades...how many have I killed so far?").

4. Two polls to rate the selected trophy (one for the difficulty of getting the trophy and one for the level of awesome associated with the trophy). Some trophies are easy and boring (e.g. do a barrel roll in WipEout HD), some are easy but awesome (e.g. travel to an incredible height in LBP), some are fucking hard and boring (e.g. Journey to the city unscathed in Flower), and some are hard but extremely rewarding (e.g. find all 61 treasures in Uncharted). Having a community rating system for trophies would let devs know when they've "got it right" and when they've missed the boat.

Haunted

Got this gifted on Friday and played a couple of two player games, it's not too bad.

Some of the challenges are pretty tough. I like the motion controls, although the coordination for the Firefly attack is kinda hard to pull off consistently for me (I'm used to the motion recognising which way I move the controller >_<).

Got some funny moments, and for the price it's an ok value with the singleplayer levels (I think there are about 10 or something?) and 4 multiplayer modes.

Justin Dailey said:
3. Your progress towards unlocking the selected trophy (if applicable). Currently, many trophies are tied to doing something repetitive (e.g. kill X number of people) or reaching certain checkpoints under certain conditions games (e.g. beat the game on hard). Sometimes, it's hard to keep track of how close your are to getting the trophy (e.g. "I need to kill 500 guys with grenades...how many have I killed so far?").
That sounds like a very good idea. I hate checking stats pages (if there even are any) for those.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Someone should change the name and take out the no online part. It doesn't have it but that doesn't make it a bad game. It's almost like saying "don't come in here because this game doesn't have online".

I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

Haunted

Getting the all-gold trophy is gonna be a bitch. Missing that one, Combo Meal and the
Offside
trophy.

LiquidMetal14 said:
Someone should change the name and take out the no online part. It doesn't have it but that doesn't make it a bad game. It's almost like saying "don't come in here because this game doesn't have online".

Rag Doll Kung Fu: Fists of Plastic thread of local MP is better anyway. (PSN)

dk_

Justin Dailey said:
Gears 2 did that.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
LiquidMetal14 said:

The mod changed it from "thread of AWESOME" to "thread of No Online" for reasons unknown to me.

BeeDog

If anyone needs help figuring out the Offside! trophy, I can help out with it, but since it's still pretty secret it won't be fun spelling it out to everyone. :p So if someone really needs help getting it, PM me.

I thought the "no online" part was weak as well, but I saw a video of someone playing and it looked fun as hell.
$10 well spent.

The no online does indeed suck (if LBP could do it, this should be able to as well), but for $10 you get a solid singleplayer portion (the challenges, I was #8 on one of the Leaderboards the other day :D lol), and an extremely fun local multiplayer portion.
It's worth the money.

Who's to say they won't patch in online in the future, anyway?

spwolf

Revolutionary said:
I thought the "no online" part was weak as well, but I saw a video of someone playing and it looked fun as hell.
$10 well spent.

The no online does indeed suck (if LBP could do it, this should be able to as well), but for $10 you get a solid singleplayer portion (the challenges, I was #8 on one of the Leaderboards the other day :D lol), and an extremely fun local multiplayer portion.
It's worth the money.

Who's to say they won't patch in online in the future, anyway?

well the difference is that LBP is $60 game....

Wasnt Tekken $15 game + you had to pay extra for online dlc later on?

BeeDog

Always-honest said:
acrobatics is a fucking hard part for me.. any tips?

Not really, you must practice a lot more. But here are some tips that helped me, at least:

1. Don't overuse the Triangle for rotation. At most press it once, then do the rotation yourself with the left analogue stick.
2. Don't waste too much time building up rotational momentum, one solid circle will make the character fly a fair bit.
3. Learn when to press R1 so you can fall through the platforms to get to the one you want. Or if your fall path is blocked by a platform you aren't supposed to grab, grab it anyway if it will make your life easier since it won't break your combo (only landing on your feet does).
4. Once again, if the next platform is right below you, don't waste time building up momentum. Just press down and X to drop down.

Hope this helps.

BeeDog said:
Not really, you must practice a lot more. But here are some tips that helped me, at least:

1. Don't overuse the Triangle for rotation. At most press it once, then do the rotation yourself with the left analogue stick.
2. Don't waste too much time building up rotational momentum, one solid circle will make the character fly a fair bit.
3. Learn when to press R1 so you can fall through the platforms to get to the one you want. Or if your fall path is blocked by a platform you aren't supposed to grab, grab it anyway if it will make your life easier since it won't break your combo (only landing on your feet does).
4. Once again, if the next platform is right below you, don't waste time building up momentum. Just press down and X to drop down.

Hope this helps.
yep, 3 and 4 are ace. thanx!

AndyD

aka andydumi
spwolf said:
well the difference is that LBP is $60 game....

Wasnt Tekken $15 game + you had to pay extra for online dlc later on?

It was an additional 15 I think. For a total of 30 for a fully online enabled game.

Dwayne

Bitching about no online, seriously? Please try to comprehend how much extra budget is required to develop online code and test the sucka. For a budget downloadable title, adding online is a big risk for the developer.

Haunted

Combo meal is kicking my ass. What's the best order in which to do the three moves? I can only get two in no matter how quick I am.

I've read Slam (to get the opponent in the air), then Firefly to keep him up and finish it with a Lightning Ball, but I can't even get some decent air out of the slam. :/

BeeDog

Haunted said:
Combo meal is kicking my ass. What's the best order in which to do the three moves? I can only get two in no matter how quick I am.

I've read Slam (to get the opponent in the air), then Firefly to keep him up and finish it with a Lightning Ball, but I can't even get some decent air out of the slam. :/

That's the way you must do it I'm afraid. Took me like 40 times before I nailed it.

Jim

I have to say, I was skeptical (mostly the non-online thing also), but the game has sucked me in. It's really good for $10, especially in this day of games launching at $15.

Haunted said:

BeeDog said:
That's the way you must do it I'm afraid. Took me like 40 times before I nailed it.

Uhhh... I had good luck with: toss the guy in the air, then lighting ball, firefly, and ground slam when he is on the way down and at about head level.

I haven't even read any strategies about the game before today, and it worked pretty easily for me.

Haunted

ahaha ridiculous, I just got it.

Slammed the opponent standing slightly below him (which gave me a bit more air), then did a Lightning Ball and was too slow to finish it, as always - but this time he actually landed right on top of me instead of the ground which kept the combo going. An immediate Firefly and that was that.

Thanks for the tips anyway, guys. :)

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Jim said:
I have to say, I was skeptical (mostly the non-online thing also), but the game has sucked me in. It's really good for $10, especially in this day of games launching at $15.

Uhhh... I had good luck with: toss the guy in the air, then lighting ball, firefly, and ground slam when he is on the way down and at about head level.

I haven't even read any strategies about the game before today, and it worked pretty easily for me.
Jim, could you just get rid of the No Online thingy and just have it as the Rag Doll Kung Fu: Fists of Plastic Thread? If not that's ok; I'm not sure how the rules work for that. :p

edit: you are awesome, thanks! :D

Dreweyes

Justin Dailey said:
I'm considering buying this game but will probably only play it once or twice with friends (very few gaming friends).

How many hours will I get just getting golds on all the challenges and...more importantly...would getting golds on all the challenges be fun?

You'll get more than $10 worth out of it! It's a really solid and fun platform fighter, and the challenges live up to the name! I've been playing it alot and only have half of the gold, not even going to think about getting the plastic(platinum) fists for each of them some are so tough. :lol

I got my girlfriend to try it and she loves it! She can button mash all she wants and do pretty good! She feels like she's playing Little Big Planet, and I feel like I'm playing Smash Bros, so it's a perfect fighting game to that extent!

Plus Media Molecule has been on the ball for neat dlc including free stuff, so I'm sure its got some new and exciting things coming to it also.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Hooray for Jim making the title right!

I love the way you can sway your arms like LBP and the characters act and make karate sounds and all that :lol :lol

I practice tai-chi this way.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Yeah. MM needs to patch it in LittleBigPlanet with different, selectable voices depending on emotion.

AndyD

aka andydumi
LiquidMetal14 said:
Hooray for Jim making the title right!

I love the way you can sway your arms like LBP and the characters act and make karate sounds and all that :lol :lol

I practice tai-chi this way.

I love that too. This game is a gem. And so many parts to customize, I was afraid it would be pretty limited.

Shurs

I had no interest in the game but bought into the release day hype. I have to say I'm a little disappointed thus far. In fairness to the game, I've only played for a little while, and it is very polished. I just don't think that this is my type of game. I will look into to playing more, when I have some free time, and have friends over.

icechai

err this isn't by media molecule is it? Its by some company named Tarsier so we'll see how they are with patches and updates :p Anyone do well on the last challenge? I can only get silver on it x_x

icechai said:
err this isn't by media molecule is it? Its by some company named Tarsier so we'll see how they are with patches and updates :p Anyone do well on the last challenge? I can only get silver on it x_x

Gold's are insane :O Can't get almost any x|

gcubed

started playing this last night and its a ton of fun, its an awesome party game, i would even pay another 5 bucks for an online mode if they could do it.

icechai

ChackanKun said:
Gold's are insane :O Can't get almost any x|

so far survival mode has been easiest for me, plastic'd it pretty quickly. Acrobatics is almost plastic, will get to it soon. The others seem quite impossible to get plastic :p

WinFonda

Looks like Ragdoll Kung Fu will be available for free starting this Thursday's (store update?) until next Thursday

11kgxi1.jpg

Those banners are on Gametrailers, clicking them takes you to the Ragdoll Kung Fu PlayStation page.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
WinFonda said:
Looks like Ragdoll Kung Fu will be available for free starting this Thursday's (store update?) until next Thursday

11kgxi1.jpg

Those banners are on Gametrailers, clicking them takes you to the Ragdoll Kung Fu PlayStation page.
Whaaaaaaaaa

dallow_bg

nods at old men
WinFonda said:

11kgxi1.jpg

:O

WinFonda said:

11kgxi1.jpg

Site is blocked at work :( What are the details?

Top Bottom