• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rakuten Securities analyst expects PS5 to release between April 2021 and March 2022

Shin

Banned
The release window of the Sony’s next-generation console, which many refer to as the PS5 or PlayStation 5, even if it doesn’t have an official name just yet, is subject of much discussion among gamers, and the investment analyst community is also looking at it with great interest.

Even among Japanese analysts, there isn’t a consensus. While a few weeks ago we heard that Ace Research Institute Analyst Hideki Yasuda pins the release of the console at the end of 2020, Tokyo-based Rakuten Securities Economic Research Institute.
Specifically, analyst Yasuo Imanaka recently released his analysis of Sony’s latest financial results, and he believes that the console will likely come later compared to his colleague’s prediction.

While he thinks that there is a possibility that the PS5 might be released in the fiscal year between April 2020 and March 2021, he feels that it’s not very likely. On the other hand, Imanaka-san believes that there is a higher chance for it to launch in the fiscal year beginning in April 2021 and ending in March 2022.
He also mentions that there is no chance for the PS5 to be released before March 2020.

Credit: Twinfinite
Source: Rakuten Securities via Hachima

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
This is not HellPoint Dev so i would treat this news with some salt.

Its made even worse by the fact that its also not coming from ScreenRant Dev so that makes this questionable.

I'd say its fake.

Shin

Banned
Does this person have a history of predicting such things correctly?

My initial guess was 2021 but it’s felt like signs point toward 2020 recently
I haven't researched all that, it's for the author to do - I just post news that aren't from clickbait sites.
Twinfinite / this article is by former DualShockers editor/writer which covers Japanese news a lot and/or translate shit for us plebs so it's newsworthy IMO, especially because Rakuten is no small company.
Every analysts have their own forecast/opinion/outlook but that's not strange as there's a lot of money ridding on their prediction - stock buy/sell/investment that's why they cannot be careless (the good ones).

That's how I see it at least...

Shin

Banned
I still don’t feel it will be 2019. 2020 the earliest.
Pretty confident it won't be 2019 because by this time the dev-kit would most likely have passed FCC in order to be imported into the US.
Which isn't the case as I've looked it up and under Sony Japan or even America for that matter (though SDK/mainline consoles are tagged to Japan "AK48" doesn't exists ATM.

This is not Dev
Worry not my brethren they'll have us covered tomorrow by insert dev here and run 5 articles around it.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
The first system to launch next is the one that loses, in my opinion. It'll be sandwiched between the Switch and a longer-than-expected tail to the PS4/X1 and whatever the other competitor decides to do.

Kagero

Games still look mind blowing to me on base PS4 lol. Yeah I'm good. If all they do is up rez everything and make it 60 fps like ya'll want then I could give a shit. This gen can go another 5 years for all I care.

Dargor

I doubt it, sony isn't going on a media silence in 2019 to release a console in 2021, it'll drop 2020 at the latest imho.

nikolino840

I doubt it, sony isn't going on a media silence in 2019 to release a console in 2021, it'll drop 2020 at the latest imho.
Maybe Sony are making his personal show this year for reveal the new console,like ms have do at last e3 with an entire Building instead of a piece of it like the others

Dargor

Maybe Sony are making his personal show this year for reveal the new console,like ms have do at last e3 with an entire Building instead of a piece of it like the others

I think they'll show it at PSX and launch it first quarter 2020, so they can give one last xmas alone on the market for the ps4 and cash out on it, probably with a Last of Us 2 bundle.

HeresJohnny

Way, way too long. My gut is that Microsoft will launch sometime late this year and that would allow them 2 full cycles at least before they hit, which is simply too long. Even if Microsoft underwhelms and makes a dumbass move (likely with price) it gives them long enough to correct and recover from it and establish a foothold as the leader for the new generation. Microsoft would have an established library and could simply issue a mid-generation refresh to counter with whatever Sony launched with. Sony would be simply stupid to allow this to happen, and I'll be shocked if they do. $399, Fall '19 or Spring '20 at the very latest.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
Not 2019, not 2021 and absolutely not 2022.

Anyone suggesting any year other than 2020 must have the biological equivalent of a black hole for a brain.

vkbest

Sony is not announcing new games for 2 years + no firmware new features for 2 years + no presence on 2019 E3 + no 2018 PS Experience. I really doubt the console is not coming next year. If really PS5 will not come to 2021, Sony is doing pretty bad with last ps4 years.

Anyway for me would be great news. Its now when developers begin to take advantage to Pro and X hardware, and I would prefer wait 1 year more for more powerful PS5.

Last edited:

Kdad

Pretty confident it won't be 2019 because by this time the dev-kit would most likely have passed FCC in order to be imported into the US.
Which isn't the case as I've looked it up and under Sony Japan or even America for that matter (though SDK/mainline consoles are tagged to Japan "AK48" doesn't exists ATM.

Worry not my brethren they'll have us covered tomorrow by insert dev here and run 5 articles around it.

Dont forget to check under Sand Dollar

Analysts have suggested that the PS5 will be out by the end of next year, which seems like a common assumption among many.

However, as per industry analyst Yasuo Imanaka of Rakuten Securities, it’ll still be a while yet before Sony launches its next console. According to Imanaka in his recently written report (via Twinfinite), its unlikely that the PS5 will be launching before March 2020, but in all likeliness, Sony will be holding the console’s release back even longer than that. He predicts that the PS5 will launch in the financial year 2021-22 (between April 2021 and March 2022, which would imply a late 2021 release).
Not too long ago, IDC analyst Lewis Ward also told us something similar, saying that according to his projections, the PS5 and the next Xbox would both be launching in 2021 at the earliest. Then again, fellow analyst Michael Pachter seems to believe it is unlikely that that will happen.

Now I know there's some mixed news coming from various agencies about when the next gen consoles will release, but I've noticed the most credible among them seem to be leaning more toward 2021 than 2020.

I feel like this make sense, at least for the PS4. The PS4 is selling well still at a high price and the PS4Pro has been selling decent without to much of a price drop either. I can see them going another year announcing in 2020 and releasing in 2020 one.

This makes sense because Xbox's current strategy would put them at a years head start due to slowing Xbox One sales, and having an entry level streaming option along with a premium high-end option would work really well with a year head start to get everything up to speed. If Xbox tried the dual strategy at the same time they'll have to rush to be competitive and we may have a kinect issue where only in a few companies would be fully optimized for the streaming box, and features won't be finished for all countries for the premium box either.

This may also be why MS is likely to announce these consoles at E3, with these two Xbox consoles being 2020, and the PS5 being 2021 which by that time the PS4 would be $199 or less and the PS4 Pro should be $299.

VertigoOA

Banned
PS4 is doing great without a major price drop. Once that happens they can milk it further. I prefer the longer generations too and don’t see the need to upgrade past pro and x just yet. Cool with it... even if I’m done making anymore purchases till death stranding.

Last edited:
These aren't the same article, the link for this one even references that one.
The thread quoted hear has a completely different statement and has the person saying it will come out in 2020. This is a new prediction of FY 2021-2022.

That thread is about the guy predicting 21-22....it’s the same guy.....

Am I missing something

That thread is about the guy predicting 21-22....it’s the same guy.....

Am I missing something

Nope:
The other article focused on t Hideki Yasuda, with only a nod to Imanaka. This article focuses on more details of Imanaka's research.

It also brings up comparisions to Lewis Ward's analyst.

Mexen

2022 seems inspired by the Pro. You get the sense that mid Gen releases potentially extend the lifecycle. Otherwise we would have had a reveal this year.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
The thread so nice we named it twice!
634627.jpg

I am calling for a thread merge and let staff weed this one out. Same shit, similar kinds of prediction... its too similar.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
These late launch dates are baffling to me, Sony would not be quiet in late 2018/2019 if they were planning to release in 21/22. It simply doesn't fit in any way, shape or form especially as there seems no technological advantage to launching a year behind Xbox when both systems are going to from the same tech partner.

These analysts are so wrong. 0 chance its releasing in 2021.
These late launch dates are baffling to me, Sony would not be quiet in late 2018/2019 if they were planning to release in 21/22. It simply doesn't fit in any way, shape or form especially as there seems no technological advantage to launching a year behind Xbox when both systems are going to from the same tech partner.

So you’re saying 2020 is certain?

Top Bottom