• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Randy Pitchford: I agree with [EGM] that Aliens: Colonial Marines was a 9/10

I wonder if he's just sticking up for his team, you know? Randy looking stupid and defending this game takes the heat off the devs. Instead of being a Gearbox thing, it's a "Randy Pitchford is a moron" thing.

edit: he even says as much in the interview. "I'm not gonna throw them [the Aliens team] under the bus."

Punished Pitchford - A Fallen Asshole

2f0.gif

erragal

Never change Randy. Most harmless (and lucrative) troll ever and people still get angry.

Also that EGM review basically paid for Borderlands if you think about it.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
randy pitchford is the only guy in videogames who i dislike so much that i wont buy any of their games going forward

something about him just rubs me the wrong way

Hoarr

Neo Member
Played through it a couple of years back - a patch Gearbox put out to help fix the game made the garbage dump boss IMPOSSIBLE to defeat.

I had to delete the update before I got past him on my first try, I'd been stuck there for days.

4/10

BY2K

Membero Americo
randy pitchford is the only guy in videogames who i dislike so much that i wont buy any of their games going forward

Maybe it's the fact that he's a liar and can't accept the fact that anything Gearbox makes that isn't Borderlands is crap?

Jawmuncher

It's not. I actually enjoyed Aliens Colonial Marines. But it was a 6 out of 10 affair. You rent or buy it cheap, have some fun and never play it again.

slowpantz

Neo Member
At this point he's making progress, I would've expected him to say 9/10 was too low

Amazing post!

I'm honestly syprised Randy is willing to keep bringing this topic back up, it can only hurt Battleborn and future Gearbox work to constantly open up old wounds.

RexNovis

Banned
This guy is such a massive sleazeball. He has got to be the slimiest talking head in all of games development. Fuck him and the horse he perennially rides in on.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death

I loved Borderlands 1&2, but will never buy one of their games ever again. Had to skip The Pre-Sequel and Tales from the Borderlands (I'm sure they get a cut). First time I have ever boycotted anything.

How did they accidentally make Borderlands good? That's where I'm at now.

It wasn't accidental, Gearbox actually worked on Borderlands. Based on various stories about CM, Gearbox just kind of pushed it off on several other devs, primarily Timegate, and hoped for the best. Then at the end Timegate had to rush out the unfinished mess we got because Gearbox totally mismanaged the game.

It really makes you wonder what would have happened if Gearbox just developed it themselves with some help from other devs instead of vice-versa.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
It wasn't accidental, Gearbox actually worked on Borderlands. Based on various stories about CM, Gearbox just kind of pushed it off on several other devs, primarily Timegate, and hoped for the best. Then at the end Timegate had to rush out the unfinished mess we got because Gearbox totally mismanaged the game.

It really makes you wonder what would have happened if Gearbox just developed it themselves with some help from other devs instead of vice-versa.

At first I assumed Sega had to be responsible somehow as well, but I changed my mind after Alien Isolation.

ElRenoRaven

Randy just needs to fucking drop it now. He is never going to convince anyone that he isn't a liar and that the game was some magical amazing game. It wasn't and it never will be. This coming from someone who bought it for 5 bucks in a steam sale and had a bit of fun with it.

Foffy

Banned
If Randy gets a public epitaph, will it include the words "Aliens: Colonial Marines really WAS
a good game
" on it?

Tovarisc

Didn't those CM rumors(?) also include speculation about GBox using that time and even some of SEGA money to make Borderlands 2?

Didn't those CM rumors(?) also include speculation about GBox using that time and even some of SEGA money to make Borderlands 2?

I remember hearing about that, but I don't know if they were ever confirmed. If true, those are some pretty shady business practices, which is a shame, because it's clear that Gearbox can put out some quality content. Borderlands 1 and 2 are wonderful games and Battleborn was really solid based on what I played of the alpha.

Markitron

Actually I believe it was Borderlands 1 as well, they announced that they were making CM 3 years before the first Borderlands released.

chaos789

Banned
This fucking guy never knows when to shut up. He is a P.R guy regurtating his own bullshit over and over again. Aliens: Colonial Marines was shit get over yourself Randy and show some fucking humility.

Zurick

Banned
Fuck this guy.He might have destroyed my fucking childhood with this piece of this. This shit was worse than Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection combined.

The difference is the target render trailer and gameplay that was shown up until launch you lying shit. If he would just admit what they did with that game I wouldnt care, but because he just refuses to, I distrust randy pitchford and will never buy another gearbox game

CHC

What a needy man. No one is talking about this game anymore other than him, controversy or not, its moment has passed.

gelf

I'm not one to care for review scores at all and tend to think comparing numbers of different games and reviewers is stupid and pointless, but I'm happy to make an exception in this case. It's got to be embarrassing for EGM that they have Colonial Marines sitting on a higher score then what they gave Isolation.

Was I the only one who loved the multiplayer?

Yeah, the single player story was utter garbage, but I put so many hours into the multiplayer. Felt really dynamic.

Bane

I... I just don't get it. Why the fuck does he keep bringing it up? Does he think people will suddenly realize their errors and do a 180 on the game?

After loving the shit out of Borderlands, I was a bit let down by 2 but the way dude's handled himself has made me decide to just avoid Gearbox from now on.

The only good thing to come out of that game was this gif:
Alientrex.gif

Borderlands is their best product and it has problems, by the end of 2 I was dead sick of the repetitive combat which consited of fighting bullet sponges that came out of monster closets. Walking backwards shooting at your feet isn't fun (most creature encounters).

Seems like a good time to re-visit the Jimquisition about this game.

Seriously Randy, you're saltier about this than most of the folks who purchased and were outright bamboozled by this title.

Herbs

Banned
The only good thing to come out of that game was this gif:
Alientrex.gif

Borderlands is their best product and it has problems, by the end of 2 I was dead sick of the repetitive combat which consited of fighting bullet sponges that came out of monster closets. Walking backwards shooting at your feet isn't fun (most creature encounters).

this being the 143rd post is a travesty.

Nazo

Randy would be much better off if he'd just pretend like the game never existed and stopped trying to put it up on a pedestal it doesn't deserve.

Randy you jerk , karma will get back to you for what you did with duke nukem and aliens :X

i cant believe egm got away with giving the game 9/10

Top Bottom