• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rango (dir. Verbinski, Johnny Depp) - ILM's first feature-length animated film

Status
Not open for further replies.

LosDaddie

Banned
XiaNaphryz said:
It's a bit slow at parts, lots of dialogue scenes with jokes that will fly way over her head. A few genuinely scary parts as well for that age. Would be best if you watched it first and then determine if it's fine for her or not. I'm sure certain parts will be.

Alright, thanks. She's just getting into movies. Not many, mind you, but stuff like Tangled and Wall-E she enjoyed.

Dead

well not really...yet
Whoa, what the fuck

I just got the Blu-Ray, and the 9 or so minutes of deleted scenes seem like they are 100% finished @_@

Combine that with ~5 extra minutes added to the extended version (im assuming there is no overlap), then god damn. Pretty crazy for a movie with CG this good

alterno69

Banned
Bought the BD yesterday, saw it today and WOW amazing movie, i feel bad for not supporting this in theaters but at least i supported the BD release, the movie rocks, the story is ok but Rango alone is such an awesome character, so funny. The graphics are out of this world and add a lot to the movie for sure.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Dead said:
Whoa, what the fuck

I just got the Blu-Ray, and the 9 or so minutes of deleted scenes seem like they are 100% finished @_@

Combine that with ~5 extra minutes added to the extended version (im assuming there is no overlap), then god damn. Pretty crazy for a movie with CG this good
The behind-the-scenes doc is pretty decent as well. You can see the sorts of discussion that went on for every little detail. About 48 min long or so.

Dead

well not really...yet
XiaNaphryz said:
The behind-the-scenes doc is pretty decent as well.
Just finished rewatching the theatrical version. Easily the best animated film in years! So much personality in every pore of the film.

The tour of dirt feature on the blu-ray is also really cool!

XiaNaphryz

Dead said:
Just finished rewatching the theatrical version. Easily the best animated film in years! So much personality in every pore of the film.

The tour of dirt feature on the blu-ray is also really cool!
It's too bad they didn't include a live-action story reel option to be played picture-in-picture like the storyboard reel option.

Hylian7

Just rented this and watched it, it was very good. Had to watch it on DVD though because my girlfriend doesn't have a Blu-Ray player at her house though, only an Xbox 360. I may watch the Blu-Ray on my PS3 sometime though.

For anyone who wants to let his/her kids see this. Do it. The movies I learned to appreciate the most at a later age are the ones that were not specifically targeted towards my age group. Watching those movies later on, only made me discover the awesome stuff I didn't understand before.

XiaNaphryz

PjotrStroganov said:
For anyone who wants to let his/her kids see this. Do it. The movies I learned to appreciate the most at a later age are the ones that were not specifically targeted towards my age group. Watching those movies later on, only made me discover the awesome stuff I didn't understand before.
I still think a parent should watch it first and decide if they should let their kids watch it or not if they're 5 or younger - they would know best if their kid would be able to handle the scarier parts well or not. 6 or older should be fine with it, though some may get bored during some parts.

XiaNaphryz

So does anyone know why this ended up releasing on a Friday? I can't recall a movie home release done this way before.

XiaNaphryz said:
So does anyone know why this ended up releasing on a Friday? I can't recall a movie home release done this way before.

It's becoming more and more common for family films. Harry Potter did it, Arthur recently did it, and a few others.

There is a Rango Code: RANGO5GO

that will save you $5 off the either the dvd or the combo pack. $14.99 on amazon with the code for the combo pack.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yeah, this was a pretty damn good film. The first and third thirds of the plot were utterly cliche, but the animation was downright stunning. I really should get this on DVD

MMaRsu

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Yeah, this was a pretty damn good film. The first and third thirds of the plot were utterly cliche, but the animation was downright stunning. I really should get this on DVD

Dvd?

*snickers*

I rented this movie last night.

The visuals were stunning, and the movie itself was excellent.

Pixar isn't getting that Oscar this year.

Gomu Gomu

Just finished watching the movie. Loved it.
So does everyone agree that this movie has the highest quality CGI in any animated movie ever? I mean holy shit some of those scenes.... Amazing stuff.

Gomu Gomu said:
Just finished watching the movie. Good stuff.
So does everyone agree that this movie has the highest quality CGI in any animated movie ever? I mean holy shit some of those scenes.... Amazing stuff.

Yes, really well done.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Overall, fucking loved this movie. Really enjoyed the protagonist's personal development and social commentary as an allegory for the divide between first-world and third-world. very important message.

the characters were fucking great too. rattlesnake jack was my favourite. what a total badass.
i found his switch a bit contrived after the turtle turned the gun on him, but for a kid's movie i don't see any other elegant way around that sudden change of heart. had to be a happy ending without too much bloodshed.

also, when you first see the love interest the change to more anthropomorphic behaviour and appearance for the characters was a bit jarring at first. before that point none of the animals had human eyes, hair, or were fully clothed. they were still more animal than they were human. then suddenly the new female character is introduced and the human factor is ramped up. it felt really weird at first, but once i realised where they were taking the movie I accepted it.

really great movie. johnny depp is an AMAZING actor. the switches in personality, emotion and the journey depp took rango through was truly a testament to his ability as an actor. stellar performance imo.

XiaNaphryz

Hopefully the first of many awards, Rango's picked up the 2011 Hollywood Animation Award:

http://hollywoodfest.com/2011/09/ho...nor-rango-with-the-hollywood-animation-award/

The 15th Annual Hollywood Film Festival and Hollywood Film Awards, presented by Starz Entertainment, have announced that “Rango” will receive this year’s Hollywood Animation Award at the festival’s gala ceremony on October 24, 2011, at the Beverly Hilton Hotel.

The Paramount Pictures/Nickelodeon Movies feature film is directed by Gore Verbinski and stars Johnny Depp, Isla Fisher, Abigail Breslin, Alfred Molina, Bill Nighy, Harry Dean Stanton, Ray Winstone and Timothy Olyphant as the Spirit of the West. The screenplay was written by Oscar®-nominated screenwriter John Logan with the story by John Logan, Gore Verbinski and James Ward Byrkit. Produced by Verbinski’s Blind Wink Productions, Graham King and John Carls, “Rango” also marks the first animated feature film for award-winning special effects house Industrial Light & Magic (ILM).

The announcement was made today by Carlos de Abreu, Founder and Executive Director of the Hollywood Film Festival. “It is a great pleasure to recognize “Rango” as the recipient of our animation award. This piece of cinematic treasure borders on surrealism and “Rango” will be a classic for generations to come.”

Past recipients of the Hollywood Animation Award include “Cars,” “Ratatouille,” “Toy Story 3,” “UP,” and “Wall-E.”

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Just saw the movie today...very well done. Nickelodeon churns out some pretty underrated, but decent cartoon flicks still...I remember watching Barnyard when it first came out, and recently about two years ago, and finding that movie pretty good too.

Anyway, I think my favorite character was the goofy horned lizard...just one of those characters that isn't plot vital, but cute in an absurd way and really catches your eye. I also liked Rattlesnake Jake, and rather enjoyed
How he ended up being not too bad at the end, but rather an honorable gunslinger

I got major Pixar vibes from this movie though, what with
the Mayor being voiced by Ned Beaty, and I just watched Toy Story 3 last night, the whole fear of the hawk like in Bugs Life, and the Mayor reminded me a lot of the evil spider dude in Monsters Inc

XiaNaphryz

Man, everyone in the office is going to be so psyched tomorrow.

Thanks for the opportunity Gore!

vXGv4.jpg

XiaNaphryz

you worked on it? congrats. great film.

I'm using the titular "we" here...I had very little to do with it outside some tools support management. That said, ILM's had a bit of an Oscar drought so the whole company's been anticipating this for months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom