• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rango (dir. Verbinski, Johnny Depp) - ILM's first feature-length animated film

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

UltimaPooh said:
What exactly was wrong with it for those who didn't enjoy it?

and what would be a better animated movie?

It was a kids movie for kids. Which is never really a problem, but I personally felt a bit misled since all of the positive reviews/impressions emphasized how adults would enjoy it and probably get even more out of it than kids (which definitely wasn't the case for me :lol).

johnny depp needs to voice more quirky cartoon characters.

And seconded on HTTYD being a worse film than this. But I was one of the few who really didn't understand the hype behind that film.

Messi

Discotheque said:
johnny depp needs to voice more quirky cartoon characters.

And seconded on HTTYD being a worse film than this. But I was one of the few who really didn't understand the hype behind that film.

Toothless-Night-Fury.jpg

Loved both films.

jax (old)

Banned
didn't love this but the animation is going to look AMAZING on hometheatre. The movie itself was ehish. I expected to hate it though (hated the trailer) but didn't so in the end, not a total failure.

The character designs are a little/lot eh.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Akainu said:
I've been meaning to see this. Would it be weird for a 23 year old to see this by himself?

I'm 25 and saw it by myself and then had dinner by myself, so yeah.

I saw this film last week with a friend. The trailers I saw leading up to it's release never got me interested in it, but I must say the film itself was enjoyable. The western style made it feel fresh and unique from other animated films. The animation was outstanding and even though the story was quite slow the action sequences made up for it. The variety in the characters and the characters themselves are what made this film for me though.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Ookami-kun said:
Can't have an animation thread without Dreamworks bashing eh? XD
It's why I tend to avoid "this vs that" threads on the OT because it's just as childish and similar to console wars. Unfortunately it seems to be brought up no matter what the thread subject matter is tailored toward.

raphier

Banned
BakedPigeon said:
Movie was funny and fun, dont understand how you couldn't like it. Will buy when it comes out on dvd.
Easily. There was too much talking and individualism. People want to see constant action like the bat scene for entire movie, less smart and explosions.

Platy

This movie must have some sound problems ... people thinking it is other actors dubbing and now my friend said that the credits music (only audio, no spoiler) is too close to misirlou (the pulp fiction song...) to confort =P

About the movie ...

CmRtO.jpg

Daza3.jpg

Pf6lt.jpg

6ckIP.jpg

a critic that i read said something that i totaly aprove that translates to something like this:

"In the Family Guy world, a movie with so many references where all references feel organic is like a little oasis in the desert"

edit : an animated movie with finalized deleted scenes ?
that is INSANELY rare

RobbieNick

Saw it last week. I thought it was a really good, but not great movie. The character designs were incredible (loved Rattlesnake Jake), but many of the characters themselves weren't very fleshed out. Needed a bit more humor but the action scenes were well done. The canyon run with the bats was definitely the best part of the movie. Overall, I'd give it a 7.5

AniHawk

just got back. loved it. and i liked it a great deal more than i thought i would.

only negative i can think of is that the ending felt a little rushed.

UraMallas

Fantastic film. I fist pumped at the Fear and Loathing reference. I believe he said "there's another one!" or something like that, didn't he? You had me and Fear and Loathing, Rango.

It...wasn't quite what I was expecting, but I enjoyed it and the "semi-real" look was perfect. No dreamworks candy coating on these characters here folks.

Just saw it; amazingly awesome movie. But goddamn, the character designs and art direction were absolutely incredible. I'm a huge fan of westerns though so that could of attributed to my enjoyment.

Zutroy

Why For? said:
I don't know. Possibly.

I was with 3 other people, and I tend to have a more refined taste in movies than the 3 I was with, but all 4 of us didn't enjoy it at all.

I was so restless. Couldn't sit still, nodded off a couple of times. Like I said, last time I did that was Pirates 3 and Quantum of Solace. Only 3 times I've ever been like that at the movies.

But the general vibe of the whole cinema was 'meh'. Barely any laughs throughout, I think I actually laughed probably the most, which is a worry given I didn't really enjoy it.

I think Much of that movie could have been cut, or he could've shortened the scenes that WERE in there. Everything just draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagged on. A lot of unnecessary padding to get it out to an hour and a half, and even then it felt like a 4 hour movie.

Just chalk it up to one of the rare movies I don't actually like. Because I'm a bit of a slut when it comes to movies. I can enjoy almost anything, so I find it disappointing I didn't like Rango at all.
Basically what I was going to write in response to the movie, even down to the three friends part!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
So with the latest international numbers in, Rango box office total is at $229.7 million, with about a 51/49 split domestic and intl.

Dead

well not really...yet
I knew it!

Rango getting an extended cut on the Blu-Ray!

http://www.highdefdiscnews.com/?p=61212

• Theatrical and Extended Version
  • Commentary—By director, story co-writer and producer Gore Verbinski, head of story James Ward Byrkit, production designer Mark “Crash” McCreery, animation director Hal Hickel and visual effects supervisor
    Tim Alexander (on Extended Version only)
  • Breaking The Rules: Making Animation History— Discover how Gore Verbinski and Industrial Light & Magic (ILM) prepared for their first animated movie by following every step the filmmakers made to create this new kind of animated film.
    1. The Stage Is Set (Part 1)
    2. Now We Ride (Part 2)
  • Real Creatures of Dirt—In this fun and educational piece, animal experts talk about the real creatures that inspired the characters of Rango and the filmmakers explain why they chose specific animals to reflect certain personality traits.
  • Storyboard Reel Picture-In-Picture—Enhance your movie-viewing experience by watching the entire feature with picture-in-picture images of the storyboards (Theatrical Version only).
  • A Field Trip to Dirt—Using the technology and footage from ILM’s special camera, viewers are put in control of their own tour of Dirt. They can select the streets they want to explore and the characters they’d like to interact with, discovering trivia and other bonus footage along the way.
  • Deleted Scenes—Including a never-before-seen alternate ending
  • Theatrical Trailer

Looks like an awesome set of special features as well!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Extended cut means that it will include finished scenes that isn't in the film eh (as opposed to the "bonus scenes")?

July 15th is a bit far tho :(

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, I love it when they go all out with the special features. Pirates 2 has some of the most interesting behind the scenes material I've seen yet, hopefully this is similar.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
this was great. So fucking good. I place it right next to Toy Story 3 in terms of great animated films in the past 10 years.

way more

The art style really made Pixar's stuff look like Hanna-Barbara. A shame the story was not as good as what Pixar puts out.

dankir

Just watched this morning on my flight from Frankfurt to Montreal.

What an awesome film, definitely going to pick it up on Blu-ray.

Animation looked great on a small shitty 6 inch backrest screen, can't wait to see it on my system.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Ended up watching this last night. I should have been on the hype train months ago. Fantastic film. And I'm not just talking animated films, this was just plain good. This is a must see for animation aficionados, and doubly so if you are a fan of Westerns.

Usually the humor in these animated films leaves me feeling pretty indifferent, but for whatever reason I found Rango very funny.

This is the first animated film in a long time where I actually want to watch the behind the scenes of. To see the actors acting along with it would be awesome stuff. Can't wait to pick up the BluRay. Visuals were amazing (better than Pixar for me)

XiaNaphryz

LosDaddie said:
You think a 3yr old would enjoy this? My little lady did enjoy Tangled.
It's a bit slow at parts, lots of dialogue scenes with jokes that will fly way over her head. A few genuinely scary parts as well for that age. Would be best if you watched it first and then determine if it's fine for her or not. I'm sure certain parts will be.

Battersea Power Station said:
Listened to Leonard Lopate interview Verbinski yesterday. Dude seems like the real deal. I bet his next live action movie will be something special, up there with Aronofsky stuff.
So this is what I said based on an interview. I saw Rango a month ago or so and it was pretty "meh." It lacked any real direction or vision, trying for a few different things counter-productively. A big part of my disappointment was the way a lot of Johnny Depp's recent performances seem manufactured, which is I guess a result of him being pretty settled and comfortable in his acting style. Another complaint is that a lot of times the movie focused on animation for animation's sake, making the medium more important than the plot and action. I rarely forgot that I was watching an animated film because they kept reminding me.

Hopefully these are all just aspects of Verbinski finding his footing, as well as not being used to animation. I still expect more from him in the future, and I think the "strangeness" of Rango will at least work to bring him more recognition and interesting projects.
LosDaddie said:
You think a 3yr old would enjoy this? My little lady did enjoy Tangled.
I'm not being negative when I say I don't think it will be appropriate. Unless she is fascinated just by the look of the characters and can enjoy looking at lizards and stuff for 2 hours, there's very little to hook her in.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
It's not a movie i would recommend for 3 years old girls, it can be scary sometimes for kids this young.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Saw this a few days ago, thought it was great. Surprised the thread on here is so short compared with other films.

3N16MA

Banned
Can't wait to see this on Blu-Ray. Looks like it hits a new high in terms of visual fidelity for computer animated films on Blu-Ray.

DonMigs85

I'd say it's better suited for kids aged 8-10 or older. Lots of humor little tots simply won't get in a grim, gritty Western town.

I had the chance to watch this on an airplane about a month ago, but I figured why should I watch it on a small shitty screen?

This will be one of the few Blu-Ray's I'll purchase this year. The extras look too juicy to not watch. I <3 bonus features.

XiaNaphryz

DonMigs85 said:
I'd say it's better suited for kids aged 8-10 or older. Lots of humor little tots simply won't get in a grim, gritty Western town.
Agreed. My son was 4 when he saw it with me - he was restless during several parts of it and obviously didn't get all the jokes and references, but enjoyed the more actiony parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom