• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rango (dir. Verbinski, Johnny Depp) - ILM's first feature-length animated film

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laekon

Just saw this last night. It was better than expected. The animation is done so well that it doesn't really stand out, kind of like Avatar.

Tizoc

Mr. Sam said:
Watch Deadwood. Watch it now.
Oh I will good sir, first thing I'll aim to do this week X3

BTW I gotta have the OST, are any of the movie's tracks available for listening? I especially want to listen to what the owls played in the movie.
EDIT: OH YEAH, I'm trying to find images to use as av for my msn messenger and such, anyone know where to get any please?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Tizoc said:
Oh I will good sir, first thing I'll aim to do this week X3

BTW I gotta have the OST, are any of the movie's tracks available for listening? I especially want to listen to what the owls played in the movie.
EDIT: OH YEAH, I'm trying to find images to use as av for my msn messenger and such, anyone know where to get any please?
Soundtrack:

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=8436714

As for images, there's a gallery on the movie site, but it's all Flash-based I think. You might just need to hunt through published images and crop something out.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I really liked this movie. It was loads of fun. I thought there were a few lines that shouldn't have been in a PG movie.
You just swallowed Plan B.

"Rango" boasts not only the most photoreal visuals this side of "Wall-E" but a refreshingly unique narrative sensibility to boot, starting with its Charlie Kaufman-worthy opening monologue and Greek chorus -- technically, a mariachi band of bright-eyed Mexican owls whose songs fit the score's playful marriage of Hans Zimmer bombast and Los Lobos energy.
Stop, stop, you sold me, jesus, I'm there. Anything compared to Wall-E has me day one, and this sounds excellent.

XiaNaphryz

afternoon delight said:
Stop, stop, you sold me, jesus, I'm there. Anything compared to Wall-E has me day one, and this sounds excellent.
Technically, it's day 12 now. Soon to be 13! ;)

DonMigs85

Saw this in the theater earlier and liked it, although I noticed the sense of scale seems to be all over the place. Like, shouldn't some of the mammal characters be bigger?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
there's something about watching 'almost there but not quite there' movies by Gore Verbinski that I just find really entertaining.

Tizoc

Akainu said:
I've been meaning to see this. Would it be weird for a 23 year old to see this by himself?
Dude I'm 24 as of this Saturday and I watched by myself...well there were a few people in the theatre but still.
So no it wouldn't be weird.

Akainu

Tizoc said:
Dude I'm 24 as of this Saturday and I watched by myself...well there were a few people in the theatre but still.
So no it wouldn't be weird.
Cool.

What are ticket prices like these days. The last movie I saw in a theater was I am Legend.

XiaNaphryz

Akainu said:
Cool.

What are ticket prices like these days. The last movie I saw in a theater was I am Legend.
Just look for a cheap matinee. Digital screen if possible, of course.

This is one of the finest movies I have ever seen. I'd never even heard of the film until tonight when we went to the cinema and someone else picked the movie.

I'm amazed. Its visually incredibly striking, the whole thing is stooped in metaphor. The story and performances, the animations of the characters, its absolutely stellar.

In an era of generic CG shite, I really hope this movie gets noticed, as its a really exceptional piece of work.

Besides, any movie in which a talking rat barman says the following line instantly deserves to win:

I once found a whole human spinal column in my fecal matter.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
that was a fun movie

id describe it as an indie film that transitions into a kids film and then transitions into a classic western.

the animation really made the comedy

Great movie. Kinda samurai, kinda western, kinda Fear and Loathing. I'd recommend it for kids too, there is virtually nothing scary or crude (well, very crude) in it. Three thumbs up.

DonMigs85 said:
Saw this in the theater earlier and liked it, although I noticed the sense of scale seems to be all over the place. Like, shouldn't some of the mammal characters be bigger?
yeah like when rango entered the bar and there was a cat sitting in the chair next to him the same size as a lizard? and then you see the spider undertaker which is the size of the cat holy shit.

DonMigs85

out0v0rder said:
yeah like when rango entered the bar and there was a cat sitting in the chair next to him the same size as a lizard? and then you see the spider undertaker which is the size of the cat holy shit.
Yes, exactly. And Rattlesnake Jake should not be bigger than the cat either.

XiaNaphryz

Mama Robotnik said:
This is one of the finest movies I have ever seen. I'd never even heard of the film until tonight when we went to the cinema and someone else picked the movie.

I'm amazed. Its visually incredibly striking, the whole thing is stooped in metaphor. The story and performances, the animations of the characters, its absolutely stellar.

In an era of generic CG shite, I really hope this movie gets noticed, as its a really exceptional piece of work.

Besides, any movie in which a talking rat barman says the following line instantly deserves to win:

I once found a whole human spinal column in my fecal matter.
I also liked Waffles' line about the mammogram.

DonMigs85

DonMigs85 said:
Yes, exactly. And Rattlesnake Jake should not be bigger than the cat either.
Oh, one more thing - Mayor Tortoise's secretary was a fox right? WHY IS THE FOX ONLY ABOUT AS BIG AS THE RATTLESNAKE'S HEAD???

Dead

well not really...yet
Its got to hurt to see fully finished scenes like that cut. Sucks for the animators (and sucks for the wallets of the production as well, lol)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
DonMigs85 said:
Oh, one more thing - Mayor Tortoise's secretary was a fox right? WHY IS THE FOX ONLY ABOUT AS BIG AS THE RATTLESNAKE'S HEAD???

I tend to ignore scale for movies like this. Even Fantastic Mr. Fox has scaling errors too.

DonMigs85

Ookami-kun said:
I tend to ignore scale for movies like this. Even Fantastic Mr. Fox has scaling errors too.
I tried not to mind it too, but it was still a bit jarring, seeing tiny cats and foxes and a ginormous anaconda-sized rattlesnake.

Dead said:
A fully finished Deleted Scene from Rango (Spoilers, its from the end part of the movie)

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810079248/video/24561871

A CGtalk member who seemed to have worked on the film hints there is more finished footage that was cut from the film simply to make it shorter. Can our resident ILMer confirm/deny this?

that was so good! hahaha

I love all the different lighting setups and environments they had for just one movie.

The Lamp

Good movie. Not awesome but not terrible.

Absolutely amazing CG, however. The
spirit of the west human
almost looked real!

Animator

Dead said:
Its got to hurt to see fully finished scenes like that cut. Sucks for the animators (and sucks for the wallets of the production as well, lol)

It happens all the time. You learn to live with it.

Danielsan

I finally got to see this yesterday and it exceeded my every expectation. I seriously think this is the most fun I had watching an animated movie in a long long time. I'd go as far as to say to it's better than many Pixar offerings, and I love me some Pixar.

The animation is just downright stellar. So many suburb little details in the animation just sell you on the experience and the characters. The extremely detailed characters and worlds are also a bliss to watch. Even near the end of the movie I found myself in awe of what was on display. It also helps that the cinematography is quite exceptional.

However where the movie truly won me over is just the pure, loveable and hilarious quirk. The first 20 minutes or so had me crying my eyes out from laughter and the film is littered throughout with clever plays on words and fantastic slapstick moments. I love that the movie just dares to be strange and run with it. The dream sequence Rango has while spending his first night in the desert was fantastic madness. I definitely have to second that this film really isn't for kids, though there is plenty of eye candy, slapstick and action for them to enjoy, ultimately much of the movie will go straight over their heads.

Of course the overall plot is cliché, and hell many of the scenes were somewhat predictable. Nevertheless, it's the execution that matters and as far as I'm concerned it was close to flawless.

sangreal

Saw this last night. Went in not knowing anything about it other than some people were mad about the rating. I thought it was fantastic and I'm glad they didn't jump on the 3d bandwagon. As soon as I saw the Fear and Loathing reference I knew I made a good choice

Blader

Decided to take the gf to see this yesterday based on all the praise the movie has been getting, despite my negative impressions of the trailers/commercials. As it turned out, I had it right the first time.

The only interesting thing about the film was that
I never realized before how Timothy Olyphant *does* sound a lot like Clint Eastwood.

Why For?

Banned
Fuck that was a boring movie.

I tried to like it so much, I actually tried. But fuck me it wasn't good.

The CG quality was unparalleled though. Stunning to look at, horrible to watch. Not since Wall E has such a short movie (1.5 hours) felt so incredibly long.

Why For?

Banned
UltimaPooh said:
What exactly was wrong with it for those who didn't enjoy it?

and what would be a better animated movie?

Uh, everything by Pixar? How to train your dragon? Shrek 1?

It was just boooooring. Nothing happened. Or at least it felt like nothing happened. I like to go into movies with a very open mind.

It must be the way Verbinski paces his movies because I nodded off during Pirates 3 as well.

XiaNaphryz

UltimaPooh said:
What exactly was wrong with it for those who didn't enjoy it?
I've noticed people who don't care for westerns didn't particularly rave about Rango, and people who loved the genre gushed about it. Film geeks also seemed to really enjoy it due to the cinematography, references, etc.

Why For? said:
Uh, everything by Pixar? How to train your dragon? Shrek 1?

I agree with the majority of Pixar movies... however How to Train your Dragon was terrible in comparison and Shrek while decent wasn't as brilliant or entertaining as Rango.

It was just boooooring. Nothing happened. Or at least it felt like nothing happened. I like to go into movies with a very open mind.

Nothing happened? Did you fall asleep during the entire trench run?

It must be the way Verbinski paces his movies because I nodded off during Pirates 3 as well.

Pirates 2 and 3 were bad.

XiaNaphryz said:
I've noticed people who don't care for westerns didn't particularly rave about Rango, and people who loved the genre gushed about it. Film geeks also seemed to really enjoy it due to the cinematography, references, etc.

I can enjoy a western but I mostly enjoyed it for your latter reasons that you listed. The movie also had a nice layer or two of philosophy something that a lot of animated movies don't touch on in a substancial way.

I think Rango will give Pixar a run for their money this year when it comes to the Oscars.

Why For?

Banned
UltimaPooh said:
I agree with the majority of Pixar movies... however How to Train your Dragon was terrible in comparison and Shrek while decent wasn't as brilliant or entertaining as Rango.

Nothing happened? Did you fall asleep during the entire trench run?

Pirates 2 and 3 were bad.

I don't know. Possibly.

I was with 3 other people, and I tend to have a more refined taste in movies than the 3 I was with, but all 4 of us didn't enjoy it at all.

I was so restless. Couldn't sit still, nodded off a couple of times. Like I said, last time I did that was Pirates 3 and Quantum of Solace. Only 3 times I've ever been like that at the movies.

But the general vibe of the whole cinema was 'meh'. Barely any laughs throughout, I think I actually laughed probably the most, which is a worry given I didn't really enjoy it.

I think Much of that movie could have been cut, or he could've shortened the scenes that WERE in there. Everything just draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagged on. A lot of unnecessary padding to get it out to an hour and a half, and even then it felt like a 4 hour movie.

Just chalk it up to one of the rare movies I don't actually like. Because I'm a bit of a slut when it comes to movies. I can enjoy almost anything, so I find it disappointing I didn't like Rango at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom