• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rango (dir. Verbinski, Johnny Depp) - ILM's first feature-length animated film

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmshaposv

This came out today where i live.

Wow - what a technical marvel. ILM show how its done.

Story was okay, and the homages were nice. However, beyond the technical wizardry I feel the film is rather forgettable.

A fun weekend watch. 7.5/10

Meier said:
I had no clue ILM did this until just looking at the capsule reviews on RT a few minutes ago. I figured it was from Dreamworks since I knew it wasn't Disney. Definitely excited to see it!

Re: ILM and annimation - it's cool to see potentially the alpha and omega of ILM and Pixar potentially meeting in the middle in the future. Most people know of how Pixar was originally owned by Lucasfilm and most of what ILM pioneered in early CGI work in film was done by using tech and more importantly, the skills that the Pixar team imparted to ILM. Pixar wanted to make character driven fully CGI features and ILM was a tool to provide CGI effects the then became CGI characters that then have become full CGI sequences to now CGI character driven full films.

Also remember that ILM was working on getting back into the full CGI movie business with a CG version of Frankenstein about 10 years ago.

With Andrew Stanton and Pixar now working on the live action John Carter of Mars and ILM getting Rango out... bizzaro world am here.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
RT up to 73/87 for 84% with a 7.4 average rating, and a couple of sites are predicting it'll place on top the BO figures for the weekend. Woo!

The M.O.B

I'm hearing a ton of great things about this movie, though it is only rated PG, people are saying there is more here for adults rather than kids.

Hopefully will get around to seeing it this weekend.

XiaNaphryz

It's been reviewing pretty well as of late - up to 88% now at RT with 113 reviews counted and holding steady at a 7.5 average score. It'll likely top the box office this weekend, and a few people are already touting it as the early Oscar favorite.

Adam J.

Saw it tonight--technically, this movie is a beast, but the script seemed a bit underdone. I dunno, It may be great. Need to see it again. I love that it's a mainstream animated movie without smirks and schmaltz.

XiaNaphryz

Regulus Tera said:
The uncanny valley effect in this movie is too much for me. I might watch it at some point in the future.
You're the first one I've heard with the valley complaint, for what that's worth.

I've never heard of someone complaining of the uncanny valley in something that doesn't try to portray realistic humans/any at all.

Azar

Story plays second fiddle to film allusions, glorious animation and an absofuckinglutely incredible score. Really, really fun.

Kusagari

I really enjoyed it. I also think the story was pretty great until near the end where it started to get slightly bizarre and weird at points.

TUROK

Regulus Tera said:
The uncanny valley effect in this movie is too much for me. I might watch it at some point in the future.
The uncanny valley effect should not come into play in a stylized film like this, at all.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
TUROK said:
The uncanny valley effect should not come into play in a stylized film like this, at all.

It's the clothes and all that shit.

Also the motion capture.

XiaNaphryz said:
You're the first one I've heard with the valley complaint, for what that's worth.

Photorealism sucks.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
XiaNaphryz said:

Aren't all the characters animals? In which case, how could there even be uncanny valley?

RedStep

Regulus Tera said:
It's the clothes and all that shit.

Also the motion capture.

Photorealism sucks.
This Uncanny Valley, I do not think it means what you think it means.

One: it is made up almost entirely of fantastical creatures. The human characters are heavily stylized.

Two: it wasn't motion-captured.

Also: I thought it was excellent. A bit weird toward the end. But that's okay.
Why was the Spirit of the West driving a golf cart around the desert picking up oscars?

XiaNaphryz

OuterWorldVoice said:
Aren't all the characters animals? In which case, how could there even be uncanny valley?
There's a few humans you see in the film, but they're definitely stylized to a degree.

That said, I think he's complaining about something else.

bob page

This movie was incredible, one of my favorite non-Pixar animateds. Great witty script and definitely pretty mature. I loved the characters too- so much creativity and detail.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
XiaNaphryz said:
There's a few humans you see in the film, but they're definitely stylized to a degree.

That said, I think he's complaining about something else.

What did you do on the movie?

XiaNaphryz

Nothing directly, as I'm with the R&D team that supports all shows and divisions. We develop software, tools, plug-ins, shaders, pipeline, etc. So we kinda touch a little of everything (paint, textures, layout, rendering, simulation, modeling, animation, etc)

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
RedStep said:
This Uncanny Valley, I do not think it means what you think it means.

One: it is made up almost entirely of fantastical creatures. The human characters are heavily stylized.

I'm talking about the lizards and birds and all that shit. They look really artificial.

Regulus Tera said:
I'm talking about the lizards and birds and all that shit. They look really artificial.

I could not disagree more. I'm so glad ILM departed from the normally stale animated animal style (look at any Pixar/Dreamworks.)

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I loved the detail. I seem to like Verbinski's take on the surreal. There's a bit in the beginning and towards the end, but the rest is pretty traditional which lets it down a bit. Still a fun movie overall to watch.

Morn

Banned
The
fecal matter line
and its reaction from the other characters had me laughing so hard I almost had a stroke.

And
best "cameo" since Zombieland

NeoForte

So I just got back from seeing it and wow I must say it was an amazong film. Story was a bit cliched and predictable but honestly I enjoyed the ride. The CGI and animetion were top notch adn really I don't have many complaints, only I ask why
The Spirit of the West wasn't voiced by Clint Eastwood. I mean it's clearly him! Felt so weird not hearing his voice come out of him :(

Loam

Went to see this with a few friends not expecting much, however I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised. The story was enjoyable (albeit a bit predictable) and as others have said the sound track and visuals were truly impressive. Really liked the stylization too, character designs were fun and unique without being too wacky or out of place. My only complaint is that
the "Spirit of the West" so strongly resemble Clint Eastwood without actually being voiced by him
. Though it didn't detract from the movie any, and I can easily guess as to why this was the case. Overall I thought it was a really good film, definitely worth the money to see it in theaters.

bob page

I really didnt have a problem with the Spirit's voice since it was by Seth Bullock, the 2nd most awesome cowboy character ever.

Forkball

XiaNaphryz said:
From storyboard to previz to final animation to final render:

2P2sE.jpg

T0GmI.jpg

KZPrl.jpg

hXcsF.png
This reminds me of this image:

2OIyn.jpg

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
Quality-ass film here. Had to pinch myself a couple times I couldn't believe what I was seeing on the screen. Had a "yyyy-YUP" moment seeing Deakins in the credits, as there is some serious compositional and cinematographic artistry on display throughout. A few complaints regarding pacing and plot-development in the last act, but the dialogue and voice acting were beyond superb.

(Among the many film references, haven't heard anyone mention
Jurassic Park outhouse
yet).

dmshaposv

Man I want to see what ILM can do next. My 3D modeler/animator was splooging his pants at every scene. The Deakin-esque cinematography was making me splooge mah pants.

What a great looking movie. Pity the story was meh but there were some great one liners.

ahoyle77

So, to those who have seen it, what do you think about it for kids? My six year old son wants to see it, but hearing all the talk about it being more for adults than kids, I am not so sure. Anyone taken their kids to see it yet?

XiaNaphryz

ahoyle77 said:
So, to those who have seen it, what do you think about it for kids? My six year old son wants to see it, but hearing all the talk about it being more for adults than kids, I am not so sure. Anyone taken their kids to see it yet?
It depends on how well he would take the slower parts as there's a bunch of dialogue bits, and he'll likely not get a lot of the references/jokes. He'll probably dig the action sequences and slapstick parts. There's also a bunch of "damns" and "hells" thrown around language-wise.

My almost 5-year old liked it, though he got a bit shifty in his seat at times during the slow parts.

bob page

There was another line that I heard that no one seemed to pick up on:

When talking to the Indian Lone Star:
"We could use your ingenuity around here, not meaning any offense."

XiaNaphryz

Not entirely surprising, it's not really a mainstream family cartoon and all, so people going in expecting something else likely would have scored it lower.

Meier

Saw it today and enjoyed it.. pacing is a bit slow at times. Theatre was not particularly full and I know the numbers from Friday were below expectations -- a shame really. I think it's far too "adult" (explains the relatively low Cinemascore) so I expect the legs to be quite short. Girlfriend wanted to go to a regular place instead of the Drafthouse so there were lots of kids there and the youngsters were getting very restless.

bob page said:
There was another line that I heard that no one seemed to pick up on:

When talking to the Indian Lone Star:
"We could use your ingenuity around here, not meaning any offense."
One of my favorite lines. :lol

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Dragged a bit at times. Was ok.

Animation and modeling were incredible though. Yikes! You can really see all the little details in the lizards' faces! Animation was very fluid and not 'floaty' and eye movement was quite well done too.

Wish they could've gotten Eastwood to do that one part though :(

Not entirely a kid's film, though I wonder how a fully animated 'adult' film would be taken by audiences? Seems anything 'animated' automatically gets 'kid-geared' stuck to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom