• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rant: Sony, no more gifs

These meme gifs that Sony obviously tells their studios to do arent cool. It's comes off as 40 something executives having their developers make gifs to appeal to "the youth" and completely misses the mark. At most you'll get mid late 30smth facebook dads sharing it but yea, they aren't cool.

God Of War Atreus GIF by Santa Monica Studio

God Of War Perfection GIF by Santa Monica Studio

Excite Parks And Recreation GIF by Naughty Dog

Happy The Last Of Us GIF by PlayStation

The Last Of Us Headbang GIF by PlayStation

Last edited:
These meme gifs that Sony obviously tells their studios to do arent cool. It's comes off as 40 something executives having their developers make gifs to appeal to "the youth" and completely misses the mark. At most you'll get mid late 30smth facebook dads sharing it but yea, they aren't cool.
Where were you when people started sharing memes?

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I have no idea what corners of the internet the OP is at where they are just getting bombarded with these, but if it's full of the below I say "moar please":

Holy shit this is fantastic. It took me like a minute to place it.

. . .like seriously, the complaint is SONY is trying to appeal to MORE consumers? Why is this a bad thing (instead of just skipping by them and moving on)?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

God Of War Perfection GIF by Santa Monica Studio

Excite Parks And Recreation GIF by Naughty Dog

Happy The Last Of Us GIF by PlayStation

The Last Of Us Headbang GIF by PlayStation

You sound butt hurt about something that's created to make people smile. I think there're great! Why so mad?

cormack12

Gold Member
They are from a simpler time. They were good at that time. Even the gif lord of sunhilegend, much and a few others has waned to be honest.

Now, I think the target audience has kind of moved on. The latest reference material isn't that well known or more pop culture whereas the initial gif sources were ones that were ubiquitous from gaf to 4ch.

But to be honest I don't really see them that much. Sometimes ND might do a themed dump of new gifs or SSM but I don't see many really. There's loads of terrible ones in this thread though so I'm thankful I haven't.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Thumb Up Ok GIF by PlayStation

God Of War Love GIF by Santa Monica Studio

\

Dance Reaction GIF by Guerrilla

lol....I think this thread is backfiring on the OP

Are these from SONY themselves? I always though (and I don't know why I thought this) that they were somehow from independent "memers" or something, but then how could they have gotten the engines to do these machinima.

. . .also you know how I know these aren't overused - I've only ever seen them on Twitter or in forums randomly. Half of these "oversaturated" gifs I've never even seen (how that THE SHINING one didn't blow up I'll never know).

Jennings

It's just free crowd-sourced advertising that their fans wanna share. If you think the gifs are just spam maybe you can report them.

Topher

Gold Member
Are these from SONY themselves? I always though (and I don't know why I thought this) that they were somehow from independent "memers" or something, but then how could they have gotten the engines to do these machinima.

. . .also you know how I know these aren't overused - I've only ever seen them on Twitter or in forums randomly. Half of these "oversaturated" gifs I've never even seen (how that THE SHINING one didn't blow up I'll never know).

I've always assumed Sony made them but I don't know. cormack12 cormack12 just posted a thread that has a new one.

Right on cue....

cormack12

Gold Member

They are usually done by the studios. Like ND release their memes on infection day or whatever its called, and SSM usually post release they are probably just fun little experience for interns or people with time at the end of a project

Top Bottom