• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rarest Game You Own?

Everything I owned that was rare has either been reprinted or rereleased as a HD collection.

ICO - reprinted and HD collection
Shadow of the Colossus - HD collection
SMT III: Nocturne/Lucifer Call - reprinted
Digital Devil Saga 1 - reprinted
Digital Devil Saga 2 - reprinted
Zone of the Enders 2 - reprinted
Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence - HD collection
Ar Tonelico EU - reprinted
Gitaroo Man - reprinted

I think the only rare-ish games I own now that has stayed that way are Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army and Gregory Horror Show (but that's still easy enough to find).

man, i bought some of those smt games for the collection shortly before they announced reprints. guess i should have waited. one of the hazards of collecting i guess, and i am glad i own them so whatever.

Dr Dogg

man, i bought some of those smt games for the collection shortly before they announced reprints. guess i should have waited. one of the hazards of collecting i guess, and i am glad i own them so whatever.

Well asides from most of them being stellar I also bought them to add to my collection and thought nothing of it and that surely there price can only go up, oh boy was I wrong. Ar Tonelico was only available in Italy in Europe as it was published by 505 games and was a right pain to get hold of. Thankfully my Mum was working out there so got her to begrudgingly pick me up a copy for around £60. About the same time the sequel was being released, this time published by NIS Europe in the major European countries 505 decided to do a mass reprint for what is a very niche title and flooded the market. Copies could be had on eBay, Amazon, Play for as little as £8. Oh well live and learn.

Edit. Speaking of reprints, this is one thing I hate about game collecting that I find doesn't effect the value of other items I collect like books and lp's and when I used to collect comics way back when. First editions would be go up in value as newer ones were released. I've got some lp's that I've picked up in charity shops and market sales for penny's that are now worth £100's due to reprints but totally screwed over on games. Bloody new medium, I hope I live long enough to see the market blossom instead of it being full of scalpers.

I have these still sealed although they aren't terribly rare.

photo_zpse95f0f6f.jpg

I plan on giving the PS2 to my son on his 18th birthday. He's four months now.

Didn't realize until now that the PS3 FO3 lunch box is different from the 360 one. At least different from mine.

Whoops, nevermind, it's just the other side is on the front of the packaging.

Kevtones

Everything I owned that was rare has either been reprinted or rereleased as a HD collection.

SMT III: Nocturne/Lucifer Call - reprinted - If you have the original LE w/soundtrack (sealed) = $$$
Digital Devil Saga 1 - reprinted - Original box set (sealed) = $$$
Gitaroo Man - reprinted - Orignal white label sealed = $$$

I think the only rare-ish games I own now that has stayed that way are Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army and Gregory Horror Show (but that's still easy enough to find).

NotLiquid

I've got the US versions of this and MML2. I had no idea they were so rare.

Cult status + very little shipments do these things to a game. Doesn't help that in Tron Bonne's case few people have played it since it's one of those games I hear are pretty much impossible to emulate.

You're one lucky dog though, finding a copy of MML2 for a reasonable price is a nightmare. Still trying to work on that myself.

I guess the Ni no Kuni Wizard Edition counts.

Sure does. Still bummed they didn't sell it on Amazon in the US, unlike seemingly every other country, but there was no way I was going $120 deep on that game without playing it (though in retrospect, it would have been worth it). The only time I did that was with Fallout 3, because of the lunch box and bobblehead.

Sonix90

Neo Member
I used to own Shining the Holy Ark and Guardian Heroes (both PAL) for Saturn but sold them last year, so for now my rarest games are probably:

Salamander Deluxe Pack Plus (Saturn)
Gradius Deluxe Pack (Saturn)
Rez (PS2)
Shadow of the Colossus (Collector's Edition, PS2)

I don't really know if Rez is considered as rare anymore, SotC also dropped in price after the HD release. As for other games, Aero Elite Combat Academy (PS2, Aerodancing 4 in Japan) definitely didn't have much of a print run but is not that expensive too.

Lucent

Sure does. Still bummed they didn't sell it on Amazon in the US, unlike seemingly every other country, but there was no way I was going $120 deep on that game without playing it (though in retrospect, it would have been worth it). The only time I did that was with Fallout 3, because of the lunch box and bobblehead.

I wasn't either, but I had a feeling it'd be hard to get (boy was I right) and that if I didn't like it I could easily break even at the least.

Lunar 1 and 2 would've been part of my rare game collection, but they were stolen about 10 years ago. =/

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Got some stupid game called Panzer Dragoon Saga for some stupid machine I've never heard of. Looks lame as fuck and probably isn't worth shit.

Dr Dogg

Sadly being a dirty Brit I've got the less collectable EU versions. SMT III and DDS 1 were published by Ghostlight over here and never came with the soundtracks, DDS 2 got a collectors edition with the soundtrack and art cards which I do have but is hovering around the rare-but-not-expensive region. Gitaroo Man has never commanded a high price, a sealed first print copy goes for around £20 on eBay.

What really did my head in was when MGS HD collection released loads of copies of MGS 3 Subsistance suddenly started cropping up all over the place. Owned it since day 1 but a copy in good nick was going for around £100 and a sealed copy £400. All of a sudden prices plummeted to as low as £30. Still its the only version with certain extras like Duel Mode and Snake vs Monkey and the EU version has the Existence film which is... well it's close to 4 hours of mashed up cutscenes so you be the judge. Thankfully I plan on keeping my collection, more than likely to pass on.

dc rez goes for $50 but ps2 version can get for about $20

Here's an interesting tidbit about PS2 Rez, it has a few problems with the manufacture and a lot of copies didn't work at all so sealed copy prices were actually a lot lower than opened and used copies, well providing they worked of course.

Spongebob

Banned
Are anyone of the two baten kaitos games worth anything?

some people try to sell green label and black label for different prices but ff7 in general is going for about $45-50

My copy is in rough condition, so I doubt I could even get half that if I wanted to sell it.

Mzo

Lots, but none of it sealed. I play my games.

Actual rarest and not fake eBay rarest is probably Rakugaki Showtime.

Used to have an SNES Ninja Gaiden Trilogy that I bought from a rental place for $15. Lent it to someone in college, never saw it again D=

I wasn't either, but I had a feeling it'd be hard to get (boy was I right) and that if I didn't like it I could easily break even at the least.

Lunar 1 and 2 would've been part of my rare game collection, but they were stolen about 10 years ago. =/

Yeah, strong logic there. I just hate the process of selling things, and only do it when it's simple like a code or something, and even then, I feel slightly sleazy about it for no good reason.

Dr Dogg

Zelda Col. Edition or Metroid Prime Trilogy

Is this still considered rare? I think this is yet another game I own that got a reprint. I know it goes for a lot but there is always a steady supply, which kind of goes against the term rare. Final Fantasy VII is always labeled as rare but unless people have been destroying copies there still around 10 million plus copies out there.

I've got the original Pal Ico with the post cards and original art-work slip-cover.

Bought it brand new when it came out and kept it ever since.

daveo42

Banned
Most I have is a LE Nocturne copy with Atlus guide book, a non greatest hits copy of Xenogears, and original print of the deluxe Lunar Silver Star Story Complete and Eternal Blue.

NotLiquid

Is this still considered rare? I think this is yet another game I own that got a reprint. I know it goes for a lot but there is always a steady supply, which kind of goes against the term rare. Final Fantasy VII is always labeled as rare but unless people have been destroying copies there still around 10 million plus copies out there.

In the US, the game only ran for a number of months and has been out of print for a very long time. It's the only region that also got the Steelbook variant.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
3 and 4 are rare 3 goes for $70-80 complete and 4 $80-90 complete 1 is pretty common

edit: nm you have 2 thats rare as well $55-60

They're all complete but the boxes are a little rough. The cartridges however are pristine. I think I paid 25 cents for each.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
only ebay and dumb shits on amazon will try to get more for "like new" boxes complete is complete

edit: also those dont look like they have much ware except for the corners id love to have those nice stuff man :D

Platy

8VXi1ma.jpg

85 dollars ... I expected more

And a n64 Zelda golden cartridge that is so old and dusted that I don't even think it works anymore =/

...and GTA 1 and 2 on steam LOL

Claneko

Probably Battle Arena Toshinden on the Game Boy.

I never, ever even see this game mentioned or acknowledged. It's a decent game too.

battle_arena_toshinden_11_box_front.jpg

Wow...I used to love that game when I had it. (I was a big Toshinden fan for the first two games, plus the gameboy entry) Very cool to see somebody mention it.
As for my rares (or maybe not actually rare), I have:

Final Fantasy 2 Famicom-----\ Sacrificed a Gyromite cart to play these on my NES.
Final Fantasy 3 Famicom-----/
FF2 Wonderswan Complete in box
FF1 Wonderswan
FF4 Wonderswan
Dragon Warrior VII US PS1
Final Fantasy 5 (SFAM)
Final Fantasy XI: 2008 Collection (I think it's called) Xbox 360

There are more, but they are kept in a box and clearly not fresh on my mind. Again, I don't think any of these are actually all that rare, but they can be a bit uncommon and I'm happy to own them.

zruben

Banned
well, I didn't checked the prices on ebay before, but apparently, I have a couple of gems here... nothing too fancy, but still good stuff (nothing is sealed but everything is complete and in perfect conditions)

- Majora's Mask (gold cartridge with hologram label) - N64
- Illusion of Gaia - SNES
- NES with gray collored Zapper
- Super Mario RPG - SNES
- Tales of Symphonia (regular label) - GC
- Twin Snakes (regular label) - GC
- Megaman X collection - GC
- Tiny Toons Wacky Sport Challenge - SNES
- A boy and his Blob - NES

sorry about the lack of pics, most of those games are on my parents' home. (I hope they haven't threw anything away).

never really thought about selling stuff... but after checking those prices, maybe I will sell some things. o_O

EDIT: I also have the NES Power Pad, but I don't really know how much it costs.

galvatron

Probably my Neo Geo MVS Kit for Super Dodgeball or Steel Batallion.
Or maybe my Street Fighter 2: World Warrior (revision 1, so all of the glitches are in there)?

If we're just talking about production numbers Neo Geo/JAMMA is the way to go for cheap ultra rare stuff.

Is The Legend of Zelda : Four swords Adventure rare? They seem to be going for £50 on ebay, I still have the big box it came in with the Gameboy cable.

914976_55441_front.jpg

Kevtones

Sadly being a dirty Brit I've got the less collectable EU versions. SMT III and DDS 1 were published by Ghostlight over here and never came with the soundtracks, DDS 2 got a collectors edition with the soundtrack and art cards which I do have but is hovering around the rare-but-not-expensive region. Gitaroo Man has never commanded a high price, a sealed first print copy goes for around £20 on eBay.

Interesting that Gitaroo Man has dipped. The first print is distinguishable too.

Snagged it along with R.A.D., Okage, Tsugunai, RECVX for the GameCube, and a couple others at one of those $5 Circuit City sales back in 2004. It was incredible.

bideogamer

Neo Member
Not my pictures.
BuRTxAJ.jpg

588739_51644_front.jpg
Boxed in meh condition, no manual. Cart is pristine! Love this one.

ost_front.jpg

Not a game, but might be my rarest game item?

Top Bottom