• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet and Clank - Quest for Booty - August 21 - $14.99

Ceb

I just finished it. *looks at time of last post*

I guess you can really say it's like a Pixar movie now. A 3-4 hour playable Pixar movie. I thought it was fantastic. Very enjoyable. Yes, shame about there not being any unlockables or anything. I didn't mind the stripped-down weapons collecting and upgrading though - I thought that only helped to preserve the game's focus.

Great mixture of platforming, some light puzzling for a change, nice action near the end. The writing is excellent too. I could definitely go for more tight, short experiences like this.

Longtime R&C fans will probably like the surprise at the end too, I'm guessing.

Heap some praise over your work buddies at Insomniac, jstevenson. Great game! :D

Rimshot

Still waiting for it to download fully :(
Should've bought it from the europe PSN, but the US price was almost 50% off, couldn't resist being a cheap-ass xD

Ceb said:
I just finished it. *looks at time of last post*

I guess you can really say it's like a Pixar movie now. A 3-4 hour playable Pixar movie. I thought it was fantastic. Very enjoyable. Yes, shame about there not being any unlockables or anything. I didn't mind the stripped-down weapons collecting and upgrading though - I thought that only helped to preserve the game's focus.

Great mixture of platforming, some light puzzling for a change, nice action near the end. The writing is excellent too. I could definitely go for more tight, short experiences like this.

Longtime R&C fans will probably like the surprise at the end too, I'm guessing.

Heap some praise over your work buddies at Insomniac, jstevenson. Great game! :D

sweet!

HUELEN10

Costanza said:
no

the story continues the cliffhanger left at the end of ToD
What if you don't give a shit about spoilers?

I mean I played it with a friend, so I beat it, but didn't get it. Should I wait, or play?

Evander

"industry expert"
HUELEN10 said:
What if you don't give a shit about spoilers?

I mean I played it with a friend, so I beat it, but didn't get it. Should I wait, or play?

it doesn't check your data or anything (from what I've heard)

if you already know the ending to ToD, I'd say go ahead

zbarron

I doubt anyone would know at this point but is it 7.1? ToD was but I'm curious if they sacrificed it for file size.

anddo0

Blu_LED said:
And your files are never this big.

I downloaded the first 9 episodes of Siren in 4 hours.

The Starwars demo only took 20-30mins and that's 1.3 gigs.
My R&C download is sitting at 54% 1.293gigs and the download started around 5:15est

Trust me this is not the norm.

KurowaSan said:
finally, installing. I could capture a couple of minutes of the game in HD, is there any interest?

Yeah if you could do a "first 10 minutes" gamersyde style it would be nice :)

I'm broke, I can't buy it until I latter this month :(

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
anddo0 said:
wow 50% after an hour and half? :|
My speeds are never this slow..

Very slow download for me also. I'm only at 25% after 90 mins. All my other PSN video downloads from Euro, US PSN downloaded must faster this evening.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
sw1tch said:
Really disappointed with the price for the EU Insomniac.
15$ =/= 15€.

heh, you should be glad we kept were able to keep it that low.

Pricing is never fully within our control.

jepjepjep

I'll probably get it anyway because I love the series, but is there a challenge mode or anything special for the second playthrough? Any easter eggs that rely on ToD clear data (I accidently erased my game save)?

anddo0

Well its official this download is as long as the game:lol (no pun, I love you guys but this is painful) At 71% (start time 5:15) the download would take about 3 and half hours to finish:lol

Aladuf

Banned
anddo0 said:
Well its official this download is as long as the game:lol (no pun, I love you guys but this is painful) At 71% (start time 5:15) the download would take about 3 and half hours to finish:lol

I started right around 5:15 too and I'm at 80% right now, the wait is killing me but I have a feeling it'll be well worth it once it's almost done.

KurowaSan

alright, I captured the first 10 minutes - cutscenes included. I'm encoding the video right now. It'll take a while to have it online.

Doel

Huge R&C fan here. Just played it for what I think was an hour and a half (wasn't really tracking the time). Really fun so far but I can say that I definitely enjoyed ToD more at this point.

I think the big draw for me in the R&C universe is buying/upgrading weapons. Q4B is clearly going for something a bit different and I just don't think they execute it as well as they can execute the gun combat and RPG elements.

And again, lock-strafe wasn't the default control scheme. So many people I know have been turned off this franchise because they didn't like the controls. I tell them about lock-strafe and they never knew it existed. But I guess if there was a game in the series that didn't have lock-strafe defaulted, this would be the one.

Heh, just watching some of the media from Leipzig and saw a shot of a Q4B home space in the PS3 compilation video, replete with Brian Allgeier(?) and our very own jstevenson. Can't wait to come visit you guys.

Also couldn't help wondering if that was your real PSN ID. If so, prepare for some friend requests. Not from me, my eyesight's terrible and I couldn't make it out, but some enterprising young internet detective will be on the case I'm sure.

edit: Thinking about it, with all the Resistance meet-ups your PSN ID probably got around quite a bit anyway. Oh well, still look forward to visiting your Ratchet home space.

Ploid 3.0

Time for me to embark on a quest for Booty. Finished installing, I took a step out to let the time fly. (popcorn in the microwave)

If it's short enough, I can see myself playing it over and over.

Evander

"industry expert"
man, the whole "should I wait to see if there is ever a BD release?" thing is going through my head.

I just feel like the moment I pay for it and it starts DLing, I'm gonna come back here to see the BD announcement.

Evander said:
man, the whole "should I wait to see if there is ever a BD release?" thing is going through my head.

I just feel like the moment I pay for it and it starts DLing, I'm gonna come back here to see the BD announcement.

Pretty sure the BD is Europe only.

vdo

Ceb said:
I think the game is really, really good so far. The grind rail sequence before wind turbine epsilon was better than any of the ones in ToD. And as always, Insomniac's art team has created an alien world that looks stunning. Maybe I'm just imagining things, but it feels like it's got more small details than the other "organic" planets in ToD had.

Enemy encounters are so sparse that I go "huh... oh yeah, this is that series that has lots of weapons and shooting in it" whenever one occurs. And I mean that in a good way. The platforming on the island has been much more engaging than the routine shootout in the beginning. Q4B is making me wish that Insomniac will turn the next Ratchet into some kind of truly Metroid-ish open-world, go-anywhere-you-can-see platforming adventure. Sticking to one huge planet wouldn't be such a bad idea.
Ceb said:
I didn't mind the stripped-down weapons collecting and upgrading though - I thought that only helped to preserve the game's focus.

All of those impressions are exactly what I like to hear. Expecially the more engaging platforming.

dralla

Just beat it, it's really short :[ but really good. Good ending sequence, the ending surprise is :lol . I have to say, after playing this I'm really going to miss the weapon ring in R2, mixing and matching weapons is what makes the combat fun. I throw out the Tornado Launcher and caught one of the big electric guys, than tossed a Fusion Grenade at him and bolts poured down from the sky. $9.99 would be a better price point because of the length and lack of RPG-ness

dralla said:
Just beat it, it's really short :[ but really good. Good ending sequence, the ending surprise is :lol . I have to say, after playing this I'm really going to miss the weapon ring in R2, mixing and matching weapons is what makes the combat fun. I throw out the Tornado Launcher and caught one of the big electric guys, than tossed a Fusion Grenade at him and bolts poured down from the sky. $9.99 would be a better price point because of the length and lack of RPG-ness

how long did it take you to beat it?

Evander

"industry expert"
frankthurk said:
Pretty sure the BD is Europe only.

rigth now it is

but with all the times that Sony has ported a PSP "exclusive" on to PS2, I don't know how much I can trust statements on formats.

JB1981

Did they improve the graphics? I don't remember Tools of Destruction having such sharp IQ. And the framerate - gah. There are so few games that look like this this generation.

Snipes424

Just beat it myself, I really enjoyed it. I liked the balance of platforming and combat, and the humor is really really good. I'm glad with the purchase :D

zbarron

Ploid 3.0 said:
Time for me to embark on a quest for Booty. Finished installing, I took a step out to let the time fly. (popcorn in the microwave)

If it's short enough, I can see myself playing it over and over.
Like the platformers of old.

Good lord. All of my installs take forever now. Once I installed this, anything else I install takes over ten minutes. HDD going bad?

Top Bottom