• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction Official Thread

Snah

Banned
I'm still amazed at how perfect the engine is in Ratchet. The only thing I would add, graphically, is some subtle motion blur to some of the cars and flying objects in the background.

I don't know how to explain it, but some objects seem a bit too perfectly round (lightpoles, robots).

This game proves how important image quality is. I support their move to use so much AA.

Also, they made the game a lot of fun on the second playthrough...tons of new upgrades to your weapons.

J-Rzez

theBishop said:
That's funny since so many EBstop employees in my experience have been pushing Nintendo products on people.

Depends on the area you live it I guess... At the both Gamestops in my area, it's all about the 360... I even heard one worker tell a customer once that the failure rate is being investigated by the federal government because they believe Sony started that rumor to sway people from buying the product instead of their own... They all slam the Wii though, and will push a PS3 on someone if the customer comes in trying to decide between a Wii and PS3 and have no interest what so ever in a 360...

Thrakier

Snah said:
I'm still amazed at how perfect the engine is in Ratchet. The only thing I would add, graphically, is some subtle motion blur to some of the cars and flying objects in the background.

I don't know how to explain it, but some objects seem a bit too perfectly round (lightpoles, robots).

This game proves how important image quality is. I support their move to use so much AA.

Also, they made the game a lot of fun on the second playthrough...tons of new upgrades to your weapons.

It's so nice to read such postings while I still see a good amount of aliasing each time I play the demo. great.

Snah said:

Is it worth upgrading your guns in the first playthrough, since the Omega guns come with all the upgrades already? Should I save the Raritanium for the second playthrough?

Snah

Banned
Thrakier said:
It's so nice to read such postings while I still see a good amount of aliasing each time I play the demo. great.

Sorry dude, I don't know why you see so much aliasing. I'm playing on a huge screen and the image quality is pristine. I'm running it in 720p.

Snah

Banned
AdmiralViscen said:
Is it worth upgrading your guns in the first playthrough, since the Omega guns come with all the upgrades already? Should I save the Raritanium for the second playthrough?

If what you say is true -- the omega weapons come equipped maxed -- then what else are you going to spend your raritanium on?

I haven't purchased any omega weapons yet because they are VERY expensive...like 1+ million bolts...

J-Rzez said:
Depends on the area you live it I guess... At the both Gamestops in my area, it's all about the 360... I even heard one worker tell a customer once that the failure rate is being investigated by the federal government because they believe Sony started that rumor to sway people from buying the product instead of their own... They all slam the Wii though, and will push a PS3 on someone if the customer comes in trying to decide between a Wii and PS3 and have no interest what so ever in a 360...
You guys have horrible Gamestops. I've never had anyone at my GS try to push anything on me. Then again I mostly just go in, get my game, then get out.

Snah said:
If what you say is true -- the omega weapons come equipped maxed -- then what else are you going to spend your raritanium on?

I haven't purchased any omega weapons yet because they are VERY expensive...like 1-9 million bolts...

Well it looked like someone earlier in the thread was saying that they come with the upgrades? I assumed they had new upgrades on top of that, but maybe I'm wrong about the whole thing. I'm only up to the
ice pirate
planet.

Didn't realize just how pricey the Omegas would be, I'll just stick with my current play.

Snah

Banned
AdmiralViscen said:
Well it looked like someone earlier in the thread was saying that they come with the upgrades? I assumed they had new upgrades on top of that, but maybe I'm wrong about the whole thing. I'm only up to the
ice pirate
planet.

Didn't realize just how pricey the Omegas would be, I'll just stick with my current play.

I would advise you to just max out your most powerful/useful weapons.

tanod

when is my burrito
Snah said:
I haven't purchased any omega weapons yet because they are VERY expensive...like 1+ million bolts...

I think JS said earlier that the Omega weapons cost is in raritanium. That's 1 million raritanium, I think.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
tanod said:
I think JS said earlier that the Omega weapons cost is in raritanium. That's 1 million raritanium, I think.

Just the Groovitron... the regular weapons are bolts.

The multiplier during challenge mode obviously helps a lot... if you run a x12 multiplier for a while you'll quickly get bolts.

steve

Banned
I have thus far focused all my upgrading efforts on the grenades, because that's what I use the most. I've completely maxed them out now though, so it's time to start working on something else.

I haven't played in 2 days and I'm already going through withdrawls. My wife needs a hobby so she can leave me alone for more than 5 minutes to play this game. :D

The fact that some of you guys are on your second playthrough already boggles my mind.

Snah

Banned
WHERE ARE THE RATCHET ADVERTISEMENTS, J-STEV?

This game needs more HYPE on TV....I feel as if only the hardcore PS3 fanbase knows about it.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
jstevenson said:
Just the Groovitron... the regular weapons are bolts.

The multiplier during challenge mode obviously helps a lot... if you run a x12 multiplier for a while you'll quickly get bolts.

James, why was Future taken out of the European title?

Looking forward to getting this when it comes out in PAL land.

Thrakier

Snah said:
Sorry dude, I don't know why you see so much aliasing. I'm playing on a huge screen and the image quality is pristine. I'm running it in 720p.

Not much, but I can see aliasing. It's not perfect antialiased. There is some on Ratchet if you look closely. I god a 1080p Set, maybe this is the problem.

Jim

AltogetherAndrews said:
Thanks for the poster Jim! Now to select a good frame. Slim metallic burgundy? Possibly.

Hopefully it got there ok :) It had a few squished edges from when it was originally sent my way, but should come out nice if you get it framed (post some pics if you do).

steve

Banned
Thrakier said:
Not much, but I can see aliasing. It's not perfect antialiased. There is some on Ratchet if you look closely. I god a 1080p Set, maybe this is the problem.
It sounds to me like your just being ridiculously picky. It sounds to me, liek you're seeing the same game we all are, but when you see any imperfection, you're calling it out, whereas we are all enjoying how near perfect it looks.

It sounds like, again I could be wrong, but from reading your words... in your world, there is no such thing as near perfect. It's either perfect, or it's flawed. If you have to "look closely" to find a graphical imperfection, then it's done somewthing right in my eyes.

Or you could just have a messed up display, in which case, disregard this post. :p

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Thrakier said:
I'd actually wager that it is the result of your 1080p set. Regardless of whether or not it is calibrated, 720p games on a 1080p display simply aren't going to look as clean as they would on a lower resolution display.

I recall testing Resistance (which has great AA) on a variety of 1080p LCDs and even the best Samsung panels were displaying some pretty serioues aliasing that would not have been visible on a 768p display. R&C doesn't have flawless AA, but it's about as good as we've seen this gen and looks insanely clean on my Pioneer 5080.

Jim

AdmiralViscen said:
ice pirate
planet.

I said it... but I meant that the Omega weapons seem to be powered up to the same point where the regular ones were at. In my case, nearly all maxed. The Omegas do not have additional upgrades.

It doesn't take THAT long to build up a few million bolts with the multipliers, especially as JS said, you get to the arena. By that point you can probably have 2 Omega weapons plus the bionic armor.

Thrakier said:

I have a new 1080p set (Sony SXRD) and it is seriously as smooth as any other game with AA that I've seen. I much prefer the display that a projection style set has still.

steve

Banned
I also wanted to commend Insomniac for their integration of the XMB into their visual aesthetic. It's already there, not sure why so many games force themsleves to create loading screens and stuff when the XMB is already there for the using. Bravo.

noonche

dark10x said:
I'd actually wager that it is the result of your 1080p set. Regardless of whether or not it is calibrated, 720p games on a 1080p display simply aren't going to look as clean as they would on a lower resolution display.

I recall testing Resistance (which has great AA) on a variety of 1080p LCDs and even the best Samsung panels were displaying some pretty serioues aliasing that would not have been visible on a 768p display. R&C doesn't have flawless AA, but it's about as good as we've seen this gen and looks insanely clean on my Pioneer 5080.

The lack of aliasing and other often seen graphical blemishes is the most impressive thing about the graphics to me. I love not being distracted all the time by shimmering, pop-in, lod popping, etc. It makes the game more cohesive and engrossing for me.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Snah said:
WHERE ARE THE RATCHET ADVERTISEMENTS, J-STEV?

This game needs more HYPE on TV....I feel as if only the hardcore PS3 fanbase knows about it.

Game officially launches on the 30th... commercial is coming this weekend sometime.

Thrakier

steve said:
It sounds to me like your just being ridiculously picky. It sounds to me, liek you're seeing the same game we all are, but when you see any imperfection, you're calling it out, whereas we are all enjoying how near perfect it looks.

It sounds like, again I could be wrong, but from reading your words... in your world, there is no such thing as near perfect. It's either perfect, or it's flawed. If you have to "look closely" to find a graphical imperfection, then it's done somewthing right in my eyes.

Or you could just have a messed up display, in which case, disregard this post. :p

Seroiusly, if there weren't the whole discussions here about the screwed 1080p Displays with Pixelation and so on I maybe would have never thought about the jaggies I can see. But all those guys in here "oh it has perfect aliasing!!111" and that's just not true for me. It's very clean, but I can see jaggies. For exampe I can find them on Quarks Statue in the Demo - I postet this hundred times but no one cared for looking for jaggies on this statue.

steve

Banned
Ok, well then I haven't made it to that one yet I guess, but you can fly around on the first dino planet (lvl 2 I believe) as well. Just find the launch pad and away you go.

steve

Banned
Thrakier said:
Seroiusly, if there weren't the whole discussions here about the screwed 1080p Displays with Pixelation and so on I maybe would have never thought about the jaggies I can see. But all those guys in here "oh it has perfect aliasing!!111" and that's just not true for me. It's very clean, but I can see jaggies. For exampe I can find them on Quarks Statue in the Demo - I postet this hundred times but no one cared for looking for jaggies on this statue.
I play on a 42" plasma, and unless I get off my ass and walk up to the TV, there's no jaggies there. Maybe your eyes are just better than mine, or maybe you sit too close to your TV.

steve

Banned
Btw, "very clean", "almost perfection", "best image quality ever" doesn't mean there's not a single jaggie in the game.

It just means that the overall image quality is way higher than anythign we're used to playing thus far this gen.

Raistlin

dark10x said:

Interesting, LCoS doesn't seem to have that issue ... at least not Sony's SXRD implementation.

Granted, if you read most reviews for them ... it is commonly stated that while it does indeed resolve 1080, its image is a bit softer (more 'movie like') than many of the competing techs. That actually has to do with the technology employed, as the space between pixels is quite small.

That combined with its processor, yields very nice images from both 720p and 1080p content. For example, I'm pretty sensitive to aliasing. While it doesn't ruin games for me, I'm aware of its presence (granted, severe aliasing does distract me a bit). For Resistance and R&C however, I generally have to look for it. There are few times it is obviously apparent.

Thrakier

Onix said:
Interesting, LCoS doesn't seem to have that issue ... at least not Sony's SXRD implementation.

Granted, if you read most reviews for them ... it is commonly stated that while it does indeed resolve 1080, its image is a bit softer (more 'movie like') than many of the competing techs. That actually has to do with the technology employed, as the space between pixels is quite small.

That combined with its processor, yields very nice images from both 720p and 1080p content. For example, I'm pretty sensitive to aliasing. While it doesn't ruin games for me, I'm aware of its presence (granted, severe aliasing does distract me a bit). For Resistance and R&C however, I generally have to look for it. There are few times it is obviously apparent.

Is it apparent for you in the Demo on Quarks Statue? Could you look, please?

@Steve

That's not true for me. For example out of my head I think Gears of War looks cleaner. And while I see that Ratchet is clean, esspecially when you press L1 Ratchets Head looks very clean, I can still see jaggies regularly.

Snah

Banned
Thrakier said:
Is it apparent for you in the Demo on Quarks Statue? Could you look, please?

@Steve

That's not true for me. For example out of my head I think Gears of War looks cleaner. And while I see that Ratchet is clean, esspecially when you press L1 Ratchets Head looks very clean, I can still see jaggies regularly.

Gears does not look cleaner. It isn't even utilizing any AA from what I can tell.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
HOLY SHITBALLS! Some of the arena matches in challenge mode are ROUGH. :lol

So fun. I feel like Scrooge McDuck in challenge mode. Diving into a sea of bolts everywhere! Muhahahaha!

My favorite weapons...spoiler if you want weapons to be a surprise or whatever (pansies).
Mag-Net Cannon - Awesome for crystal drops.
Judicator - Missile launching awesomeness.
Toxic Swarmers - Lay them down and watch the carnage.

Finally...

Mr. Zurkon!

Mr. Zurkon lives only to kill.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Kintaro said:
HOLY SHITBALLS! Some of the arena matches in challenge mode are ROUGH. :lol
They reduce the size of the arena which I think is a good thing, so that enemies cover ground quicker. Makes things more hectic. Wish there was a little more variety to arena configuration though like they had back in GC.

Jim

Onix said:

I love the look of games on the SXRD... which is why I have one. Visible pixel grids pretty much don't exist, and everything has a very smooth (but still sharp), progressive "movie-like" look to it, especially in 1080p. R&C looks incredible on it, as others with the same set have also mentioned.

JS has one at home I believe, so maybe he had them tune the game just for that set :)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Onix said:

No, LCOS doesn't really suffer from it. I was referring to 1080p direct view LCD panels.

I also quite like the appearance of rear projection LCOS displays *BUT* am unable to deal with the drawbacks of RP technology. Viewing angle remains a huge drawback.

Top Bottom