• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction Official Thread

Raistlin

Jim said:
I love the look of games on the SXRD... which is why I have one. Visible pixel grids pretty much don't exist, and everything has a very smooth (but still sharp), progressive "movie-like" look to it, especially in 1080p. R&C looks incredible on it, as others with the same set have also mentioned.

JS has one at home I believe, so maybe he had them tune the game just for that set :)

Yep ... you can walk right up to the screen, and there's no real grid structure to speak of.

I love mine :p

Basically, once Sony goes to LED and utilizes a screen with no SSD, the thing is going to be pretty close to perfect ... especially if they can improve the contrast.

If the game was tuned to SXRD ... I'm not complaining :D

dark10x said:
No, LCOS doesn't really suffer from it. I was referring to 1080p direct view LCD panels.

I also quite like the appearance of rear projection LCOS displays *BUT* am unable to deal with the drawbacks of RP technology. Viewing angle remains a huge drawback.

Yeah, viewing angle could use some work. That said, they are pretty accurate horizontally - pretty wide angle. Vertically? ... debacle :p

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Finally got it. Gamestop is an absolute nightmare. There was a woman in front of me haggling over the price of Madden 07 PSP and I just wanted to chop her head off with Wii Sports sleeves.

Ashhong

Thrakier said:
Not much, but I can see aliasing. It's not perfect antialiased. There is some on Ratchet if you look closely. I god a 1080p Set, maybe this is the problem.

Haven't you brought this up many times before? It's not just because you have a 1080p set, it's a problem for certain models. Ratchet should be playing in 720p right? The game should force it to that. Try going into the PS3 and disabling the 720p. There might now be a blurry line on the bottom. If that's the case, you have one of the problem TV's. I would suggest PMing Jstevenson or something.

JS, help this dude out!

Loudninja

Play Magazine 12/1/2007 10 out of 10 100.0%
Cheat Code Central 10/25/2007 5 out of 5 100.0%
GamePro 10/23/2007 5 out of 5 100.0%
GameTap 10/23/2007 10 out of 10 100.0%
Game Chronicles 10/23/2007 9.7 out of 10 97.0%
PSM Magazine 12/1/2007 9.5 out of 10 95.0%
PS3 Advanced 10/24/2007 9.5 out of 10 95.0%
GamerNode 10/23/2007 9.5 out of 10 95.0%
Lawrence 10/24/2007 9.4 out of 10 94.0%
IGN 10/23/2007 9.4 out of 10 94.0%
PSM3 Magazine UK 11/1/2007 93 out of 100 93.0%
GameZone 10/23/2007 9.3 out of 10 93.0%
Game Informer 12/1/2007 9.25 out of 10 92.5%
GamingTrend 10/24/2007 91 out of 100 91.0%
Electronic Gaming Monthly 12/1/2007 9 out of 10 90.0%
UGO 10/24/2007 A- 90.0%
Gaming Age 10/23/2007 A- 90.0%
Gametrailers 10/23/2007 9 out of 10 90.0%
GameAlmighty 10/23/2007 9 out of 10 90.0%
PSX Extreme 10/23/2007 9 out of 10 90.0%
Pro-G 10/23/2007 9 out of 10 90.0%
1UP 10/23/2007 8.5 out of 10 85.0%
Game Revolution 10/24/2007 B 80.0%
GameSpy 10/23/2007 4 out of 5 80.0%
GameSpot 10/23/2007 7.5 out of 10 75.0%
All reviews ! :D

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Jim said:
I love the look of games on the SXRD... which is why I have one. Visible pixel grids pretty much don't exist, and everything has a very smooth (but still sharp), progressive "movie-like" look to it, especially in 1080p. R&C looks incredible on it, as others with the same set have also mentioned.

JS has one at home I believe, so maybe he had them tune the game just for that set :)

Yeah, it looks awesome on my 1080p SXRD at home, but it also looks fantastic on the 1080p Bravia LCD in the office. It's not a matter of resolution though, we tested on many 1080p sets without seeing an issue.

Thrakier

jstevenson said:
Yeah, it looks awesome on my 1080p SXRD at home, but it also looks fantastic on the 1080p Bravia LCD in the office. It's not a matter of resolution though, we tested on many 1080p sets without seeing an issue.

Ok, then it just seems to be me. I'm one of the guys who can actually see aliasing and then there are guys who can't see it (not because it's not there but because they don't notice it). I have no other explanation. I don't have "extra aliasing" with other games, I don't believe it's my TV, it's not a bad one...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
jstevenson said:
I'm sure you have, but I've seen what 1080p LCD panels can do to an otherwise incredibly clean looking game. Insomniac's own Resistance was a great test, actually. The game appears extremely smooth and clean on most displays but becomes significantly less so on a 1080p LCD. I'm assuming Ratchet is very similar...

It's not that the games end up looking BAD on a 1080p LCD, rather, the image quality appears to take a hit.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Thrakier said:
Ok, then it just seems to be me. I'm one of the guys who can actually see aliasing and then there are guys who can't see it (not because it's not there but because they don't notice it). I have no other explanation. I don't have "extra aliasing" with other games, I don't believe it's my TV, it's not a bad one...

Well --- we still are investigating an issue that seems to be caused by very specific TV models (possibly the scaler inside the set doing something wonky?). We have your info and are looking into it. We only have seen 2 reports or so, and haven't seen it in the office yet.

CSSer

Just finished collecting all the holo-plans and received
the RYNO IV :D. Too bad I'm out of raritanium so I can't max out the upgrades :lol.

Snah said:
Can somebody who has beaten the game be kind enough to upload a zip file with their save (NOT the challenge mode save)?

Here's a save that
has the RYNO IV above and is saved at Planet Fastoon right after reaching the court of Azimuth (which I'm assuming is the final showdown). Most of my weapons have their upgrades, but most don't have their lv5 versions. I've put them in both rar and zip files so choose whichever one you'd like. This is the NTSC version by the way.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8KDBEHM8
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=N8NVR5CP

Raistlin

jstevenson said:

I would guess its a combination of the TV's settings, and its processor. Edge Enhancement, etc. coupled with the games color pallete, etc., plus scaling = unpredictable results.

Since you have an SXRD, try a little experiment when you get home. Switch your TV to 'vivid' and take a look at the results 0_0. I tried it last night ... you WILL be scared.

The edge enhancement, plus blown-out contrast, turns the game into a mess. I'm betting that's what many people are seeing. The SXRD's have good scaling, but some 1080ps aren't as good with that ... so they're probably getting even worse results >_<.

Basically, they're starting out with a shit looking image, and then adding scaling artifiacts to it as well. Then on top of all that, if they have a TV with a noticeable picture grid ... it ain't gonna be pretty.

Calibration FTW.

Snah

Banned
CSSer said:
Just finished collecting all the holo-plans and received
the RYNO IV :D. Too bad I'm out of raritanium so I can't max out the upgrades :lol.

Here's a save that
has the RYNO IV above and is saved at Planet Fastoon right after reaching the court of Azimuth (which I'm assuming is the final showdown). Most of my weapons have their upgrades, but most don't have their lv5 versions. I've put them in both rar and zip files so choose whichever one you'd like. This is the NTSC version by the way.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8KDBEHM8
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=N8NVR5CP

You are a god send! :D :D :D :D

Thank you so dearly. Now I can go back to the different planets and gaze at them in awe!

Thrakier

jstevenson said:
Well --- we still are investigating an issue that seems to be caused by very specific TV models (possibly the scaler inside the set doing something wonky?). We have your info and are looking into it. We only have seen 2 reports or so, and haven't seen it in the office yet.

I don't think it's an issue. I think I just look very closely.

@Onix

My TV IS calibrated.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Which planets are the holoplans on? =( I've gotten 2 or them. How many do I need? I need more weapons!

Snah

Banned
Y2Kev said:
Just got to the second planet. AFAIC, you need to play in lock strafe.

The only way to play the game is with Lock Strafe controls.

You also get MUCH better camera movement for the verticle axis...makes for viewing the environments in all their glory much easier.

CSSer

Kintaro said:
Which planets are the holoplans on? =( I've gotten 2 or them. How many do I need? I need more weapons!

Before entering the planets, you'll get some stats. You'll see ?/?, which represents how many gold bolts you have on that planet, and sometimes a picture after that. If that picture is filled with white, it means you've collected the holoplan on that planet. If it isn't, keep searching on that planet for it. I'm not sure how many are there, but there should be more than 10 altogether. If you want to get the gold bolts, you can wait until getting the treasure hunter item later on so it'll take out the guesswork on finding them because they're labeled on the map.

tanod

when is my burrito
Snah said:
The only way to play the game is with Lock Strafe controls.

You also get MUCH better camera movement for the verticle axis...makes for viewing the environments in all their glory much easier.

Maybe on my second play-through I need to try the lock-strafe. I've been playing with the traditional the entire time. Never even tried L-S. I need to finish my first playthrough though. Counting down the minutes until I get off work.

satori

Only 2 more hours til I am off work! Gah this game is so fun. I have lost touch with Console gaming for a good while now. (damn you MMOs!) I do not want it to end....but I can not help playing this.

*ahem* I think I am having a fever, time to go home!

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Onix said:
I would guess its a combination of the TV's settings, and its processor. Edge Enhancement, etc. coupled with the games color pallete, etc., plus scaling = unpredictable results.

Since you have an SXRD, try a little experiment when you get home. Switch your TV to 'vivid' and take a look at the results 0_0. I tried it last night ... you WILL be scared.

The edge enhancement, plus blown-out contrast, turns the game into a mess. I'm betting that's what many people are seeing. The SXRD's have good scaling, but some 1080ps aren't as good with that ... so they're probably getting even worse results >_<.

Basically, they're starting out with a shit looking image, and then adding scaling artifiacts to it as well. Then on top of all that, if they have a TV with a noticeable picture grid ... it ain't gonna be pretty.

Calibration FTW.

This is very, very true. My TVs are ISF calibrated... though I sometimes have to adjust based on game.

I am about 8 or 9 hours in and the game is excellent. I love how the platforming segments are back with a vengence, this game I think has the best mix of action and platforming of the whole series.

My only issue is that so far this game seems to just be a collection of a lot of the best aspects of the previous games without much new. There are new gadgets and weapons but so far nothing major like how the second game introduced so many modes (space flight, giant clank, etc.) or how the third game had the base defense missions or the Qwark mini game. I havn't seen anything that new that I can identify this game with.

Doesn't matter much though cause the game is excellent.

acklame

just got to the third planet.

LOVE the game so far! The style and enemy designs are awesome, so is the humor, graphics, and gameplay. Kick ass weapons too.

dralla

js, does the hidden weapon have an upgrade tree too? I need to know before I spend all my Raritarnium on the omega Groovitron

CSSer

dralla said:
js, does the hidden weapon have an upgrade tree too? I need to know before I spend all my Raritarnium on the omega Groovitron

The RYNO IV? Yep, but it seems kind of weak without any upgrades. It does ~690 damage, where as my upgraded version 5 negotiator does ~3000. The alpha disruptor is the strongest with ~11000 for a fully charged shot.

WasabiKing said:
To the story writers: YOU SONS OF BITCHES!
??? I need to finish today.

I wanted to say the writing feels VERY Simpsons to me, in a good way (massive Simpsons fan). The part when
Ratchet is knocked out by the cryo sleep
felt like a signature Homer moment. LOL Captain Quark even uses the
"a little from column A, a little from Column B"
line :lol

Snah

Banned
For those that have beaten the game: Favorite graphics/ levels?

Mine are:

Igliak - Best grapics in the entire game.

Corbalia - Love the graphics in the port area.

Dante

The game really does have some of the best voice talent out there. Jesus some of the pirate stuff had me rolling.

Talking about their 401k plan etc...:lol

Thrakier

Tested again, played with the settings...AGAIN...no changes. There is aliasing, most of it on ratchet himself (head, legs, wrench). Will test it tomorrow via scart-rgb on a tube-tv. if the jaggies are there too I'm right and you are wrong. ;)

J-Rzez

jstevenson said:
Actually Secret Agent Clank occurs before RCF.

PSN side-scrolling Clank spin-off, you heard it here first!

And 2million raritanium even with the multiplier is a little too extreme for my tastes thank you very much :p

-viper- said:
You forgot the 10.5/10 given by Sony Defense Force.
I don't get it, you're being far to vague :lol

Best graphics - The comet level, can't remember name. I've never been so distracted by the background of a level before.
Thrakier, trust me JS is right :D and he always will be.

theultimo

J-Rzez said:
PSN side-scrolling Clank spin-off, you heard it here first!

And 2million raritanium even with the multiplier is a little too extreme for my tastes thank you very much :p
Its not that bad, build the multiplier in the Arena (Just don't get hit), then find some chests, easy money.

deepbrown

Thrakier said:
Tested again, played with the settings...AGAIN...no changes. There is aliasing, most of it on ratchet himself (head, legs, wrench). Will test it tomorrow via scart-rgb on a tube-tv. if the jaggies are there too I'm right and you are wrong. ;)

74720_med.jpg

Doesn't look jaggy to me...

Thrakier

deepbrown said:
74720_med.jpg

Doesn't look jaggy to me...

You can't take pictures of jaggies...at least not the way you tried to. the picture is blurred. even ps2 games would look fine with pictures like that. Like I said, I'll test it tomorrow on an other tv and if it's there to the jaggies there because they are in the game.

deepbrown

Thrakier said:
You can't take pictures of jaggies...at least not the way you tried to. the picture is blurred. even ps2 games would look fine with pictures like that. Like I said, I'll test it tomorrow on an other tv and if it's there to the jaggies there because they are in the game.

You want direct feed pictures? I can find them for you if you like. Though if the problem is with your tv...then only photos of the game running on your tv will help. This picture may be blurry...but there aren't any blurred jaggies on me old ratchet boy.

Top Bottom