• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction Official Thread

joesmokey

Having a blast with the game so far. Still early in the game, just finished the
ship sequence

Gameplay is so damn polished and fun, and the graphics are awesome of course. Only issues I'm having with the game is that my bluetooth connection acts up much more than before (hiccups in reading input, etc.). Presentation seems incredibly polished, have only seen frame drops in the ship sequence and haven't noticed any screen tearing yet, so that's a huge plus. There are some odd graphical glitches here and there, but nothing major.

It's so easy to get sucked into the game and play it level after level, I love how the loading is disguised. Can't wait to keep upgrading the weapons :)

Bebpo

Banned
I like how (at least in the later half) every level has an entire secret optional level full of fun and challenging platforming antics.

zombi

sleeping_dragon said:
PS3 GOTY without a doubt!!
True, but there has literally been no competition this year (Oblivion cant count).
On the visual end of the game, at first I thought the graphics were alright, but then I started noticing how the textures hold up to lighting. Oh god, the shadows. The shadows in the pirate planet were amazing. The game is constantly flooring me now, every level introduces something new visually. The game is just good ole fun.

Here's my main complaint with the game.......

Why the hell is Lair still the only game that can be played with remote play? I'd play this amazing game on my psp during my own wedding. This game floors me with it's simple fun, clever weapons, witty dialogue, and beautiful graphics.

I had another solid night playing the game, and it continues to be awesome

Although i have once again run into the delima i always face when playing R&C games. I spend a lot of time leveling up my weapons, but when i max them out to LVL5 i then stop using them. I feel like i'm missing out on XP for other weapons if i ever use maxed out weapons.

So then it begs the question...why do i focus so much on leveling up weapons! ARG!

It happens every time.

Elbrain said:
I just saw that and I cant stop laughing my ass off HAHAHAHA. I can't believe that score still hahaha.

What i still can't believe is the comment that its doing too much that it loses its identity. I'm 8 planets in or so and i haven't seen the game do anything that is out of character of what i expect from a R&C game. Its the most bizarre criticism to have for the game.

Ploid 3.0

gketter said:
I had another solid night playing the game, and it continues to be awesome

Although i have once again run into the delima i always face when playing R&C games. I spend a lot of time leveling up my weapons, but when i max them out to LVL5 i then stop using them. I feel like i'm missing out on XP for other weapons if i ever use maxed out weapons.

So then it begs the question...why do i focus so much on leveling up weapons! ARG!

It happens every time.

What i still can't believe is the comment that its doing too much that it loses its identity. I'm 8 planets in or so and i haven't seen the game do anything that is out of character of what i expect from a R&C game. Its the most bizarre criticism to have for the game.

I do the same with weapons. It's good to spread the love, and it also kinda add an artificial difficulty. Using a weapon you know is lacking for the monsters you're fighting just so you can get some exp on it.

Ploid 3.0 said:
I do the same with weapons. It's good to spread the love, and it also kinda add an artificial difficulty. Using a weapon you know is lacking for the monsters you're fighting just so you can get some exp on it.

Yea usually the grenade type weapons start to get under used when i play a R&C game. Although that nanohive weapon is great! Thats one grenade type i love using, and setting up traps

Arsenic

Ragnarok10 said:
Poster I got from Insomniac. Way more signatures than I was expecting :D Ted Price left of Clank's head.
Ahh i've been spoiled.

I probably should be getting mine soon too then, hopefully. Hopefully. :D

Grats on the riddle though. I could never solve them.

Crisis

Banned
Loudninja said:
So what do you guys rate this game :D?

From what I have played so far if we have to assign a numerical value I would give it an 8.5-9. Game's kind of easy and that detracts a bit for me. Otherwise, it's great.

Belfast

Hey, JS, do you guys have any plans for the "worlds" shown in
the hologram pictures found in Apogee Station? Because those look like some really awesome places to go! Hell, it was just a cool effect in general. Maybe even concept art for areas in the next game? ;)

Bebpo

Banned
I'm guessing DLC will be new weapons or further upgrades for existing weapons + some arena challenges.

A new actual planet would be way too much work, so weapons seem like they make the most sense.

jakster4u

steve said:
Simply the best videogame I've played in years.

I'm on Sargasso (the Dino planet) and my mind is officially blown. This really is a game that deserves to sell consoles. Sony needs to promote the HELL out of this title.

And amazingly, it's not the visuals that are doing it for me. Although they are utterly gorgeous, it's the gameplay that has me completely enthralled. And with the utter and complete lack of loading (disguised cleverly), there's never a moment to sit back, take a deep breath, and take it all in. It's just level after level, scene after scene, of new enemies, new worlds and new challenges.

This game is simply brilliant.

I'm just wondering if you have never played any of the other games, because their all this good, but ToD has some really nice graphics.

Chris R

How long is the average play through? Is there incentive for another play through after the first? I know the game is "easy" but what are the chances of a "Hard Mode" DLC on PSN?

Just seeing if I should purchase this now or wait for a few months.

Thrakier

deepbrown said:
You want direct feed pictures? I can find them for you if you like. Though if the problem is with your tv...then only photos of the game running on your tv will help. This picture may be blurry...but there aren't any blurred jaggies on me old ratchet boy.

Direct Feed doesn't help either because mostly they are better than ingame because of more antialiasing. like I said, I'll try it on another tv today and if the aliasing is there too it's in the game and some of you guys just don't notice it.

deepbrown

Thrakier said:
Direct Feed doesn't help either because mostly they are better than ingame because of more antialiasing. like I said, I'll try it on another tv today and if the aliasing is there too it's in the game and some of you guys just don't notice it.

There IS aliasing in the game...it's not running at 16xAA. It's 4xAA with some kind of smoothing, or the way they shade their characters, colours used to lower the visibility of AA. It's in the engine...it looks (the demo) extrememly smooth, yet sharp here. Running in 720p on 720p Samsung....try it on one of them, because it looks amazing.

Thrakier

deepbrown said:
There IS aliasing in the game...it's not running at 16xAA. It's 4xAA with some kind of smoothing, or the way they shade their characters, colours used to lower the visibility of AA. It's in the engine...it looks (the demo) extrememly smooth, yet sharp here. Running in 720p on 720p Samsung....try it on one of them, because it looks amazing.

First you post a picture and say "no aliasing for me", now you say there is aliasing. so did you see aliasing or not? I can see it esspecially on spots where the lighting hits an object. For example the Quark statue in the demo level. I do not say that there is much, but it's not perfect either. I would say a b+ for antialiasing.

MrTroubleMaker

Gold Member
Belfast said:
Hey, JS, do you guys have any plans for the "worlds" shown in
the hologram pictures found in Apogee Station? Because those look like some really awesome places to go! Hell, it was just a cool effect in general. Maybe even concept art for areas in the next game? ;)
I hope so :)

McLovin

You know a game is good when you pop it in for the first time(around 5pm) then wake up the next day in front of the tv because you tired yourself out from playing so much :p

Pimpwerx

Played a lot last night. Great game. Am I supposed to be able to upgrade weapons so easily? I don't remember it being this easy in the PSP R&C game. Plasma and Combustor are both V5 with max upgrades, and I'm only at like the second or third world. PEACE.

patsu

I'm stucked.

On the Lombax's home planet where I need to find 6 components for the wreck...
I found 5 and have 1 more area to explore. It's the one where the opposite ledge is taller than where I'm standing, separated by a cliff. So I can't high jump there. I tried to climb the central tower and hover there. but it still won't work. What do I need to do to get there ?

There is another ledge that is similar but it's lower, so I can simply helijump there. This one seems too tall. I tried switching to thrust packs and the wings but they don't help too.

Captain N

patsu said:
I'm stucked.

On the Lombax's home planet where I need to find 6 components for the wreck...
I found 5 and have 1 more area to explore. It's the one where the opposite ledge is taller than where I'm standing, separated by a cliff. So I can't high jump there. I tried to climb the central tower and hover there. but it still won't work. What do I need to do to get there ?

There is another ledge that is similar but it's lower, so I can simply helijump there. This one seems too tall. I tried switching to thrust packs and the wings but they don't help too.

I don't remember there being a ledge that was hard to reach in that world. Did you get the part with Clank already? That was the last one I got, but I'm not sure if it was supposed to be the last one or I just got it last.

Passed it yesterday. Great but still doesn't surpass UYA in my mind. I'm bummed that they took out the bubble shield, made the turrets slower, and changed up the little robots that followed you around.

Snah

Banned
Pimpwerx said:
Played a lot last night. Great game. Am I supposed to be able to upgrade weapons so easily? I don't remember it being this easy in the PSP R&C game. Plasma and Combustor are both V5 with max upgrades, and I'm only at like the second or third world. PEACE.

The other weapons get a lot more difficult to upgrade.

Raist

Banned
FoxhoundNL said:
Allright, I received my copy today from VGP. I <3 Videogamesplus, seriously. They are amazingly fast...

And now, I'm gonna play :D.

BlindMonkey said:
Yay, just got my game here in the UK.

Videogamesplus FTMFW

Sigh, my hasn't shipped today ._.

thumb_sad_kitten.jpg

patsu

Captain N said:
I don't remember there being a ledge that was hard to reach in that world. Did you get the part with Clank already? That was the last one I got, but I'm not sure if it was supposed to be the last one or I just got it last.

Must be because I'm new to the controls then. Need to figure out how to jump to a higher ledge across a small ravine.

McLovin

patsu said:
Must be because I'm new to the controls then. Need to figure out how to jump to a higher ledge across a small ravine.

Isn't that the ledge where you jump down from in the beginning of the stage? I made that mistake too. Keep looking around.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Can someone PLEASE tell me why this topic ain't stickied?

Nino

*LOVES* Bob Marley
HAY GUYS I really want this game but I'm in PAL land, please tell me we got an early release as well.

reminder

Nino said:
HAY GUYS I really want this game but I'm in PAL land, please tell me we got an early release as well.

No, it just got delayed another week here. The new release date for europe is November 14.

impirius

Captain N said:
i remember that ledge, but i don't think you need to worry about it. the last place i found was behind a pile of rubble to the right of the water area building; you have to use your swingshot to get across a chasm. the others were, uhh.... the water area, clank's level in the mine, up the spiral thing in the middle, up the magnetic track, and uhhh... another one i don't remember. hope that's not it! ----sorry for the formatting, btw; cat ate my left shift key.

Top Bottom